Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Does Tanev + 7 + Baertschi + Lind get it done for Karlsson? Canucks would obviously have a wink wink nudge agreement in place with EK.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:51 pm Does Tanev + 7 + Baertschi + Lind get it done for Karlsson? Canucks would obviously have a wink wink nudge agreement in place with EK.
Getting closer but i think they would want a better piece than Baerchi...something like Dahlen
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently Tampa’s offer for Tanev is garbage. Nobody’s. Not even one of their top prospects. If that’s the case keep him.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rumours that Vegas is offering Glass, Brannstrom and Tatar for Erik Karlsson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm Rumours that Vegas is offering Glass, Brannstrom and Tatar for Erik Karlsson
My offer is much better
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

You guys think Karlsson’s ankle is gonna make him less of a player now and in the future?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 pm You guys think Karlsson’s ankle is gonna make him less of a player now and in the future?
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/karlsson-reve ... y-1.868641

That's a really good question. He is dedicated, tough as nails and a world of talent but I still can't answer the question.
All I could say, speaking only for myself, is that if I were our owner, I don't think I could justify, (OK), a trade for him.
It would mean a massive chunk of our team, one way or another, for a player with just one year left on a contract.
A future contract would no doubt have to be agreed upon in the range of 13 or 14 million per, for 7 years.
And still, the question remains.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:32 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 pm You guys think Karlsson’s ankle is gonna make him less of a player now and in the future?
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/karlsson-reve ... y-1.868641

That's a really good question. He is dedicated, tough as nails and a world of talent but I still can't answer the question.
All I could say, speaking only for myself, is that if I were our owner, I don't think I could justify, (OK), a trade for him.
It would mean a massive chunk of our team, one way or another, for a player with just one year left on a contract.
A future contract would no doubt have to be agreed upon in the range of 13 or 14 million per, for 7 years.
And still, the question remains.
Anyone paying that kind of cap percentage to a single player won’t win a cup unless they developed said player and already have a strong prospect pool that can provide the breakout and support players required to win who are still on ELC’s.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

In 2014-15, year 1 of the Malkin deal, the Penguins had 30% of their cap tied up in Malkin and Crosby.

In 2018-19, they will have 23% of their cap tied up in Malkin and Crosby.

I honestly believed that the Pens were too top-heavy and wouldn't be competitive with that much cap in 2 players. Now, they've gotten a bit lucky with injuries, but with each passing year the Malkin and Crosby deals look better and better - Crosby has gone from the most expensive player in the league to the best bargain.

Not to say that Karlsson is worth $14 mil - I don't think he's seeking, nor will get, the max contract.

He is going to try to be the highest-paid defenceman in the league though (currently PK at $9 mil). I think Karlsson at $10 mil is do-able and well worth it.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Read that cap could reach $79-$80 next season.

Is that what we all assumed.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:47 pm Read that cap could reach $79-$80 next season.

Is that what we all assumed.
79.5 is what I saw on twitter earlier.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 pm In 2014-15, year 1 of the Malkin deal, the Penguins had 30% of their cap tied up in Malkin and Crosby.

In 2018-19, they will have 23% of their cap tied up in Malkin and Crosby.

I honestly believed that the Pens were too top-heavy and wouldn't be competitive with that much cap in 2 players. Now, they've gotten a bit lucky with injuries, but with each passing year the Malkin and Crosby deals look better and better - Crosby has gone from the most expensive player in the league to the best bargain.

Not to say that Karlsson is worth $14 mil - I don't think he's seeking, nor will get, the max contract.

He is going to try to be the highest-paid defenceman in the league though (currently PK at $9 mil). I think Karlsson at $10 mil is do-able and well worth it.
Karlsson at $10M is worth it.

I don't think any one player is worth more than 15% of the cap though.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Here is one way to use the cap space the Canucks have this year that I doubt any other club could match. Make Tavares the highest ever paid player in the NHL. How about we offer Tavares a one year 20 million dollar deal on a get to know us contract. The Canucks have the Sedins salary space of 14m plus the raised cap money so I think they could do it. After the one year the Canucks would be the only club able to offer a full 8 year deal to him. The understanding with Tavares would be a hand shake deal that part of the 20m would count towards his future contract if he likes the direction the team is going. If both parties agree during the season that this is working out he would get signed to another 8 x 8m deal. These two deals would take him from age 27 to age 36. How’s that for weaponizing our short term cap space?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:34 am How’s that for weaponizing our short term cap space?

While I applaud your savagery in that proposal, the max any player can take is 20% of the Cap, which for next year means $15.9 million is the max salary.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Damn! I hate rules!
Okay revised offer, 15.9m for the first year and then a 8 x 9m contract for the following years. More than I wanted in the following years but still the cost of a number one centre.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.