Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Tciso »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:08 pm
micky107 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:51 pm If his shoulder could clear a medical.
And, if the Canucks are planning to move on without maybe Hutton or Polliot or Biega or Stecher or Del Zotto or whoever,
This guy just may work out pretty well at an amount that isn't crippling.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=116024

I know, not a mega move but maybe a small piece that could fit?
I think de haan will be highly sought after.
If he's any good, I see Lou Lamoriello keeping him. I have residual Tarana hate for LL, but he has proven to be a good eye for talent.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Just want to note for those who think there is no need to have an enforcer in the modern NHL, both teams in the finals have one - Reaves in Vegas and Wilson in Washington. And the deeper the playoffs have gone, the more valuable they've become. Signing UFA Ryan Reaves for two or three years would be wise this offseason and he would create more room for the kids to operate.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah the Canucks need to address their smurf, gentleman lifestyle, anti-fighting personnel, I know Linden probably has cut off everyone's balls to be a low-key guy, but Jim Benning has to put his foot down and acquire a couple big gritty dudes who can UFC out there.
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:09 pm The scary part of trading Hutton is it puts the Canucks into farm team status, which is the same strategy the Oilers seemed to have used for years. They keep trading young players before they have fully developed. In general teams should wait till defensemen are 25 or 26 before they make a well informed judgement. Edmonton would look better if they had done nothing instead of trading Dubnyk and Hall. There is a bigger risk trading away Hutton’s upside than MDZ’s who is what he is at his stage of development. I’m not saying they shouldn’t trade Hutton, but they may regret it, so they need to be really confident he won’t blossom on another team. Becoming the development team that young guys play with for two or three years, and then once they are closer to being developed getting traded to another NHL team is not a good strategy. The Canucks should be nervous about trading away anyone under 26.
Yeah I'd keep Ben Hutton unless he's packaged in a deal to acquire a true top 4 dman or a big gritty LW.

If they do keep Huts, Travis Green has to realize that he can't change how Hutton plays naturally which is just by joining the rush and the attack and basically getting points, that's what a genius coach would realize, BH is not going to be like MDZ and become a hitter etc, that's not his game at all, why force something that's not in his game?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I dunno Skyo, by the end of the year Hutton was using his weight more. And I don’t think it’s as simple as saying he isn’t going to be a hitter. Hutton is the type of player that was very very good at every level he played at, like(d) to party and carry on,has been resistant to being coached. He is finding out that he still needs to learn in order to grow in this game.

With Hutton it has been his casual Kevin type of play in the dzone as well as his untimely pinches up front. He has a lot to learn still about dzone coverage, picking up the right man, picking the right angle etc. Green has said he wants him to be harder to play against. I saw from him, by the end of the year, that he was starting to do more of those good things. So he can learn to alter his game.

But Stetcher and Pouliot showed a lot of the same tendencies and were regulars. So what is out of those three that has Hutton in the dog house? That’s the question and I’m not sure we have the answer. It may be as simple as his casual, smiley personality that portends that I’m good, I’m cool, life is bliss. He comes across as very casual and laid back. Until the TDD when he seemed to get more serious because he was pissed off.

I’m really unclear about him as a player. I do think he still has upside. But we are heavy with LHD and you know they want to get Juolevi in there somehow. They want to make room for Sautner, if he performs at camp. Something has to give.
The only HW the Canucks need
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:30 pm I dunno Skyo, by the end of the year Hutton was using his weight more. And I don’t think it’s as simple as saying he isn’t going to be a hitter. Hutton is the type of player that was very very good at every level he played at, like(d) to party and carry on,has been resistant to being coached. He is finding out that he still needs to learn in order to grow in this game.

With Hutton it has been his casual Kevin type of play in the dzone as well as his untimely pinches up front. He has a lot to learn still about dzone coverage, picking up the right man, picking the right angle etc. Green has said he wants him to be harder to play against. I saw from him, by the end of the year, that he was starting to do more of those good things. So he can learn to alter his game.

But Stetcher and Pouliot showed a lot of the same tendencies and were regulars. So what is out of those three that has Hutton in the dog house? That’s the question and I’m not sure we have the answer. It may be as simple as his casual, smiley personality that portends that I’m good, I’m cool, life is bliss. He comes across as very casual and laid back. Until the TDD when he seemed to get more serious because he was pissed off.

I’m really unclear about him as a player. I do think he still has upside. But we are heavy with LHD and you know they want to get Juolevi in there somehow. They want to make room for Sautner, if he performs at camp. Something has to give.
I think the difference between stetcher pouloit and Hutton was the fact that Hutton was getting more money and wasn’t stepping into a top 4 role. Will be interesting to see now that the pressure is on if he can rise to the occasion.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Solid points overall, speaking of points that's Ben Hutton's bread and butter, now if Green just used Huts as a point producer in a run & gun style, used that way Huts is the type to have a breakout season points wise - he's at an age for that to happen.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:43 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:30 pm I dunno Skyo, by the end of the year Hutton was using his weight more. And I don’t think it’s as simple as saying he isn’t going to be a hitter. Hutton is the type of player that was very very good at every level he played at, like(d) to party and carry on,has been resistant to being coached. He is finding out that he still needs to learn in order to grow in this game.

