Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Micky
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by

Post by Micky »

Per wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
SKYO wrote:To get Draisaitl...
Does anyone seriously think the coil will move this player?
They moved Gretzky, didn't they? :look:
Not Messier ;)
"evolution"

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

SKYO wrote:I wonder if Eriksson will eventually won't want to be a part of the Canucks rebuild and OK's a trade to say a team like the Predators, whom have cap space now that Fisher retired.

IIRC David Poile wanted or expressed interest in possibly signing Eriksson when he was an UFA
Ahead of the opening of the NHL free agent market Friday, the Predators have expressed interest in and spoken to pending free agent forwards Andrew Ladd and Loui Eriksson, according to agent J.P. Barry.
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/ ... /86509548/

Granted
Eriksson has provided strong puck possession and goals-for over the past three seasons for the Bruins, something that Vancouver has been lacking outside of the Sedins.
Fancy Stats:
Eriksson (Van) second line scoring, plays all sits, draws penalties, slightly buried, slightly high QoC. pic.twitter.com/jp8XOJWLnu
— Micah Blake McCurdy (@IneffectiveMath) July 1, 2016
But who knows, maybe coach Green can utilize Eriksson's skillset much better than Willie did, this situation is much preferred.
Lol Eriksson is only moved for another boat anchor coming back. He turns 33 next season and has five more years left on his deal. He has the compete level of a gerbil so I think this downslide will continue. If his name was Iginla or Doan or Shanahan in their mid 30s I'd have hope that he turns it around. He's just collecting a paycheque at this time and while he may rebound to 50 points this coming season and next it was still a very bad signing.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

I'm not sure Mondi. I'm sure Spin Doctor could help you out. Retaining on Luongo and Hansen is kicking the team in the nuts this coming deadline. Two very poor moves by both Eye Bags and Elmer. Should have told Florida and San Jose to fuck off. And Higgins being bought out was also dumb. He shredded his ankle and took all year to heal but unlike Doc and Toppers buddy Prust wasn't a team cancer. He was averaging 40 points a year in Canucks colours before the injury. There was no need to buy him out to play scrubs like Chalut and Megna and still pay Higgins. Pure stupidity.

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Mondi wrote:Just spit balling here, but what would the repercussions be of an Eriksson buyout?

He's got 5 more years, lets say the Canucks are "competitive" in 1, 2 or 3 years, and need that $6 million to do something at the TDD or in UFA?

I've not kept up on the confusing rules around this...is it relevant that he's under 35 when signed the contract or is it relevant that he is bought out before 35?

Also is there anything stopping the Canucks from buying out this player this year with a buyout on the books for Higgins and retained salary for Bob Luongo and Jan Hansen?
What I would be inclined to do is to play Eriksson, with the twins, all year, no matter how bad, how good, or anything in between, barring injury, of course.
It's what they wanted and what most expected to see anyways.
If the Sedins retire, which I doubt, but if they do, he may want to move on, himself, hard to know.
Sticking with that line creates, I think, a competitive situation. The elders want to show they're still great and the youth wants their second line time.
Could make for an interesting year, AND, more importantly, dramatize to the organization and the fans moves that should be made.
Just one of my theories...bit drastic maybe. :hmmm:
"evolution"

Nucknuck
AHL Prospect

Post by Nucknuck »

micky107 wrote:
Mondi wrote:Just spit balling here, but what would the repercussions be of an Eriksson buyout?

He's got 5 more years, lets say the Canucks are "competitive" in 1, 2 or 3 years, and need that $6 million to do something at the TDD or in UFA?

I've not kept up on the confusing rules around this...is it relevant that he's under 35 when signed the contract or is it relevant that he is bought out before 35?

Also is there anything stopping the Canucks from buying out this player this year with a buyout on the books for Higgins and retained salary for Bob Luongo and Jan Hansen?
What I would be inclined to do is to play Eriksson, with the twins, all year, no matter how bad, how good, or anything in between, barring injury, of course.
It's what they wanted and what most expected to see anyways.
If the Sedins retire, which I doubt, but if they do, he may want to move on, himself, hard to know.
Sticking with that line creates, I think, a competitive situation. The elders want to show they're still great and the youth wants their second line time.
Could make for an interesting year, AND, more importantly, dramatize to the organization and the fans moves that should be made.
Just one of my theories...bit drastic maybe. :hmmm:
Last year proved that putting Eriksson with the Sedins 5 on 5 just didn't work. They were too slow as a line and got bottled up in their own zone way too often. The Sedins need someone with speed with them to keep opposing teams honest. One of either Gagner, Granlund, or Goldobin would be a better fit.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Nucknuck wrote:Last year proved that putting Eriksson with the Sedins 5 on 5 just didn't work. They were too slow as a line and got bottled up in their own zone way too often.

The Sedins
need someone with speed with them to keep opposing teams honest. One of either Gagner, Granlund, or Goldobin would be a better fit.
Sedins and Granlund have good chemistry, Grans seems to have synced up well with their give and go cycling game, knows he has to move in and out of scoring lanes to snipe in those passes.

Grans could be a unsung hero if he stays healthy and has the full season with the twins.

The three combos should be:
Baertschi-Horvat
Sedins-Grans
Gagner-Eriksson

Tack on any complimentary winger to Bo and Gagner lines.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Completely missing my point in keeping Eriksson with the Sedins.
"evolution"

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

I wouldn't force any line combos and I hope TG see's the same, just mix and match until you find some natural chemistry forming, or has a lot of potential.

In any case this young coach will learn a lot in his first year as a pro NHL bench boss.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

fresh off the press..
@brianlawton9

With what I am hearing I would not be surprised if David Pasternak @NHLBruins is traded. #contractproblems @NHLNetwork

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Bubbles McKenzie, your thoughts on Eriksson and Sutter. None of us have never heard your thoughts on them them before. Curious
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Hey Bubbles McKenzie, your thoughts on Eriksson and Sutter. None of us have never heard your thoughts on them them before. Curious
They are Elmer's Booth and Ballard. Thing he is he makes so many other fuckups it's hard to differentiate which one is the worst . He's Hairy Kneel, Jake Milford and Jack Gordon all rolled into one booze chugging , bryll cream helmet wearing , scotch guard huffing wizard.

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Hey Bubbles McKenzie, your thoughts on Eriksson and Sutter. None of us have never heard your thoughts on them them before. Curious
They are Elmer's Booth and Ballard. Thing he is he makes so many other fuckups it's hard to differentiate which one is the worst . He's Hairy Kneel, Jake Milford and Jack Gordon all rolled into one booze chugging , bryll cream helmet wearing , scotch guard huffing wizardGenius.
:lol:
Epic

Tweaked a bit
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

micky107 wrote:
Per wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
SKYO wrote:To get Draisaitl...
Does anyone seriously think the coil will move this player?
They moved Gretzky, didn't they? :look:
Not Messier ;)
So aim for McDavid?

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Point is, Oilers won another cup without the "Great One", being captained by their ex #2 guy.
"evolution"

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

With Juolevi almost ready for the NHL an argument could made that beloved Ben Hutton could be dealt for a young scoring forward who has size. I'd wish Edler was tradeable but with his gillis made NTC, with family in Vancouver yada yada that seems unlikely.

I'd look at Columbus Blue Jacket RFA 6'3 221lb, 23 year old Josh Anderson, not the most skilled but he did get 17 goals in a limited role last year, plays with a mean streak, throws his weight around and can scrap it out with the tough guys.

Being a right shot he'd be a perfect fit with the Sedins in what could be their final year or two here, and what better way to end it than to have some protection on their line with a player who can pop in some goals to boot.

I'd like to keep Hutton for the long haul as he should be a 25-30+point LD, but if Juolevi is ready and Edler+MDZ not moving on from here for the next two years - in a Canuck sea of smaller skilled forwards, Ben Hutton is a blue chip trading piece to land the team a young power forward this team desperately needs.

Jack Johnson is a UFA next summer & they seem to want to move on from injury prone Murray, so their LD is open for some youthful improvement.

Might have to add Granlund their finnish GM might approve with them adding a pick or two to even it out.

Defense not too bad after losing Hutton.

EDLER -- STECHER
MDZ -- TANEV
JUOLEVI -- GUDBRANSON
WIERCIOCH, BIEGA, HOLM