Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Cornuck »

Link to signing: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... -296149020

I can live with this one, less injuries (hopefully) will make this a good signing over the next 3 years.

Blobby - how much did we overpay?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:41 am Pretty affordable and low risk term for Gudbranson - 3 years - $4M per.
Bob McKenzie:

Gudbranson will get $4.4M next season, $4.6M the season after that and $3M in the third and final year of the deal, for an AAV of $4M.

This contract does NOT include a NTC of any kind
Great signing for both parties. Of course, Ferraro can always find a tough NHL player for $800k. :mrgreen:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

3 years $12 million No NTC is fair.

I just love the moaners ignoring the intangibles "Don't Matter!"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Not terrible. Bhutt is getting $2.8 million for being scratched.

I hope JB is now actively looking at teams wanting Tanev. He's our best chip. Too bad he's out another 3-4 weeks with the leg injury.

It would be difficult to move Edler, but now it doesn't make much sense with the Guddy signing.

The interwebz are going apeshit in 3...2...1. Can't wait for the Bitchford articles and Pat-casts.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hank wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 am The interwebz are going apeshit in 3...2...1. Can't wait for the Bitchford articles and Pat-casts.
The nerds are already in full force :mrgreen:
Daniel Wagner‏ @passittobulis
The worst part of the Gudbranson contract is that it's just reasonable enough that some fans will treat it as a win. #Canucks

Dimitri Filipovic‏@DimFilipovic
This Gudbranson stuff is legitimately insane.
On the one hand we're now coming up on 400 games of his team being noticeably worse whenever he's on the ice.
On the other hand you have to keep in mind that he's also really tall and people thought he'd be good 8 years ago

Jason Botchford‏@botchford
Presuming the Canucks will have to trade vanek now. They can’t come out of this week with nothing for the future

Dimitri Filipovic‏@DimFilipovic
For someone whose speciality is the draft Jim Benning sure hates drafting
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

This is a very reasonable contract with no trade protection. Hard to find fault. Except if Gudbranson lives up to expectations and we have to re-sign in him three years to a monster contract, then people will bitch that we should have locked him up longer :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now with him re-signed and Tanev out at least 3-4 weeks we really don't have much to trade this year that will bring us back much.

A Tanev trade, if there is one, will need to be an off season move.
Gudbranson is now under contract for 3 years with no trade protection making him tradeable in the off season too, or any time really.
Hutton and Del Zotto seem to be our biggest trade pieces on the back end. Neither will bring back much.

Up front only Vanek seems to be on the block.

Yep, a slow TDD for us for sure.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Media is there to sell clicks basically, that's their job - the villains.

Glad the Canucks management don't give a shit what the media thinks and are doing their jobs - the hero's.

Gudbranson when 100% is a beast and he's finally getting his confidence back and comfortable in the system/teammates/coach.

Seems more likely Tanev is staying put till at least after the season is done, I'd be shocked if a team trades for him within by the trade deadline while he's recovering from his injury.

Hutton is probably dealt, seems the most obvious by now, Green just doesn't like his play or attitude or whatever, TG prefers the other dmen over him big time.

So Hutton and Vanek are the big trade bait, maybe one of the goalies if they get a 3rd+.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 am Link to signing: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... -296149020

I can live with this one, less injuries (hopefully) will make this a good signing over the next 3 years.

Blobby - how much did we overpay?
He’s 6th in ice time on the leagues shittiest defence. With his shiny new contract he will be in the top 90 for defenceman cap hit. There are 31 teams. Let that sink in.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I should add that if a team has a hard on for Tanev, he will be back for a late season push and playoff run and is under contract past this season. He won't be available to help a team perhaps until the end of March but he could return at a great time for that late season run. Still a possibility he could be moved mostly due to his contract status. But the odds are lower he gets moved now.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Decent term, liveable cap hit, no NTC... I can live with this. He brings things to the table that nobody else on the blueline brings, and I still believe we haven't seen the best Gudbranson has to offer.

Still leaves the team with a log-jam on defense. I daresay Hutton is the most likely to be traded. Other than shooting right instead of left, Stetcher has become what folks hoped Hutton would be. There may be an outside chance of Tanev or Edler going, though. Something's got to give.

I don't get Botchford's tweet though. Just because they signed Gudbranson doesn't mean they have to trade Vanek. I wager Benning will make trades for picks, but just because they signed Gudbranson doesn't mean Benning won't make trades in a couple of days.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:35 am I don't get Botchford's tweet though. Just because they signed Gudbranson doesn't mean they have to trade Vanek. I wager Benning will make trades for picks, but just because they signed Gudbranson doesn't mean Benning won't make trades in a couple of days.
Botchford and the rest of the nerds believe that the Canucks should get picks for all the veterans on the team every single trading deadline. Failing to do is not acceptable by their standard. :lol:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well Bitchford is implying that Benning has blown his chance at another TDD and an opportunity to secure more picks. That's his point. He is firmly planted in the idea that we must trade everyone and get more picks and prospects. He's not necessarily wrong but he's not necessarily right either. Just his opinion.

And if we do make trades you can bet he won't be happy either. Vanek, lucky if we get a third so Bitchford will complain about that. He seems to believe that trades are easy to make and the returns will be fantastic. Anything short of a lot of trades for homeruns and Benning is a loser. Cause you know it's easy really.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:23 am This is a very reasonable contract with no trade protection. Hard to find fault. Except if Gudbranson lives up to expectations and we have to re-sign in him three years to a monster contract, then people will bitch that we should have locked him up longer :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yup and as Blob and IN keep stating, the kids need some protection.

It's fair to say that The Guds is fully healthy for the first time since he got here

... and HEY notice how good he has looked out there lately.

Even if one of the tards were to say he only deserves minimum NHL wages

... well HEY Canucks will have oodles of cap space for the next 3 years.

As Blob and IN keep stating, the kids need some protection.

The Guds has been hampered by injuries since he got here.

And he has been saddled with MDZ, Hutton, and Pouliot since he got here

... but HEY he sure looks good with Edler!

I am confident that this will turn out to be a fantastic deal for my Vancouver Canucks.

Jimbro does it again... gotta love that guy!!! :mex:

And people, please, Jimbro is NOT going to trade 28-year-young Tanev

... Mr Juolevi is going to be needing him as a partner/mentor.

Trade one or both of MDZ/Hutton.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 am 3 years $12 million No NTC is fair.

I just love the moaners ignoring the intangibles "Don't Matter!"
Yeah. Nobody should be pissing in the wind about this. That’s a really good extension for Gudbranson. The only way it comes off as a question mark is if he gets hurt routinely and only plays for half of the term.

Benning did very well on this one.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/02/20/come ... lamazoo-2/

Apparently Richard Bachman has been called up to the big club. Maybe a deal for Nilsson or Markstrom is in the offing?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.