Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rikster
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by rikster »

The only real difference is that the Coilers rushes their kids way too fast.
lol, that's pretty much the point isn't it?

Since you don't like the Benning approach, I'm curious to know how you think the team should fill out its roster if it isn't putting kids in the lineup who aren't ready?

You can't have it both ways...

Take care...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rikster wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Since you don't like the Benning approach, I'm curious to know how you think the team should fill out its roster if it isn't putting kids in the lineup who aren't ready?

Take care...
Since the Canucks have very few kids ready to contribute at the NHL level, they need to fill out the roster with youngish maybes (Granlund, Baertschi,Pouliot, Stecher, Hutton etc) along with veterans on short term deals. Nothing longer than three years and in the case of a guy like Gagner it should have been two years. The Sutter and Eriksson deals for older non core players has to stop and never should have happen d in the first place. The term on those contracts is murder for two third line players. I’d have rather seen 7 million per over 4 years for Louis and a three year deal for 5.5 annually for Sutter. They would still be terrible contracts but two years shorter.

Next year is hardly going to be much better looking at the forward group and the NHLs worst defence all signed on for another year.
Horvat
Boeser
Sutter
Eriksson
Gagner
Leipsic
Virtanen
Gaunce
Sedin - likely
Sedin- likely
Baertschi - likely
Granlund- likely

Archibald
Goldobin- has to be waived
Boucher
Motte
Dowd

Pretty much the whole team is set with a gaggle or scrubs fighting over 4th line ice time. I see two core pieces up front with the potential of a 3rd if Virtanen can take a big step. There are a few other useful pieces there but all in all it’s an uninspiring group. Sure Pettersson and a couple others are on the way but it’s not a real high octane group. The D is in even worse shape with no core pieces on the roster moving forward unless Tanev can all of a sudden stay healthy.

I’m with Malloy that this is likely a ten year process. This is why picks should be stockpiled and blunders at the draft table minimized especially in the top 10.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rikster wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Take care...
Who said I don’t like the Benning approach?

Elmer hasn’t been stellar, but he hasn’t exactly been a disaster.

He has stocked up the farm system better than it has ever been in the 32 years that I have been a fan of this team.

The Eriksson signing is a brutal free agent acquisition. But it’s only one FA pick up.

He has also been the loser on several trades while not really being the clear cut winner on any.

He gets a pass on the Kesler fiasco. He took rotten lemons and made poor lemonade.

His biggest failing is that he has created a reputation for himself with other GMs where they don’t seem to take him seriously in trade talks. They either want him to pay too much or they pay too little.

But either way you spin it, out on ice product is little better than Edmonton’s has been for the past 12 years.
As far as the rebuilding goes he is doing fine and I suspect that we are 12-18 months behind schedule because of ownership, not because of his ineptitude.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:44 pm His biggest failing is that he has created a reputation for himself with other GMs where they don’t seem to take him seriously in trade talks. They either want him to pay too much or they pay too little.
Hmmm most recent trades:

Pedan + 4th... FOR... Pouliot

Burrows... FOR... Dahlen

Hansen... FOR... Goldobin + 4th

But hey the rest of your post was stellar! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:01 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:44 pm His biggest failing is that he has created a reputation for himself with other GMs where they don’t seem to take him seriously in trade talks. They either want him to pay too much or they pay too little.
Hmmm most recent trades:

Pedan + 4th... FOR... Pouliot

Burrows... FOR... Dahlen

Hansen... FOR... Goldobin + 4th

But hey the rest of your post was stellar! :D
Pouliot for Pedan is a wash as he threw in a pick and Pouliot hasn’t panned out yet.

Burrows for Dahlen looks great on paper but that’s it. So far we don’t know what we have there.

Goldobin doesn’t look to be a player that will contribute to this team long term. I’ll be surprised if he’s still a Canuck in 2 years. I will credit him for getting the 4th rounder with Goldobin.....especially as it was a conditional 1st had the Sharks won the Cup.

None of those trades are losses. They aren’t really wins either.....yet.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Just responding to that "other GMs where they don’t seem to take him seriously in trade talks" thing.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:13 pm Just responding to that "other GMs where they don’t seem to take him seriously in trade talks" thing.
Well there are 2 examples of where it wasn't a case of bend over for this one Jim.

The trade for Pouliot was an exchange of blueliners who weren't cracking the NHL roster.....a 4th isn't much though.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Just responding... with his most recent trades... to:

"he has created a reputation for himself with other GMs where they don’t seem to take him seriously in trade talks. They either want him to pay too much or they pay too little."

:mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

This is why picks should be stockpiled and blunders at the draft table minimized especially in the top 10.
For me, its about finding a future core group of about 5 to 8 elite players in order to be a legit Cup contender and until they find those players the upside is a middle of the pack team...

So much angst over not getting later round picks at the deadline with little consideration to the lousy odds that any player drafted outside of the first two, maybe 3rd round have little to no chance of having an NHL career let alone developing into a significant player...

Its unfortunate that prior to Benning and with the exception of the 2013 draft (Horvat) you have to go back to the 2004 draft before you find an elite player (Schneider) drafted by Vancouver...And because it took Schneider to land Horvat you end up with 1 core player drafted in the 10 years prior to Bennings arrival...

Its no wonder that Malloy predicted a 10 year rebuild....

And coupled with the number of no movement/no trade clauses that awaited Bennings arrival coupled with the Luongo contract, it surprises me the number of fans who think Laurence Gilman deserves a GM position...

Its still early but the team may have another 3 or 4 future elite players in the system if Demko and Petterssen and Boeser and Juolevi turn out as expected to join Horvat....

Adding another elite player at this and next years draft to add to the group above will mean that they have begun the ascent back to being a competitive club...

In the meantime, adding and icing a bunch of 4th and 5th and 6th and 7th round picks to fill out the roster while waiting for the core group to be assembled and developed seems to me to be a waste of time, I'd rather the team have the Sutters and Eriksson's and obviously the Sedins to mentor the kids....

Even if they are over paid in some fans minds...

Take care...
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

But either way you spin it, out on ice product is little better than Edmonton’s has been for the past 12 years.
As far as the rebuilding goes he is doing fine and I suspect that we are 12-18 months behind schedule because of ownership, not because of his ineptitude.
Man, you are all over the place with your entire post...

Take care...
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

rikster wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Take care...
How can it be 10 year process when a few on this board said it is going to start next season?

Someone is lying, who is it?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:52 pm Someone is lying, who is it?
YOU Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:03 pm Just responding... with his most recent trades... to:

"he has created a reputation for himself with other GMs where they don’t seem to take him seriously in trade talks. They either want him to pay too much or they pay too little."

:mrgreen:
Frig.

It’s not that you move the goalposts so much as you never clearly define them? Lol!

:P
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rikster wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Take care...
Whoosh.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:20 pm Frig.

It’s not that you move the goalposts so much as you never clearly define them? Lol!

:P
:)

All in good fun my good man...
____
Try to focus on someday.