Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by BladesofSteel »

SKYO wrote:Utica though will be happy: Dahlen, Boucher, Goldobin and Virtanen in their top 6.
Goldy and Virtanen will be the immediate call-ups all season though.
What is the over/under on their combined +/- :lol:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Rodin who?

He would clear waivers.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote:Rodin who?

He would clear waivers.

Clearly if there are better options than Rodin he will be waived. But he will get the benefit of the doubt if all things are equall. With Gaunce starting the season hurt we can keep him for now.
The only HW the Canucks need
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

He would clear waivers.
Yeah right. Nobody wants a gold helmet mvp of the Swedish hockey League.

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Boeser is a lock, has to be.
unless Brock outplays the top 6, and makes the team, he is by no means a lock. If he is going to be top 9, best for him to get monster ice time in the AHL. That's why we signed all the vets, so we don't have to rush rookies anymore.
Sedins - Granlund
Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Vanek - Gagner - Eriksson
Dorsett/Goldy - Sutter - Burmistrov

Swap Dorsett/Goldy with bigger teams vs smaller teams.

Jake Virtanen will be the first call-up when the inevitable injuries hit.

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
MDZ-Guds
Wiercioch

Biega & Chatfield first call-up - the surprise dman this year to jump to the ready for the pro's game, which is great as he is 21.
micky107 wrote:That's not quite enough change for the fans ! Remember, it's a business too. $$$$$
How can that not be 'enough change' for fans?? With Vanek, Burmistrov, Gagne, MDZ, and full seasons from Dorsett, Gudbrandson and Goldobin, plus a new backup in Nillson, that's swapping out almost THIRD of the team!!! (and that's assuming Wiercioch and Upshall are not on the team). I am not even (quite) agreeing with the above lineup on paper, but its still MILES ahead of where we ended last year.
Putting re-treads on the old tires, (FA signings), is not change. It's same shit, different year.
Change is giving our own prospects an NHL spot as soon as they're up to it and some of them are.
But no, most just want to keep adding agar to the molasses. :roll:
Boeser is not a lock ? Then someone should be "Locked-up", in the asylum.

Edmonton likely to start 5 foot 8, 18 year old Yamamoto. Even getting his team mates to help him learn how to protect himself.

Folks around this town think Mick wants to move too fast? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
How about just keeping up to the rest of the league.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Iceman2014 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I agree only certain players can be judged now. Don't judge Tkachuk or Juolevi but Gaudette and Lockwood are the best prospects in college hockey. :lol:
Nevermind Gaudette and Lockwood! Kole Lind!!!! Holy mother of....!!!! The kid is on fire. JimBro Benning again!
It looks like Corrado and Shinkaruk have been placed on waivers. Another win for Benning!

Boy oh boy that Gillis sure did wonders for adding young talent here during his tenure .... :D
LOL, Boi oh Boi, poor ole Bubbles Macenzzi, he didn't need this regarding Shrunkcarrot and Corrado, no siree not now. He has no choice now, he has to write the book on the Granlund-Shrunkcarrot. Brilliant asset Mgmt by the one and only - JimBro Benning....genius.
Lol a second for Linden Vey says hi, an extra 2nd for bottom pairing ufa Gudbranson says hi. Forsling for Clendenningvsays ola. Matt Tkachuk says Konicewa. Brandon Sutters grandkids say thanks Uncle Grandpa Benning, you paid for our goat/sheep for the next century. Louis Erikssons grandkids are thrilled to know the dont have to work in their lifetime.
Try to stay on topic, Bubbles. Towards the end of last season when Granlund was putting up 20 goals with a fucked up wrist everyone was on board saying Benning won the trade but not you sir as you said - "the book isn't written on the Shinkaruk trade"!?!?!? You have a very limited intellect stunted by your love for Gillis.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lind named WHL Player of the Week

DiPietro named OHL Player of the Week

Who is this Benning fella? What a Draftsman! He could've taught Gillis a thing or two. The 6 year draft Legacy of Gillis - Gaunce, Rodin, Hutton, Cassels. Over 6 years folks! Just dreadful
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

micky107 wrote:
Putting re-treads on the old tires, (FA signings), is not change. It's same shit, different year.
Change is giving our own prospects an NHL spot as soon as they're up to it and some of them are.
So, having a line-up with Biega, Boucher, Goldobin, and Drew Shore. along with Megna and Chaput is what you are looking for? Oh, and that line-up already had Boeser in it too. (April 9, 2017) So, we bring up Virtanen to replace Megma or Chaput. That still leaves just 4 NHL prospects and 3 complete scrubs in the line up filling up 7 roster spots.

