Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

micky107
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by micky107 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:34 am

Per wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:39 am
Strangelove wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm
Tryamkin interview:

https://www.sports.ru/hockey/1062396799.html
I will think about returning to the NHL when my contract with Avtomobilist would be over. If they will need me, if I play good enough that they would want to sign me. I have not turned over the page with the NHL for myself but this is not 100% guarantee that I will go there.

I watch the NHL games, mostly with Vancouver - there is 12-hour time difference so I wake up, watch the games before my practice, this is interesting to see how the team is doing. Read reviews, follow the Russian players, how they play, who scores, interesting stuff.

I keep contact with Kolya Goldobin, talk on phone sometimes, he is proving that he can play and score, I am happy for him. Sometimes the Russian factor plays the role, this is unavoidable.

The Sedins brothers are gone, they have made huge contribution in the club history, the amazing people who played for the same club for 18 years. Now young players have a chance to prove themselves, and if Vancouver is lucky to get the 1st or 2nd draft pick, this would be very important because the club needs another young leader like Brock Boeser. The first two are going to be Svechnikov and Dahlin, both are very good players
To have Tryamkin back would be huge.
Sounds like he just said enough to seem like he's keeping current with the team that drafted him.
He doesn't seem interested.
Guess maybe he really is a real Russian Russian.
Forget it for now and carry on.
The high profile NHL just doesn't seem to suit him.
"evolution"

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:22 pm

Tryamkin will be back, hell even Kovalchuk is coming back, this is the best league in the world for a reason.

Probably in two years when Goldy is putting Cherry to shame.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Hey! I just said Goldobin has a place on the team.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPdHaNr0OAY

But is it okay if we start calling him George?
We are all Jim Benning.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:59 pm

If your Jewish how about Goldstein?
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Trymankin is on the Russian WC team. Now whether he makes the final cut....
The only HW the Canucks need

5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by 5thhorseman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:39 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm
I thought he was KHL defenseman of the month for a few months running.

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:49 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 pm
Drafting Svechnikov may also help lure the Redwood Tree back
Hmm.. might be a good idea. If we get 2nd or 3rd pick, he may be the guy to go for. It'd be pretty sweet to have 2 potential big time snipers in the lineup (Brokstar + Svechnikov). Nice to hear Tryamkin is possibly interested in coming back. When Chubarov and Koltsov went back, we pretty much never heard from them again. Social media is much more advanced these days though I guess.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:51 am

5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:39 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm
I thought he was KHL defenseman of the month for a few months running.
Yes but he didn't get a sniff for the Olympic roster. Now how many Russian Dmen are still playing in the NHL playoffs?

I hope he gets to play for his country.
The only HW the Canucks need

UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by UWSaint » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:56 am

Cherry Picker wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:49 pm
Fine, we overlook his bucket of blunders and keep Goldobin for his flashes of brilliance, but really mostly because Tryamkin wants to kiss him and love him and hug him and squeeze him and call him George.
Or we pay attention to the fact that with each call up Goldobin's defensive game was better and that after the Vanek deal, with more minutes available, Goldobin took a significant step forward in terms of battle, defensive zone awareness, and backchecking hustle. His goofs continue to be high-risk low-reward turnovers -- but that's a lot better than a guy who looses his check, isn't available for an outlet pass, and loses nearly every one on one battle. I don't mind high risk plays, he just needs to get better at doing them where the reward is a scoring opportunity and not merely maintaining possession while keeping it in the zone or exiting the d-zone.

[And I love that scene with Bugs Bunny & the abominable snowman....]
Hono_rary Canadian

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:11 am

Hey Per any info on Pär Lindholm?

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bu ... 1.23282768

I imagine if the Canucks got him he'll get a chance on the Canucks roster, but if Green doesn't like him - like Burmistrov, he could go to Utica and/or return to the SHL.

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:58 am

SKYO wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:11 am

I imagine if the Canucks got him he'll get a chance on the Canucks roster, but if Green doesn't like him - like Burmistrov, he could go to Utica and/or return to the SHL.
Skellefteå's first line has been considered the best scoring line in the SHL for quite some time, and they have also played together on the national team, eg at the Olympics. That being said, he is from Skellefteå. They are evil. And Växjö shut them down completely.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:23 am

Per wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:58 am
SKYO wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:11 am

Skellefteå's first line has been considered the best scoring line in the SHL for quite some time, and they have also played together on the national team, eg at the Olympics. That being said, he is from Skellefteå. They are evil. And Växjö shut them down completely.
Skelleftea, scum, they remind me of shelbyville

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks Per!

