Competitive and/or Contending

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Competitive and/or Contending

Post by Mickey107 »

Ya; It's really tall now, with a mug thing on top that you can drink booze from. :(
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

What we know is this: the Canucks have more prospect depth than they've had in a long time. More players with the potential to have a meaningful impact at the NHL level. Since an individual player's development is subject to considerable variation, quantity matters. That provides a basis for hope.

Ceilings matter, too, but at a casual glance, the Canucks do not appear to have any dominant players in the system or on the roster. Put differently, maybe everything goes great Petterson becomes Nicklas Backstrom; but lightning is not going to strike and make him Sidney Crosby. Even if Bo Horvat specialized as a checking center, I don't think he would be as hard to play against as Jonathan Toews, Anze Kopitar, or Patrice Bergeron, and his offensive ceiling is what they provide. We can't know for certain that an 18 year old very good prospect might not take the jump to great prospect, but there are far more very good prospects that don't reach the level of NHL player, to say nothing of very good NHL player.

Frankly, the highest ceiling guy the Canucks have is arguably Juolevi, the forgotten man in all the talk of potential goal scorers. When is the last time the Canucks had a guy that can play 25+ minutes well and in all situations and against the other teams top lines? Not saying he's the next Ryan Suter (which I would love to have and there are some similarities), but I am thinking there is reason to be hopeful that he will end up more effective than Alex Edler, the franchise's best defenseman during their highest period of achievement.

Without one of the best goalies in the league, a true #1 D, or a dominant player (even if that definition is stretched to include a Kopitar -- and which the Canucks won't have), its hard to see any team as being a true contender. That's why Juolevi and Demko's development is critical.

But if you are competitive (good enough to make the playoffs), the dice come always come up snake eyes or box cars in the playoffs and you will find yourself with a shot. So let's get competitive.
Hono_rary Canadian
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Nice to see UW have some 'hope' for the future!

And good points Udub.

The missing player in your assessment is Nikita Tryamkin, he could come back in 2-3 years just when our prospects our coming around.

His ceiling is unknown, but as a young rookie dman he started to show a lot of promise of beastmode like play out there with a laser of a shot, he'd be entering 24-25 years of age when The Return of the Tryamking should come back to the NHL/Canucks. (if his wife allows him to, that is, be helpful if we had a couple other Russian players with family here as well, just sayin') Bure had Larionov to help him adjust.

IF Horvat can be the next Bergeron,
& IF Pettersson can be the next Wennberg/Zetterberg - https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/ ... -red-wings
Could be a strong duo & combined as a one/two punch down the middle - they could make some noise if they have a couple gun slingers on their wing that reach scoring star status.

And don't forget about Gaudette! http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... -prospects
The 6'1 center has skills, with a lot bite to his game, gritty/chippy with a 200ft game.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

SKYO wrote:Nice to see UW have some 'hope' for the future!

And good points Udub.

The missing player in your assessment is Nikita Tryamkin, he could come back in 2-3 years just when our prospects our coming around.

His ceiling is unknown, but as a young rookie dman he started to show a lot of promise of beastmode like play out there with a laser of a shot, he'd be entering 24-25 years of age when The Return of the Tryamking should come back to the NHL/Canucks. (if his wife allows him to, that is, be helpful if we had a couple other Russian players with family here as well, just sayin') Bure had Larionov to help him adjust.

IF Horvat can be the next Bergeron,
& IF Pettersson can be the next Wennberg/Zetterberg - https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/ ... -red-wings
Could be a strong duo & combined as a one/two punch down the middle - they could make some noise if they have a couple gun slingers on their wing that reach scoring star status.

And don't forget about Gaudette! http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... -prospects
The 6'1 center has skills, with a lot bite to his game, gritty/chippy with a 200ft game.
To add, we're missing a number of important players whose names we don't know yet..

As impressed as I've been with Bennings work at the draft table, I'm as excited to learn about the kids he picks over the next 2 or 3 years...

Take care...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yep Rikster the guys picked in the next two to three years are going to be awfully important for this franchise moving forward as they should all likely be top ten picks maybe even top five picks. Sure there are a few decent pieces in the system but a team is driven by its top six players. Three forwards , two d men and a goalie. Think : Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Edler, Hamhuis, Luongo. With prospects hitting at 25 % if you are lucky that means you need at least 20-25 blue chippers/ good established young guys in your system at all times. I see maybe a dozen and none of them are elite and don't seem to have the pedigree to be elite ......yet. It's still a long haul and I think playoffs are a minimum of four years away. If everything broke right it could be three but that's a hell of an ask.

