The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Lancer »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:09 amFor the Canuck’s pick (admittedly using positional need to break some ties between some pretty evenly ranked talents), I’m thinking Dobson = Boqvist > Tkachuk > Wahlstrom > Hughes > Bouchard > Kotkaniemi
I'd switch Wahlstrom and Tkachuk. Benning and Linden like their forwards with lethal shots. I think Virtanen was an outlier in terms of their tendencies, though his shot was impressive in junior. Not that Tkachuk's shot blows, but Wahlstrom's looks pretty Boeser-esque. Looking at Boqvist's highlights, he seems to have a similar wrister to Pettersson - quick-release, little back-movement, and lightning speed on the shot. Boqvist will need coaching, though, and it may be a delicate thing trying to harness that mustang.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Maybe its because this year I'm following the moves up and down the scout rankings more than usual, but I feel like this draft is full of wildcards and there is very little consensus.

A month ago I looked at centers and thought it would be too much of a reach for the Canucks to get Kotkaniemi at 7, now everyone's talking about him going at 3!

After all this discussion, I still have 0 idea who will be available at #7. With so little consensus, whoever gets the stud out of picks 3-10 is going to look like a genius, and there will be at least one GM who gets burned in the top-10.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Lancer wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:43 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:09 amFor the Canuck’s pick (admittedly using positional need to break some ties between some pretty evenly ranked talents), I’m thinking Dobson = Boqvist > Tkachuk > Wahlstrom > Hughes > Bouchard > Kotkaniemi
I'd switch Wahlstrom and Tkachuk. Benning and Linden like their forwards with lethal shots. I think Virtanen was an outlier in terms of their tendencies, though his shot was impressive in junior. Not that Tkachuk's shot blows, but Wahlstrom's looks pretty Boeser-esque. Looking at Boqvist's highlights, he seems to have a similar wrister to Pettersson - quick-release, little back-movement, and lightning speed on the shot. Boqvist will need coaching, though, and it may be a delicate thing trying to harness that mustang.
For the Canucks I'd rather have Tkachuk even if Wahlstrom has a better shot. They have snipers in Boeser and Pettersson, and lots of prospect depth on the right-side with Boeser, Virtanen and Lind, plus other b level prospects. I don't think Wahlstrom will be a centre. He'll likely be a top line right winger. For the Canucks, there is very little significant depth on the left side. Perhaps Gadjovich if his skating improves a great deal, but he is a b level prospect right now. As well, the Canucks have no serious assholes that will go get those ugly net front goals. That is not Wahlstrom's game either. Tkachuk fits the Canucks better, and brings different attributes that make him a better pick for the Canucks, but if we end up with Wahlstrom I won't be heart-broken. I'd just rather have a top line power forward left-winger, than another top line skilled right-winger.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Is it true? One week away?

I’m getting excited......
The only HW the Canucks need
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Wahlstrom has played center his entire life until this year when he was moved to right wing to allow Jack Hughes to play center.... just saying...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

TDA Rum wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:54 pm Wahlstrom has played center his entire life until this year when he was moved to right wing to allow Jack Hughes to play center.... just saying...
I don't think Wahlstrom gets to the Canucks, I think the Americano's Tkachuk/Hughes/Wally all get picked prior to #7.

Leaving JB with the hardest decision of his life picking between Dobson or Bouchard........................maybe BOQ.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It is really close between Dobson & Bouchard.
Same kind of plays, shots, passes. Both good at finding open ice.
You can watch 15 yo 20 minutes of pure highlights of each however;
"Generally", I found a difference in the extended versions of the footage.
In the Q, Dobson had more room and time.
It seemed to me as though Bouchard had to make his plays and get off his shots quicker in the OHL.
Bouchard has been leader and captain.
Their size and weight is almost at par, so;

Trades are starting now so anything could happen, having said that; If we keep the pick, I seriously think Benning tries for one of these two.
That may have always been the plan but with the News on Juolevi, I think that could be considered a major nudge. It sure as hell would be for me.
Honestly, I'm fine with either. No interest in the smaller Dees though.
I'm sure Jim has seen plenty one these two and had his scouts watching in person as well.

