Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Madcombinepilot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:14 am
Bitchford moaning about how Benning has had only 28 draft picks since being the GM here for 4 drafts. 28 is the alloted amount he should have (7 picks per draft) "get more picks Benning you dufus!" How about just be happy that he hasn't drafted less than than his allotted amount, lol? "No he needs hundreds, dammit!"
People forget to add the undrafted college signings to this number. Benning has shown a knack for finding some guys from this pool as well.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:57 am

Update on the Big 2016 UFA signings

Okposo - 9 goals 26 assists 35 points
Lucic - 9 goals 21 assists 30 points
Nielsen - 13 goals 12 assists 25 points
Backes - 10 goals 15 assists 25 points
Eriksson - 10 goals 12 assists 22 points
Ladd - 9 goals 12 assists 21 points
Brouwer - 3 goals 12 assists 15 points
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Dude, perhaps you could put the GP beside each player for a better perspective

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 pm

Okposo - 57 games
Lucic - 57 games
Nielsen - 57 games
Backes - 39 games
Eriksson - 47 games
Ladd - 51 games
Brouwer - 54 games
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:14 am
Bitchford moaning about how Benning has had only 28 draft picks since being the GM here for 4 drafts. 28 is the alloted amount he should have (7 picks per draft) "get more picks Benning you dufus!" How about just be happy that he hasn't drafted less than than his allotted amount, lol? "No he needs hundreds, dammit!"
People forget to add the undrafted college signings to this number. Benning has shown a knack for finding some guys from this pool as well.
Plus, acquiring Dahlen and Goldobin a year after they were drafted was pretty close to adding 1st/2nd-rounders.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 am

Gudbranson is off the trade block?
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports

Hearing contract talks with Erik Gudbranson are going in the right direction. Been told they are getting closer to an extension. #Canucks

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 am

Jovocop wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 am

Hearing contract talks with Erik Gudbranson are going in the right direction. Been told they are getting closer to an extension. #Canucks
Oh no! I thought if we got anything less than high 1st for him, our GM was a moron??? :D
2017 - The Road to 65™

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:43 am

Cornuck wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 am
Jovocop wrote:

Oh no! I thought if we got anything less than high 1st for him, our GM was a moron??? :D
Yes, the same people who suggested Gudbranson should be traded for a bag of pucks. :mrgreen:

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 am

Every Canuck forum and comment section is imploding.

Bitchford, media and analytics nerdz (especially those looking for cushy NHL jobs) are writing angst-filled posts as we speak.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Interesting, would $12.5m for 3 years be too much?
Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Following up on what @DhaliwalSports tweeted earlier, contract talks between VAN and pending UFA D Erik Gudbranson are ongoing/progressing. Deal not yet done but seems to be headed in that general direction.

It will be interesting to see where Gudbranson extension would end up. Most 26-year-old pending UFA D would be looking for a lot of term, 5+ years, but because Gudbranson only played 30 games last year and 41 so far this season, reality is he’ll likely end up with lesser term.

Whatever the deal is, has to be enough term and AAV for Gudbranson to want to forgo UFA. He’s making $3.5M now, so will be looking for some type of raise, no doubt. Three years with an AAV that starts with a 4 or thereabaouts, give or take a 200K? That would be my best guess.
Jovocop wrote:

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:04 pm

Dale Tallon and Luongo are choked! Gudbranson was their future captain, leader and defensive behemoth, now will be locked up by the Canucks, the big beast is staying put! IMESHO that means a Tanev deal is likely if not this TDD, then at the draft.....that is IF it's worth it like a bonafide blue-chip dman prospect at the very minimum.
Three years with an AAV that starts with a 4 or thereabaouts, give or take a 200K? That would be my best guess.
Would make sense for the Canucks nothing too crazy long term, Guds gets another few years of stability.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm

SKYO wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:04 pm
Dale Tallon and Luongo are choked! Gudbranson was their future captain, leader and defensive behemoth, now will be locked up by the Canucks, the big beast is staying put! IMESHO that means a Tanev deal is likely if not this TDD, then at the draft.....that is IF it's worth it like a bonafide blue-chip dman prospect at the very minimum.
Three years with an AAV that starts with a 4 or thereabaouts, give or take a 200K? That would be my best guess.
Would make sense for the Canucks nothing too crazy long term, Guds gets another few years of stability.
I hope Tanev stays, and Edler goes.

C'mon Jimbro, move another unmoveable contract!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm
SKYO wrote:

I know Edler has his limitations, and those particularly irk you, but it's the only pairing so far on which Gudbranson has looked effective. If the Canucks are keeping one, I think they're well-advised to keep both.

Without having to negotiate around a NTC, Tanev should bring the higher return, anyway.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm
SKYO wrote:

I know Edler has his limitations, and those particularly irk you, but it's the only pairing so far on which Gudbranson has looked effective. If the Canucks are keeping one, I think they're well-advised to keep both.

Without having to negotiate around a NTC, Tanev should bring the higher return, anyway.
Oh, I make no bones about driving the 'Trade Edler' bus, but it's not about his limitations irking me, it's about I feel it's the right move at the right time. While Tanev would be easier to move, in a couple years when we are closer to contending, I would want the veterans on defence to be Tanev and Gudbrandson oppose to a 35 (36?) year old Edler. Edler has been on the decline for a couple years, and the time to move him is now. (Or last year) 😀

Besides, moving Edlers 'unmovable' contract would be an excellent warm up manouever to the real deal of moving Erickssons albatross. 😀😀

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:28 pm

So let's assume they re-sign Gudbranson. Now Guddy, Tanev, Stecher on the right side long term. Biega is the extra, short-term only.

Left side is Edler (not moving, even if we want him to as he's made that clear), MDZ. Juolevi coming next year and will play some NHL games even if he's in the AHL for a while first. Hutton the extra. Pouliot plays both sides.

So now we've got the worst d corps in the NHL locked up for another year at least, perhaps longer if they re-sign Edler, Stecher (almost surely will be done this summer), Pouliot (who knows). They can't score, and they are challenged at defending.

Where does the improvement come from? I will be shocked if they trade Tanev, so how does this D get better? It's a tire fire at the moment, no clue why you would want to keep this group together.