Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:38 am Toronto yes, Montreal no. Weber is a declining asset, turns 33 this summer. Price is trending in the wrong direction, one of the worst prospect pools in the league, Drouin is overrated, Pacioretty wants out. The Habs are in quite an awful state not to mention it’s a Syberian winter off the St Lawrence. Totally not attractive
We'll have to see how Weber bounces back after an inury-riddled season, but he was on a 50-point pace. He's still productive, and will likely be for at least another couple years. How much of Price's struggles have to do with the D in front of him? Guys like Gallagher, Galchenyuck, Drouin, Mete, Morrow etc. are all mid-low 20's. I agree Vancouver's long-term outlook is better, but Montreal is the better team tomorrow if Tavares is added.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

vic wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:08 am
Mëds wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:29 pm
5 team list.
Flames and leaves don't have cap space. He's going to get 10 per at least and neither of those teams have the space...

Ottawa owners are cheap, so really if it is Canada it comes down to Mon and Van - 2 teams.
Yep. Sorta.

Toronto and Calgary could both make it work under the cap with a couple of trades.

Ottawa could afford it. Their cap is just because Melnyk is cheap. He’s gonna start feeling the pressure to build a winner eventually. Move Ryan and Gaborik, split that $12M between Tavares and a raise for Karlsson. Then re-up Stone. Spend to the cap and do like Arizona and Florida and live off of profit sharing. Lol.

Tavares, Duchene, Stone, Karlsson, Goalie. Build around them.

Besides, this is just a city visit list. Due diligence and all that rot.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:19 pm
micky107 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am Just that news on Juolevi this morning, changes everything for me.
I was a proponent for hanging on to our cap space and waiting.
Not now: To me, this is a hint and not a subtle one!
I do not want to try for Karlsson. That will strip all our cash AND too much else. He has a year left!!!!
Throe the bank at John Carlson.
I thought he was just a guy that flourished on a team with a lot of scorers so he got many of his points because of them.
Having watched every game in the Caps last two series, that is not the case. He is really good at all aspects of the game.
A good guy, to be sure.
I'd even let him have some input into the way our defense structures it's self for games.
Carlson will never come here, he’s an American he will not sign in Canada, and I’m sure whatever we could offer another team could match it.
For what it's worth, he was a team-mate of Michael Del Zotto in 08/09, on the London Knights.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:01 am
Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 am
For starters, you missed the entire point of my post.

Secondly, of the list of cities I posted, Vancouver is fat and away the best in terms of climate and geographic locale. Every market in Canada is going to have a crappy work-life balance for a guy like him.....which goes back to the original point about him perhaps wanting to play in Canada.
No I didn't. Your 5 team list makes no sense. If this is JT's list, he doesn't care who Winnipeg or Edmonton has to move out to bring him on board. Maybe he wants to play with McDavid (is this why the Oilers are scrambling to dump Lucic?), or sees Winnipeg as a cup winner in the next year or two. Their cap issues are for them to figure out, and you know they would if Tavares came to them and said "I want in".

Now, If you're just looking at possible destinations given financial constraints, which is where it appears you were taking your argument (GM/Franchise POV), then in addition to Edmonton and Winnipeg you can strike Ottawa and Calgary from your list.

Vancouver always has one of the worst travel schedules (in both miles and time zones) in the league. That's the work-life balance I'm speaking of, not the "OMG your a superstar" fan attention. Montreal takes the train to play games against Toronto and Ottawa. Family/friends can drive to road games. You could be up to send the kids to school after playing on the road the night before. When the money is the same, these details matter. As to the climate, sure. Vancouver is a nice city in winter (certainly nicer than the prairies), but some people hate the rain more than they hate the snow (keep in mind Tavares is from Mississauga). If Tavares cared about climate, he'd go south. If he cared about Canada, he'd stay in the east. I figure both those categories are far lower on his list than things like winning. Also, keep in mind the management/ownership shitshow he's preparing to leave. With all the negative press being spilled about the Canucks ownership/management group recently (not even getting into whether its justified or not, just that it's out there), gotta think that may factor into his thinking.

Anyways, just like an Eklund rumour is designed to attract clicks, another reason for Tavares to include the Canucks on his "list" would be driving up the bidding war amongst the teams he'd actually consider playing for.
Yeah. You missed my point.

I said rumour built on him wanting to play in Canada. 5 team list just a rumour. The rumour would have been built by someone who rules Edmonton and Winnipeg out for all the reasons everyone states. It’s also a rumour about places he will VISIT, not sign with.

You like to argue just to argue. Are you a member of the Liberal or NDP federal caucuses?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:10 am I was thinking of SJS too. He would be a good fit there.

I haven’t heard he will only look at Canadian teams. I know in an interview he once said it would be great to play in a Canadian city but that doesn’t translate into I’ll only look at a Canadian market if I hit FA.

There are a lot of teams that he would look good on and that could afford him.
Boom. And someone ran away with that and started a rumour. Probably Eklund.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:42 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:10 am I was thinking of SJS too. He would be a good fit there.

I haven’t heard he will only look at Canadian teams. I know in an interview he once said it would be great to play in a Canadian city but that doesn’t translate into I’ll only look at a Canadian market if I hit FA.

