Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Chef Boi RD »

^^^^Heeeeeerrrrrre's Johnny!"^^^

Great signing hey Blobbee?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:18 pm ^^^^Heeeeeerrrrrre's Johnny!"^^^

Great signing hey Blobbee?
It’s Elmers fourth worst signing so for him not bad. An overpayment for a 5 at best but the team has zero pushback so that’s what you get. At least there is no ntc and he looks passable with Edler to hold his hand. Still not a top 4 on a good team. But hey some tards on this board threw out 5-6 annually so I guess Uncle Jim got himself a bunt single or a chink hit
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:32 pm some tards strawmen on this board threw out 5-6 annually
Ooooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell
Ooooh that smell...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 pm So let's assume they re-sign Gudbranson. Now Guddy, Tanev, Stecher on the right side long term. Biega is the extra, short-term only.

Left side is Edler (not moving, even if we want him to as he's made that clear), MDZ. Juolevi coming next year and will play some NHL games even if he's in the AHL for a while first. Hutton the extra. Pouliot plays both sides.

So now we've got the worst d corps in the NHL locked up for another year at least, perhaps longer if they re-sign Edler, Stecher (almost surely will be done this summer), Pouliot (who knows). They can't score, and they are challenged at defending.

Where does the improvement come from? I will be shocked if they trade Tanev, so how does this D get better? It's a tire fire at the moment, no clue why you would want to keep this group together.
Yeah, I can’t think of a team with a worse defence in the NHL. And there is noting coming up through the pipeline other than Juolevi to improve it long term.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:02 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 pm So let's assume they re-sign Gudbranson. Now Guddy, Tanev, Stecher on the right side long term. Biega is the extra, short-term only.

Left side is Edler (not moving, even if we want him to as he's made that clear), MDZ. Juolevi coming next year and will play some NHL games even if he's in the AHL for a while first. Hutton the extra. Pouliot plays both sides.

So now we've got the worst d corps in the NHL locked up for another year at least, perhaps longer if they re-sign Edler, Stecher (almost surely will be done this summer), Pouliot (who knows). They can't score, and they are challenged at defending.

Where does the improvement come from? I will be shocked if they trade Tanev, so how does this D get better? It's a tire fire at the moment, no clue why you would want to keep this group together.
"worst d corps in the NHL" - Holy Hyperbole Batman! :shock:

Edler + Tanev are solid.

"how does this D get better?"

- This dee group gets better if/when some of the young guys take the next step.

Stecher is 23, Hutton is 24, Pouliot is 24

.... even The Guds might improve, 26 and has been either injured or recovering from injury since he got here.

Young guys in the system could step up (Juolevi is not the only one).

Tryamkin will be back.

And "this D gets better" with more luck in the Injury Department.

If worse comes to worst we trade forwards for defensemen.

Or sign a UFA or two at some point, try to relax good buddy! :thumbs:

It's called a rebuild...
Which team has a worse D corps?
Islanders, Rangers, Canadiens, Coyotes, Wings, Sabres, Hawks, Capitals…

At least according to the geeks: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/r ... l.2451049/

Canucks didn't even come up in the conversation!

Hey, I'm not a big fan of fancy stats, but it's not like we can eye-test all 31 teams...
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm Im not sure a 26 year old in his 7th season is still improving.
As I say, this season and last have been ruined by injuries for The Guds.

And when 'relatively healthy' he's been saddled with the likes of MDZ, Pouliot, and Hutton until lately.

(crappy partners according to YOU)

EG, like many dmen, needs the right partner in order to shine.

Maybe that's Edler, maybe that's Juolevi... but Gudbranson might improve if healthy and in a better spot.

He has proven in the 2 previous seasons that he can handle Top 4 minutes...
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm 24 year old Hutton isn’t playing so not sure how he’s getting better. Pouliot plays one game like a house on fire and the next like an ECHL player - at 24 you’d hope he wouldn’t still be making the same mistakes over and over. Stecher I like, he’s a solid player but likely has a top end of a #4/5 guy. Need more than just him. Juolevi I figure has a ceiling of a #2 guy which is great, but again need more than just him.
Like I said, who knows if one or two of those guys "takes the next step" next season...
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm As for injuries - Tanev is 28 and in his 5th full NHL season. He’s played 70 games once, in the 60’s twice, 53 last year and is on pace for about the same this year. After 5 seasons it’s not a fluke, it’s a trend. I like his play but he’s losing value getting injured, and he’s getting closer to FA when they will get nothing for him. Edler always misses games too, he’s played one full season in his 10 year career. Gudbranson had a wrist issue that seems to be fixed now. Stecher missed a few games as well. The rest have been relatively healthy so not sure this excuse holds water, regardless of Linden whining about it.
You start that paragraph talking about how our Top 4 have been wracked with injuries

... and conclude by saying injuries are not an excuse! :lol:

As I said... this D corps gets better with more luck in the Injury Department.

You asked me how it could get better, that was one of my answers.

