The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
Soapy
MVP
MVP
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, BC

The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by Soapy » Tue May 02, 2017 12:01 am

Austin Matthews.

Its going to take some one to kill Matthews before some thing changes,

On Saturday Night.... or a playoff game... god forbid.

I was going to say McDavid but he will get clocked soon enough and out east they will say he had it coming with all his high fa-looting hockey playing.
Its just hockey....they will say.... to clobber a players head as he is trying to score.... part of the game...

until it happens to Matthews

Synchronize watches on my mark.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4665
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by micky107 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:37 am

Guess the name Crosby doesn't mean much anymore.

Most of the TV idiots saying "just a hockey play".

Ovechkin should have got a double minor for slashing.

Niskinen will probably get nothing. He should get 30 games without pay, starting right now.

No time to react. Bull-crap! All the time he needed to deliver the death blow. How convenient for him.

Notice how quick he's on the defensive about it. Guilty as sin.

I played the game at a time when there was twice the hitting and fighting but shit like this almost never happened.
If it did, one of us would be giving Niskinen a very long vacation.....
"evolution"

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17356
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by Strangelove » Tue May 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Soapy wrote:Austin Matthews.

Its going to take some one to kill Matthews
:)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17356
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by Strangelove » Tue May 02, 2017 3:04 pm

Yeah, Niskanen should have received a 2 game suspension... but nothing.

Thought they were cracking down on headshots accidental or otherwise. :?

(I thought it was on purpose, a opportunistic split-second decision)

Disagree about Ovie there Mick.

He only had one hand (high) on his stick one second before giving Crosby that tap.

So yeah, not much force on that.

What spun Sid around was Ovie's accidental skate-on-skate in my opinion.

They say Sid has a concussion and will miss the next game

... but he was reportedly doing well and in good spirits when he left after the game. :hmmm:

I'm wondering if the Pens are playing head games (<- wot!) here.

Sid was definitely shaken up, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does play the next game.

No matter though, Niskanen should have been suspended, watch for the retaliation...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4665
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by micky107 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:32 pm

I was exaggerating as always, but yeah, gotta start sending the message before it gets to the point the discipline
is so weak, it's worth taking.
Besides, kids see these things. (emulation ? )
"evolution"

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by ESQ » Tue May 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Strangelove wrote:
(I thought it was on purpose, a opportunistic split-second decision)
Watching it at full speed I didn't think it could have possibly been intentional. Crosby got the Bambi-legs and started falling as Niskanen brought his hands up. Had Crosby not gotten so wobbly so quickly, it would have been shoulder contact.

Nor do I think Niskanen put anything into the cross-check, I think he was just raising his hands to protect himself. His right hand isn't even closed on the stick. Had he been trying to cross-check he'd have taken Sid's head off in such a vulnerable position.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17356
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by Strangelove » Tue May 02, 2017 7:20 pm

ESQ wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
(I thought it was on purpose, a opportunistic split-second decision)
Watching it at full speed I didn't think it could have possibly been intentional. Crosby got the Bambi-legs and started falling as Niskanen brought his hands up. Had Crosby not gotten so wobbly so quickly, it would have been shoulder contact.

Nor do I think Niskanen put anything into the cross-check, I think he was just raising his hands to protect himself. His right hand isn't even closed on the stick. Had he been trying to cross-check he'd have taken Sid's head off in such a vulnerable position.
Agree to disagree.

Niskanen had his eyes on Crosby all the way in.

IMO he saw Crosby was going down and took the opportunity to feed Sid a little lumber.

True he didn't have the opportunity to put a lot into the crosscheck.

It's funny, I said "opportunistic" earlier this afternoon

... a few hours later Cherry kept harping on the word "opportunity" on Coach's Corner.

So yeah, Donald S. Cherry agrees with me all the way on this one bro!!

That's a good thing right? :look:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7558
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by Cornuck » Tue May 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Strangelove wrote:So yeah, Donald S. Cherry agrees with me all the way on this one bro!!

That's a good thing right? :look:
Sure... if you're a Image dinosaur! :D
2018-19 - The Road to 82

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17356
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by Strangelove » Tue May 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Maybe a bit of a dinosaur :D but watch for the retaliation I tells ya!
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17356
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by Strangelove » Sun May 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Strangelove wrote: They say Sid has a concussion and will miss the next game

... but he was reportedly doing well and in good spirits when he left after the game. :hmmm:

I'm wondering if the Pens are playing head games (<- wot!) here.

Sid was definitely shaken up, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does play the next game.
Well he did miss one game, but then to the shock of the hockey world returned for Game 5.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/cros ... wondering/
Crosby’s ‘small miracle’ of a comeback leaves us wondering

It was a miracle. Well, okay, something short of a miracle, but still.

You thought it was a semi-miracle when Sidney Crosby skated out onto the ice to take the opening faceoff of the fifth-but-not-last game of the Eastern Conference semifinal against the Washington Capitals at the Verizon Centre Saturday night, this just four days removed from coach Mike Sullivan declaring the Pittsburgh Penguins captain sidelined with what he unambiguously described as a concussion.

Off Crosby’s solid if not spectacular performance on Saturday, you had reason to view Sullivan’s announcement of his star’s concussion on Tuesday with skepticism.

The announcement might have been made in error — although if the coach gets it wrong, then who knows the straight goods?

The announcement might have been an error of his own making—although you’re left scratching your head trying to figure out exactly what he and the Penguins had to gain by subterfuge.

Maybe it was something no more complicated than an attempt to rattle the Capitals, to have them believe that Crosby was done for this series.
Strangelove. Just slightly ahead of our time.

It was just very odd that the Pittsburgh coach immediately declared a specific injury.

(in the super secretive NHL post-season)

Then, like I say, Sid was seen leaving the arena in good spirits.

I don't think he had a concussion at all!

I think his knee was bothering him a little, judging by the way he fell on that play.

Image
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4665
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by micky107 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:20 am

Monday, May 8th. Crosby crashes head and neck first into boards. Nobodies fault but it was bad enough to injure
anyone.
NO PROTOCOL was administered. Nothing.
Big money game. Series intense. Arguably, the biggest name in hockey.

No, they are not ready to take it seriously yet.
The "protocol" is for show.
"evolution"

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7930
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: The Day The NHL Changes Rules On Head Shots

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue May 09, 2017 4:16 pm

micky107 wrote:Monday, May 8th. Crosby crashes head and neck first into boards. Nobodies fault but it was bad enough to injure
anyone.
NO PROTOCOL was administered. Nothing.
Big money game. Series intense. Arguably, the biggest name in hockey.

No, they are not ready to take it seriously yet.
The "protocol" is for show.
It should be obvious that "the protocol" is for ass-covering in the face of lawsuits.

Post Reply