-- Welcome to Micky's slightly injured 2017/2018 Vancouver Canucks, folks!
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Tciso wrote:
micky107 wrote:
So, having a line-up with Biega, Boucher, Goldobin, and Drew Shore. along with Megna and Chaput is what you are looking for? Oh, and that line-up already had Boeser in it too. (April 9, 2017) So, we bring up Virtanen to replace Megma or Chaput. That still leaves just 4 NHL prospects and 3 complete scrubs in the line up filling up 7 roster spots.

The only name on that list that I was referring to, even slightly, is Goldobin.
The rest are probably career minor league players.
Learn to read between the lines of a wise man's words before "attempting" a retort.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

micky107 wrote:
Tciso wrote:
micky107 wrote:

The rest are probably career minor league players. He
Learn to read between the lines of a wise man's words before "attempting" a retort.
So much to start with here...

First, Are you saying that by adding Goldobin to Tiscos above mentioned pile of crap is enough to qualify your statement as 'change' enough to the lineup?!? Because he played in and out last season with the above mentioned pile of crap as well.. so adding 6 new guys, getting back 2 guys who missed most of the season and playing Boesser and Goldobin is 'enough change' for you?

And if the answer to above question is a 'yes', then please, oh self appointed wise man Micky, how does 'even slightly goldobin' tip the scales from not fast enough and more change needed' to satisfying you insatiable cravings for change?? Are you that close to being happy that 'slightly adding' Goldobin (who may or may not be ready for regular NHL play) tip the scales that much?

Second, If the dripping sarcasm of the above statement is not enough, then perhaps you best dumb down your oh so wise posts that are as obscure as a Chinese steam room being used as a junkies bong on Trudeaus free dope day.

You want to be seen as a 'wise man' around here, post more like Wids. Just because you have an opinion, doesn't make it right, nor fact, nor does it reflect everyone else around you.

And regarding Boesser, I have said before, if he earns his spot in the top 6, awesome. If not, he might be better served getting monster minutes in the AHL for a year. We signed the vets so we don't have to rush rookies just because they have great preseasons.
Did you lock McCann and Virtanen into the lineup a couple years ago??
This time we don't have to rush guys. Have patience and Let them develop. You can handle the rebuild!! Be strong!

**edit Reminder: Make sure you don't think before typing and reply to this 7 times to keep your daily post count up!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

micky107 wrote:
Tciso wrote:
micky107 wrote:

The rest are probably career minor league players.
So, who are you referring to when filling the voids we had last year? Remember, without Gagner, Vanek and Burmistrov, we have 3 forward spots to fill, and that is after Boeser is penciled in.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Madcombinepilot wrote:And regarding Boesser, I have said before, if he earns his spot in the top 6, awesome. If not, he might be better served getting monster minutes in the AHL for a year. We signed the vets so we don't have to rush rookies just because they have great preseasons.
Did you lock McCann and Virtanen into the lineup a couple years ago??
This time we don't have to rush guys. Have patience and Let them develop. You can handle the rebuild!! Be strong!
I think you've hit on a good question respecting Boeser which is whether keeping him in the lineup would, in fact, be "rushing" him. Notwithstanding that keeping Virtanen and McCann up a couple years ago in hindsight was a mistake, young players do need to be placed into the lineup at some point - it's just a question of when the right time is for that placement.

From what we have seen so far of Boeser, last year and this year, and to the extent that he continues to show the same level of competence, I think placing him in the lineup at this point isn't rushing. One key factor in addition to skill, that differentiates him from the previously mentioned McCann and Virtannen, is his maturity. He seems to be right in line with Horvat when he came into the league, which I think (combined with his talent) projects well for success at the NHL level. Obviously, if Boeser tails off in the next few games or in the first 10 of the regular season, then it is best to send him down. But if he maintains anywhere close to the torrid pace of point accumulation he has so far, I don't see how there is any way we can send the guy down to the AHL.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

griz wrote:

He would clear waivers.
Yeah right. Nobody wants a gold helmet mvp of the Swedish hockey League.

If he is not good enough to make the team which finished bottom 5 in the league who else will need him? He is 27 this November so this is his final kick at the NHL which IMO a higher end league than what he was in before (no offence Per)

Will someone take a chance on him, sure maybe someone will but what type of player is he? A 3rdor 4th line player?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm a wise man :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Rodin played well with Horvat last preseason before being injured. He could fit nicely in the top six if things work out. We just don't know what we have, but waiving him is risky with out giving him a chance after missing the year to injury. He might get through to Utica if waived, but he might not, and he might turn out to be a valuable player. Needless to say the next two games are important.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.