Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Iceman2014 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:11 pm

SKYO wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:31 pm
Ducks have no choice but to go for it these next few years while Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler have iron clad NMC contracts.

Anahiem will need some top 4 D solidification, so I propose Tanev + Baertschi for Ducks 1st + Ritchie:

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Tanev should be a formidable pairing.
Pettersson - Montour

And the rebuilding Canucks will need some mass on LW with left-wingers Dahlen and Goldy likely making the roster full time, making Sven expendable.
What? There is no way I'm dealing Tanev and Baer for that return. That's a hard pass. Overpay my Canucks. Look elsewhere for trades. I think the Canucks can do better in a trade - I am not a huge fan of Ritchie and he shouldn't cost that much.

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:13 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:23 pm
E.Kane is the exact player this club needs up front.

Kane will command top dollar and a NMC on the open market. What would Benning be willing to pay him? Is he willing to have Kane as the top cap-hit guy on the team? Is that a wise choice for this young rebuilding team?

I'd be curious to see what some of the Pro-Kane folks around here would be willing to commit to.
E. Kane is an asshat. Canucks don't have the leaders to keep that moron in check. If Benning can get him for cheap and not include any type of NTC then maybe but that won't happen. He has the skillset this team needs badly but he is an idiot - many screws loose in that little brain. No thanks.

Carlyee
CC Veteran

Post by Carlyee » Tue May 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Iceman2014 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:13 pm

E. Kane is an asshat. Canucks don't have the leaders to keep that moron in check. If Benning can get him for cheap and not include any type of NTC then maybe but that won't happen. He has the skillset this team needs badly but he is an idiot - many screws loose in that little brain. No thanks.
Likely to be a horrible influence on the other youngsters as well.

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Tue May 08, 2018 3:24 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:

Kane will command top dollar and a NMC on the open market. What would Benning be willing to pay him? Is he willing to have Kane as the top cap-hit guy on the team? Is that a wise choice for this young rebuilding team?

I'd be curious to see what some of the Pro-Kane folks around here would be willing to commit to.
That's an interesting observation! However, its less of a big-deal (IMO) now that the top cap-hit guy is Loui Eriksson.

He's basically a 25+ goal/45ish point winger, with baggage. He had a good end to his regular season in SJ to crack 50 points for the first time since 2012, but had 4g/1a in 9 playoff games.

Given that he's a UFA, I think his price would be similar to Loui's, with inflation. He's younger, however Loui doesn't come close to the off-ice issues of Evander.

Another comparable is 30-year-old Radulov's contract last year, 5x$6.25 mil.

So I'd be comfortable up to $7 mil, though would hope for $6-6.5 mil. I'd also be comfortable with 7 years, which only takes him to age 33. I think his contract will always be movable because gritty, tough wingers with his upside are always coveted.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue May 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Iceman2014 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:13 pm
BladesofSteel wrote:

Lol Icehead would know who the idiots are. I guess you got your computer privileges back. Did you shave your moms back or drain her goitre?
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:05 am

ESQ wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:24 pm
BladesofSteel wrote:

That's an interesting observation! However, its less of a big-deal (IMO) now that the top cap-hit guy is Loui Eriksson.

He's basically a 25+ goal/45ish point winger, with baggage. He had a good end to his regular season in SJ to crack 50 points for the first time since 2012, but had 4g/1a in 9 playoff games.

Given that he's a UFA, I think his price would be similar to Loui's, with inflation. He's younger, however Loui doesn't come close to the off-ice issues of Evander.

Another comparable is 30-year-old Radulov's contract last year, 5x$6.25 mil.

So I'd be comfortable up to $7 mil, though would hope for $6-6.5 mil. I'd also be comfortable with 7 years, which only takes him to age 33. I think his contract will always be movable because gritty, tough wingers with his upside are always coveted.
If he really can garner that kind of contract, (not sure he can), and add protection aspects to it as well, don'r think it the wisest choice
for the team at this point.
I thought he "could" be a nice addition under the right circumstances but what's being talked about, in my opinion, is too much and restrictive.
I also thought the LE signing was a hard lesson about the FA market. I hope it was learned.
Still: Nothing against acquiring Kane under the "Home town discount, no clause," type deal.
That would be a 2 year, I"ll show you what I can do for this team deal.
If he can get 6 to 7 mil for 7 years from someone right now, the way things sit with him: "cya", good-luck...
"evolution"

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:21 am

$7M for 7 years for a 45 pointish guy, yes I know that it is not all about points. :crazy:

how effective will he be in what ever role we need him to be in when he is 29 - 33. Wait maybe he will be like the other boat anchor we have and be an elite PK guy. What will Boeser want? $8M - $9M.

Unless he is coming in at a proper amount then say no - this team needs to look at spending big money on D not more forwards.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:42 am

Chris Tanev was on 650am this morning early.
He said playing in TO never crossed his mind.
Said he fully expects to keep playing in Vancouver
Says he doesn't pay any attention to rumors.
Really happy for his bro :!:
All this time and that was the best and most candid interview I've ever heard from him.
Except for the injuries, I guess getting off that Gary Roberts program has made him sound, um, "Normal" :mrgreen:
"evolution"

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed May 09, 2018 10:16 am

Iceman2014 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:11 pm
SKYO wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:31 pm
Ducks have no choice but to go for it these next few years while Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler have iron clad NMC contracts.

