Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by SKYO »

Ya see fellow elders, there is this thing called left side defense and right side...ah nvm.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

SKYO wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Skyo it's a fact of life.... GMs and coaches get fired every day. Gillis benefitted from the Cheesebugular who benefitted from Burke who benefitted from Iron Mike and Padraig. Nobody benefitted from Jack Gordon the superboss except the Bruins.
There is this thing called stability that this team hasn't had in awhile, a thousand coaches and GM's have come and gone lately with the Aquabro's Canucks OWNERs/Billionaires WIN NOW mindset, and JB stepped into a team filled with Gillis NTC filled team and Gillis just re-signed the slowing down Sedins to multi-year contract months before he himself got let go.

Do you care for stability or do you want to keep changing GM's?

You've mentioned other GM's and one of them is the brilliant David Poile, correct? when he first started with the expansion Predators in 1998 the Preds missed the playoffs 5 years straight, a full rebuild from the start. You also said "stability is earned, not given"....

So Preds from 1998 onwards - 63, 70, 80, 69, 74 points each season....Blob would have been all over David Poile to get canned those 5 years if he was a Predator fan lol.

So lets break it down in those 5 years the 1st and 2nd rounder Nashville picks were:
1998 Legwand (whom basically turned into a 40 point per season guy) & (no 2nd rounder)

99 - 6th overall Brian Finley!!! & 5-2nd rounders that amounted to nothing except Adam Hall, 7th - Erat.

2000 - 6th overall Hartnell, 2nd Daniel Widing.

2001 - Hamhuis! 2 - 2nd rounders nada (Shishnakov, Slovak)

2002 - yet another 6th overall - S. UPshall, no 2nd rounder.

2003 - at 7th overall finally a good 1st rounder Ryan Suter, and 2nd rounder S. Weber, those two took Shea Weber & Ryan Suter till 2006/07 to be fully NHL effective when they were both 21 years of age.

So it was in Poile's 6th year he got his corner stone defensemen and they took a little over 3 years to develop, 9 years into Poile's tenure.

And then the mastermind GM's team lost in the first round for 4 years straight, then missed the playoffs in Poile's over decade managing the team with little to no success (stability earned?), then lost first round once again, then lost to Canucks 2nd round in 2011, lost in 2nd round 2012, missed the playoffs for two years, lost 1st round 2015, lost 2nd round 2016, finally went to Cup finals in 2017 - where Poile won GM of the year.

If the Predators were owned by the Aquilini's, Poile would have been fired years ago and Blob would be leading the pack to get him fired years ago as well.

Benning has been at the helm 3 and half years now and like it or not, Jim Benning has drafted some great pieces at every position, I for one would like to see how those drafted pieces turn out when JB is still at the helm after 8 years. Which is why I'm confident in Jim Benning's to turn this franchise around.

Plus I think he'll trade some more vets this season to the 2018 offseason, further dismantling the 2011 team to basically Tanev the last man standing from that Sedin era, this team will look much different after 5 years with Jim Benning leading the team, that's with 2018 offseason and 2019 offseason.

Let's get some stability and let Jim Benning work his magic to bring this team back from the dead...which of course is going to take longer than 3.5 years.

For ya'll that were wasted last night - Stability ftw.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: For ya'll that were wasted last night - Stability ftw.
Did you really need to quote the whole diatribe again?

You are comparing the GM of an expansion team in a southern US market to a Canadian team with a fairly long history and some relatively recent success. Expectations, history, franchise profile in the market, fan knowledge, ownership involvement... those things might differ, no? Poile was building an expansion team, he knew it would take time. Benning, OTOH, has never missed an opportunity to try and "fast track" his rebuild. I also don't believe the ownership group is willing to entertain a patient approach.

Poile was a also big proponent of accumulating draft picks. He had 15 in 1999 alone, and 44 in his first four drafts, compared to just 28 for Benning.

