Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Locked
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by olpaddy »

You reap what you sew... Just gonna leave this image right here... 3 games into a season thats gonna get worse on the ice ... Genius???? Won't last the year...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMChLSAU8AYLudz.jpg:large
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by olpaddy »

You reap what you sew... Just gonna leave this image right here... 3 games into a season thats gonna get worse on the ice ... Genius???? Won't last the year...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMChLSAU8AYLudz.jpg:large
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Jovocop »

olpaddy wrote:You reap what you sew... Just gonna leave this image right here... 3 games into a season thats gonna get worse on the ice ... Genius???? Won't last the year...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMChLSAU8AYLudz.jpg:large
The Canucks went through the same thing from 1998 to 2000 (aka Messier era) http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/ ... p?tmi=8756. In a year or two, *fans* will once again fill up the arena.
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13625
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Micky »

olpaddy wrote:You reap what you sew... Just gonna leave this image right here... 3 games into a season thats gonna get worse on the ice ... Genius???? Won't last the year...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMChLSAU8AYLudz.jpg:large
Great Pic ! How do they skew the official numbers ?
Is a lot of this people have paid and are not going and can't give them away ?
That is like the 80s.
"evolution"
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 12190
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by The Brown Wizard »

How long until the games are blacked out again.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19982
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Jovocop wrote:
olpaddy wrote:You reap what you sew... Just gonna leave this image right here... 3 games into a season thats gonna get worse on the ice ... Genius???? Won't last the year...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMChLSAU8AYLudz.jpg:large
The Canucks went through the same thing from 1998 to 2000 (aka Messier era) http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/ ... p?tmi=8756. In a year or two, *fans* will once again fill up the arena.
Depends ..... Do you see an engine of a good young team similar to that group ? Ohlund, Jovo, Salo, Bertuzzi, Naslund, Morrison, etc was a good young nucleus. I see Bo and a pile of maybes.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Zedlee »

olpaddy wrote:You reap what you sew... Just gonna leave this image right here... 3 games into a season thats gonna get worse on the ice ... Genius???? Won't last the year...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMChLSAU8AYLudz.jpg:large
Holy S*&T. That is shocking...it wasn't obvious to me on tv that the crowd was that sparse. To paraphrase Yogi Berra: "if people don't want to come to the rink, you can't stop them". I don't blame anyone for not going...the cost is friggin ridiculous and no guarantee you're gonna see a good game.

I heard Montreal did not sell out their home opener either.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
olpaddy wrote:You reap what you sew... Just gonna leave this image right here... 3 games into a season thats gonna get worse on the ice ... Genius???? Won't last the year...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMChLSAU8AYLudz.jpg:large
The Canucks went through the same thing from 1998 to 2000 (aka Messier era) http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/ ... p?tmi=8756. In a year or two, *fans* will once again fill up the arena.
Depends ..... Do you see an engine of a good young team similar to that group ? Ohlund, Jovo, Salo, Bertuzzi, Naslund, Morrison, etc was a good young nucleus. I see Bo and a pile of maybes.
Bertuzzi, Naslund and Morrison weren't expected to be league leading first liners when they were traded? They were "maybes" when they first arrived. They didn't become good players until their 3rd or 4th years with the team.

Jovo was traded for Bure, one of the most talented Canuck ever. At the time, *fans* were upset with the trade.

Besides Bo, the Canucks still have Granlund, Baertschi, Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen,Virtanen, Pouliot, Pettersson, Guadette, Lockwood, Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi, Demko, and DiPietro who might turn out to be something. TBH, the current prospects might be the best that the Canucks have ever had.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11966
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Topper »

I recall discussing this here a few years back as the decline of on ice product became obvious and the local financial market suffering meant far less corporate support and foreshadowing a loss of individual support.

The resident has been goalie was adamant that the waiting list for season's tickets meant there was nothing to worry about.

LOL...he was wrong again.

As much as some hate it, the average Canuck fan is fickle. Being seen on TV with your cell phone while you (Don Lever) stand and wave to all your friends stuck at home was cool because you had the golden ticket.

Folks can't handle a rebuild. Average fans will retreat to casual status.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by kelowna kanuck »

As much as some hate it, the average Canuck fan is fickle. Being seen on TV with your cell phone while you (Don Lever) stand and wave to all your friends stuck at home was cool because you had the golden ticket.

