Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Locked
User avatar
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Rocky Dennis » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:02 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:10 am
Rocky Dennis wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 pm
My current pipe dream is for fans to give loui eriksson the "fire gillis" treatment for the rest of the year...or 4. At least then he would have some entertainment value and you would actually notice when he was on the ice.
There are posters here who think he was an excellent signing
If i recall correctly, at the time I didn't love the signing but I didn't hate it either. I thought it was an overpayment on $$$ (albeit on par with what that ufa class was getting) and definitely a couple of years too long. I remember I thought that Brouwer was the best deal that day but it seems all the "higher" end forward ufas from that summer are proving to be bust signings.
Does "bust" cover Loui? Closing in on two years later, he's been a complete and utter disappointment here. I struggle to recall a Canucks player so bloody invisible on so many nights, at least at that paygrade (Gagner's pretty close but at a smaller cap hit and term fortunately).
To read this week that Eriksson's apparently just numb to the criticism and lack of production (sorry I cant recall the source, local media twitter i think) is just brutal. Numb actually suits the stupid expression on his face most of the time. Show some pride, dignity, anything...even if the drought continues at least make it noticable that you at least care. Show some sort of pulse for god's sake. I get nothing from him. Not sure he even qualifies for the term warm body. For me, thats no example for younger players. Too bad we are stuck with him for at least another year. If Benning could find a taker, that would indeed be genius.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11947
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:10 am
Rocky Dennis wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 pm
My current pipe dream is for fans to give loui eriksson the "fire gillis" treatment for the rest of the year...or 4. At least then he would have some entertainment value and you would actually notice when he was on the ice.
There are posters here who think he was an excellent signing
Placeholder while Jimbro is buiding the next dynasty. How many times do we have to do this dance

That being said, fond memories of the infamous Rogers Arena Chant - "Fire Gillis!"
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:51 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:10 am
Rocky Dennis wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 pm
My current pipe dream is for fans to give loui eriksson the "fire gillis" treatment for the rest of the year...or 4. At least then he would have some entertainment value and you would actually notice when he was on the ice.
There are posters here who think he was an excellent signing
Placeholder while Jimbro is buiding the next dynasty. How many times do we have to do this dance

That being said, fond memories of the infamous Rogers Arena Chant - "Fire Gillis!"
A placeholder until 2022 ? Does this push back the estimated time of completion for the Masterpiece ?

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11423
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:02 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:10 am
Rocky Dennis wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 pm
My current pipe dream is for fans to give loui eriksson the "fire gillis" treatment for the rest of the year...or 4. At least then he would have some entertainment value and you would actually notice when he was on the ice.
There are posters here who think he was an excellent signing
If i recall correctly, at the time I didn't love the signing but I didn't hate it either. I thought it was an overpayment on $$$ (albeit on par with what that ufa class was getting) and definitely a couple of years too long. I remember I thought that Brouwer was the best deal that day but it seems all the "higher" end forward ufas from that summer are proving to be bust signings.
Does "bust" cover Loui? Closing in on two years later, he's been a complete and utter disappointment here. I struggle to recall a Canucks player so bloody invisible on so many nights, at least at that paygrade (Gagner's pretty close but at a smaller cap hit and term fortunately).
To read this week that Eriksson's apparently just numb to the criticism and lack of production (sorry I cant recall the source, local media twitter i think) is just brutal. Numb actually suits the stupid expression on his face most of the time. Show some pride, dignity, anything...even if the drought continues at least make it noticable that you at least care. Show some sort of pulse for god's sake. I get nothing from him. Not sure he even qualifies for the term warm body. For me, thats no example for younger players. Too bad we are stuck with him for at least another year. If Benning could find a taker, that would indeed be genius.
There’s nothing wrong with not initially hating the signing or even thinking it was okay. It’s the idiots that continue to defend it after having seen this slug perform for his first two seasons here. He is a fucking thief with very little pride.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9501
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by SKYO » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:05 pm

IF AZ gets Dahlin I'd make a play for OEL, he's younger & healthier than Karlsson (about to be 28 in May) and the most likely to re-sign in Vancouver, plus will be a few mill cheaper per year than Doughty (the big 3 2019 UFA dmen).


Looking at Nashville's elite defense top4.

Josi $4M (27, 6'1, 200lbs) QB scorer LD --- Ellis $2.5M (27, 5'10, 180lbs) QB RD
Ekholm $3.75M (27, 6'4, 215lbs) big smart scoring dman --- Subban $9M (28, 6'0, 210lbs) QB Norris

Emelin aggresive LD - Weber small QB


OEL (26, 6'2, 200lbs) could be our Josi,
Stecher could be like Ellis
Juolevi could be the thinner version of Ekholm
Just need a PK Subban lol that's all. (draft Bouchard?) trade Tanev for C. Foote?

OEL - Stecher
Juolevi - Bouchard/Foote
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2254
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:02 am

Does "bust" cover Loui? Closing in on two years later, he's been a complete and utter disappointment here. I struggle to recall a Canucks player so bloody invisible on so many nights, at least at that paygrade (Gagner's pretty close but at a smaller cap hit and term fortunately).
To read this week that Eriksson's apparently just numb to the criticism and lack of production (sorry I cant recall the source, local media twitter i think) is just brutal. Numb actually suits the stupid expression on his face most of the time. Show some pride, dignity, anything...even if the drought continues at least make it noticable that you at least care. Show some sort of pulse for god's sake. I get nothing from him. Not sure he even qualifies for the term warm body. For me, thats no example for younger players. Too bad we are stuck with him for at least another year. If Benning could find a taker, that would indeed be genius.
Well said. Boy, I wish I could drive him to the airport. *LOL*

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9501
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by SKYO » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 pm

Oh snap! the first big domino falls...Phaneuf to Kings. :o
Bob McKenzie:

It’s believed Dion Phaneuf has been pulled from OTT-PIT game to facilitate a trade to LAK.
Dreger: "Phaneuf and Thompson for Gaborik and Shore. Sens retain 25% of Phaneuf salary."
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17603
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Strangelove » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm

SKYO wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 pm
Dreger: "Phaneuf and Thompson for Gaborik and Shore. Sens retain 25% of Phaneuf salary."
Odd one.

3 declining players (especially Gabby) and a 25-yr-old 4th line centre who kills penalties.

But Phaneuf and Thompson should help the Kings in the playoffs this year... and maybe next?

Sens save $9M or so in real dollars over the course of these contracts (even with the Dion retention and with a Gabby buyout).

$7.2M over 6 years to buyout Gabby, if they could LTIR him they could save more like $16.2M real dollars total.

(but not sure if his contract is insured or how LTIRable he is)

Young Shore replaces Old Man Thompson on the 4th line, Phaneuf replaced from within.

All very rough numbers calculated late at night by a very tired Strangelove, but this had to be a real dollars thing for Sens...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1731
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by ESQ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:41 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 pm

There’s nothing wrong with not initially hating the signing or even thinking it was okay. It’s the idiots that continue to defend it after having seen this slug perform for his first two seasons here. He is a fucking thief with very little pride.
Literally nobody says that.

The Dude's point has been ya he's under-performed, but it was a bad buyer's market for UFAs that year and it seemed a reasonable gamble. He also points out (on occasion) that many other GMs regret their similar UFA signings from that year.

I admit that I am completely shocked at how terrible he has been. I thought it was expensive, but a good price for a 50-60 point forward, but even if he was a 40-point player it would add offense and not be terrible.

There is no person on this here board who continues to defend it based on the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13368
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 am

I hated the idea of chasing Lucic and was glad he turned down the Canucks. I hated the idea of chasing Ericksson and was disappointed he signed here.

I never saw either player as a good fit for where we were in our development. But ya it's only money right, didn't cost us assets and he does have a modified NTC. If anything Benning has shown he can move out trade protected players when he wants to.

But I don't really see anyone defending Louie just defending the low cost in acquiring him. No I didn't say his cap is low cost, just the acquisition cost that was zero.

He isn't really taking a roster spot, this year anyway, from a prospect. Realistically the only two prospects we can talk about here are Goldobin and Boucher. Neither have done enough of anything to displace Louie. Next year maybe an entirely different matter though when you talk about Goldobin, Boucher perhaps, Gaudette, Lind, Dahlen, Pettersson and add in Virtanen who needs to take the next step.

