2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Post by Hockey Widow »

Linden said yesterday, or was it today, that he doesn't expect the coaching search to drag on much longer. I think they are waiting a respectable amount of time before anointing Green. This way they can say they did an exhaustive search.
The only HW the Canucks need
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hockey Widow wrote:Linden said yesterday, or was it today, that he doesn't expect the coaching search to drag on much longer. I think they are waiting a respectable amount of time before anointing Green. This way they can say they did an exhaustive search.
HW, do u know that for sure? What if, and again IF, they had their eye on Crawford? They would have to wait at least another round before making the announcement. I remember in 2003, or maybe it was 2004, when the Canucks held their training camp in Vernon. Anyways, what stood out for me was coach Crawford putting the players thru an on-going back an forth line skate. The players were just bagged and i remember in particular Linden standing near where we were on the ice just a huffin and a puffin and i remember thinking, Linden is apt to frikin hate Crawford right about now! :D

As time went by, I think Crawford used Linden well in the line-up, as did Alain Vigneault shortly after.

Is any of my story relevant? Probably not. BUT, Linden does have some history with Crawford, and you never know, maybe it does have a bearing on his preferences? But then again, isn't this supposed to be Benning's call regardless?
cc oldtimer
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'd be fine with a return of the crow. All the better if Green took the assistant coaches job. I'm just not sure they want to lose Green and I'm not sure he would take the A job.

All I know is Linden said he doesn't expect the search to drag out much longer. Maybe he thought the leaves would beat Washington? :mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I wouldn't be able to handle another round of the screeching crow.

There I said it.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:I wouldn't be able to handle another round of the screeching crow.

There I said it.
I vote for the Green Party
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Not surprising, but Canucks will name Travis Green new head coach Monday or Tuesday. With first round over and no games until Wednesday, enough time has also gone by that they can legitimately call it a "process".

I just hope he's different from Willie and not loyal to a fault to the Megnas of the world.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

$lacker wrote:Not surprising, but Canucks will name Travis Green new head coach Monday or Tuesday. With first round over and no games until Wednesday, enough time has also gone by that they can legitimately call it a "process".

I just hope he's different from Willie and not loyal to a fault to the Megnas of the world.
Speculation or news?
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Well I guess all really good NHL coaches have to start somewhere. If it is Green, I sure hope he has a different style of play in mind. Something a little more up-beat out of the gate in the first periods.
It's been somewhat difficult to get much of a read on him with his work in Utica.
He'll have plenty of homework to do on getting to know the tendencies of all the NHL players.
Plenty of coach movement this year. Must be getting close to a record number.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'd be fine with a return of the crow. All the better if Green took the assistant coaches job. I'm just not sure they want to lose Green and I'm not sure he would take the A job.
I like this proposal - though to temper expectations on Green a bit, he hasn't been interviewed for any of the filled head coaching jobs - Kings, Stars, Knights - nor does he stand a chance on the mid-season/interim jobs - Habs, Bruins, Islanders, Blues. Prior to that he was passed over for Colorado, Flames, and Ducks.

So that's 1/3rd of the league that's had a crack at Green. Undoubtedly the Eakins and Desjardins debacles have tempered the demand for AHL coaches with no NHL experience...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I'd be fine with a return of the crow. All the better if Green took the assistant coaches job. I'm just not sure they want to lose Green and I'm not sure he would take the A job.
I like this proposal - though to temper expectations on Green a bit, he hasn't been interviewed for any of the filled head coaching jobs - Kings, Stars, Knights - nor does he stand a chance on the mid-season/interim jobs - Habs, Bruins, Islanders, Blues. Prior to that he was passed over for Colorado, Flames, and Ducks.

So that's 1/3rd of the league that's had a crack at Green. Undoubtedly the Eakins and Desjardins debacles have tempered the demand for AHL coaches with no NHL experience...
Didn't the Knights hire Gallant?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ESQ wrote:

Didn't the Knights hire Gallant?
They did. And the Kings hired Stevens, the Stars Hitchcock.

ESQ is pointing out that Green may have been considered, and passed over, for a number of NHL jobs.

I just hope whoever gets the job has a clear mandate to rebuild and some support from management. If we're going to lose, lose with guys like Boucher and Goldobin, not Chaput and Megna.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Hockey Widow wrote:
$lacker wrote:Not surprising, but Canucks will name Travis Green new head coach Monday or Tuesday. With first round over and no games until Wednesday, enough time has also gone by that they can legitimately call it a "process".

Speculation or news?
Was told it was news but then heard today from same source that there is something else going on in the front office, ie not everyone is on the same page. I would still expect announcement tomorrow but ugh, after a somewhat positive end to season with some hope for future, the mismanagement of Tryamkin and now this gives me some cause for concern. I don't think ownership and management will want more bad publicity after Tryamkin though and will push forward with Green, and then hope for a win in the lottery.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

My only worry with Green is the Eakins scenario, getting outmatched right away and losing the room.

Or will he be like Prince George's own Jon Cooper and be a great coach right off the bat in the pros.

I still prefer a coach who has put in his dues as an assistant coach in the NHL, that seems to be the best way to earn your stripes and experience to be a better coach when you take over a team....that's probably the discussion going on within management.

I guess the difference between Eakins and Cooper is Eakins was a AHL coach of different team affiliate other than the Oilers, while Cooper got to coach the young guys for Tampa in the AHL prior.

So Green has that going for him.
& that could be a boon for the diminutive Subban, so we can ice the smallest defense in the league!
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

VAN close to finalizing contract with Travis Green to be new head coach. Assuming no last-minute hiccups, announcement in next day or two.

- Bob McKenzie
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

BREAKING: Vancouver Canucks close to finalizing deal with Travis Green to be their new head coach (via @TSNBobMcKenzie)

Meet the new coach.....
2021 - Playoff Bound