You seem to think it's impossible to have more luck in the Injury Department... wanna bet? :mex:
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm Lastly, regarding the rebuild - I have been all in for 3 seasons on a rebuild. Wish somebody would tell Linden and Benning so they would stop trading picks (11 out, 9 in since they’ve been here)
Not sure about your numbers there but...

Each team receives 7 picks per draft and Canucks have picked 28 times in Jimbro's 4 drafts = 7 picks per draft average.

Don't forget he has signed young college players and traded vets for for young prospects as well.
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm ... let the kids play.

It’s not like they are winning, being ‘competitive’ or anything even close to it in Benning’s time...
During his Valentines Day extension presser Lord Benning said:

"Our guys have worked hard, been competitive."

So I think he's running with a different definition of the word ‘competitive’ than you. :P

The reasons for bringing in the vets you mention has been discussed many times.

(mentor-ship, place-holding)

You seem to be promoting what is known as "rushing the kids".

Lord Benning is WAY too smart for that bro!

Patience is key...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jesus is the 11 out and nine in including the gift pick from Columbus? The mouth breathers consider that a coup for Elmer
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 pm
I'm not convinced it's all luck. It's part of why I'd like to see Tanev traded for equivalent value in a developing dman. He's quite good at his craft, in a quiet, understated way, but just too fragile for the NHL, and a rapidly diminishing asset as a result.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Vancouver will hold the 2019 NHL draft & same season will host the 2018/19 world junior championships. :o

Be cool to get another 1st in 2019.

Also if we draft Boqvist we most definitely will be able to see him with team Sweden in the junior championships.
:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:13 pm Vancouver will hold the 2019 NHL draft & same season will host the 2018/19 world junior championships. :o

Also if we draft Boqvist we most definitely will be able to see him with team Sweden in the junior championships.
Hoping to get a top five pick again in 2019. Don’t see a playoff team with this crew for a while yet so that should be achievable. Pick up another high end prospect this year and a top 5 first next year and have four or five kids in the tourney hopefully. Maybe have two firsts if you can deal Tanev. Spend to within 6 or 7 million of the cap next year leaving room for a cap dump packaged up with a good pick/prospect(s). And for fuck sakes stop signing your own cap dumps Elmer. :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

3 WHL'ers to keep an eye on for the 2019 Draft - Krebs, Byram, Couzens. All 3 top 5/top 10 protential. American Jack Hughes looks like the runaway 1st overall pick
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:13 pm Vancouver will hold the 2019 NHL draft & same season will host the 2018/19 world junior championships. :o

Hoping to get a top five pick again in 2019. Don’t see a playoff team with this crew for a while yet so that should be achievable. Pick up another high end prospect this year and a top 5 first next year and have four or five kids in the tourney hopefully. Maybe have two firsts if you can deal Tanev. Spend to within 6 or 7 million of the cap next year leaving room for a cap dump packaged up with a good pick/prospect(s). And for fuck sakes stop signing your own cap dumps Elmer. :lol:
So keep finishing in the bottom 5 every year...might as well just keep stock piling prospects, maybe in 5 more years we can hope the team makes the playoffs. But then people will be bitching about not tanking and missing out on a lottery pick.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not sure what the complaint is Vic. The team has been a fire fire since 2013, with one mirage playoff season where absolutely every bounce went their way. Two management teams have pissed away picks for quick fixes and this is why the current product is unwatchable and the system still needs more depth. I’m optimistically thinking maybe playoffs in 2020-21... not sure. But by that point they should have a good chunk of organizational depth at all positions if management stops taking shortcuts.

Try to focus on 3-4 years from now
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:02 pm

"worst d corps in the NHL" - Holy Hyperbole Batman! :shock:

Edler + Tanev are solid.

"how does this D get better?"

- This dee group gets better if/when some of the young guys take the next step.

Stecher is 23, Hutton is 24, Pouliot is 24

.... even The Guds might improve, 26 and has been either injured or recovering from injury since he got here.

Young guys in the system could step up (Juolevi is not the only one).

Tryamkin will be back.

If worse comes to worst we trade forwards for defensemen.

Or sign a UFA or two at some point, try to relax good buddy! :thumbs:

It's called a rebuild...
Which team has a worse D corps?
Islanders, Rangers, Canadiens, Coyotes, Wings, Sabres, Hawks, Capitals…

At least according to the geeks: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/r ... l.2451049/

Canucks didn't even come up in the conversation!

Hey, I'm not a big fan of fancy stats, but it's not like we can eye-test all 31 teams...
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm Im not sure a 26 year old in his 7th season is still improving.
As I say, this season and last have been ruined by injuries for The Guds.

And when 'relatively healthy' he's been saddled with the likes of MDZ, Pouliot, and Hutton until lately.

(crappy partners according to YOU)

EG, like many dmen, needs the right partner in order to shine.

Maybe that's Edler, maybe that's Juolevi... but Gudbranson might improve if healthy and in a better spot.

