Competitive and/or Contending

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Competitive and/or Contending

Postby micky107 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:20 pm

I remember the best old days before 1995.
Go back to that and make owners sign a "Level of Compete" clause that could be investigated, if need be.
An investigation would not only involve owners, presidents, GMs and coaches but player interviews as well.
To be done swiftly and decisively...
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby 5thhorseman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Strangelove wrote:(I'm throwing you a bone here 5thhorseman, run with it!)

The only "bone" I have, if any, is this whole genius malarky. It is so absurd that the only reasonable explanation is that you are posturing. If anything, Benning will be successful because he lives and breathes hockey and puts in the hours.
5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby rats19 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:22 pm

5thhorseman wrote:

The only "bone" I have, if any, is this whole genius malarky. It is so absurd that the only reasonable explanation is that you are posturing. If anything, Benning will be successful because he lives and breathes hockey and puts in the hours.

Stephen Hawking lives and breaths science and puts in the hours...
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby damonberryman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:52 pm

I think the team will be better but I have no idea how much. I keep thinking back to what a hot goalie can do for you (King Richard)
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby 5thhorseman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 pm

rats19 wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:

So does Bill Nye. What's your point?
5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Uncle dans leg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:57 pm

rats19 wrote:Stephen Hawking lives and breaths science and puts in the hours...

Read his comments on aliens. :lol:

They're practically posting billboards telling us they're here already
nobody forks...with the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Postby rats19 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:06 am

5thhorseman wrote:
rats19 wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:

So does Bill Nye. What's your point?

There's a point??? ... :D
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby micky107 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:33 am

Ya; It's really tall now, with a mug thing on top that you can drink booze from. :(
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby UWSaint » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:10 am

What we know is this: the Canucks have more prospect depth than they've had in a long time. More players with the potential to have a meaningful impact at the NHL level. Since an individual player's development is subject to considerable variation, quantity matters. That provides a basis for hope.

Ceilings matter, too, but at a casual glance, the Canucks do not appear to have any dominant players in the system or on the roster. Put differently, maybe everything goes great Petterson becomes Nicklas Backstrom; but lightning is not going to strike and make him Sidney Crosby. Even if Bo Horvat specialized as a checking center, I don't think he would be as hard to play against as Jonathan Toews, Anze Kopitar, or Patrice Bergeron, and his offensive ceiling is what they provide. We can't know for certain that an 18 year old very good prospect might not take the jump to great prospect, but there are far more very good prospects that don't reach the level of NHL player, to say nothing of very good NHL player.

Frankly, the highest ceiling guy the Canucks have is arguably Juolevi, the forgotten man in all the talk of potential goal scorers. When is the last time the Canucks had a guy that can play 25+ minutes well and in all situations and against the other teams top lines? Not saying he's the next Ryan Suter (which I would love to have and there are some similarities), but I am thinking there is reason to be hopeful that he will end up more effective than Alex Edler, the franchise's best defenseman during their highest period of achievement.

Without one of the best goalies in the league, a true #1 D, or a dominant player (even if that definition is stretched to include a Kopitar -- and which the Canucks won't have), its hard to see any team as being a true contender. That's why Juolevi and Demko's development is critical.

But if you are competitive (good enough to make the playoffs), the dice come always come up snake eyes or box cars in the playoffs and you will find yourself with a shot. So let's get competitive.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
CC Veteran

Postby SKYO » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:05 am

Nice to see UW have some 'hope' for the future!

And good points Udub.

The missing player in your assessment is Nikita Tryamkin, he could come back in 2-3 years just when our prospects our coming around.

His ceiling is unknown, but as a young rookie dman he started to show a lot of promise of beastmode like play out there with a laser of a shot, he'd be entering 24-25 years of age when The Return of the Tryamking should come back to the NHL/Canucks. (if his wife allows him to, that is, be helpful if we had a couple other Russian players with family here as well, just sayin') Bure had Larionov to help him adjust.

IF Horvat can be the next Bergeron,
& IF Pettersson can be the next Wennberg/Zetterberg - https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/ ... -red-wings
Could be a strong duo & combined as a one/two punch down the middle - they could make some noise if they have a couple gun slingers on their wing that reach scoring star status.

And don't forget about Gaudette! http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... -prospects
The 6'1 center has skills, with a lot bite to his game, gritty/chippy with a 200ft game.
Canucks 2017/18
A NEW HOPE
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby rikster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:30 pm

SKYO wrote:Nice to see UW have some 'hope' for the future!

And good points Udub.

The missing player in your assessment is Nikita Tryamkin, he could come back in 2-3 years just when our prospects our coming around.

His ceiling is unknown, but as a young rookie dman he started to show a lot of promise of beastmode like play out there with a laser of a shot, he'd be entering 24-25 years of age when The Return of the Tryamking should come back to the NHL/Canucks. (if his wife allows him to, that is, be helpful if we had a couple other Russian players with family here as well, just sayin') Bure had Larionov to help him adjust.

IF Horvat can be the next Bergeron,
& IF Pettersson can be the next Wennberg/Zetterberg - https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/ ... -red-wings
Could be a strong duo & combined as a one/two punch down the middle - they could make some noise if they have a couple gun slingers on their wing that reach scoring star status.

And don't forget about Gaudette! http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... -prospects
The 6'1 center has skills, with a lot bite to his game, gritty/chippy with a 200ft game.

To add, we're missing a number of important players whose names we don't know yet..

As impressed as I've been with Bennings work at the draft table, I'm as excited to learn about the kids he picks over the next 2 or 3 years...

Take care...
rikster
MVP
MVP

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 am

Yep Rikster the guys picked in the next two to three years are going to be awfully important for this franchise moving forward as they should all likely be top ten picks maybe even top five picks. Sure there are a few decent pieces in the system but a team is driven by its top six players. Three forwards , two d men and a goalie. Think : Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Edler, Hamhuis, Luongo. With prospects hitting at 25 % if you are lucky that means you need at least 20-25 blue chippers/ good established young guys in your system at all times. I see maybe a dozen and none of them are elite and don't seem to have the pedigree to be elite ......yet. It's still a long haul and I think playoffs are a minimum of four years away. If everything broke right it could be three but that's a hell of an ask.

Skyo , Tryamkin will not play for this team as long as Linden and Benning are here.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Skyo , Tryamkin will not play for this team as long as Linden and Benning are here.

I'd be suprised if he came back to north america to be honest. He doesn't like the physicality and being a giant means everyone will want him to thump.

He will go down as the latest fizzled ruskie in our system joining Kiril and Artem on the what it coulda been outta russia canuck wall of despair
nobody forks...with the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:19 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

And Skyo! You can take that to the bank!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:12 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

And Skyo! You can take that to the bank!

They browbeat the kid trying to make him become the next Pronger. Kind of ironic considering the way Elmer and Trevor played the game.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat