Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Hockey Widow »

Just thought I'd get a head start on a new season thread. Why not?

Boucher signs one year one way deal $687,500.

Same deal as Chaput.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Mickey107 »

Here is where we sit right now.
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks
After Bo, not much left.
I, for one, would like to see more wiggle room, even for this year. No?
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote:Here is where we sit right now.
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks
After Bo, not much left.
I, for one, would like to see more wiggle room, even for this year. No?

Well that shows us keeping 16 forwards, which we won't. Assuming we go with 8 D that means you can drop at least 3 names from that that list. That frees up another 1.8 or higher depending upon who on that list doesn't make the cut. Of course players like Boeser or Virtanen or Molina could make it instead at slightly higher cap hits but then you would have to drop someone else from the list. So realistically that leaves us about 10M, give or take, to sign Bo and Gaunce.

Of similar interest, we have 44/50 contracts signed with Pettersson not included, expecting him to be in Sweden. If Juolevi returns to junior that's one more that slides leaving us 43/50. That leaves us in pretty good shape to pick up any waived players after camp ends and since we finished 29th last season we would have second pick to grab anyone. It also leaves us in good shape to sign any college free agents or junior undrafted overagers at season's end.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

That being the case, I'll throw something out there.
This is totally contrary to what I was saying earlier this year but now, for various reasons, I would think about it.
Evander Kane. He will be 26 by season's start and he's on an expiring contract.
Plus/minus wasn't great last year but he showed signs that he was on the right track, AND,
not afraid to rough it up.
He could create some real competition up front and that could be a great thing, not to mention that if there ever was a year he would want to be at his best, it's this one.
I have this hunch that Juolevi is going to sparkle at camp and make it very difficult to send him packing for the year.
Would anyone consider trading Tanev for Kane?
I would be surprised if Buffalo was on his No-Go- list because of the proximity to home for him.

Just thought I'd start another debate... :lol:
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Didn't say I'd do it.
But I would look at it.
"evolution"
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Wrong thread....
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

TDA Rum wrote:Wrong thread....
What the hell difference does it make. The're all screwed up anyway. :evil:
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Of similar interest, we have 44/50 contracts signed with Pettersson not included, expecting him to be in Sweden.
If Juolevi returns to junior that's one more that slides leaving us 43/50. That leaves us in pretty good shape to pick up any waived players after camp ends and since we finished 29th last season we would have second pick to grab anyone.

It also leaves us in good shape to sign any college free agents or junior undrafted overagers at season's end.
One guy whom I hope signs here is reef's fave Kerfoot, if he signs here, he'll most definately start in Utica & make that team even better.

& be a call-up if one of our centers get injured.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote:
Well, it's a new thread, a new chance to keep on topic for a little while anyway. Besides almost every thread is polluted with thoughts/ ideas on trading Tanev and/or Edler.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Of similar interest, we have 44/50 contracts signed with Pettersson not included, expecting him to be in Sweden.
If Juolevi returns to junior that's one more that slides leaving us 43/50. That leaves us in pretty good shape to pick up any waived players after camp ends and since we finished 29th last season we would have second pick to grab anyone.

It also leaves us in good shape to sign any college free agents or junior undrafted overagers at season's end.
One guy whom I hope signs here is reef's fave Kerfoot, if he signs here, he'll most definately start in Utica & make that team even better.

Ya I was thinking of him, but only because there has been so much talk about him already. I really know nothing about him.

Another, we have room to sign Gaudette once his season ends. Although I don't like this idea of burning one year off a players ELC. I got it for Boeser, sort of, I think he was going to sign anyway. Too bad UND didn't go further :mrgreen: . I got it for Trymakin, was the only way to get him to sign his ELC. Molina has wheels and was free to sign anywhere so I guess we had to burn a year. But Gaudette....oh well it's just money.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: It also leaves us in good shape to sign any college free agents or junior undrafted overagers at season's end.

Ya I was thinking of him, but only because there has been so much talk about him already. I really know nothing about him.

Another, we have room to sign Gaudette once his season ends. Although I don't like this idea of burning one year off a players ELC.
I think with Gaudette there isn't a burning urgency to sign him like there was for Boeser (who was rippin' it up all-star like in college), so it's a safe bet both sides sign in the summer so his contract will start for the 2018/19 season.

cue thinker (as an aside) With the Sedins closing in on retirement, and a lot more talented young gun prospects in the stable to play with, the opportunity to start a long term build with a great group of guys all coming up around the same time, it's actually an exciting time to be a part of the reinvigorated Vancouver Canucks team.

It'll be good for signing college & junior ufa's.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

micky107 wrote:
Sorry Mick, this is thread where we discuss when the rebuild began, and whether a 2nd for Vey was a bad deal.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Well, it's a new thread, a new chance to keep on topic for a little while anyway. Besides almost every thread is polluted with thoughts/ ideas on trading Tanev and/or Edler.
Well, lets see. It isn't a rumor yet, that I know of, and by the dictionary meaning, fantasy is something that you dream about but could never happen.
Granted, it's not news but an organization doing their due diligence on all possible scenarios could be considered a note.
So like if we're going to go by the letter of the law this year,"and that should be fun", when do the suspensions and vacations start getting handed out? Now? When camp starts? When the regular season starts?

Maybe I, like some others, should just lurk around and point out, what I consider, other people's mistakes.
Gees.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Christ Mick, stop being so sensitive. No one shat on you.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:Christ Mick, stop being so sensitive. No one shat on you.
He's having manopause, this when gown men are sensitive and have sore breasts.

Anyhow, I look forward to a better season, don't expect much different than last year.