2017 Canucks UFA signings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2017 Canucks UFA signings

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hey ESQ is Pedan still waiver exempt?
The only HW the Canucks need
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hey ESQ is Pedan still waiver exempt?
I stand corrected - he is NOT waiver exempt, being 23 and more than 3 years from when he signed his first NHL contract!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ukcanuck wrote:
micky107 wrote:I think everyone knows how I feel about the Eriksson signing. Too much, too long, too much protection.
Not something I would ever have done.
But Sutter seems to be a changed man since coming to Van.
With the Pens he had to keep his place, and did.
Here, he acts like a king shit vet with a bit of a mouth. He pissed me off last year when he needlessly came down on young Goldobin. Bad mentoring, to say the least.

Both these signings are on the records as Bennings but he may have been under pressure to make them, of that I can't be sure, never will probably.

Most of the work JB is doing now, I am good with. I see a good eye and some really decent foundational work.

So I'm kind of Steelers Wheel on it.
You know, Gerrry Rafertty's old band, Stuck in the Middle, Clowns to the left Jokers to the right.
Ah, nevermind, every body is probably too young.
The usual suspects
Get over the fight in the Bar. :scowl:
"evolution"
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

ESQ wrote:I'm very happy with all of the signings - good cap hits, good terms, no trade protection.

Everyone I'm sure would like a mulligan on the Eriksson signing, but as Doc says he will be better next year, its a question of how much.

Sutter's contract continues to look like fair market value, as the NHL recognizes that the price of a UFA, good 3rd line center is $4-5 mil.

What I'm most excited about is the number of waivers-exempt players next year. They have farm depth at every position, all with significant upside (unlike the Megnas/Chaputs of the world):

FW
Boeser
Molino
Goldobin
Virtanen
Dahlen

G:
Demko

D:
Holm
Pedan
Subban
Brisebois
I'm happy with the signings if they actually use them as assets to trade in the future. None of them will do much to make the team good this year but they will be decent placeholders and allow some of the kids to develop in the AHL.

Camp will be interesting given so many of the players now need waivers. We will probably lose an asset or two on waivers before the season starts unless all of the kids are sent down.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Whats with Delzotto only scoring 2 powerplay points in 2 years? Is that right?
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Whats with Delzotto only scoring 2 powerplay points in 2 years? Is that right?
Sure sounds like a Vancouver Canucks puck moving PPQB to me.....MDZ will fit right in here.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:One thing about the signing spree is that it shows that vancouver hasn't yet become the franchise no UFAs want anything to do with.
Very true - that was my own view of the Canuck Luck with UFAs.

July 1 definitely went against the grain, with 3 middle-of-the-pack UFAs getting signed without over-spending or giving in on term and trade protection.
Worth keeping in mind these guys likely wouldn't have many suitors outside Vancouver. Gagner, while coming off the best season of his career, is also one season removed from the waiver wire. He wasn't likely to get a three-year deal anywhere else. Del Zotto's deal is fine, even given his injury history. I was preparing myself for it to be worse. I think by striking early, before the other teams see these guys as "Plan B" was probably a smart move.

Definitely a good day for Jim. Coupled with his deadline deals, these are the kind of moves I've been hoping to see since he got here, and certainly far and away better than the terrible offseason he had last year.

I'd like the Canucks to add some more sandpaper to the lineup. But given that it looks like most of the kids will start on the farm, they should look to add a goon or two for Utica. This will be a tough team to watch for the next couple years, they're likely to lose a lot, and I think they'll get bullied around the ice doing so.
Kenji
MVP
MVP

Post by Kenji »

Re toughness: in theory, rough play would result in the other team paying the price with our deadly power play.

You're right though, there aren't many guys who will make opponents keep their heads up.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Kenji wrote:Re toughness: in theory, rough play would result in the other team paying the price with our deadly power play.

You're right though, there aren't many guys who will make opponents keep their heads up.
Management seems to be in lockstep with Dude and Doc. They loathe hard nosed players.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Kenji wrote:Re toughness: in theory, rough play would result in the other team paying the price with our deadly power play.

