Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Lancer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Topper wrote:LA is a good destination for a tire fire like Subban
Another tire fire Gillis draft pick fail.
So Benning essentially gave Subban away for a ball of used hockey tape. Subban's time here was done as soon as he was sent down from camp. If he wasn't going to make it on Green's squad, no chance of him making it. I wager he'll make a decent living in Sweden or Switzerland or something.

Still, I'd rather Benning got a draft pick than some basement-potential nobody. Why take on the salary if he won't do jack shit either in the A or the NHL. Kid has busted 20 goals once - in his senior college year. Do we need a repeat of the 'wasting time with Nathan Smith doing fuck-all out there' experience? Just take the draft pick instead of shelling out Aquabucks on this bum. I put this kid in the Chaput/Megna "Waste of Contract Space" category. Subtraction by addition in this case. :scowl:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Demko reassigned to Utica. The acquisition of Dowd keeps us up at the cap. No word if Dorsett has been placed on LTIR.

Vanek not at practice today.

Tanev did a Horvat but did make practice. So you know he's playing hurt right now. Too bad we don't have a rightie to call up :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Demko reassigned to Utica. The acquisition of Dowd keeps us up at the cap. No word if Dorsett has been placed on LTIR.

Tanev did a Horvat but did make practice. So you know he's playing hurt right now. Too bad we don't have a rightie to call up :mrgreen:
The most value Dowd will have to the team.

Given what they got for Subban, pretty clear they would have traded for an AHL journeyman over calling Subban up as an injury call-up.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Lancer wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Demko reassigned to Utica. The acquisition of Dowd keeps us up at the cap. No word if Dorsett has been placed on LTIR.

The most value Dowd will have to the team.

Given what they got for Subban, pretty clear they would have traded for an AHL journeyman over calling Subban up as an injury call-up.
How many years did Green coach him? Pretty confident that Green knows his game and whether he is a player he wants, or not, in the NHL. Green has consistently said, throughout his coaching career, if a player cannot play in his own end he won't be an NHL player. He talks that way about forwards as well as D. That is one of the most important things to Green. As their improved defensive play is noticed their ice time will go up. But the opposite is also true.

Dowd will not win us a Stanley Cup. But Dowd MAY provide competent bottom six play. This entire board, almost, had a collective enough with Megna and Chaput. So now we get a different flavour. As Carol Schram points out, the first ever Alabaman to play for us! Wonder if he still votes there.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:57 pm

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Micky107 wrote: #1 Players do care about standings.
#2 Another elite, or close to it center, is "NOT" panic. It's logical and fits the rebuild.
Island can correct me if I am misinterpreting, but I think the reference to "panic" is in relation to trading future picks and prospects for help now (to the extent that such a trade isn't an obvious home run). No point in trading away from the stockpile that JB is attempting to amass for a slightly better chance at making the playoffs. Stay the course. Accept the pain now in the (hopeful) knowledge that our time is yet to come.

Hell, it would seem that even the apologists agree that the future is more important than now with their mantra of "focus on 1 to 2 years from now".
Thanks for spelling it out DC4PM.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 pm

DonCherry4PM wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: We've lost Dorsett as well and Dowd can play wing. A bottom six fill in, purely depth. I'd rather this move then trading a top prospect(s) and high pick(s) for a top six centre. We will just have to gut out the injuries.

As for LA, they have players coming off IR and I guess they'd rather have an asset rather than risk losing someone on waivers.
Yep. NHL depth for AHL depth. This team is in no position to be caring about the standings, so there's no reason to make a panicked move due to injuries. The window needs to be installed before it can be opened...
#1 Players do care about standings.
#2 Another elite, or close to it center, is "NOT" panic. It's logical and fits the rebuild.
Island can correct me if I am misinterpreting, but I think the reference to "panic" is in relation to trading future picks and prospects for help now (to the extent that such a trade isn't an obvious home run). No point in trading away from the stockpile that JB is attempting to amass for a slightly better chance at making the playoffs. Stay the course. Accept the pain now in the (hopeful) knowledge that our time is yet to come.

Hell, it would seem that even the apologists agree that the future is more important than now with their mantra of "focus on 1 to 2 years from now".
I wouldn't touch the existing assets.
I would consider Tanev + our 2018 first round pick. But it would have to be cherry. Barkov is locked up. Was just pointing out the type of player.
Would rather it be Edler leaving but that wont happen.
"evolution"

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Florida doesn’t make that trade. End of story.
“SUTTER IS AS GOOD AS COUTURIER”

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:52 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Florida doesn’t make that trade. End of story.
Read !
"evolution"

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:01 am

The big question has been answered. Dowd to wear number 26!

