Competitive and/or Contending

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Competitive and/or Contending

Post by Mickey107 »

It is very doubtful we will seriously be contending for a long playoff run for a couple of years.
Of course you never know, it can happen even when the odds say no.

The last couple of years, IMO, we have not been competitive either, not really in any way save a few great goal-tending performances and 2 or 3 games we had a mind to be, like TO vs VAN II.
How many of us had to force ourselves to watch a lot of games just so we could comment and try and figure out why
it had to "LOOK" as bad as it did.
I am actually very, very surprised how civil the fans have been, but that's not gonna keep.
I am of the opinion, that a .500 season, (81 pts.), can be not only entertaining but highly competitive.
I feel this important in that it buys time to get to that other word, contending. ;)
"evolution"
Rede
CC Veteran

Re: Competitive and/or Contending

Post by Rede »

I won't watch at all if we are the Avalanche of last year. I'll read The Provies, Twitter and come here for commentary but am unlikely to give them TV Ratings or Ticket Sales.

If they put a more entertaining, youthful, aggressive (forechecking, backchecking, more pressure) product on the ice that has a shot at winning but will probably lose as many as they win (or more than they win) but with some youth emerging - different story.

I'm hoping to see a team that could realistically win most any game and have a couple kids start emerging and really getting fans excited.

I'm also hoping this is the last year we aren't assumed to be a lottery team - but that will probably depend on what the draft lottery balls say and how the twins hold up.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Competitive is a relative term IMO. Last season we were far more competitive that 15/16 without question, movement in the right direction.

In the 2016/17 season we only lost 2 games by 4 goals or more (we also had an awesome 9 game losing streak being shutout 4 times and scoring only 12 goals combined early in the season):
7-2 loss to the NYR
4-0 loss to the Pens

In the 2015/16 season we lost 8 games by 4 or more goals (not to mention the streak of 4 straight 5-2 loses and stellar 8 game losing streak where we scored a combined 8 goals and were shutout 4 times):
4-0 loss to Anaheim
4-0 loss to Boston
4-0 loss to Chicago
6-2 loss to Minny
5-0 loss to LA
4-0 loss to St.Louis
6-2 loss to Edmonton
7-3 loss to Calgary

What I'm getting at is that I believe we were far more competitive last season. We were in far more games, which indicates we are headed in the right direction. We accomplished this despite the Sedins having their worst season statistically of their career.

We continually get younger and will for the next few years (Hansen, Miller and Burrows gone now). Once Edler and the Sedins are jettisoned we will likely be one of the youngest teams in the league having only Eriksson over the age of 30 and a decent crop of prospects looking to make an impact!

I anticipate us being even more competitive this season once coach Green gets these guys playing the way he'd like. I see early struggles as happens often with new coaches but further development of our younger players.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I just want to see more offense with way more scoring chances, sure we are going to get bullied a lot but this team has more promise with depth in the potential scoring department.

Baertschi-Horvat to continue on forming a solid pairing.

Defense to stay healthy for once and create solid pairings/chemistry.

Plus hoping to see a couple breakout players scoring wise, like a Tdot Nylander/Marner type breakouts (yes not as dominate as them, but you get the gist) - Boeser is getting a lot of attention from prospect analysts on social media.

And one more unproven youngster to come out of nowhere to produce points consistently for this 2017/18 season.

Be interesting to see how this 6'6 swedish duo goaltending battle plays out.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

These are the years coming up where we enjoy the game with "hope" in our minds as we watch some young talent on the up and up. Then get excited come Draft day.

2022/23 We should have team that can go deep into the playoffs if these picks work out with the odd trade.

You really have to love the game not just the wins to stick around for the next few years. That eliminates a ton of fans.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'll watch. Or at least tune in game to game. I may channel surf or switch the game off completely as it goes but I'll tune in.

I'll be interested, obviously, in how our goaltending turns out. I was a Miller fan and a supporter of his contract with us. But I'm ok with turning the ice over to Markstrom.

On D I'll try not to miss Trymakin. I loved his potential and his leaving still stings a bit.

Up front will be interesting just to see who makes to cut. I'm hoping our PP improves. Hoping Eriksson has a bounce back year, Baertsch, Bo and Granlund continue their progress. Interested in seeing if Virtanen, Boeser and Goldobin make it.

Just a wait and see year. Given our draft lottery success :mrgreen: I'm ok with a higher finish, but still a lottery pick.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The new draft lottery system stinks, might as well contend
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:The new draft lottery system stinks, might as well contend
Kinda like the last two seasons eh dud ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

I don't understand this mentality.

Whether you truly tank or "pretend to contend", you are going to suck with lottery draft luck anyway

Wouldn't it be better to at least show that you are trying to win games.

The Canucks have been trying to do that, trying to "stay competitive", but they just sucked, period. Both the coaches and players sucked, period. And we have been gradually purging all the wastes in the system, have we not?

Tanking does not get you to a brand new competitive team any faster. Don't bring up Edmonton or Toronto, they lucked out with two picks.

The Canucks are fine. It's just growing pain.

I personally am looking forward to next season to see how Horvat and other young fellows are going ot make a statement.

We are entering into a new era, and a new chapter in the Canucks history.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Good post: It isn't easy, nobody ever thought it would be. As I have said so many times before, no one has ever had to face a situation of twin superstar aging players before, so no matter how it's looked at, it's new ground.
Inevitably a few mistakes along the way are probably unavoidable and in some cases, just law of averages pertaining to the fact that some prospects just plain don't turn out. "Way to go Jake, now get your act together this time, eh".
A couple of contracts we have acquired, I personally don't like and ya'll know "witch" two.
But I am looking forward to, what I would think and hope, should be one of the most exciting camps in a long time...
Last edited by Mickey107 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

CrzyCanuck wrote:I don't understand this mentality.

Whether you truly tank or "pretend to contend", you are going to suck with lottery draft luck anyway

Wouldn't it be better to at least show that you are trying to win games.

The Canucks have been trying to do that, trying to "stay competitive", but they just sucked, period. Both the coaches and players sucked, period. And we have been gradually purging all the wastes in the system, have we not?

Tanking does not get you to a brand new competitive team any faster. Don't bring up Edmonton or Toronto, they lucked out with two picks.

The Canucks are fine. It's just growing pain.

I personally am looking forward to next season to see how Horvat and other young fellows are going ot make a statement.

We are entering into a new era, and a new chapter in the Canucks history.
Between a rock and a hard place.

Those young guys your talking about, 2 of them came because the Nucks sucked, 1 other (Boeser) seems to be legit and hopefully a top 6 player, unlike others I do not count the chickens until they hatched.

Nucks trying to win a few extra games and pick 10 - 15 to me will mean the team takes longer to be a contender. I still prefer a few years of suckage and pick top 6 and then improve.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'll watch. Or at least tune in game to game. I may channel surf or switch the game off completely as it goes but I'll tune in.
PVR technology has fundamentally changed how I watch sports now. For many Canuck games now I'll record them and ff through until I see a goal scored. Then rewind and watch the play unfold. For the last 3 months of the season, the goals were few and far between and I watched almost no games start to finish. The Canucks were bad and not entertaing. My life is too busy to waste time watching a crap team lose and score very little. Best part of the season was the end where we saw Boesser come up.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Zedlee wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I'll watch. Or at least tune in game to game. I may channel surf or switch the game off completely as it goes but I'll tune in.
PVR technology has fundamentally changed how I watch sports now. For many Canuck games now I'll record them and ff through until I see a goal scored. Then rewind and watch the play unfold. For the last 3 months of the season, the goals were few and far between and I watched almost no games start to finish. The Canucks were bad and not entertaing. My life is too busy to waste time watching a crap team lose and score very little. Best part of the season was the end where we saw Boesser come up.

Exactly!!!
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Zedlee wrote:
Yeah the fun part of next season will be watching Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser and Goldy play.

The hopeful rise in points by Hutton & Stecher + MDZ depth scoring.

2nd tier - Granlund, Gagner - Eriksson

Seeing if Rodin, Dahlen can outscore players to squeeze their way onto the team in Sept. probably Rodin might/should if his knee holds up, Dahlen would be nice to see him join Pettersson in the SHL to continue on developing chemistry.

Lastly the goaltending battle between the swedish twin towers, whose going to win!?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Let it be a tie! Best possible outcome.
"evolution"