Prediction for Draft Spot - 2017 - with Poll

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Where will the Canucks pick?

1st
29%
2nd
15%
3rd
12%
4th
27%
5th
17%

Total votes: 41

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Prediction for Draft Spot - 2017 - with Poll

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

From that standpoint, I don't see why the Canucks would be afraid of a no-minors clause. They aren't going to waive him, so why not make him feel a bit more protected? Maybe they explained this to him (in Russian, hopefully) and he balked, worried they'd start him in the minors and keep him there most of the season. But it seems like an odd hill to die on, given that you'd have to offer him around the league after 1 more NHL game.
I agree it is odd, inexplicable even...

...which is why I don't believe these muck rakers trying to make this an issue.

Guy wanted to go back to Russia, have an easier life and a happy wife. It's far less shocking than Datsyuk bailing on the wings after 17 years and leaving them in cap hell, or Kovalchuk bailing on the Devils after signing the biggest contract ever.

So yeah, bullshit detector is going off on these "stories".
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Truly? The reason so many are looking for conspiracies is simple.
We, as a hockey market, are hurting and in general, angry.

Not just at the Tryamkin thing, (which couldn't have come at a worse time), but the lottery. The fact we will not be competing for a cup anytime soon. (Patience is not a forte the City of Vancouver is known for).
And, of course, the worst of all. Edmonton and Toronto are on their way.

No question this is going to test the fortitude of this market to the nth degree...
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Trymankin was not eligible to have a NMC. it wasn't something the Canucks could give even if they wanted to. Canucks I'm sure, as well as his agent explained all of his rights and options. The Canucks made there position clear and made a good offer. None of that was the issue since Trymankin turned down the offer and never countered. Utica wasn't an option BUT nor were they prepared to guarantee that as they do with ALL players that do not have a NMC.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Nedved not Jagr
For that draft year, I'd add:

Shawn Antoski not Keith Tkachuk
Jiri Slegr not Doug Weight
Nedved-Jagr (#5) Historically the best picks at fifth overall at the draft have been wingers with a few dmen and a one carey price.

Leads me to believe going with history we should draft BPA and that will be Owen Tippett, with his stocky frame, speed and skill he's the type to have a strong rookie season immediately.

http://milehighsticking.com/2017/04/27/ ... pers-shot/

He has comparisons with Kessel and a bit of Duchene.

At #5: Niederreiter, Kessel, Wheeler, Vanek, Jagr, Guerin,
And a whole lotta crappy centers and dmen at #5 sans Reilly/Alzner.

So if you truly want the BPA at #5 (not draft for need) you should take a look at the 6' 2"/200 Owen Tippett,
get him 30 goals and his value reigns supreme over the pretenders in the top 10.

Watch Tippett score like 25 goals next season in the NHL.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Aaronp18 wrote:5th for sure. :hmmm:
:crazy:
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

SKYO wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Nedved not Jagr
For that draft year, I'd add:

Shawn Antoski not Keith Tkachuk
Jiri Slegr not Doug Weight
Nedved-Jagr (#5) Historically the best picks at fifth overall at the draft have been wingers with a few dmen and a one carey price.

Leads me to believe going with history we should draft BPA and that will be Owen Tippett, with his stocky frame, speed and skill he's the type to have a strong rookie season immediately.

http://milehighsticking.com/2017/04/27/ ... pers-shot/

He has comparisons with Kessel and a bit of Duchene.

At #5: Niederreiter, Kessel, Wheeler, Vanek, Jagr, Guerin,
And a whole lotta crappy centers and dmen at #5 sans Reilly/Alzner.

So if you truly want the BPA at #5 (not draft for need) you should take a look at the 6' 2"/200 Owen Tippett,
get him 30 goals and his value reigns supreme over the pretenders in the top 10.

Watch Tippett score like 25 goals next season in the NHL.
I haven't seen anyone rank Tippett in the top 5. Why the need to reach........again ? Pick BPA whether that's Glass, Vilardi or one of the d men.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Bob McKenzie has Tippett at #6 and he usually has talks with the best scouts in the NHL.

ISS has Tippet #4.

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-31/

Glass is another beanpole like Sutter, he seems like a meh 2nd/3rd line center, same with Mittelstadt.

Tippett probably has the most upside among this middle of the top 10 draft group.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Difference is Glass is 6 ft 2 and 180 at 18. Sutter is 6ft 3 180 at 27. Glass just scored 95 points as an 18 year old. Sutters best year in junior was 57 points. Glass is far more skilled and everyone in his family is big , not stringy like Sutter.

Tippetts iq has also come into question. Benning already drafted a numbskull in 2014.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Glass might get taller, his dad and brother are all like 6'5 and 6'6, so he could be 6'4 - 6'5 -180 lbs pretty quick, so he's pretty skinny and apparently plays like it as Glass isn't physical, plus like Vilardi skating isn't their strong suit.
Vilardi vs Glass -

They should be within a few spots of each other at worst IMO. They're definitely the same tier, and I wouldn't bat an eye at taking one over the other. I actually think their general skill level is pretty equal, so is their IQ. Both are smart on and off the puck. But Glass is certainly a better skater in stride, though he still needs to work on his quickness too, though not to Vilardi's extent. Allows him to be better off the rush. Glass is more raw physically. But Vilardi also hasn't even played much center this year, and his projection there is worthy of debate, though he has the IQ to do it.

I imagine it mostly comes down to their below the dots game. Vilardi is an absolute force in the cycle game and winning battles. He plays far bigger and more of a power game, and we know how NHL people think. Glass is tall and engaged in the play always, but his strength and puck control is not exactly his best attribute. A lot of times, in the o-zone he really thrives off give and go plays so he doesn't get knocked off the puck or lose a battle.

Again, physically raw and underweight so more projection is in order. To me, you could argue either one. Will be interesting to see in several years.
Skating aside I think this team for the long haul could use more of a skilled built tank like Vilardi for the playoff grind, as we do have a lot of toothpick skinny forwards already.
Also why I like Tippett as well, he's already built for the pros, but unlike the former, Owen has explosive speed and is a great skater.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

SKYO wrote:.
Also why I like Tippett as well, he's already built for the pros, but unlike the former, Owen has explosive speed and is a great skater.
Shades of Virtanen.
Just going by the write ups my money is on middlestat. Looks like he'll be picked though so if it has to be glass or valardi i go for the kid who isnt a pencil
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...