Management seems to be in lockstep with Dude and Doc. They loathe hard nosed players.
Doc is on record as wanting more assholes, but he's lowered the decibel level on those calls, because it would lead to questions regarding his faith in Benning's plan.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Doc is on record as wanting more assholes, but he's lowered the decibel level on those calls, because it would lead to questions regarding his faith in Benning's plan.
I've been screaming for more assholes since Nonis was in charge!

I used to quote captain Naslund stating the need for dat dere.

GM Nonis acknowledged the hole... the asshole hole.

He kept promising to fill said hole but never really did.

Years later I was quoting captain Henrik stating the need for dat dere.

GM Gillis acknowledged the hole... the asshole hole.

He kept promising to fill said hole but never really did.

(other than 1 year of Torres and 1 year of Sestito)

Yeah, I argued hard against some of the top posters at the time (Potatoe, Coco, etc).

A lot of people were saying the game is changing, no need for assholes.

I distinctly remember debating this issue hard in the summers of 2010 + 2011.

So yes I agree about the need for assholes... especially when a team enters the contender phase.

But perhaps in the rebuild phase a team needs to evaluate young skill players first?

I suppose for now I'm going to have to make due with Dorsett, Guds... and a little Virtanen, Pedan.

Not sure why Bubbly Blob keeps saying I like a soft team, probably the booze talking...
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Definitely a good day for Jim. Coupled with his deadline deals, these are the kind of moves I've been hoping to see since he got here, and certainly far and away better than the terrible offseason he had last year.

I'd like the Canucks to add some more sandpaper to the lineup. But given that it looks like most of the kids will start on the farm, they should look to add a goon or two for Utica. This will be a tough team to watch for the next couple years, they're likely to lose a lot, and I think they'll get bullied around the ice doing so.
It's why adding depth more than necessary will be key, as there will be injuries so having a lot of NHL caliber vets and youth whom most have skill will be fun to watch as the season progresses, out of all these guys the likelihood of someone breaking out increases as well.

Also what's nice is gagner/mdz are just depth signings, unlike Eriksson, these guys don't have pressure to be all-stars.

The sandpaper bro's are Dorsett, Virtanen and LaBate.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I'm still wondering why Horvat's deal isn't done. That should have been locked up as soon as the playoffs were finished.

I'm also curious as to why no team, that is in rebuild mode like we are, has signed Draisaitl to a massive offer sheet.

I can't see Draisaitl or his agent being so loyal to the Oilers that they wouldn't put pen to paper on a 7 year deal worth $7.5+M. Especially considering that Chiarelli has gone on record stating he will match any offer sheet that Draisaitl signs. If he wants to stay in Edmonton it would make sense to sign for that if he believes his GM's statement.

Speculation I've read is that the Oilers should be thinking of paying him in that range. As a 1C he is probably worth more than that to a team like Vancouver.

Even an offer of $7.3M would sufficiently strap the Oilers if they matched, especially if you offer trade protection that they have to pony up to as well. They would now be paying $20M to 2 players, and we're seeing how well that's working for Chicago right now.....oh and the Oilers don't have a Keith or Seabrook on the blueline either.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote:I'm still wondering why Horvat's deal isn't done. That should have been locked up as soon as the playoffs were finished.

I'm also curious as to why no team, that is in rebuild mode like we are, has signed Draisaitl to a massive offer sheet.

I can't see Draisaitl or his agent being so loyal to the Oilers that they wouldn't put pen to paper on a 7 year deal worth $7.5+M. Especially considering that Chiarelli has gone on record stating he will match any offer sheet that Draisaitl signs. If he wants to stay in Edmonton it would make sense to sign for that if he believes his GM's statement.

Speculation I've read is that the Oilers should be thinking of paying him in that range. As a 1C he is probably worth more than that to a team like Vancouver.

Even an offer of $7.3M would sufficiently strap the Oilers if they matched, especially if you offer trade protection that they have to pony up to as well. They would now be paying $20M to 2 players, and we're seeing how well that's working for Chicago right now.....oh and the Oilers don't have a Keith or Seabrook on the blueline either.
Regardless if any team offers him $7.3M, if he is worth it then his agent will demand it from the Oilers.

This is why teams win with certain stars playing on ELC or playing above their pay grade.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Horvat's contact not being done is very concerning. It should be a no brained.

As fir Draisitl, we are seeing the old boys club in action here. Definitely an unwritten rule here between GMs.