Then again, maybe something :shock: is going to happen at the podium and like last year, we will utter WTF. ;)
Last edited by Mickey107 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:51 am It is really close between Dobson & Bouchaed.
It seemed to me as though Bouchard had to make his plays and get off his shots quicker in the OHL.

Trades are starting now so anything could happen, having said that; If we keep the pick, I seriously think Benning tries for one of these two.
That may have always been the plan but with the News on Juolevi, I think that could be considered a major nudge. It sure as hell would be for me.
I'm sure Jim has seen plenty one these two and had his scouts watching in person as well.

Then again, maybe something :shock: is going to happen at the podium and like last year, we will utter WTF. ;)
the “news” on Juolevi has nothing to do with anything. They need talent at D, C and LW in that order. Any “news” mean fuck all.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

OK, then, Aqulini has decided to sell the team and the new owner already has it approved to move the team :devil:
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

micky107 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:51 am It is really close between Dobson & Bouchard.

Looking at the Capitals = talent over everything, you take Bouchard IF he's avail at #7.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bouchard is in that Garrison/Aucoin/Griffin Reinhart category of defencemen. He will struggle with the pace of the NHL with his slow motor, average skating and average edge work Will struggle transitioning the puck out at speed with the fast NHL dump and chase forecheck.

People need to also consider the amount of ice time and PP time he got this year. It boggles the mind how people focus on his point totals this season like he will do the same in the NHL in which he will not. I have yet to see a convincing slapper from the guy, he’s all wrister but if you want a good wrister with speed then select Boqvist as he has a wickedly accurate shot and can skate like the wind with terrific edge work. I got the feeling that if Dobson isn’t available we are selecting one of Boqvist or Hughes. The team needs more of that elite stick handling hands/skating/skill set in the lineup. Plugging in the slugs is easier than acquiring top shelf speed and skill

Stay the fuck away from Bouchard
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 pm Bouchard is in that Garrison/Aucoin/Griffin Reinhart category of defencemen. He will struggle with the pace of the NHL with his slow motor, average skating and average edge work Will struggle transitioning the puck out at speed with the fast NHL dump and chase forecheck.

People need to also consider the amount of ice time and PP time he got this year. It boggles the mind how people focus on his point totals this season like he will do the same in the NHL in which he will not. I have yet to see a convincing slapper from the guy, he’s all wrister but if you want a good wrister with speed then select Boqvist as he has a wickedly accurate shot and can skate like the wind with terrific edge work. I got the feeling that if Dobson isn’t available we are selecting one of Boqvist or Hughes. The team needs more of that elite stick handling hands/skating/skill set in the lineup. Plugging in the slugs is easier than acquiring top shelf speed and skill

Stay the fuck away from Bouchard
You sure are worried about Bouchard. Back around one moon cycle, you liked his game.
Boqvist is still a bit small but not as wee as Hughs. He is just too petite.

Not a perfect science, but I look at the average defense size.
Biega is signed and we will no doubt keep him as a spare like always.
Don't know what will happen with Stecher but 90% tells me he stays. He is small but not light.
In a way, I consider Tanev our smallest. Narrow bone structure does not allow him to carry the weight and muscle,
so he gets hurt a ton because he's got heart. Tanev's brother actually has a build more conducive for NHL play.

The whole thing sucks because there are computer mechanisms that can pretty accurately portray what someone will become in 2,5,10 years etc.
You can even add in what his job will be.

But shit: that would take the fun out of drafting, indeed. :mrgreen:
"evolution"
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

The Canucks aren’t saying much about Boquivist, I wonder if this is the d they are targeting. To me Hughes and Boq are risky picks that have the potential to be much better than Bouch or Dobs if the offensive upside they have displayed translates to the NHL and if their d game gets better.

I don’t know why I just feel like JB will take Boq or Hughes over Dobs and Bouch.

Can someone confirm a 4:30pm Friday start for the Draft?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

DHA wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 am Can someone confirm a 4:30pm Friday start for the Draft?
Yup:

https://www.nhl.com/nhl-draft
2018 NHL Draft

Round 1 | Fri, June 22 (7:30 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN, TVAS)
Rounds 2-7 | Sat, June 23 (11 a.m. ET; NHLN, SN, TVAS)

American Airlines Center, Dallas TX
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Anyone predicting any trades?

Does not have to be the Canucks, can be any team.