Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:45 pm
SKYO wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:33 pm

The successful Canadian team Jets, they don't have an elite dman either, but they have a big, heavy and skilled vet defense, along with their cheap young guns up front with some vets.
Bufflin is for sure elite Skyo. He dominates

Word bruh, and both he and Myers were dealt for in big trades, what Jim Benning needs to try to do now they have a good nucleus of scoring forwards up front.
Chicago Blackhawks traded Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager, Brent Sopel and Akim Aliu to the Atlanta Thrashers
for
Marty Reasoner, Jeremy Morin, Joey Crabb, a 1st and a 2nd round selection in 2010.
Winnipeg Jets traded Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian and Jason Kasdorf to the Buffalo Sabres
for
Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Joel Armia, Brendan Lemieux and a first-round draft pick in 2015.
E. Karlsson could be traded for right now, as I imagine the Sens owner doesn't want to pay big dollars to retain him.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:33 pm Hey Blob, Erik Karlsson and Parayko, they are hardly in the same category as "Sutter, Gudbranson, Vey and Forsling" :lol: :lol:

Those are the only two dmen (with teams that want to make some moves) I'd consider moving some big pieces for, and most notably to help out Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser, Elias Pettersson and Dahlen etc while they will be in their cheap ELC years.

Because in the perfect world the Canucks would have went full Blackhawks mode and had drafted a Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook 4-5 years ago so they'd be developed enough by the time we got the snipers up front on cheap ELC, all so they can have a solid structure of Dmen behind them where all they had to was score a shit load.

As you seen the problems Toronto and Edmonton have, they don't have that elite dman either and it's costing them pain and cash.

The successful Canadian team Jets, they don't have an elite dman either, but they have a big, heavy and skilled vet defense, along with their cheap young guns up front with some vets.
You were talking about Hamilton too.

Stay the course and collect picks. Something that should have started in 2013 and 2015 at the latest.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:20 pm
SKYO wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:33 pm Hey Blob, Erik Karlsson and Parayko, they are hardly in the same category as "Sutter, Gudbranson, Vey and Forsling" :lol: :lol:

Those are the only two dmen (with teams that want to make some moves) I'd consider moving some big pieces for, and most notably to help out Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser, Elias Pettersson and Dahlen etc while they will be in their cheap ELC years.
Stay the course and collect picks. Something that should have started in 2013 and 2015 at the latest.
Yeah... and once again Skyo ignores reality in the trade market (fair enough, pipe dreams and all).

We wouldn't trade for Karlsson if he didn't have an extension in place. If he had an extension in place, he would cost us (at least) one of Horvat, Boeser, Petterssen and then some. You're filling one need by creating another. We need to draft our own Karlsson, or throw the most money at him in Free Agency.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:55 am Skyo can’t handle a rebuild. Wants to piss away more picks for quick fixes. He has learned nothing from the Sutter, Gudbranson, Vey and Forsling blunders. Gotta have that instant gratification
The only thing given up for Sutter was Bonino (Canucks still got the player they wanted with the 9 spot pick upgrade they gave).

The only thing given up for Vey was Garrison (Garrison went for the 2nd LA wanted for Vey, flipped the next morning).

No picks were given in the Forsling trade.

The 2nd given up in the Gudbranson trade was fair.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

A good GM would have gotten the 2nd attached to Sutter considering an equal and far cheaper player was traded for Birdbones. Should have been Bonino and Clendenning for Sitter and a 2nd.

Gudbranson isn’t worth a recent 1st and pick 33 in a deep draft.

Forsling should have been kept instead of trading him for Clendenning.

Nope Garrison was dealt for a 2nd. Elmer should have stopped there and made the pick.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

But (<- EH Todd??) you said "he pissed away picks for quick fixes" with those 4 examples. :?

The only pick given up in those trades was the 2nd in the Gudbranson trade

... and it wasn't "pissed away for a quick fix" seeing as how The Guds had just turned 24.

(and it was a fair trade)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

There were picks pissed away in three of the four trades and Forsling was pissed away shortly after being drafted. They were four poor trades. Thankfully Elmer seems to have learned but Forsling and three 2nds would have put four more good prospects in the system
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:43 pm Yeah... and once again Skyo ignores reality in the trade market (fair enough, pipe dreams and all).

We wouldn't trade for Karlsson if he didn't have an extension in place.

If he had an extension in place, he would cost us (at least) one of Horvat, Boeser, Petterssen and then some.

You're filling one need by creating another. We need to draft our own Karlsson, or throw the most money at him in Free Agency.
My only concern is falling into the Maple leaves and Oilers trap, solely concentrating on draft/development, while ignoring the fact that their defense is weak and shitty, laying your hopes and dreams of finding a diamond in the deep sea of draft picks like a one Erik Karlsson is like wishing to win a 1st overall in the draft lotto, it's statistically not going to happen.

Building a Cup contender involves superior drafting/development with solid trades to get key pieces you didn't get to draft. UFA is the last option you should do, as UFA's are severely overpaid and sometimes they don't click chemistry wise.

