Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Mickey107 »

Lancer wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am I guess Brian Burke got in his last parting shot at Vancouver. He pissed and cried so much to move the young stars tournament to Red Deer and now the Flames won’t participate. Not sure why the Coilers aren’t going. Kind of a shitty tournament now though.
The Penticton Tournament sched is up, and it's Winnipeg vs Vancouver twice with UBC going against U of A twice. No Flamers; No Coilers. Sad that the Alberta teams decided their tantrums were more important. Was fun while it lasted.
Maybe Calgary & Edmonton are actually running low on young stars. :lol:
"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Albertans are a bunch a cunts, big surprise there.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

So, deprive their young kids of some early season hockey with young kids from other teams because???? Pouting? Brian Burke syndrome?
How bloody ridiculous.... :? :? :?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

The tourney has been held in BC for years. I think all Burke was getting at was he wanted a small community in Alberta to enjoy the festivities as well.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BladesofSteel wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:35 am The tourney has been held in BC for years. I think all Burke was getting at was he wanted a small community in Alberta to enjoy the festivities as well.
Fine then promote somewhere nice, not Red Deer. May as well host it in Fort Mac or Yellowknife. Penticton is far nicer and has a lot more to do than Dead Deer. What about Banff or Canmore? I’m unsure of the rink sizes there however.

I think Burke is a fat cunt that hates this province, this city and this team.

I like how CBC made him dress like an adult before letting him bump his gums though. Tie your tie Fatso. The guy honestly looks like hell. Who has he been partying with? Nick Nolte and Gary Busey?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Lawrence Gilman was talking about this on 1040 yesterday. He mentioned that the Canucks modelled Young-Stars after a Phoenix/California tournament. The difference being that that tournament rotated the venue. Why don't they simply do that for Young Stars? Rotate it between Penticton, Red Deer, and say Brandon (maybe even somewhere in Saskatchewan?). Each year one of provinces gets the cheaper travel and an opportunity for their fan base to see the young guys.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The university teams will be a challenge. You know every guy on those teams is going to want to show up/smash up some hot, highly rated NHL prospect. They could be nasty games. But good shooters should dominate.

It makes sense to rotate the tourney but it’s the way Baby Burke moaned about it that nixed the idea. Calgary and Edmonton can start their own tourney in Red Deer and invite U of Calgary and U of Edmonton.

And......soon we’ll have Seattle to invite.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Penticton is home of the Okanogan Hockey Academy. It is far more than just an ice sheet.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:19 pm The university teams will be a challenge. You know every guy on those teams is going to want to show up/smash up some hot, highly rated NHL prospect. They could be nasty games. But good shooters should dominate.

It makes sense to rotate the tourney but it’s the way Baby Burke moaned about it that nixed the idea. Calgary and Edmonton can start their own tourney in Red Deer and invite U of Calgary and U of Edmonton.

Canucks will only play Winnipeg 2 games & the University teams play each other 2 games..
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:42 am I like how CBC made him dress like an adult before letting him bump his gums though. Tie your tie Fatso. The guy honestly looks like hell. Who has he been partying with? Nick Nolte and Gary Busey?
I actually laughed out loud when I saw him wearing that tie! :lol:

And I had pretty much all the same thoughts that you expressed so eloquently here. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

TDA Rum wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:52 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:19 pm The university teams will be a challenge. You know every guy on those teams is going to want to show up/smash up some hot, highly rated NHL prospect. They could be nasty games. But good shooters should dominate.

Canucks will only play Winnipeg 2 games & the University teams play each other 2 games..
Uhhh. I did read that and it went over my head the first time. But makes sense. Having the Academy there also makes sense. The tourney is about evaluation: what do players need to work on; how have they improved; do they get a camp invite; where do they play the up coming season; do they get a contract or PTO.

It’s not really about playing the games. Heck after the Jake hit on McJesus the Oilers pulled him the rest of the tourney.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:21 pm Penticton is home of the Okanogan Hockey Academy. It is far more than just an ice sheet.
Exactly
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

To clarify, the Comets signed Jagger Dirk and Tanner MacMaster.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Sam Gagner #2C

Post by SKYO »

I think I'd plan on giving Sam Gagner 2nd line center duties for the early 2018/19 season, as we are a rebuilding team, use what we got, don't overspend on a Bozak for example, and hey even Erik Haula of the Knights at 27 yrs old his hightest pt total was 34pts before he exploded with VK, not saying Gagner is going to do the same, but all we need is a veteran passer center on the cheap for now. He's averaged 28 assists a season, that's decent enough for a rebuilding a team right now, he's worked best with Virtanen and Baertschi/Goldy. https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/gagne ... c-56199603

#1C Horvat
#2C Gagner

Placeholder SG until Gaudette and Pettersson are ready for more ice time, could very well be early 2019.

I'm of the opinion we save our cap space, acquire more picks, so the team is ready to pounce on a team having cap troubles to acquire a young talented player a cap strapped team can't re-sign.

To reiterate:
- rebuilding team
- don't need expensive UFA center at this point unless it's Tavares ha-ha
- vet center Gagner shown he can make plays
- just a placeholder until Gaudette and Pettersson can play more minutes TOI.
- save precious cap space
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.