Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

micky107
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by micky107 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:33 pm
That's what I look for on this board: not just blind hope, but reasons to hope. Thank you.
micky107 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 am
Quite frankly, Tryamkin's agent, unless he is on some sort of weird patriotic agenda, should be telling him to cash in on the Canucks for next year.
Your numbers are great. Your health is good. The team is desperate for what you can bring.
Every year you wait now, intangibles could change everything.
Is this wrong?
This is what I posted on another thread on Wednesday.
"evolution"

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:52 pm

ukcanuck wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:33 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:22 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:22 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 pm
Topper wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 pm

The only players left from the team that hit the ice in 2013/2014
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Alex Edler
Chris Tanev

...but people only thought the rebuild began when Hansen and Burrows were moved. LOL
Turnover happens.

Pittsburgh Penguins:
Crosby
Dumoulin (a whopping 6 GP in 13/14)
Letang
Maata
Malkin

Edmonton Oilers:
Klefbom
RNH

Arizona:
Ekman-Larsson
2 of those teams were rebuilding and the other is a oddity built around 3 superstars...
Excellent analysis.
It wasn't an analysis. :scowl:

Topper was pointing out we were in a rebuild at a point in time many here denied it.

YOUR response seemed to be that the "turnover" does not prove a rebuild.

MY response was that YES, yes it kinda does.

Always a pleasure Mr Nucklehead. :D
If you ask me ( and no one did ) but the rebuild began with the kesler trade. This idea of a soft rebuild or whatever was merely Benning icing a team that he could the slot rookies in without making them carry the load Like they do in Edmonton.
I suspect that in Benning's mind (insert whatever joke you want) the rebuild began when he was hired. The owners wouldn't go for it. Things probably would have been even further delayed had Kesler not insisted on being dealt. The fact that he hamstrung Benning by only agreeing to go to Anaheim required more spin be put on the way forward. Had Benning been given a list of even as few as 5 teams by Kesler, then the return probably would have been much better and the rebuild would have "started" off on a much stronger foot.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Hindsight being 20-20 Elmer should have told Kesler to expand his trade list to five teams or fuck off. He got bent over by Anaheim.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:20 pm
Curious note: Carol Schram noted that Trymakin, recently, changed the header on his twitter account back to him in a Canuck's jersey! A sign I say, a sign!!
Don’t tease me HW.

JK

Best news I have heard in a long time. Would be great to see him back and soon.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:08 pm
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:06 am
Strangelove wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 pm
This is key.

By the time Pettersson and company are lining up to sign their 2nd contracts, Eriksson is off the books.

Sutter too for that matter.

These are the kind of forwards you want around your younguns during a rebuild.

Solid TWO WAY mentors....
Umm.... so u would pay an inconsistent aging veteran $6M X $6 years to be a "two way" mentor? :hmmm:
I already explained the rebuild-capspace logic, so sorry you missed it my dear friend...
It has been explained to u b4 that there are much cheaper alternatives with way shorter term (1-2 years) in finding a mentor to a young team, sorry u missed it buddy...
UMMMM....

You did miss my rebuild-capspace logic (judging by your response or lack thereof).

I did not miss your "cheaper alternatives" logic.

In fact I commented on the silliness of your Brouwer/Vrbata/Weise suggestions.

One more time: Sign the higher-priced MUCH BETTER 2-way mentors

... seeing as how the dollars/term are not going affect the big picture DURING A REBUILD.

Is any of this getting through dear, dear friend?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Well your rebuilding Vancouver Canucks did just that!

Along with other rebuilding teams, some of which were pointed out by my good buddy the Dude.

Who's "wrong" Todd? :wink:
U fail to understand that the Canucks were not thinking rebuild when they signed Loui. Sorry, u can't seem to grasp that. Even your genius never used the word rebuild, it was always "retool on the fly".
YOU fail to understand that despite Jimbro's choice of words

... the debate as to whether or not we are in a "rebuild" has been raging here for a few years now.

In fact the debate has been raging in all of Canuckdom for a long time:
http://canucks.nhl.com/v2/ext/Mediarela ... -22-15.pdf

"Canucks have centred their rebuild around the concept that playing their youngest prospects…

"Whether it’s a rebuild or a retool, the Canucks are in a place where things are going to be unsettled for at least two or three years.

"... a top-five talent taken in the last third of the first round and that’s how you jump start a rebuilding program.

"... Not making moves to target an immediate Stanley Cup run, anxiously clocking their prospects’ progress? Sounds like a rebuild. Except ‘rebuild’ can be an ugly word to say around Benning. He prefers ‘reload.’

"... Canucks have centred their rebuild around the concept that playing their youngest prospects on the same team as the Sedins will be incredibly beneficial."

- Jason Botchford, December 22, 2015
https://jeffpatersonblog.wordpress.com/page/3/

"Whether it’s a rebuild, retool, reload or whatever other re-word fits, the Canucks simply aren’t a very good hockey team."