Game time decision for Green but he speaks highly of him. Sounds like a Green want was filled by Benning. Last time a coach wanted someone from LA, well.......

Still, I like the trade. Subban was going no where here.

Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Game time decision for Green but he speaks highly of him. Sounds like a Green want was filled by Benning. Last time a coach wanted someone from LA, well.......
My question was "who will be the next teachers pet once dorsett retired". We may well now have our answer.
Still, I like the trade. Subban was going no where here.
I would have considered a bag of pucks a win for Elmer here. Not sure why anyone would be bent out of shape over this and personally dont think any team was about to give up draft pick assets for him, and especially not valuable (or even semi valuable ones). I'm glad we can finally stop hearing people, particularly the van media, clamouring for this puny defensive train wreck to play.

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:22 am

Who the fuck is Flip Livingstone? Is that a made up name?

He has an article on The Score app hacking into how shitty the Canucks are and how with Horvat out and our glaring lack of depth at all positions we will be falling back down where we belong...

Its a pretty good hatchet job...stinks like bitter coiler fans
nobody focks...with the jesus

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:25 am

Here read for yourselves...doc shouldn't have as much to say about copyright issues since me questioning this supports his narrative lol

Overachieving Canucks set to fall back to earth with Horvat out
Flip Livingstone Dec 8, 2017 9:22 AM
Just when it looked like the Vancouver Canucks were starting to round into form as a potential playoff threat, the injury bug sunk its teeth into perhaps the team's most important player.

Vancouver is facing the harsh reality of playing the next four-to-six weeks without its top forward - Bo Horvat - as he'll miss at least the next month with a fractured foot.

Let's get one thing straight: Losing one player to injury should never determine whether a club is a playoff contender or not.

But, in the case of Horvat and the overachieving Canucks, there just isn't enough talent on the roster to replace a guy who does a lot more than fill the scoresheet.

Case in point, Alex Burmistrov slotted into Horvat's spot alongside Brock Boeser against the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday, and while his one shot and even rating weren't the reasons for the 4-1 loss, he simply isn't good enough to fill the void in Horvat's absence.

That goes for the rest of the group tasked with filling in for Horvat up the middle, as Sam Gagner, Markus Granlund, and Brendan Gaunce all leave something to be desired. That trio, who will be leaned on heavily by head coach Travis Green over the next few weeks, has only seven combined goals to go along with a crooked minus-13 rating, and were all nonfactors Thursday.

Killing penalties, scoring on the man advantage, winning faceoffs - Horvat really does it all for a Vancouver club lacking in depth at almost every position.

(Photo courtesy: Getty Images)

That lack of depth is especially felt on the back end, where the Canucks employ a ragtag group of rearguards that includes Ben Hutton (minus-39 since the start of the 2015-16 campaign) and Michael Del Zotto (minus-10 with a Corsi For percentage of 45).

Now, the Canucks are far from being in the sweepstakes for the No. 1 overall pick and potential future Norris winner in Rasmus Dahlin. But, if the team starts to slide like expected, Green's men could find themselves in prime draft position for one of the three or four D-men projected to be in the top 10.

Realistically, the Canucks are too good to secure the top pick. But, Horvat was the straw that stirred the drink, and without him, Vancouver's weaknesses - such as a poor penalty kill that sits 19th in the NHL - will be magnified, especially with Brandon Sutter still on the shelf.

No disrespect to guys like Derrick Pouliot and Chris Tanev, who have performed admirably on the back end this season, and Boeser and Sven Baertschi up front, but without Horvat, the Canucks just aren't good enough to compete in the Western Conference.

With Horvat on the shelf for the foreseeable future, and the supporting cast unable to pick up the slack, an overachieving Vancouver squad is set to struggle.
nobody focks...with the jesus

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:08 am

micky107 wrote:
Read !
Read what ? You posted earlier that you’d like to get Barkov out of Florida. Why the fuck would Florida trade him ? He’s one of the best players in the league
“SUTTER IS AS GOOD AS COUTURIER”

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Read !
Read what ? You posted earlier that you’d like to get Barkov out of Florida. Why the fuck would Florida trade him ? He’s one of the best players in the league
C'mon Blobby - try to keep up. :D I know your hanging on the Mick's every word while trying to decipher whatever Doc and the Dude (sounds like a sit-com) are on about. :D
2018-19 - The Road to 82

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:55 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Read !
That's not what I said.
"evolution"