Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:34 pm

I think it’s funny that you get so irate at the local media
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:03 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:34 pm
Listen Forehead (Jean Luc Picard) just because you got a forehead that stretches to the base of your skull there's no need to get angry at those getting angry at those for getting angry at Green for getting angry at Hutton
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Regarding Hutton, you wonder if there are off ice issues at play. I haven't heard anything so I'm just speculating. It has to be more than his on ice play. Stetcher and Pouliot have both had there share of brain farts and you can't get them out of the line up.
The only HW the Canucks need

bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Just heard he might be a bit of partier, don't know how accurate it is. But it could explain why he is struggling.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:23 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:03 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:34 pm
Listen Forehead (Jean Luc Picard) just because you got a forehead that stretches to the base of your skull there's no need to get angry at those getting angry at those for getting angry at Green for getting angry at Hutton
Do you still wear mesh tank tops and a speedo to the beach to show off your back hair and your shitbag ?

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:24 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:13 pm
Regarding Hutton, you wonder if there are off ice issues at play. I haven't heard anything so I'm just speculating. It has to be more than his on ice play. Stetcher and Pouliot have both had there share of brain farts and you can't get them out of the line up.
His dedication to peak conditioning, commitment to his profession, or lack thereof is coming under fire by coach green. Green thinks he doesn't play hard enough, to easy on his checks. Smiley Hutton is going the way of fellow smiler - Curtis Lazar. Who the Fuck smiles in hockey all the time? There's no smiling in hockey
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:41 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:24 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:13 pm
His dedication to peak conditioning, commitment to his profession, or lack thereof is coming under fire by coach green. Green thinks he doesn't play hard enough, to easy on his checks. Smiley Hutton is going the way of fellow smiler - Curtis Lazar. Who the Fuck smiles in hockey all the time? There's no smiling in hockey
Opposition players don't like smileys. Remember Lappy? They didn't like him. :cry:
I wouldn't question life style unless I knew something for sure.
I feel safe in saying, the young man definitely has an identity problem and that he is burring himself pretty deep.
It's a dirty rotten shame, it is!
"evolution"

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:46 pm

Elliot Friedman speculating that the Canucks will target a UFA, likely defence, and offer big big money, as long as the term is short. Speculating the target is Carlson and they could offer $10 mil per, three year max. The thinking is that they need a placeholder while their young D develop and that a 3 year deal leaves Carlson still young enough to get one more contract before he retires.

I'd rather they offer Tavares one year at $12-14 million, then resign him in January to an 8 year deal in the 8 million range.

Benning apparently very gun shy now about UFA contracts over the 3-4 year mark. And he should be. Unless you are landing a real big fish stay away.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:03 pm

It's an astute move if you can land one of those top tier UFA's w/o term, but with huge cash, Tavares or Carlson are the big fish, both would be great - I know you love some Tavares there HW but the biggest need for this team is Carlson, he's the type of dman that's been missing from this defense ever since Hoffer left....even if you do win the draft lotto, JC is still a great need to help transition this young team the next while & because it would be a shorter term, his contract will expire when Pettersson etc will need a new contract.

Plus you can move Tanev out for a few picks when/if you sign Carlson.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:46 pm
Elliot Friedman speculating that the Canucks will target a UFA, likely defence, and offer big big money, as long as the term is short. Speculating the target is Carlson and they could offer $10 mil per, three year max. The thinking is that they need a placeholder while their young D develop and that a 3 year deal leaves Carlson still young enough to get one more contract before he retires.

I'd rather they offer Tavares one year at $12-14 million, then resign him in January to an 8 year deal in the 8 million range.

Benning apparently very gun shy now about UFA contracts over the 3-4 year mark. And he should be. Unless you are landing a real big fish stay away.
Tavares is a REAL big fish. I wouldn't be gun shy on him. :P

Carlson is 28, I would offer him $7.5Mx7. He's gonna get paid, but any GM worth his salt is going to tell his agent that his stats alone aren't enough based on the fact that he's been playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

The UFA market probably dictates he gets $8.5M though because GM's are crazy in July. Benning would be right to be Gun shy here.

I don't think Benning can do anything big though without moving Eriksson's cap hit out. If he's going after Tavares, then look at moving out Sutter as well.

If the cap goes up to $78M then we will have $26.2M of space come July.

Move out Gagner and Eriksson. There's an extra $9.1M of cap space giving us $35.3M. Go $10Mx7 for Tavares. $10Mx3 for Carlson. $7Mx7 for Kane. Fill out the roster with the remaining $9M.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:

It's not rocket science, Boeser in all likelihood is going to hit pay dirt, same goes for Pettersson, the 2018 1st and maybe Juolevi etc. Need to keep the books clean for a bit, see where this team is at when this next core has hit prime. Tavares is not going west, especially to a team not quite there yet, so people need to get that one out of their heads, Ray Ferraro said today that he thinks the American Carlson does not want to play in Canada, Ray also went on about how he'd very leary of giving Carlson a big contract, I agree. Karlsson or Kane, I could see short term, big 'per year' deals?

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:38 pm

bckev wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:21 pm
Just heard he might be a bit of partier, don't know how accurate it is. But it could explain why he is struggling.
Hopefully that rumour wasn't started here...
Strangelove wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:53 pm
Topper wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:28 pm
He also had some less than flattering things to say about Hutton....the veiled...."things I don't discuss publicly"
I get the distinct impression ole Smiley is some kind of a party boy.
Speculation from guys like Friedman and yours truly tends to snowball into rumours due to our many, many fans (hi MS). :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:

The top end guys will sign 7 year deals.

It’s their chance to hit a home run

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Meds wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:24 pm
If the cap goes up to $78M then we will have $26.2M of space come July.

Move out Gagner and Eriksson. There's an extra $9.1M of cap space giving us $35.3M. Go $10Mx7 for Tavares. $10Mx3 for Carlson. $7Mx7 for Kane. Fill out the roster with the remaining $9M.
You're the Skyo of UFAs! :shock:

Lol three-quarters of the fans want to go big on UFAs and three-quarters don't want any.

(that's right, some of them are conflicted) :)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:40 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:

The top end guys will sign 7 year deals.

It’s their chance to hit a home run

Agreed Blob. The one caveat is if teams aren’t biting at the big bucks big term. Franson comes to mind. Not equating him with these guys other than he thought he was worth a lot more than other GMs did. Tavares will get his money and term. Carlsson maybe not both so he maybe someone you can snag at 10 x 3.