- Jeff Paterson, January 6, 2016

Note those comments were made prior to the Eriksson signing.

So you see, your comment that "Canucks were not thinking rebuild when they signed Loui"

... is entirely open for debate.

Yours truly most certainly can "grasp" the argument that it's "not a rebuild".

Hell, yours truly has been actively arguing against that argument in this forum for a few years now. :wow:

So sorry you missed that good buddy...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:01 am
Strangelove wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:28 pm
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:01 am
He's a decent player I guess, but the term is definitely too long. I wouldn't mind a 2-3 year deal, maybe 4
I think we'll get decent years out of him maybe 3 out of the 6 years.
Seeing as how you're bragging about that post, one can only assume you feel Loui has been worth every penny thus far
I was wrong on that one. I was hoping that maybe we get 3 good years out of Loui, but his play has been even worse. At this rate, we'd be lucky to get ONE good year out him.
In the first highlighted sentence you clearly stated "maybe 4 years".

I'm wondering why you deleted those first two sentences in this response.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure that out, "WHY" I'm asking myself, "WHY".

But anyway...

Hey, it's great that you can admit you were wrong old chum!

But it's kind of odd you were BRAGGING about your original statement no?

I mean you dug it up, said you were right, and went "WOOOOOOOOOOOO".

Wuttup widdat Toddster?

BRAGGING about being right about something... and then saying you were actually WRONG about dat dere? :eh:
OK, I think once again u fucked up and conveniently misquoted me (not the 1st time). Let's simply look back @ what I wrote.

http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... on#p261925

So yeah, maybe a 4 year deal similar to what Brouwer got, but no way to 6 years for Loui
UMMMMMMMM...... WHAT?!! :shock:

WHERE have I misquoted you here and WHEN have I ever misquoted you in the past!

(old pal)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:40 pm

Funny thing is signing average players to long term bloated contracts and bumping the team up against the salary cap can hinder a rebuild and slow down the process of long term improvement. I think with a bit of honesty(to themselves and the fans) this rebuild could have gone a bit smoother, a bit quicker and ultimately a bit better for the carpinders had they been more forthright and direct in both their actions and their communication.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 pm

^^^"the rebuild could have been smoother"^^^ LOL. There is nothing smooth about a rebuild. When teams are in that part a cycle like we are in now, it's a tucking ugly process no matter how you slice it, fans are mad, media is mad, owners - bottom line, If you are rebuilding you are losing, nothing nice about losing especially at home in front of your fans and the boss

But Bubbles keep that focus on the place holders like you do, ignore the good job Benning has done at rebuilding the prospect pool. I mean isn't it drafting and developing that is key with where this team is at and not the place holders who will mean shit when this rebuild is done? You should pop on over to Sportsnet and read the article on the Canucks about the fine rebuild they are doing
Last edited by RoyalDude on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 pm

It could have been smoother. Smoother at least than the rough ride Elmer got sitting on Kurt Overhardts lap

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:01 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 pm
^^^"the rebuild could have been smoother"^^^ LOL. There is nothing smooth about a rebuild. When teams are in that part a cycle like we are in now, it's a tucking ugly process no matter how you slice it, fans are mad, media is mad, owners - bottom line, If you are rebuilding you are losing, nothing nice about losing especially at home in front of your fans and the boss

But Bubbles keep that focus on the place holders like you, ignore the good job Benning has done at rebuilding the prospect pool. I mean isn't it drafting and developing that is key and not the place holders who will mean shit when this rebuild is done? You should pop on over to Sportsnet and read the article on the Canucks about the fine rebuild they are doing
Folks who can't handle a rebuild always say things like "the rebuild could have been smoother".

(once they start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel that is)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm

And some folks who can’t handle the truth are often dishonest or too far invested in sticking with a belief or a mindset no matter how flawed it is. They are terrified to change an opinion or even open their minds even a little bit in a determination to be right above all else and go down with a sinking ship if necessary. It’s ok I will toss these boozehounds a life raft when the ship does inevitably sink. First I’ll bounce a few beer bottle and an anchor off a couple domes though.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:18 pm

And if the ship doesn't sink Darth Blobbers?

Will you forsake the Dark Side? :D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:18 pm
And if the ship doesn't sink Blobbers?

Will you forsake the Dark Side?
I am living in reality with the Canucks. You and your outfit have doubled down on the positivity train. I have already said I’d extend the pisstank one more year but no longer than two. That said I wouldn’t be crushed if they did replace him with a quality candidate. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he gets the boot in April though.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:29 pm

When you have an 18 year old leading the Swedish men's league in scoring, the 2018 Calder trophy favourite, two time defenceman of the month in the kHL, one of the best young goalies not playing in the NHL, NCAA's leading goal scorer, and a top young d man playing men's hockey in Finland not to mention a whole bunch of other excellent prospects I would say the dark side is looking very real for Bubbles
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate