Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:46 pm Doc, 1040 and 650 is pissed off that Lindenning didn't give a timeline. Why are the detractors so obsessed with a time line?
Say you've injured your knee, and it doesn't work very well. It might get better with conservative therapy, but it might need surgery. Surgery has its downsides, so you try conservative therapy first (plus the surgeons insist on that).

So you diligently do your physiotherapy, and look for signs of improvement. You're very interested in the timeline of your improvement, because you need to determine whether this course is going to work, or whether you will need surgery. (If you need surgery, it's better to get on the list sooner.) It takes patience, recovery trajectories vary, but sooner or later, you have to say "OK, we've tried this long enough, and we are not happy with the performance, its time to try another treatment modality." (Or yes, maybe "Wow, my knee works great ! Brilliant job, medical team !")

A reasonable question for your surgeon and physiotherapist is, how long is long enough ?

If you want to assert that 4 years is not long enough to assess the work of an NHL GM, I'm sure a reasonable case can be made for that. But it is still fair to ask how much time is enough.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

How about looking at the modern NHL dynasty the Blackhawks rebuild???

1998-2001 4 years of no playoffs, lost 1st round 2002, then 5 years of no playoffs before they went on tear 2009 onwards, almost 10 years of drafting & developing with some nhl draft lotto luck in 2007.

2001 Ruutu eventual->Ladd trade, 2002 Keith, 2003 Seabrook, Crawford, Byfuglien, 2004 Bolland, Bickell, Brouwer, 2005 Hjalmarsson, 2006 TOEWS, 2007 Patrick KANE, 2008 nada.

Benning is 4 years into the rebuild and imo the prospects are looking great, doing really well in their respective leagues.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

...and when Stan Bowman took over, it was already built up competently by Dale Tallon.

As Trevor said, the 2011 core was drafted and developed. It started before he came back in 2001.

Keenan made some good moves to allow a short transition period (WCE), but the work was done via Burke and Nonis and none of you will ever give either any credit whatsoever.

This regime had no knees to stand on when they took over and had to build & develop whole new limbs. But oh noes, 4 years is too much time!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:23 am Apparently it’s a three year extension. Definitely a year too long but they probably wanted to sync it up with Greens deal. The Aquilinis have proven they will eat money for employees giving a poor performance so if Elmer reverts back to Elmer of June 2014- Dec 2016 he will be gassed long before the deal ends. If he continues to improve like he did from Jan 2017 till the present it’s a good deal.

It’s smart not letting him approach the deadline with no deal.Now do the right thing and deal Gudbranson and Vanek and maybe even another player or two. Anything less than nine or ten picks in this draft is a failure.
It's the right length of term. Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, and Gaudette, will all be joining the big club over that period of time and we will be seeing what we've really got. That's saying nothing about who we draft this season, and next. How Benning supports and develops those kids into being the next team without any of the current vets will be telling.....and like you said, they will gas him by the end of 2019 if nothing is panning out.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:34 pm How about looking at the modern NHL dynasty the Blackhawks rebuild???

1998-2001 4 years of no playoffs, lost 1st round 2002, then 5 years of no playoffs before they went on tear 2009 onwards, almost 10 years of drafting & developing with some nhl draft lotto luck in 2007.

2001 Ruutu eventual->Ladd trade, 2002 Keith, 2003 Seabrook, Crawford, Byfuglien, 2004 Bolland, Bickell, Brouwer, 2005 Hjalmarsson, 2006 TOEWS, 2007 Patrick KANE, 2008 nada.

Benning is 4 years into the rebuild and imo the prospects are looking great, doing really well in their respective leagues.
It's funny when you mentioned the Blackhawks. They are pretty much like 2013-14 Canucks, needing a rebuild very soon.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:47 am Must be a mass suicide in progress over the Canucks HFBoards, lol.
YUP!!!

Lol I just spent the better part of two hours over there...

Some have already announced they're done as Canuck fans (including Pauser, remember him?) :)

Many others are threatening to jump. Image

At least my old pal Eddy Punch Clock still has his AWESOME sense of humour.

I could see very clearly that MS and Tant are leading the kids deeper and deeper into the pit of despair.

Child abuse!!! :evil:

But get this, Tant finally paid up on that limerick he's owed me for 10 years!

Well he stole it, but hey it was good!

OMG it's gloomy over there, but I noticed a group of kids now standing up to their overlords.

And even better, they have realized... and are pointing out... that not all of Canuckdom is pessimistic about GMJB/the future.

Nice to see the meltdowns, still reeks like a sewer though.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm Was Ronning's Ghost floating around the press conference?

"Yeah, so um, Trevor & Jim, when are you gonna be good exactly? 1 year? 2 years?"