I think the difference between stetcher pouloit and Hutton was the fact that Hutton was getting more money and wasn’t stepping into a top 4 role. Will be interesting to see now that the pressure is on if he can rise to the occasion.
Hard to know what's going to happen. I can tell you that Stecher distanced himself from his parents quite a bit this last season.
That's shitty because now I don't hear much.
If I had to guess, I'd say Pouliot may be the odd man out.
Now I am well aware that friendships shouldn't count but quite often, they do.
Hutton is very well liked by his team mates. In particular, Horvat, Stecher and now Brock. Those four are pretty tight.
As a matter of fact, they were four of the ones most actively learning and asking advice from the Sedins.
Also the coaching change was quite radical and even Green, in just one season, altered his directions.
Of course some of that could have been instructions from above, to a point. If you tank think about it.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Canucks should 'Cody Hodgson' Ben Hutton and give him pure offensive zone minutes like Boston does with Krug.

Get Hutton's points way up, then trade him for a power winger, just when everyone is falling in love with his game.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:09 pm The scary part of trading Hutton is it puts the Canucks into farm team status, which is the same strategy the Oilers seemed to have used for years. They keep trading young players before they have fully developed. In general teams should wait till defensemen are 25 or 26 before they make a well informed judgement. Edmonton would look better if they had done nothing instead of trading Dubnyk and Hall. There is a bigger risk trading away Hutton’s upside than MDZ’s who is what he is at his stage of development. I’m not saying they shouldn’t trade Hutton, but they may regret it, so they need to be really confident he won’t blossom on another team. Becoming the development team that young guys play with for two or three years, and then once they are closer to being developed getting traded to another NHL team is not a good strategy. The Canucks should be nervous about trading away anyone under 26.
LOL there’s nothing scary about trading a 6/7 d man. LMFAO
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:15 pm If I had to guess, I'd say Pouliot may be the odd man out.
Hutton is very well liked by his team mates. In particular, Horvat, Stecher and now Brock. Those four are pretty tight.
We're not building a country club.

Hutton was shit last season so ship him out and put Stecher on notice (also shit).

Send the right signals amirite?
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I guess the scary thing is the Oilers - Justin Schultz scenario, they overused him before he was ready, put way too much pressure on the kid, the young coaches ruined him and his confidence, then got dealt for a 3rd rounder and the Pens experienced coaches made him work from the bottom #6/#7 role, limited his minutes from beginning through till playoffs.

Then Rutherford shrewdly let him go briefly via UFA & masterfully re-signed him to one year deal on the cheap (relieving pressure on such a high contract [you seen some players crash under the weight of an overpaid contract] and also kept him as a RFA after that. Even veteran players sometimes play better when they gotta earn their contract a lot, keeps them hungry.

Coach Sullivan then used Schultz in an expert way by giving him sheltered minutes while playing with talented players, as Schultz is poor defensively, but is offensively skilled, similar to Krug.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hocke ... figure-out

You need quality coaches and a saavy GM to get a player going.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

SKYO wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:39 pm Canucks should 'Cody Hodgson' Ben Hutton and give him pure offensive zone minutes like Boston does with Krug.

Get Hutton's points way up, then trade him for a power winger, just when everyone is falling in love with his game.
Problem with Hutton though is his shot is a muffin, and he often looks lost in the offensive zone.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:33 pm
micky107 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:15 pm If I had to guess, I'd say Pouliot may be the odd man out.

Hutton was shit last season so ship him out and put Stecher on notice (also shit).

The question is if they are traded away do you think Hutton or Stecher be in the NHL contributing to another team in three years?
If you are sure the answer is “no” trade ‘em.
If you are not sure, keep ‘em and trade MDZ.
meyewrite?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I think If Biega can make a living as a 6th/7th for an extended period, Stetcher certainly can too. They have both been praised for their work ethic and focus, which can take them a long way even with a limited skill set. If Troy can tighten up his defensive game, he should have a decent career.

Hutton had a strong rookie season, but his development stalled there. His play began to plateau after his contract extension was signed, then really regressed this past year under the new coaching staff. He should become a legit top4, but I’m not sure he’s got the mental makeup to reach such heights.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:39 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:33 pm

The question is if they are traded away do you think Hutton or Stecher be in the NHL contributing to another team in three years?
If you are sure the answer is “no” trade ‘em.
If you are not sure, keep ‘em and trade MDZ.
meyewrite?
I am as sure as one can be that whether it's with the Canucks or somewhere else, Hutton & Stecher will be playing in the NHL.
Hey, I know how hard it is for a GM, any GM, to abandon a player he brought in but in the case of MDZ, well let's put it this way;
I like his size and he seems to skate ok but to be brutally honest he floats around out there like an air-head.
Confused looking, not emotional ever, either can't or is hesitant to ever join the rush. Sniffs around the dirty areas but seems to be just going through the motions cause he's supposed to.
Barely adequate on the PK and PP, but he can put in the minutes and doesn't seem to get hurt much.
I very much think his ceiling has been reached.

My instinct tells me to offer both Hutton and Stecher show me, 2 year deals.
"evolution"