It's fine to call for patience with Benning, but Poile and Benning are not comparable GM's, nor are the Canucks and Predators in remotely similar circumstances. I don't see the similarity. At all.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Poile gets 15+ years of mediocre play by his team with all the time in the world to try to build up that franchise, but 3.5 years of Benning & the pitchforks are out it's fucking ridiculous.
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

SKYO wrote:Poile gets 15+ years of mediocre play by his team with all the time in the world to try to build up that franchise, but 3.5 years of Benning & the pitchforks are out it's fucking ridiculous.
What's even more fucking ridiculous is that the pitchforks came out during the first year.........he talks funny, he must be an idiot..............then a couple questionable first moves cemented that idea......
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

SKYO wrote:Poile gets 15+ years of mediocre play by his team with all the time in the world to try to build up that franchise, but 3.5 years of Benning & the pitchforks are out it's fucking ridiculous.
What is ridiculous is for the Canucks to sign guys like Erickson, Gagner and Vanek. What a waste of money, especially Erickson. It's obvious to everyone we need to REBUILD, not sign aging vets to 6 year contracts. I hope the Sedins retire after this year so the real rebuild can begin. Look at the stands on Saturday night...if that doesn't scare the hell out of the owners, nothing will. The fans can see it...this team is barely watchable. No one wants to watch over the hill overpaid veterans.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hocke ... with-team/

Does anyone know yet who got the call from the farm?
"evolution"
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Nevermind, they just said they won't announce who till tomorrow, (Tuesday)...
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

18 teams have turned over their GM since the end of 2013-14. He's certainly not new to a position, and if ownership isn't seeing things heading in an expected direction I could definitely see ownership pulling the plug after this season.

Others in Benning's cohort could go down if their teams don't improve this year. Sakic (Sep 2014) could "step down" and MacLellan (Wash - May '14) and Treliving (Cgy - Apr '14) are feeling the weight of expectations. Extending the timeline a bit, Jim Nill (2013) is likely on the outs if Dallas underperforms, and Bergevin (2012) is almost certainly gone if the current trend continues in Montreal. So yeah, I think 4-6 years is probably all a GM can really expect.

This is Benning's fourth season and second coach. He was brought in with the (likely impossible) "win while building" mandate, and he's had no success "winning" and at this point the "building" is debatable. I could see him getting one more draft, but if the team isn't showing promise next season, he won't be calling the shots by the 2019 draft.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
18 teams have turned over their GM since the end of 2013-14. He's certainly not new to a position, and if ownership isn't seeing things heading in an expected direction I could definitely see ownership pulling the plug after this season.

Others in Benning's cohort could go down if their teams don't improve this year. Sakic (Sep 2014) could "step down" and MacLellan (Wash - May '14) and Treliving (Cgy - Apr '14) are feeling the weight of expectations. Extending the timeline a bit, Jim Nill (2013) is likely on the outs if Dallas underperforms, and Bergevin (2012) is almost certainly gone if the current trend continues in Montreal. So yeah, I think 4-6 years is probably all a GM can really expect.

This is Benning's fourth season and second coach. He was brought in with the (likely impossible) "win while building" mandate, and he's had no success "winning" and at this point the "building" is debatable. I could see him getting one more draft, but if the team isn't showing promise next season, he won't be calling the shots by the 2019 draft.
Well lets see, Quinn had 10 years & had the 1994 run, Burke 6 years, Nonis 4 years, Gillis 6 years & he got all of Burke's and Nonis fruits of their labour.

Benning 3.5 years so far after inheriting all the old crap (notably the glacier slow Sedins locked in at $14M) from the previous 3 GM's chock full of the main players with NTC's and NMC's and pretty much zero prospects sans #53, if you can remember the pitiful prospect camps before, it's quite pathetic, sorry to those dudes, but lets be real MG had no mindset to draft for the future as all the assets/picks/prospects were all spent for that lucky 2011 run and two prez trophies, but still --- how in god's green earth do the pens and blackhawks etc have a better prospect stable even with all their Cup runs and championships? That's just how bad the scouting and management was by Gillis, he had no foresight for the future.

At least with Benning he's building up a future core, and people can already see a potential top 6 forward group to build around in:

Goldy-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Virtanen

Not to mention Kole Lind ripping it up in junior right now. Demko is starting to play like a #1 in the farm.