"Sorry RG, we can't really say when. But we'll see what happens next year. We might have 6 or 7 guys signed and they'll be here if they're ready like Stetcher or Brock. If not, they'll develop in the AHL. But we like our prospects, we think we have some of the best in the league and we're excited. We hope it's sooner rather than later, but we'll see."

"Just tell me when, DAMNIT!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:44 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:47 am Must be a mass suicide in progress over the Canucks HFBoards, lol.
YUP!!!

Lol I just spent the better part of two hours over there...

Some have already announced they're done as Canuck fans (including Pauser, remember him?) :)

Many others are threatening to jump. Image

At least my old pal Eddy Punch Clock still has his AWESOME sense of humour.

I could see very clearly that MS and Tant are leading the kids deeper and deeper into the pit of despair.

Child abuse!!! :evil:

But get this, Tant finally paid up on that limerick he's owed me for 10 years!

Well he stole it, but hey it was good!

OMG it's gloomy over there, but I noticed a group of kids now standing up to their overlords.

And even better, they have realized... and are pointing out... that not all of Canuckdom is pessimistic about GMJB/the future.

Nice to see the meltdowns, still reeks like a sewer though.
Gesus what happened to tantalum ?

MS and Pauser were always shitty posters that I enjoyed ripping apart. Tantalum was a good poster who went full piss pants. What a shame he’s better than that
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:23 am It’s smart not letting him (JB) approach the deadline with no deal.Now do the right thing and deal Gudbranson and Vanek and maybe even another player or two. Anything less than nine or ten picks in this draft is a failure.
True dat. I was a bit afraid that JB might be a lame duck GM with no deal going into TDD, so he might not act in the best interest of the franchise. I always knew Nonis was loyal to the franchise and would act accordingly (even if it meant potentially losing his job), but I'm not sure about JB yet. Hopefully he gets a good pick/prospect for Vanek and maybe deal Guddy if he has to.

Overall, I'm glad JB is staying for another 3 years. He made some mistakes, which are well documented. The Loui deal he might get a pass on because as some of us have speculated here, it may have been pushed on him by ownership. Gotta luv JBs work in drafting though. Yes, he passed on some great players, but he made up for it by finding some good players in mid-later rounds. Hopefully we win the lottery for once, maybe acquire up some picks @ TDD and JB makes out like a bandit again with a strong 2018 draft.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So it seems that Sekeres and Price are as suicidal as Halford, Brough, Patterson and Botchford over Bennings contract extension, LOL. Love it!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Pierre LeBrun says all the GMs around league are very impressed with the Canucks prospect pool. Yet there are idiots in our neck of the woods jumping off bridges over Benning get extended. Go figure
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Tant was one of those guys who spoke in motherhood posts. Nice guy, but shy on details while following lead of the local press. He and Spud fought me so hard on stumpy it was hilarious. He took it all way too personally.

A board where grandly restating the BS spew of the local hacks suits him well.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, you can just see it in their little media faces. All the smugness gone.

They look shell-shocked, like all their "work" over the years... invalidated and flushed down the toilet.

Love it! Love the meltdown in the interweb forums and in the sports comment sections.

Even the experts who called this management the worse of all 30 teams, now are saying it was a good re-signing.

Now they're saying how tough of a job it was with the cupboard bare AND having to rid NMCs and large contracts from the previous regime before he could put his own stamp on the team. Not to mention the owner's mandate to improve while being competitive.

Worse thing that could have happen to this team was getting 101 pts out of Torts' stale team minus Kesler. Followed by losing the lottery twice in a row.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hank wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:43 pm Yeah, you can just see it in their little media faces. All the smugness gone.

They look shell-shocked, like all their "work" over the years... invalidated and flushed down the toilet.

Love it! Love the meltdown in the interweb forums and in the sports comment sections.

Even the experts who called this management the worse of all 30 teams, now are saying it was a good re-signing.

Now they're saying how tough of a job it was with the cupboard bare AND having to rid NMCs and large contracts from the previous regime before he could put his own stamp on the team. Not to mention the owner's mandate to improve while being competitive.

Worse thing that could have happen to this team was getting 101 pts out of Torts' stale team minus Kesler. Followed by losing the lottery twice in a row.
What I miss is balanced discussion. With the Elmer lovers they refuse to admit Elmer has even tied one of his shoes the wrong way. It’s made for a cesspool of shit for people to read. When posters jump up and down and say the Eriksson signing and Sutter trades were awesome and refuse to budge it’s like trying to lead a retarded horse to water and make him drink
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It would also be nice for the Elmer pipe lickers to also say he might have shit the bed with two of his top 6 draft picks.