He has proven in the 2 previous seasons that he can handle Top 4 minutes...
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm 24 year old Hutton isn’t playing so not sure how he’s getting better. Pouliot plays one game like a house on fire and the next like an ECHL player - at 24 you’d hope he wouldn’t still be making the same mistakes over and over. Stecher I like, he’s a solid player but likely has a top end of a #4/5 guy. Need more than just him. Juolevi I figure has a ceiling of a #2 guy which is great, but again need more than just him.
Like I said, who knows if one or two of those guys "takes the next step" next season...
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm As for injuries - Tanev is 28 and in his 5th full NHL season. He’s played 70 games once, in the 60’s twice, 53 last year and is on pace for about the same this year. After 5 seasons it’s not a fluke, it’s a trend. I like his play but he’s losing value getting injured, and he’s getting closer to FA when they will get nothing for him. Edler always misses games too, he’s played one full season in his 10 year career. Gudbranson had a wrist issue that seems to be fixed now. Stecher missed a few games as well. The rest have been relatively healthy so not sure this excuse holds water, regardless of Linden whining about it.
You start that paragraph talking about how our Top 4 have been wracked with injuries

... and conclude by saying injuries are not an excuse! :lol:

As I said... this D corps gets better with more luck in the Injury Department.

You asked me how it could get better, that was one of my answers.

You seem to think it's impossible to have more luck in the Injury Department... wanna bet? :mex:
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm Lastly, regarding the rebuild - I have been all in for 3 seasons on a rebuild. Wish somebody would tell Linden and Benning so they would stop trading picks (11 out, 9 in since they’ve been here)
Not sure about your numbers there but...

Each team receives 7 picks per draft and Canucks have picked 28 times in Jimbro's 4 drafts = 7 picks per draft average.

Don't forget he has signed young college players and traded vets for for young prospects as well.
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm ... let the kids play.

It’s not like they are winning, being ‘competitive’ or anything even close to it in Benning’s time...
During his Valentines Day extension presser Lord Benning said:

"Our guys have worked hard, been competitive."

So I think he's running with a different definition of the word ‘competitive’ than you. :P

The reasons for bringing in the vets you mention has been discussed many times.

(mentor-ship, place-holding)

You seem to be promoting what is known as "rushing the kids".

Lord Benning is WAY too smart for that bro!

Patience is key...
Don’t have a ton of time but I will respond to a few points:

- great that Guddy’s partners make him worse, even though to a man they’ve all been better without him on the ice. Check the fancy stats!

- where did I say top 4 was ‘wracked’ with injuries? Tanev has missed games sure, but he does that every year. Edler too. Stecher missed a few weeks with a minor knee injury. Guddy the same with his wrist, but he’s not one of the top 4 in my books, that’s MDZ who plays an average 3 minutes more per game and has played all of them. Edler, Tanev, MDZ and any given game can be Stecher, Guddy, Pouliot as #4 depending on how the game is going.

- those draft pick numbers are correct, Benning has traded 11 and brought back 9 since he’s been GM. Not good for a rebuilding team that needs extra assets in the worst way.

- what is being competitive if you lose more than anybody save the Coyotes, who seem to actually be trying to suck. How has anything in the past 3 years been competitive? It floors me to think someone could say this with a straight face.

- I have zero interest in rushing the kids, they can play in junior, Utica, Sweden, etc until they are ready. What I have a keen interest in is asset management. Not trading 3 assets for Guddy, don’t throw away picks or prospects on guys like Clendening, Larsen, Etem, Sutter, Prust, Vey, Pedan. Even the Baertschi deal which everyone seems to think is a home run for Jimbo brought the Flamers Rasmus Andersson, a big, RH dman who is tearing up the AHL and would look great on our blue line. Trade guys like Vanek, Guddy (can’t now obviously), Hamhuis, Vrbata, and whoever else won’t be around in 2-3 years for assets we can actually use. The ‘remain competitive’ and ‘leadership and culture’ team Jimbo has tried to build has failed miserably. These kids are playing in an environment that almost couldn’t possibly lose anymore, so look at what you’re doing, realize where you have failed and change it.

Again, we will see what they do at the deadline as last year was a solid start. Hopefully more of the same this year.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Perhaps having the draft in their own backyard will convince them to stop trading picks and actually pick up a few. Hasn’t happened to date but hopefully they’ll want the good press for a draft in their own barn.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benning Trade Tracker

- Kesler/3rd - Sbisa/Bonino/1st/3rd - Good
- Garrison/Costello/7th for a 2nd - Excellent
- a 2nd for Vey - Not good
- A 3rd for Dorsett - Excellent
- 3rd/Mallet for Pedan - Even
- Forsling for Clendenning - Not Good
- 2nd for Baertschi - Excellent
- Lack for 3rd/7th - Excellent
- Bieksa for a 2nd - Excellent
- Kassian/5th for Prust - Even
- Bonino/Clendenning/2nd for Sutter/3rd - Good
- Jensen/6th for Etem - Even
- Shinkaruk for Granlund - Excellent
- Larsson for a 5th - Not Good
- McCann/2nd/4th for Guds/5th - Even
- Burrows for Dahlen - Excellent
- Hansen for Goldobin/4th - Excellent
- Pouliot for Pedan/4th - Good
- Subban for Dowd - Good

Excellent - 8
Good - 4
Even - 4
Not Good - 3