I'd be fine trading him and retaining 25-30% over the next four years if we could. Although he could be a good one to expose in 20-21 for Seattle :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7942
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 am

ESQ wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:41 pm

The Dude's point has been ya he's under-performed, but it was a bad buyer's market for UFAs that year and it seemed a reasonable gamble. He also points out (on occasion) that many other GMs regret their similar UFA signings from that year.
The point was made by many before he was signed: Stay out of UFA unless you're ready to contend. If you're going to be a player in UFA, you're going to overpay. It was dumb to be going after ANYONE at the time. Loui's contract is a standard stupid season (UFA) contract. Nobody signs one of the best-available UFA's to a long-term deal and says "what a home-run".

Realistically, we should be looking to sign an Eriksson-esque deal in a couple seasons, maybe halfway through or in the final year of Juolevi/Pettersen's ELC deals.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11423
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am

ESQ wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:41 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 pm

There’s nothing wrong with not initially hating the signing or even thinking it was okay. It’s the idiots that continue to defend it after having seen this slug perform for his first two seasons here. He is a fucking thief with very little pride.
Literally nobody says that.

The Dude's point has been ya he's under-performed, but it was a bad buyer's market for UFAs that year and it seemed a reasonable gamble. He also points out (on occasion) that many other GMs regret their similar UFA signings from that year.

I admit that I am completely shocked at how terrible he has been. I thought it was expensive, but a good price for a 50-60 point forward, but even if he was a 40-point player it would add offense and not be terrible.

There is no person on this here board who continues to defend it based on the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.
I’m not going to go through the archives but either defending or deflecting it is dumb. I have heard neither of the two Benning cheerleaders say what it really is: a poor signing.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Lancer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 am

Strangelove wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm
SKYO wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 pm
Dreger: "Phaneuf and Thompson for Gaborik and Shore. Sens retain 25% of Phaneuf salary."
Odd one.

3 declining players (especially Gabby) and a 25-yr-old 4th line centre who kills penalties.

But Phaneuf and Thompson should help the Kings in the playoffs this year... and maybe next?

Sens save $9M or so in real dollars over the course of these contracts (even with the Dion retention and with a Gabby buyout).

$7.2M over 6 years to buyout Gabby, if they could LTIR him they could save more like $16.2M real dollars total.

(but not sure if his contract is insured or how LTIRable he is)

Young Shore replaces Old Man Thompson on the 4th line, Phaneuf replaced from within.

All very rough numbers calculated late at night by a very tired Strangelove, but this had to be a real dollars thing for Sens...
Melnyk is a cheapskate when he can afford to be one. This has 'money' written all over it. Otherwise it's just changing deck chairs on a ship taking in water.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1647
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Tciso » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 am
I hated the idea of chasing Lucic and was glad he turned down the Canucks. I hated the idea of chasing Ericksson and was disappointed he signed here.

I never saw either player as a good fit for where we were in our development. But ya it's only money right, didn't cost us assets and he does have a modified NTC. If anything Benning has shown he can move out trade protected players when he wants to.

But I don't really see anyone defending Louie just defending the low cost in acquiring him. No I didn't say his cap is low cost, just the acquisition cost that was zero.

He isn't really taking a roster spot, this year anyway, from a prospect. Realistically the only two prospects we can talk about here are Goldobin and Boucher. Neither have done enough of anything to displace Louie. Next year maybe an entirely different matter though when you talk about Goldobin, Boucher perhaps, Gaudette, Lind, Dahlen, Pettersson and add in Virtanen who needs to take the next step.

I'd be fine trading him and retaining 25-30% over the next four years if we could. Although he could be a good one to expose in 20-21 for Seattle :mrgreen:
Can we expose him sooner??? :D :D :D

Even if we don't trade him, we do have a great option of sending him to Utica next year if he is being out-played by the kids. Yes, he is an expensive mistake dollar-wise, but, the kids are all on entry level contracts, so there isn't much of a cap hit issue. And, I don't think Loui will want to ride piss hole for 4 years at his age.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1731
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by ESQ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:06 pm

For Seattle to take Loui, you have to consider what you'd have to trade them to take the contract.

Probably a 2nd or Goldobin-level prospect

Locked