Competitive and/or Contending

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Competitive and/or Contending

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote:RD, it might go over better if you try your hand at some predictions.
If your right, you can crow till the sun goes down.
If your wrong, well, just take your medicine and carry on.
Doc does make predictions and sticks by them. Will argue and debate them with all his might.
If he's wrong, in particular about time frame, I'm sure he will deal with it in a unique way.

If I make a prediction and I'm right, I just carry on. If I'm wrong, I say: well I sure blew that one and take my beating then carry on.

What's Trevors line? We Are All Canucks. Did he make that up? Don't know.
Personally, I think it sucks and time for a new one. What would be appropriate? 8-)
You want a prediction? Island Nucklefarm is bear'ish on Juolevi.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
micky107 wrote:Making the playoffs would not surprise me one bit.
It might be fatal to the ultimate success of the rebuild.
I'm with you Mick. I'm just not BOLD enough to predict they'll make the playoffs this year :lol: The biggest X Factor to me is what impact the new coach will have. I didn't believe the Canucks were as bad as the standings showed last season, but will Green be able to get a different result out of some of the same key players?
micky107 wrote:I almost hope I'm wrong about this....
I certainly do. The Canucks are at least one more good, deep draft, with a high draft position and a few extra picks from trades, from having enough talent in the pipeline to be a championship team.
I disagree with you guys here for 2 reasons.

1. Arguably the Canucks' #1 prospect Boeser was drafted #23.

2. The goddam lottery, which this year saw teams not tanking and competing to the bitter end winning the best draft position.

I'm 100% ready to turn the page on tanking - this does not mean I think the re-build is over, and I agree with many posters who say the reins need to be handed to the next generation, even if it results in a costly turnover or a blown PP opportunity. I do not want 24 min of Edler a night and 19 min of Hank a night.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
5thhorseman wrote: Quantifiable results are preferred, but you won't get them.

All SL is interested in is positioning himself such that, if and when the Canucks are successful, he can say "I told you so", or "I knew it all along" to a all who care to listen, but especially to those who don't.
Even if that were the case... wouldn't one deserve accolades for recognizing genius in this case?

(assuming success)
Ah, no. Benning's success (if it happens) will be due to a combination of hard work (scouting), luck (in the lottery, draft, and in trades), and (hopefully) above average skills as a GM. Your claim of genius is just hyperbole for the dubious distinction of top dog on an internet board. Sad. You haven't recognised anything.
What's "Sad" is that you base your deduction upon an ASSumption.

(the ASSumption that all I care about is being able to say "I told you so")
5thhorseman wrote:
Strangelove wrote: After all, if the team were to fail miserably, scores of zombies such as yourself would rent me to pieces no?
Again, no. You are projecting. I've been here a while now and it seems to me that most on this board are interested in insightful discussion instead of one-upmanship.
So I am "projecting"... but you weren't? :scowl:

Hmmm... could've sworn this conversation started with YOU and YOUR ASSumption.

You have your head in your ASS if you honestly believe I would never hear the end of it... if I were wrong.

But you probably don't honestly believe it... which would make you what... an ASS? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Doc is back.

Doesn't answer questions just calls others posters names all the while making himself look the bigger fool.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote:Doc is back.

Doesn't answer questions just calls others posters names all the while making himself look the bigger fool.
Seriously, go fuck yourself little man (yes I just called a little spade a little spade). :D

The massive double-irony of you calling anyone a "fool" is awe-inspiring.

ASS an ASSide, who could ever forget the classic:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 18#p272118
Reefer2 [color=#FF0000]Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:36 am[/color] wrote: No disrespect Mick but sometimes I dont get your posts? Hell sometimes I dont get my posts a day later and I rarely get Doc's posts.
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote: The original author of that timeline has -- so far -- declined to specify what we will observe on the ice in the 2018-2019 season, so there was no commonly agreed upon interpretation of what the narrative was meant to represent.
Dafoik Cliffy, the Great Strangelove said something similar 2 months ago:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 93#p281993
Strangelove [color=#FF0000]May 15, 2017 7:06 pm[/color] wrote:
1-2 off-seasons from now we will all be talking about how far Canucks will go in the next playoffs

... as well as how many years the window will be open.
:mex:
From my perspective, there is a significant and important difference between predicting what people will be talking about on this board, and projecting what the Canucks will achieve on the ice.
Is there?? :eh:

If at that time everyone is talking about those things

... then obviously my Canucks will be achieving plenty on the ice! :sly:

Do I have to spell it out for you?

Obviously they will have made the playoffs (and looked good) with an exciting young core rising.
You don't have to do anything, but it's what I've been trying to ask for.

