Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by

Post by Topper »

You use statistical analysis to model the numbers and read the story they tell.

Most of the fancy stat guys instead come up with an idea, then comb the numbers and stats to find a glimpse of support.

The other thing is, stats fall apart at their edges.

The premise behind all this is that shots equate to goals. I would argue that chances eventually equate to goals and chances are not always shots.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Topper wrote:You use statistical analysis to model the numbers and read the story they tell.

Most of the fancy stat guys instead come up with an idea, then comb the numbers and stats to find a glimpse of support.

The other thing is, stats fall apart at their edges.

The premise behind all this is that shots equate to goals. I would argue that chances eventually equate to goals and chances are not always shots.
Correlation does not equal causation. Most new age sport metrics are garbage. Garbage in garbage out. It seems like these MENSA candidates are trying to quantify completely intangible characteristics. Like when EG is on the ice he might take your head off if you stare at the puck. It may or may not directly affect what the puck carrier does, but is not measurable in any meaningful way.

The laws of the (statistical) jungle don't change.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Topper wrote: The premise behind all this is that shots equate to goals. I would argue that chances eventually equate to goals and chances are not always shots.
Agreed. EG hit goal posts twice in the first few games. Those two "shots" were never counted as shots on goal. However, those two "shots" or "chances" are much more legit than a shot from the center ice or behind the net.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Carlyee wrote:It seems like these MENSA candidates are trying to quantify completely intangible characteristics.
No doubt, why we had a brainiac in here a while back trying to quantify mentoring ability! :lol:

Had to punt his nerd ass all the way back to Hell...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

not to mention the popcorn fart making up 2nd and 3rd round draft odds
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah that glue-sniffing pocket-protector-wearing popcorn fart...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Strangelove wrote:
Carlyee wrote:It seems like these MENSA candidates are trying to quantify completely intangible characteristics.
No doubt, why we had a brainiac in here a while back trying to quantify mentoring ability! :lol:

Seriously?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Carlyee wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Seriously?
Yup, we SteveIrwined him, his name was Pauser.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Carlyee, check this out:
The_Pauser wrote: Who has Sutter helped develop? This is the first I've heard anyone suggest Sutter has been known for being awesome helping younger players develop, and in fact it goes completely against his advanced metrics and HERO chart.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Panthers still circling back on Gudbranson it appears, they love & want their el capitan back big time.
JasonBroughTSN

Heard from a source (not w/ the Canucks) that the Panthers still like Gudbranson. A few other teams interested too, per the source.
I'd ask for one of Florida's bigger young dmen in return and take a risk on Bjugstad, even though he'd be injured 10/20+ games every season, we could use the bigger Sutter I suppose, as Bjugstad can't pass either & is a gentle giant (low PIM), more suitable to wing from college to the nhl most of his points are goals.

If not Bjug than Borgstrom or another solid prospect.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:Panthers still circling back on Gudbranson it appears, they love & want their el capitan back big time.
JasonBroughTSN

Heard from a source (not w/ the Canucks) that the Panthers still like Gudbranson. A few other teams interested too, per the source.
I'd ask for one of Florida's bigger young dmen in return and take a risk on Bjugstad, even though he'd be injured 10/20+ games every season, we could use the bigger Sutter I suppose, as Bjugstad can't pass either & is a gentle giant (low PIM), more suitable to wing from college to the nhl most of his points are goals.

If not Bjug than Borgstrom or another solid prospect.
Why not just keep feeding the media stories about your desire to have him back, and then sign him as a free agent in a couple months?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Dreger suggests Flyers could be in trade mode, saying maybe Simmonds could be a trade chip.
“So then you’re left with making a trade. And it depends on the pieces that he’s willing to part with. If he were ever willing to trade Wayne Simmonds, well, there would be people lining up to acquire Wayne Simmonds. But beyond that, it gets a little more complicated because anyone looking at the Philadelphia Flyers would be trying to pick his pocket, and would want some of his younger guys.

“So I suspect he’s going to try to do something trade-wise; but as hard as we’ve been digging on that front, no names that are significant or that would catch the attention of anyone out there have surfaced just yet.”

Simmonds, 29, has has seven goals and seven assists through 26 games.

His cap hit is slightly less than $4 million and he has this season and next remaining on his six-year pact.

He has a modified no-trade clause through which he can submit a 12-team no-trade list.

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-sus ... ade-route/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I like Simmonds but the Canucks would be idiotic to try and trade for him at this point. Just sign Kane next summer for money instead of shipping assets out for a guy who is no better and would leave in 2019
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I like Simmonds but the Canucks would be idiotic to try and trade for him at this point. Just sign Kane next summer for money instead of shipping assets out for a guy who is no better and would leave in 2019
I\d say Simmonds is more valueable than Kane, at least for a few more years. And, seriously, what would Kane want to come here? How badly would we over-pay him? He'll want another long contract that will likely be an albatross.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I understand talking about Simmonds but Kane...?
Is it because we don't have a black guy?
If you need air...call it in