Folks can't handle a rebuild. Average fans will retreat to casual status.

YOU WANT A REBUILD???? YOU CAN'T HANDLE A REBUILD!
more cap space!
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by olpaddy »

Jovocop wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
olpaddy wrote:You reap what you sew... Just gonna leave this image right here... 3 games into a season thats gonna get worse on the ice ... Genius???? Won't last the year...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMChLSAU8AYLudz.jpg:large
The Canucks went through the same thing from 1998 to 2000 (aka Messier era) http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/ ... p?tmi=8756. In a year or two, *fans* will once again fill up the arena.
Depends ..... Do you see an engine of a good young team similar to that group ? Ohlund, Jovo, Salo, Bertuzzi, Naslund, Morrison, etc was a good young nucleus. I see Bo and a pile of maybes.
Bertuzzi, Naslund and Morrison weren't expected to be league leading first liners when they were traded? They were "maybes" when they first arrived. They didn't become good players until their 3rd or 4th years with the team.

Jovo was traded for Bure, one of the most talented Canuck ever. At the time, *fans* were upset with the trade.

Besides Bo, the Canucks still have Granlund, Baertschi, Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen,Virtanen, Pouliot, Pettersson, Guadette, Lockwood, Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi, Demko, and DiPietro who might turn out to be something. TBH, the current prospects might be the best that the Canucks have ever had.
Settle down settle down the team was at a crossroads and was forced to rebuild... There is No Bure to move that gets u Jovo, There is No Mogilny here to move that Gets Morrison there is no Linden to Move that gets U Bertuzzi and McCabe, there is no Bertuzzi to move that gets u luongo...

U got significant assets in trades... I don't think 3 more years of Gagner gets u anything nor do I think 5 years of Loui gets u anything..

Twins have called there own shot and have told everyone they will decide what they want to do as opposed to the team telling them to fuck off cause they cannot play anymore...

As far as the prospect pool it looks nice but don't be so naive they will hit on all... Pedersson is playing the wing oversees when he was drafted to be a center which hurts his development I have made my comments about Oli Bo is a centerman who doesn't distribute Sven looks like a player whose skating is what it is which is average and is just creative enough to be a 15 goal scorer I like Brock i hope people temper expectations...watching Ehlers and 18 skate on the ice drives home the Genius of our GM and I LOVE 18 ... Way to early to discuss any of last years picks that went after Elias cause all of em are probably 3-5 years away...

As far as Pavel trade and people being upset I seem to recall a very different reaction in the community and By our then GM who made his feelings known...

Alot of things have to go right to turn this ship around and I think people take that for granted in the market...
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote: Folks can't handle a rebuild. Average fans will retreat to casual status.
No different than most other NHL cities.
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Iceman2014 »

I think the local hockey team will be fine going through a rebuild. They don't have a choice. Sure, they're not going to sell out all the time but those are the facts of pro sports - there will be ups and downs. Gillis left the cupboards bare as bare can be. Then the local 'geniuses' all blame Benning. I'm not a big Benning fan but he's made more positive moves than Gillis. Nope, not an ideal situation here and Benning missed too... :mrgreen:
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19982
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Topper wrote:I recall discussing this here a few years back as the decline of on ice product became obvious and the local financial market suffering meant far less corporate support and foreshadowing a loss of individual support.

The resident has been goalie was adamant that the waiting list for season's tickets meant there was nothing to worry about.

LOL...he was wrong again.

As much as some hate it, the average Canuck fan is fickle. Being seen on TV with your cell phone while you (Don Lever) stand and wave to all your friends stuck at home was cool because you had the golden ticket.

Folks can't handle a rebuild. Average fans will retreat to casual status.

Yawn.... folks can't handle a BUTCHERED rebuild . Neither can owners. Elmer and crew will walk the plank with anything less than 90 points
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Iceman2014 wrote:I think the local hockey team will be fine going through a rebuild. They don't have a choice. Sure, they're not going to sell out all the time but those are the facts of pro sports - there will be ups and downs. Gillis left the cupboards bare as bare can be.
Correct.
I'm not a big Benning fan but he's made more positive moves than Gillis.
Locked