Sorry I haven't been clearer. I'm sure you know what "quantifiable" means. Not sure what part of my question you're not getting.
But I already "quantified" plenty. :eh:

(time-frame, how good the team will be, how big of a role young players will play)

I can't help but suspect you're being purposely obtuse...
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
5thhorseman wrote: a real prediction like our point total, or what round of the playoffs we'll make it to, not something you can easily twist or downplay.
Those would be good examples, so I have some confidence I'm not being too cryptic.
Well I said they would make the playoffs... so the approximate "point total" should be obvious.

(note I predicted my Canucks would not be a top team... yet)

Are you boys bright enough to now deduce the approximate "point total"

... or do you require further assistance? :sly:

As for "what round of the playoffs"... that is not relevant.

What is relevant is where I said:

"My Canucks will look good enough (in said playoffs) to give us all plenty of hope for the future".

("We will all be talking about how far they will go the next playoffs and how long the window will be open")

You dogs are not going to get a more quantified prediction than this on a fucking Canucks message board.
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Strangelove wrote: In context, my statement, namely: "Try to focus on (2018 or 2019)"

... has been in direct response to folks lamenting how much the team sucks in the now

... and sometimes in direct response to folks doubting that GMJB is a great rebuilder.

But yes, only in response to those two things!

So in context then, my statement is all about my faith in GMJB (and the big picture).
As so often happens, we do agree on the main point.
In that case Cliffy, would you kindly stop nipping at my heels like some deranged chihuahua? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Doc is back.

Seriously, go fuck yourself little man (yes I just called a little spade a little spade). :D

The massive double-irony of you calling anyone a "fool" is awe-inspiring.

ASS an ASSide, who could ever forget the classic:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 18#p272118
Reefer2 [color=#FF0000]Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:36 am[/color] wrote: No disrespect Mick but sometimes I dont get your posts? Hell sometimes I dont get my posts a day later and I rarely get Doc's posts.

No Doc why don't you go fuck yourself.

You keep referencing 1 post, is that all you got???

You are a complete and utter fool who never answer questions without trying to be little other posters or go on long rambling posts that most of us rarely read.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 18#p272118

No Doc why don't you go fuck yourself.

You keep referencing 1 post, is that all you got???

You are a complete and utter fool who never answer questions without trying to be little other posters or go on long rambling posts that most of us rarely read.
So you don't understand my posts and you don't read my posts

... yet you fancy yourself an expert on my posts! :lol:

And YOU call other people fools!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm beginning to understand why hydro rates are ridiculously high!

Please little man, don't ever stop trying to get even with the Great Strangelove, this is a riot!! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Ok Doc you win for today.

Don't want to derail this thread anymore than it already is.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I would call it competitive ;)
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: Some posters around here should go and get some sun, and avoid thinking about the Canucks for a few days. Could do us all some good, right?!
Agreed, I just got back from a few days of dat dere (thanks for noticing Reef) and look at me! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 [color=#FF0000]to RoyalDude[/color] wrote: Anyways I'm done with ya brother, you are nothing but a Polly.
Thank God because that was the 5th time in 1 week that you cluttered this forum with that insult.

As someone (who just called someone else a complete and utter fool) said 48 minutes ago in this thread

... it ain't right to "be little other posters"! :lol:

Ever feel you're a semi-illiterate uncouth hypocritical kettle in a world full of pots Mr Reefer? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reef, good grief?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mondi wrote:FWIW, I don't think Canucks will make the playoffs this year or next. But, I can see the argument about how they might. I also don't think GMJB is a genius, nor do I feel he has been above the league average GM over these past three years. However, he's amassed a nice group of up-and-coming players, and seems to have the team pointed in the right direction. If he stays the course (i.e. no more Loui Eriksson-type shit), a corner will be turned. And, if they draft Rhamus Dhalin, I believe that will improve their chances in 18-19. At this point, I think they might be looking at a playoff spot in 19-20.
The corner will be turned if the prospects turn into NHL players. Until that time, we're really all in the dark and just hoping someone turns the light on.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote:I think they might be looking at a playoff spot in 19-20.
Mondi wrote:We can make predictions tough, can't we? :mex:
Well you can but you may have to deal with Ronning's Ghost, 5thhorseman, and Reefer2

.... demanding that you quantify your "playoff spot in 19-20" prediction. :twisted:

They may want to know exactly how many points the team gets in 19-20.

They may want to know exactly how many playoff games they win.

They may hound you for months on end.

They may accuse you of making your prediction only because you want to brag about being right one day.

(aka "one-upmanship")

But yes, you... can. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.