The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:06 am Anyone predicting any trades?

Does not have to be the Canucks, can be any team.
Yes I'm predicting trades. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:04 am
DHA wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 am Can someone confirm a 4:30pm Friday start for the Draft?
Yup:

https://www.nhl.com/nhl-draft
2018 NHL Draft

Round 1 | Fri, June 22 (7:30 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN, TVAS)
Rounds 2-7 | Sat, June 23 (11 a.m. ET; NHLN, SN, TVAS)

American Airlines Center, Dallas TX
Thank you SL - going to so much fun watching this one unfold....who’s going start the Live NHL Draft Thread!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

As long as Elmer doesn’t trade any picks or any of Brock, Bo or Elias I am all good. I’d like to see him make a play for a good young d man, doesnt matter which side he plays. Just not sure he has the pieces to land anyone significant. Barring that I’m all for moving all of Hutton, Granlund and Baertschi for whatever picks you can get. Thin out the herd of mediocrity
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Just for fun, this was ISS final June rankings last year. I don't think they have released their final for 2018.
https://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-31-june-2017/
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:23 pm With the rankings at 2-11 as close as they are, this is the factor that makes me think Boqvist likely has the highest ceiling in that group.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 am My gut tells me Boquist is our target and I'm ok with that.
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 pm I got the feeling that if Dobson isn’t available we are selecting one of Boqvist or Hughes.
DHA wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 am The Canucks aren’t saying much about Boquivist, I wonder if this is the d they are targeting...

I don’t know why I just feel like JB will take Boq or Hughes over Dobs and Bouch.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 am Just for fun, this was ISS final June rankings last year. I don't think they have released their final for 2018.
https://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-31-june-2017/
Pettersson ranked 20th. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This "IS" the last one from Hockey News.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... -go-to-120
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:16 am As long as Elmer doesn’t trade any picks or any of Brock, Bo or Elias I am all good. I’d like to see him make a play for a good young d man, doesnt matter which side he plays. Just not sure he has the pieces to land anyone significant. Barring that I’m all for moving all of Hutton, Granlund and Baertschi for whatever picks you can get. Thin out the herd of mediocrity
Yeah Granlund is on his last legs here. Doesn’t seem to be Green type of player. Green wants himbon the bottom 6 but I see better options coming down the pipe. I’m a Gaunce fan. Gaudette will our pressure on his shelf life. I like Leipsic in the bottom 6. An energy player. I imagine Sutter will be 3rd line centre depending on Pettersson and Gaudette’s year. Gagne 3rd line. Just don’t see a ton of room for Granlund. Curious how Goldobin will come out of the gates. No denying his puck skills

Baertschi is interesting. If Dahlen has a great camp it puts pressure on the current wingers. It’s make or break for Baertschi.

But yeah Hutton, Baertschi and Granlund should be moved out sooner or later and hopefully for 2019 draft picks.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

DHA wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 am To me Hughes and Boq are risky picks that have the potential to be much better than Bouch or Dobs if the offensive upside they have displayed translates to the NHL and if their d game gets better.
I think most would agree with that analysis.
DHA wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 am I don’t know why I just feel like JB will take Boq or Hughes over Dobs and Bouch.
I would say that at this stage of an admitted re-build, it makes more sense to use a first round pick on a player with a higher ceiling, rather than a higher floor. If the Canucks ownership/management group agrees, that would be a reason to draft as you have indicated.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:06 pm
DHA wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 am To me Hughes and Boq are risky picks that have the potential to be much better than Bouch or Dobs if the offensive upside they have displayed translates to the NHL and if their d game gets better.
I think most would agree with that analysis.
DHA wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 am I don’t know why I just feel like JB will take Boq or Hughes over Dobs and Bouch.

I would say that at this stage of an admitted re-build, it makes more sense to use a first round pick on a player with a higher ceiling, rather than a higher floor
. If the Canucks ownership/management group agrees, that would be a reason to draft as you have indicated.
Well said

Homers vs batting %
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Habs are an interesting watch. Their centre position is quite putrid especially after trading sometimes centre - Galchenyuk. That leaves them with sometime centre - Drouin whom isn’t truly a natural centre since he’s played mostly on the wing. The other centre is Danault. I don’t think you can find another team in the NHL with a worst centre core than the Habs.

Adding another winger in a Domi. Wing is the least position they need help in. The only decent centre in the system is Poehling and his ceiling is considered to be two-way 2nd line centre at best

I’m actually starting to believe these Kotkaniemi/Habs rumors. Makes me wonder if they’d be willing to trade back to 7th? There is a very good chance Kotkaniemi will still be there at 7. There are also other options for centres in Hayton and Veleno at 7 if Kotkaniemi is gone
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:03 pm. Makes me wonder if they’d be willing to trade back to 7th?
If the Canucks make that trade, who would you want at #3?

If Kotkaniemi gets drafted at his ranking, he could even be available at the NYI 11/12 picks. That might be a worthwhile trade for NYI to trade up for an elite winger, but I don't think it'll be worth the price for the Canucks.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:53 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:03 pm. Makes me wonder if they’d be willing to trade back to 7th?

If Kotkaniemi gets drafted at his ranking, he could even be available at the NYI 11/12 picks. That might be a worthwhile trade for NYI to trade up for an elite winger, but I don't think it'll be worth the price for the Canucks.

We could throw in Gaunce :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Oki will be contrary ! We got one of the smallest teams in the league. So Bouchard or Dobbs over Bouchier
. Both have decent size and speed and a 2 way game. Our D is overloaded with small guys.

And please dont draft anymore swedes . Tired of no hitters.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:19 am
ESQ wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:53 pm

We could throw in Gaunce :mrgreen:
Sutter+7th for 3rd+62nd