There are a lot of teams that he would look good on and that could afford him.
I figure sjs and vegas. Both teams are close to cup aspirations (vegas more so). Both warm, both have cap space, Vegas has crazy low taxes.
I hadn’t even thought about Vegas.

Add Tavares and either trade for Karlsson or sign Carlson and that team is crazy strong for the next while.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:31 pm
I said rumour built on him wanting to play in Canada. 5 team list just a rumour. The rumour would have been built by someone who rules Edmonton and Winnipeg out for all the reasons everyone states. It’s also a rumour about places he will VISIT, not sign with.
So the rumour is shit, glad we all agree.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:38 am Toronto yes, Montreal no. Weber is a declining asset, turns 33 this summer. Price is trending in the wrong direction, one of the worst prospect pools in the league, Drouin is overrated, Pacioretty wants out. The Habs are in quite an awful state not to mention it’s a Syberian winter off the St Lawrence. Totally not attractive
We'll have to see how Weber bounces back after an inury-riddled season, but he was on a 50-point pace. He's still productive, and will likely be for at least another couple years. How much of Price's struggles have to do with the D in front of him? Guys like Gallagher, Galchenyuck, Drouin, Mete, Morrow etc. are all mid-low 20's. I agree Vancouver's long-term outlook is better, but Montreal is the better team tomorrow if Tavares is added.
Any team is better tomorrow if Tavares is added. Galchenyuk not sure what happened to him he’s getting worst with each passing season, I like Mete but at 5’-9” 180 lbs not sure how that will translate in the NHL. Drouin I’m still no sold on. If Poehling is your top prospect that doesn’t say much. Scherbak? Don’t know.

I just don’t see the attraction with Montreal now and in the future. I guess the 3rd overall pick in 2018 will help but is the player getting picked 3rd gonna be that much better than the player picked 7th. Still see Vancouver as having a more promising outlook

If I was Tavares I’d be signing with the Sharks. California weather, not the fishbowl Canada is, a team that contend for the cup now and they have the cap space.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

You really think the Sharks are still a cup contender?
I don't see it.
Think they're a team about to start a "rebuild" or maybe a "retool".
We in Van city seem to have a discrepancy in regards to these words. :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:20 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm I agree Vancouver's long-term outlook is better, but Montreal is the better team tomorrow if Tavares is added.
Any team is better tomorrow if Tavares is added.
True, if Tavares signs with Canucks this summer I won't be the only one predicting playoffs! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:20 pm Galchenyuk not sure what happened to him he’s getting worst with each passing season
No idea if this is true, but rumour is he likes to party like Blob.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I never understood arguing over the validity of a rumour. A rumour by definition isn't true, it's hearsay or speculation.

If Tavares has stated he wouldn't mind playing in Canada I don't see why speculating about which Canadian franchises he ay be interested is shit. He's been playing where hockey is definitely not a priority for his whole career, some guys thrive in hockey mad markets and he could be one of them!

If he wants to come back to Canada to play his choices are limited. The Canucks are definitely an option with their cap space and needs. It would be in his best interest to at least explore the opportunity. He knows the franchise will spend and do whatever it needs to in order to win! Plus the Gagne connection. I say fuck it and go get Brendan and Reilly Smith as well!! :thumbs:

This is exactly what rumours are, people are speculating as to where he may sign if he doesn't re-up in Long Island! Players of his calibre rarely his UFA in their prime.

Chances are he won't sign here but there's nothing wrong with speculation that he may see Vancouver as a possible destination.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:35 pm You really think the Sharks are still a cup contender?
I don't see it.
Think they're a team about to start a "rebuild" or maybe a "retool".
We in Van city seem to have a discrepancy in regards to these words. :mrgreen:
I agree, but if SJS replaces Thornton with Tavares, the rebuild is pretty well finished. They instantly get younger/faster/more skilled
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:14 pm I never understood arguing over the validity of a rumour. A rumour by definition isn't true, it's hearsay or speculation.
BBut it May be true.
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:27 pm
vic wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:08 am
Mëds wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:29 pm
5 team list.
Flames and leaves don't have cap space. He's going to get 10 per at least and neither of those teams have the space...

Ottawa owners are cheap, so really if it is Canada it comes down to Mon and Van - 2 teams.
Yep. Sorta.

Toronto and Calgary could both make it work under the cap with a couple of trades.

Ottawa could afford it. Their cap is just because Melnyk is cheap. He’s gonna start feeling the pressure to build a winner eventually. Move Ryan and Gaborik, split that $12M between Tavares and a raise for Karlsson. Then re-up Stone. Spend to the cap and do like Arizona and Florida and live off of profit sharing. Lol.

Tavares, Duchene, Stone, Karlsson, Goalie. Build around them.

Besides, this is just a city visit list. Due diligence and all that rot.
I thought one of the reasons he wouldn't come to Vancouver was because the Canucks are rebuilding - why would he go to Ottawa for a rebuild?

Calgary only has about 15 mil left and need to sign about 7 players, including Son Of Keith and a starting goalie after next season.

Toronto has 22 mil in cap space and need to sign 8 more players including Matthews, Marner and Nylander - Jake Gardiner is coming up on a new deal too. Marleau has a NMC, I can't see him waiving if the team is going to sign Tavares.

Matthews will get McDavid's 12.5, Marner and Nylander will eat up the other 9.5 they have left.