Anahiem will need some top 4 D solidification, so I propose Tanev + Baertschi for Ducks 1st + Ritchie:

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Tanev should be a formidable pairing.
Pettersson - Montour

And the rebuilding Canucks will need some mass on LW with left-wingers Dahlen and Goldy likely making the roster full time, making Sven expendable.
What? There is no way I'm dealing Tanev and Baer for that return. That's a hard pass. Overpay my Canucks. Look elsewhere for trades. I think the Canucks can do better in a trade - I am not a huge fan of Ritchie and he shouldn't cost that much.
A hard pass?

You realize power forward LW Nick Ritchie is only 22, 6'2 and a solid 232lbs right? was also drafted 10th overall in the Virtanen draft year.

Currently if the young guns make it, our LW side is Baertschi, Dahlen, Goldy and Leipsic, all thin dudes that can use some cost controlled beef.

Instead of overpaying a UFA LW like Kane or even Maroon, I'd rather trade for a big young power winger who has decent upside that can grow with the team.

Ritchie + #23rd overall for Tanev and Baert imho is a fair deal, the Ducks continue to contend the next few years, while the Canucks continue the build.

Having #7 and #23rd overall picks this draft would go a long ways to help ensure the Canucks have a solid group of prospects to build around, likely two dmen prospects with those.

Furthermore Ritchie would help protect Horvat and Boeser if he's on their line along with adding some growing scoring abilities.

In any case moving Tanev + Bart for any young power LW and a 1st rounder imo is a solid move for the franchise.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Wed May 09, 2018 11:58 am

Reefer2 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:21 am
$7M for 7 years for a 45 pointish guy, yes I know that it is not all about points. :crazy:

how effective will he be in what ever role we need him to be in when he is 29 - 33. Wait maybe he will be like the other boat anchor we have and be an elite PK guy. What will Boeser want? $8M - $9M.

Unless he is coming in at a proper amount then say no - this team needs to look at spending big money on D not more forwards.
He will certainly not be an elite PKer like Loui, that's just not his game.

If Kane's hands go away in his late-20s/early-30s (which is more likely to be his prime production years, but anyways...), he still brings speed and a physical presence. I agree, $7 mil for a speedy energy winger kicking in 10-15 goals is a disaster - however, his attributes are currently lacking on this team. Also, for all his foibles the dude has already been traded twice - he got a 4th RP and a middling prospect as a rental at the deadline, and got a stud Dman for Winnipeg when he was coming off the scandalz and dwindling offensive production. So if there's a problem, if he's signed for term he will be tradeable.

In order, the big-ticket targets I'd like to see the Canucks go after are Karlsson, Tavares, then Kane. I just happen to think that of those 3, Kane is the most likely to wind up in Vancouver, so that's the current focus of my pipe dreams :mrgreen:

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:21 am

This is the way salaries will progress as the cap keeps increasing. They're talking about an $80M cap next season thanks to Vegas. That equates to an allowable $16M annual salary per player as a max contract!

$7M isn't even half that. Salaries for UFAs are going to continue to climb as the Cap does. E.Kane is a top 6 player, likely fitting well on our first line.

My guess is he'll get over $7M, and in this day and age he's probably worth it. He put up 29 goals and 54 points this year, there's only 30 guys in the league that scored more goals.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Wed May 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Good points, Aaron.

Further, if Benning was will to swing a deal for Kane prior to July 1, say giving up a mid level prospect (Motte, Boucher etc.), in order to acquire his rights, Jim could offer him an 8 year deal with a slightly lower cap hit.

That is, if Kane does in fact want to join Vancouver.

A NMC will be a given, but perhaps a limited NTC could be worked out.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed May 09, 2018 1:31 pm

I'd only want Evander Kane if he took a hometown discount because I do not want to allocate too much cap space on wingers, as we got Eriksson locked up for four more years and Boeser has one year left till he gets around $6M-$7M per after next season. If Kane signs for $6M-$6.5M per that added to LE and BB equals about $18M-$20M on 3 wingers, that's a quick way to really fuck up your team down the road.

Centers and defense is what the Canucks should using their cap space on.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:44 pm

SKYO wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:31 pm
I'd only want Evander Kane if he took a hometown discount because I do not want to allocate too much cap space on wingers, as we got Eriksson locked up for four more years and Boeser has one year left till he gets around $6M-$7M per after next season. If Kane signs for $6M-$6.5M per that added to LE and BB equals about $18M-$20M on 3 wingers, that's a quick way to really fuck up your team down the road.

Centers and defense is what the Canucks should using their cap space on.
Eriksson will be gonzo before it becomes an issue.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed May 09, 2018 3:59 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:16 pm
Good points, Aaron.

Further, if Benning was will to swing a deal for Kane prior to July 1, say giving up a mid level prospect (Motte, Boucher etc.), in order to acquire his rights, Jim could offer him an 8 year deal with a slightly lower cap hit.

That is, if Kane does in fact want to join Vancouver.

A NMC will be a given, but perhaps a limited NTC could be worked out.
Money, Chance to Win, and Lifestyle.

He can have 2/3 here, but he can have 3/3 staying put in San Jose.