---

Was thinking the Canucks should let Baumer go to get a better experienced "defensive coordinator" coach, but was reading on ol homeboy and it appears coaching is his blood, so I shall let him be to work his magic, however I would like him to be more aggressive as an assistant coach to Green, to whip this defense into a formidable military unit next year.
Baumgartner was an assistant to Arniel with the Chicago Wolves in 2012-13 and transitioned to the Comets the following season with the encouragement and influence of former Canucks assistant general manager Lorne Henning.

“He said: ‘You’ll make a great coach one day if that’s what you want to do,’” said Baumgartner. “We talked a lot about it and I have to give him credit. He went to bat for me and was a bit of a mentor.”

I don’t know if they (players) know my story, but I’ve been through a lot and seen a lot,” he stressed. “I only played 147 NHL games (seven goals, 40 assists) and my dream was to have a long career, but it didn’t work out that way.

“I played over 850 AHL games (actually 973), and with all the trials and tribulations with injuries, I have some good advice.”

And, again, that’s where Baumgartner believes he had a been-there-done-that advantage as an NHL rookie assistant coach.

“I can relate to the younger guys and I’ve played with Edler,” he summed up. “We were partners and had a mutual respect. And in the end, those guys (veterans) want to be coached — everybody does.

“Deep down they know they’re not going to get further without coaching.”

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... hing-staff

A good read on Green and Baumer with the rest of the coaching staff early in the 2017/18 season.

“I like the way he [Green] does that in practice and I think the guys appreciate that as well,” Baumgartner says. “He’s not barking to give the guys crap, he’s just telling them to move their feet. It’s all about habits and the way we want to play. We always talk about playing fast and playing quick and when you hear him yelling at guys out there, that’s what he’s trying to do. It’s all about the details. If you start a drill and make a bad pass, he blows it down and makes you do it again. I think as a player it makes you pay attention more. If you’re second in line, you’re watching what’s going on and you’re going next and you don’t want to screw up.”

Described as passionate and intense by Canuck players who are still learning daily about the man in charge, Green gets the last say on coaching decisions. But Baumgartner insists that behind the scenes the Canucks are anything but a one-man show. With Newell Brown, Doug Jarvis, Manny Malhotra and Dan Cloutier rounding out the staff, Baumgartner says Green is open to ideas and very much wants feedback from those around him.

“As a coaching staff, we all have our input and he wants to hear what we have to say,” adds Baumgartner, who will handle the Canucks defence and oversee the penalty killing. “Ultimately, in the end, it’s his call but he takes what we say into consideration and listens to us and he’s got trust in us. And that’s good. You have to have that as a leader. You have to trust the people you work with.”

It seems Green wants those bonds of trust to extend beyond the coaches and to the locker room. The time and effort he has put in with individuals in Utica, whether it’s Jordan Subban or Jake Virtanen, has helped the development of both players. Baumgartner knows much has been made of those two examples, but is quick to add there are plenty of other players who have benefited from dedicated one-on-one time with Green on the ice and in the video room.

As the Canucks launch into the 2017-18 season with a new coaching staff and a new vision for the hockey club, Baumgartner recognizes the work that must be done. He and Green are taking over a team that has finished 28th and 29th in the NHL standings the past two seasons, one that has struggled to score and has had all sorts of challenges on special teams. There is plenty of work to be done.

Like the Canucks organization as a whole, Baumgartner believes Green is up to the task. And he feels strongly that through a tough training camp and the preseason there has already been a shift in the way the club is going about its business.

“I think we can surprise some people,” he predicts. “We know we were successful down in the minors with how we ran things and how we pushed the guys and how we wanted them to play. If we have that total buy-in from everybody, we will have success. And hey, it may not be this year, but you will see us take steps forward this year. And then maybe it’s the next year that we start humming along. It’s going to take some time to get going in the direction we want to go. :thumbs:

I think around our staff right now, we think we’ve taken a small step forward through training camp and we’re all excited to get going here.”

https://www.tsn.ca/baumgartner-green-s- ... e-1.876632

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am

I guess Brian Burke got in his last parting shot at Vancouver. He pissed and cried so much to move the young stars tournament to Red Deer and now the Flames won’t participate. Not sure why the Coilers aren’t going. Kind of a shitty tournament now though.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am
I guess Brian Burke got in his last parting shot at Vancouver. He pissed and cried so much to move the young stars tournament to Red Deer and now the Flames won’t participate. Not sure why the Coilers aren’t going. Kind of a shitty tournament now though.
The Penticton Tournament sched is up, and it's Winnipeg vs Vancouver twice with UBC going against U of A twice. No Flamers; No Coilers. Sad that the Alberta teams decided their tantrums were more important. Was fun while it lasted.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.