And whose to say what limit Goldobin, Dahlen and Pettersson is? who knows if they could be just as good as nylander/ehlers down the road, laugh and call bullshit all you want, but none of us know what level's they can reach in about 3 years.

Benning's low-key building for the future is why I have hope for this team.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Poile was on a pretty tight internal budget for the majority of those 15+ years......that alone is a massive difference.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

SKYO wrote:that lucky 2011 run
Lucky? :D Weren't we #1 in pretty much every team stat that year?

But other than that ... We're looking at the best batch of prospects in the team's history (which sadly doesn't mean a lot) - and it's very likely that Benning won't get to see the fruits of his labours.

We have no idea what ownership is thinking in terms of how patient they'll be, but Benning has made some mistakes along the way, but can't be faulted for not stocking the cupboards.

I'll keep watching the kids progress and enjoy our success down the road that much more. Just like I enjoyed watching the Sedins progress, and the WCE come together.... and other versions of the team in the past.

If people don't want to pay $200 a seat at this point, I can't blame them. I had to debate paying $100 to watch all the games. ;)
2021 - Playoff Bound
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Meds wrote:
Poile was on a pretty tight internal budget for the majority of those 15+ years......that alone is a massive difference.
Be as it may, 15 years of mediocrity and he still stays for that amount of time with stability has proven to be good for the franchise after all these years, the Predators have hit and miss drafting like most teams, but drafting well overall - which is a sound tactic - just like Benning's drafting.

The owners here keep swapping out GM's isn't going to help the franchise build a contender, if you can find a GM who can draft pretty good overall, the odd's are in your favour that your team will be a solid franchise for many years to come.
Cornuck wrote:
SKYO wrote:that lucky 2011 run
Lucky? :D Weren't we #1 in pretty much every team stat that year?

But other than that ... We're looking at the best batch of prospects in the team's history (which sadly doesn't mean a lot) - and it's very likely that Benning won't get to see the fruits of his labours.

We have no idea what ownership is thinking in terms of how patient they'll be, but Benning has made some mistakes along the way, but can't be faulted for not stocking the cupboards.

I'll keep watching the kids progress and enjoy our success down the road that much more. Just like I enjoyed watching the Sedins progress, and the WCE come together.... and other versions of the team in the past.

If people don't want to pay $200 a seat at this point, I can't blame them. I had to debate paying $100 to watch all the games. ;)
heheh was saying that in jest, thanks to burr slaying the dragon, if he didn't do that the Canucks and that core were done.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

Well lets see, Quinn had 10 years & had the 1994 run, Burke 6 years, Nonis 4 years, Gillis 6 years & he got all of Burke's and Nonis fruits of their labour.

Benning 3.5 years so far after inheriting all the old crap (notably the glacier slow Sedins locked in at $14M) from the previous 3 GM's chock full of the main players with NTC's and NMC's and pretty much zero prospects sans #53, if you can remember the pitiful prospect camps before, it's quite pathetic, sorry to those dudes, but lets be real MG had no mindset to draft for the future as all the assets/picks/prospects were all spent for that lucky 2011 run and two prez trophies, but still --- how in god's green earth do the pens and blackhawks etc have a better prospect stable even with all their Cup runs and championships? That's just how bad the scouting and management was by Gillis, he had no foresight for the future.

At least with Benning he's building up a future core, and people can already see a potential top 6 forward group to build around in:

Goldy-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Virtanen

Not to mention Kole Lind ripping it up in junior right now. Demko is starting to play like a #1 in the farm.

And whose to say what limit Goldobin, Dahlen and Pettersson is? who knows if they could be just as good as nylander/ehlers down the road, laugh and call bullshit all you want, but none of us know what level's they can reach in about 3 years.

Benning's low-key building for the future is why I have hope for this team.
Do not compare Jim Benning and Pat Quinn please, for the love of God... Just walk away from that argument altogether...
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Good news.

Canucks announced they've signed Jonah Gadjovich to a three-year entry-level contract.