Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Chef Boi RD »

My favourite listening moments from yesterday:

People still bitching about the Gudbranson trade like McCann is a primo young stud of a player, its like we traded Barzal and Beauvellier for Gudbranson

Bitchford moaning about how Benning has had only 28 draft picks since being the GM here for 4 drafts. 28 is the alloted amount he should have (7 picks per draft) "get more picks Benning you dufus!" How about just be happy that he hasn't drafted less than than his allotted amount, lol? "No he needs hundreds, dammit!"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

During a rebuild he should have more picks. It’s common sense. I’m over the Gudbranson trade but I’m scared to death of the extension for an often injured bottom pairing guy. I like size and toughness but he no better than Roman Polak or Derek England. He is going to want to cash in on his contract. Let’s not add to the shitty deals we already have.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So having his allotted amount is just not good enough?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:57 am So having his allotted amount is just not good enough?
He should have more ,it’s common sense to accumulate more picks and prospects during a rebuild.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:37 am
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:57 am So having his allotted amount is just not good enough?
He should have more ,it’s common sense to accumulate more picks and prospects during a rebuild.
Yes, but the owner wants to win as well. With limited cap spaces and depreciating assets, the only thing that GMJB could do was trading draft picks for some NHL ready young players that could contribute sooner than draft picks. Granlund and Baertschi turned out well, not so much for Vey. Similar to drafting, trading is a gamble as well, you win some and you lost some.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Common sense among Bubble's peers.

Hungover, sharing breath mints while shuffling through the lineup at the local EI office.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:23 am Common sense among Bubble's peers.

Hungover, sharing breath mints while shuffling through the lineup at the local EI office.
Nahhh I’m at the town store in Christina Lake looking at a real estate magazine and looking to buy me a mansion for 200 K. Town store, Liquor outlet, hotel and restaurant all in one. I feel like I’m in the Big Smoke
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 am
Topper wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:23 am Common sense among Bubble's peers.

Nahhh I’m at the town store in Christina Lake looking at a real estate magazine and looking to buy me a mansion for 200 K. Town store, Liquor outlet, hotel and restaurant all in one. I feel like I’m in the Big Smoke
Great spot for you, you'll blend in with the rest of Juri's Bountiful that lives there. There is a great bike shop at Christina Lake, a couple of good beaches (without leeches), after that, I don't go there much. Golf course is highly recommended.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hutton is scratched again. If GMJB wants to trade him, would the Cancuks not play him more?

Vancouver Canucks @Canucks

Biega in, Hutton out.
Goldobin in, Baertschi out.

Coach Green said #Canucks need to bring energy tonight in San Jose. Biega and Goldobin bring that.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Weird that Baertschi is a healthy scratch after a 2-point night and 4 points in last 4 games.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:42 pm Weird that Baertschi is a healthy scratch after a 2-point night and 4 points in last 4 games.
Unless they plan to move one of them. Not sure, but you’re right it is weird :?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:27 pm Hutton is scratched again. If GMJB wants to trade him, would the Cancuks not play him more?

Vancouver Canucks @Canucks

Biega in, Hutton out.
Goldobin in, Baertschi out.

Coach Green said #Canucks need to bring energy tonight in San Jose. Biega and Goldobin bring that.
Benning has said he's talked in depth with every GM in the league for awhile now. He knows how the GMs feel about his players he'd entertain a trading. Maybe a moot point playing a player who may only be getting a lukewarm tire kicking
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Only caught the third last night and energy was an issue. Passes to where skaters were supposed to be of where they were 2 steamboats ago...lazy.

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:23 pm Only caught the third last night and energy was an issue. Passes to where skaters were supposed to be of where they were 2 steamboats ago...lazy.
Yeah, and that was pretty much to a man. Felt like if the closest they could get to hitting their target was to put it into his skates.....which is nearly as useless.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:50 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:42 pm Weird that Baertschi is a healthy scratch after a 2-point night and 4 points in last 4 games.
Unless they plan to move one of them. Not sure, but you’re right it is weird :?
Baertschi put up points, but he's also been high risk of late. Lots of risky plays at the blueline, and plenty of pucks going the wrong way at that point. Green seems to be about accountability for everyone outside of the Sedins and Edler when it comes to sitting someone down to send a message.

But yeah, I'm thinking pending trade makes the most sense.

Nobody has said much about the fact that Baertschi is a RFA, and arbitration eligible, this year. Maybe Jim and his agent haven't been able to find any kind of common ground in preliminary discussions and Jim would prefer to deal him rather than have to overpay?

Honestly I think Virtanen, who is also hitting RFA in July could be equally as effective as Baertschi given the same opportunities, and Jake, despite some inconsistencies, has shown that he can respond to tough love from the coach.....Virtanen is not eligible for arbitration.