Acquiring someone like Erik Karlsson is only by two options.

1) drafting him

2) trading for him, as he will not reach UFA, he's just too valuable to let go for nothing and the Sens know damn well to get the maximum value for him it will be this offseason, and for whichever team acquires him will already have it in their plans to re-sign him one way or another.

As for Boeser being in the deal to acquire EK, I think I'd do it lol, (low-key, bruh I think Boeser will be injury prone, seems to have some bad luck, look at his rookie season for crying out loud, injured 3x already with one severe one to his hips/back area, I mean think of Lupul had a killer 2nd NHL season, then dealt in a package for Pronger) Losing Boeser will make the little kids cry in Vancouver, but if you can add an elite #1 dman who can score 70+points in a season, bro I think you should seriously consider it, this team has a lot of wingers, and hell can draft more wingers pretty easily, the hardest position to draft/develop with some luck is a #1 dman.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:11 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:43 pm Yeah... and once again Skyo ignores reality in the trade market (fair enough, pipe dreams and all).

We wouldn't trade for Karlsson if he didn't have an extension in place.

If he had an extension in place, he would cost us (at least) one of Horvat, Boeser, Petterssen and then some.

You're filling one need by creating another. We need to draft our own Karlsson, or throw the most money at him in Free Agency.
My only concern is falling into the Maple leaves and Oilers trap, solely concentrating on draft/development, while ignoring the fact that their defense is weak and shitty, laying your hopes and dreams of finding a diamond in the deep sea of draft picks like a one Erik Karlsson is like wishing to win a 1st overall in the draft lotto, it's statistically not going to happen.

Building a Cup contender involves superior drafting/development with solid trades to get key pieces you didn't get to draft. UFA is the last option you should do, as UFA's are severely overpaid and sometimes they don't click chemistry wise.

Acquiring someone like Erik Karlsson is only by two options.

1) drafting him

2) trading for him, as he will not reach UFA, he's just too valuable to let go for nothing and the Sens know damn well to get the maximum value for him it will be this offseason, and for whichever team acquires him will already have it in their plans to re-sign him one way or another.

As for Boeser being in the deal to acquire EK, I think I'd do it lol, (low-key, bruh I think Boeser will be injury prone, seems to have some bad luck, look at his rookie season for crying out loud, injured 3x already with one severe one to his hips/back area, I mean think of Lupul had a killer 2nd NHL season, then dealt in a package for Pronger) Losing Boeser will make the little kids cry in Vancouver, but if you can add an elite #1 dman who can score 70+points in a season, bro I think you should seriously consider it, this team has a lot of wingers, and hell can draft more wingers pretty easily, the hardest position to draft/develop with some luck is a #1 dman.
Nagging Wrist injury. Problem and could be recurrent.

Back injury. Ummmm wake up. Few players escape an injury on that play.

Playing on a team with no on ice police or pushback. All of our young kids are going to be injury prone.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'm just saying, if the Canucks can't draft a Hedman (2 OA), Doughty (2 OA), get lucky with a Duncan Keith pick or the super rare sign a UFA Chara type (as in 47 years in the Canucks franchise no scout/gm has been able to accomplish any of those feats), the next best option is to trade for a top tier dman ala the Jets with Byfuglien - contract/cap issues forced the blackhawks to trade him - & now contract issues seem to be a thing with Karlsson and the Sens owner.

I mean hey, in another 47 years most of us will be dead haha, so if nothing is working to acquire a top dman, plus the draft lotto is not in the franchises favour & stealing a dman in the draft is pretty rare, and no Doughty or Karlsson won't make 2019 UFA, it's in my ever so humble opinion it's time to step up and go get that game changer dman via trade.

I mean sure you can play it safe, maybe trade Tanev for few picks and take BPA, who all of em could be forwards, I mean that's ok, but it's almost just basically settling, do you ever win anything just by settling? or do successful teams or even regular folks ever accomplish any feat just by playing it safe? or is the greats that take risks and are aggressive go-getters in life that hardcore go after what they want that truly succeed.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

C'mon Skyo - what'll it take to get Doughty? The Kings need to pick up some youth and try a retool. Make it happen. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cornuck wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:55 pm C'mon Skyo - what'll it take to get Doughty? The Kings need to pick up some youth and try a retool. Make it happen. ;)
Ok a Cornuck special, the only way the Canucks can get big homie Drew Doughty, it's gonna take some things to happen.

Numero uno) The Kings will have to be in a mediocre position again by trade deadline day.

dos) The Canucks will have to be in a playoff position + the young guns gotta be in full flight mode, all-star like, basically exciting enough for a HHOF Doughty to want to re-sign with Vancouver.

If all that happens, then it'll take the Kings management to all agree to rebuild/retool and trade some major pieces.
They gotta go to Doughty's agent and ask him and his agent: ok, what'll take to re-sign you, but first do you want to re-sign? if management and/or Doughty's camp don't see eye to eye, then they will try to move him by trade deadline day for whatever they can get...think for the Rob Blake scenario.
The Kings sent Blake and rookie center Steve Reinprecht to Colorado for right wing Adam Deadmarsh, defenseman Aaron Miller, first-round pick in 2001 Draft, a prospect to be determined at a later date and future considerations.

"Rob Blake is an elite and one-of-a kind defenseman who is in his prime right now," said Pierre Lacroix, the Avalanche's general manager. "Blake is recognized as a major force in this league and an all-around great defenseman that combines size, skill, toughness and agility."

"I'm convinced our fans will be excited to hear this news," Lacroix concluded. "It's another example of how the Avalanche organization is committed to do everything possible to go all the way."

Blake will be an unrestricted free agent after the season and the Kings were in danger of losing him for nothing.

"It was evident to us from very early on Rob was intent on free agency," Kings general manager Dave Taylor said.

"While we are disappointed to see Rob Blake leave the Los Angeles Kings, we are extremely pleased with the players, prospects and future draft choices which we were able to acquire in this transaction," said Taylor. "Once we came to the conclusion that Rob would not re-sign with the Kings, our focus shifted to making a deal for Rob that best ensured the Kings current and future success."

http://www.hockeynut.com/0001/blake0201.html
Blake met reporters in Ottawa yesterday before a game with the Senators and he acknowledged the possibility that he could be dealt to a team such as the Maple leaves before the NHL's March 13 trade deadline. He then made it clear he wants to stay in Los Angeles.

"I've always wanted to stay in L.A. and that's kind of why I didn't want to put things off [any longer]because then that just postpones it until you become a free agent," Blake said.

"I like L.A. and we've got a pretty good thing out here. I've been there 10 years, been through a finals and I saw the city and the fans rally behind us. If you're going to win a Stanley Cup, it would be a great spot to win one."

Blake's reference to putting things off concerned the stalled contract negotiations between his agent, Ron Salcer, and Kings general manager Dave Taylor. The 31-year-old defenceman will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but has agreed to contract talks in the hope of signing a new deal with the Kings.

Talks recently broke off after the Kings' best offer of $40-million (U.S.) over five years. Blake and Salcer are reportedly looking for $10-million a year, double his current salary. Blake said the offer was never rejected, although there is a large gap between it and his demands.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... cle759076/
Unwilling to sign Rob Blake for the $9.6 million he requested and unwilling to let him walk away as an unrestricted free agent, the Kings traded their Norris Trophy-winning defenseman and rookie center Steven Reinprecht to the league-leading Colorado Avalanche late Wednesday for right wing Adam Deadmarsh, defenseman Aaron Miller, a first-round draft pick in the June entry draft, a player from a group of prospects and unspecified future considerations.

General Manager Dave Taylor, who flew to Minnesota last week in an effort to reach a compromise that would keep Blake in the uniform he wore for 11 seasons, said he would have preferred to re-sign Blake. However, he could not do so because Blake was intent on testing the free-agent market this summer. As an impact player with offensive and defensive skills, Blake will command big dollars--and the Kings have said they won't commit a quarter of their payroll to one player when so many other needs remain to be satisfied.

After that Minnesota meeting with Blake, Taylor and President Tim Leiweke failed to produce an agreement, Taylor was told by ownership to trade Blake and not prolong a situation that has clearly been a distraction to Blake and the Kings, who are struggling to reach a playoff position in the Western Conference.
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/feb/22/sports/sp-28682
Damn Blake wanted $10M a year way back in then aha, kinda sounds like Doughty.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... -new-deals

Doughty believes he and Karlsson deserve a little more than PK Subban who is making $9M per, I'm guessing $10M gets the ball rolling for Drew Doughty.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ducks have no choice but to go for it these next few years while Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler have iron clad NMC contracts.

Anahiem will need some top 4 D solidification, so I propose Tanev + Baertschi for Ducks 1st + Ritchie:

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Tanev should be a formidable pairing.
Pettersson - Montour

And the rebuilding Canucks will need some mass on LW with left-wingers Dahlen and Goldy likely making the roster full time, making Sven expendable.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I get the sense Evander is going to hit the open market - he was great in San Jose, but in spite of them having oodles of cap space he hasn't signed with them yet.

According to beat writers Kevin Kurz, he was "pretty non-committal" about his future at the exit interviews.

If he hits UFA, I really like Vancouver's odds of getting him. I'm okay with his baggage, because I'm a big believer in getting players that really want to be in Vancouver and will bleed blue-and-green. We got that with Hamhuis, but we didn't with Eriksson.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

E.Kane is the exact player this club needs up front.

Kane will command top dollar and a NMC on the open market. What would Benning be willing to pay him? Is he willing to have Kane as the top cap-hit guy on the team? Is that a wise choice for this young rebuilding team?

I'd be curious to see what some of the Pro-Kane folks around here would be willing to commit to.