Skyo , Tryamkin will not play for this team as long as Linden and Benning are here.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Skyo , Tryamkin will not play for this team as long as Linden and Benning are here.
I'd be suprised if he came back to north america to be honest. He doesn't like the physicality and being a giant means everyone will want him to thump.

He will go down as the latest fizzled ruskie in our system joining Kiril and Artem on the what it coulda been outta russia canuck wall of despair
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
And Skyo! You can take that to the bank!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
They browbeat the kid trying to make him become the next Pronger. Kind of ironic considering the way Elmer and Trevor played the game.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Big boy: You watch da movie! You play like dat man. Den maybe you get da ice on.

In my books, a stupid method and no way to treat some one that if had been left alone to figure out the mean side of the game, it would have come naturally!
I said that before and some one said they thought it was a good way to teach, (can't remember who).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
They browbeat the kid trying to make him become the next Pronger. Kind of ironic considering the way Elmer and Trevor played the game.
Well he easily led this team in hits with mediocre minutes.

None of know how much his family or wife had some power in his decision. ... Just like Prongers wife power had re: Edmonton forced trade.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

There are a few pics of Nik's wifey on this link.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=nikita+t ... ta7QnOFwbM:
I'd give her a solid 6 to 6.5 meh.
Don't know if that would be enough for me to alter my career. ;)
Maybe she's Never mind me. I'm just being a dork.
There is NOT much going on right now, like even less than the normal summer lull.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote:There are a few pics of Nik's wifey on this link.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=nikita+t ... ta7QnOFwbM:
I'd give her a solid 6 to 6.5 meh.
Don't know if that would be enough for me to alter my career. ;)
Maybe she's Never mind me. I'm just being a dork.
There is NOT much going on right now, like even less than the normal summer lull.
What did I miss? He altered his career for her? Has he now gone into figure skating so she can coach him?
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

^ That same image search - Tryamkin wife -

:lol:
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

UWSaint wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:If we can simply get our PP back into respectability we'll score more than 200 goals.
The problem is that 220 is more of the magic number for the playoffs. A respectable team is one that has a good enough chance to make the playoffs at the deadline where the need to rebuild gives way to the chance of making the playoffs (which doesn't mean being a buyer but does mean not being a seller).

Last year in NHL only one team that failed to score 220 goals made the playoffs. Only 3 of the 14 teams missing the show scored more than 220 goals. Put differently, 83% of teams scoring more than 220 goals made the playoffs and only 8% of the teams not scoring more than 220 goals made the playoffs.

Not surprisingly (since hockey is about scoring more than your opponents), the 220 threshold plays into goals against. Only 1 NHL team missed the playoffs and allowed 220 goals or fewer. And only 4 teams made the playoffs and gave up more than 220 goals. Percentage of teams who gave up more than 220 goals and made the playoffs: 24%. Percentage of teams who gave up 220 or fewer goals and made the playoffs: 92%.

The magic # (220) will float over time, but IIRC that was also the magic # for 2015-16.

The Canucks should be able to improve their goal scoring total from last season. It would be hard not to. 200 is reasonable; 210 is within the realm of possibility, and 220 would be a dream and requires a couple of absolute breakout seasons. But unless Travis Green possesses magic (figuratively, of course) AND the injury bug goes mostly dormant, I don't see any way that the Canucks will give up fewer than 220 goals. The forward corps is far worse defensively that the group that started last year (when healthy), the goaltending is a bigger question mark, key penalty killers are gone, and the defense group would have to have significant internal developmental improvements (as defensemen) from each of Hutton, Stetcher, and Gudbrandson (who now healthy effectively replaces Sbisa and but we will see if more effectively -- which is saying something about Gudbrandson's poor play last year....). 250 GA is far far more likely than 220.
Update. After an impressive October keeping pucks out of nets, a mediocre November, and a miserable Tanev-less December, the Canucks are on pace to allow 269 goals this season. They are on pace to score 221; to do it, the Canucks are getting that dream breakout season from Boeser and I believe added Vanek after I wrote the above post. (Also,goals are up this season around the league, so the magic number is probably higher than 220, but you get the point.)

But the defense and goaltending? They were as much of a problem as scoring the past couple years, but we are taking the opposite of the 2006-07 goalie-out approach to this rebuild. Which has made for more fun -- and that's important -- but isn't doing much for points....
Hono_rary Canadian
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

UWSaint wrote:... 220 is more of the magic number for the playoffs.
They are on pace to score 221...
So you're saying there's a chance!