2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2017/18 Canucks head coach search

Post by Hockey Widow »

Green season with Utica now done. Will we see a quick announcement.
The only HW the Canucks need
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Some "Rebuilding Teams/Transitioning/Lottery Teams" 2016 UFA signings

Buffalo - Kyle Okposo - $42 million - 7 years... 28 years old, 45 points in 65 games
Detroit - Thomas Vanek - $2.6 million - 1 year.. traded at the deadline, 48 points in 68 games
Detroit - Nielsen - $31.5 million - 6 years 41 points in 79 games
Vancouver - Eriksson - $36 million - 6 years 24 points in 65 games
Islanders - Chimera - $4.5 million - 2 years... 33 points in 82 games
Islanders - Ladd - $38.5 million - 7 years 31 points in 78 games
Dallas - Hamhius - $7.5 million - 2 years.... 16 points in 79 games
Coyotes - McGinn - $10 million - 3 years... 17 in 72 games

Benning and Linden are an "Island" onto themselves.

The Bottom line, rebuilding, re-tooling whatever the fuck you wanna moan about it, no team goes into season, good or not so good NOT wanting to win, especially in the fickle market that Vancouver is. IF you think so, you are an idiot and probably never played sports or owned a business.
Holy Fuck dude, you really tried hard on this one!!

Too bad nearly every deal is better than the one Eriksson signed.

Ladd is the only comparable, and he's cheaper and produced at a higher rate. lol sad effort on your part.
Hopefully we find a way to unload Eriksson next year. Maybe it was a pressure signing but it didn't work and doubt it will. Tired of hearing he's slow to start with a new team as if it's happened many times. No, once before he came to us. 30 years old and 4 kids. Fine, but he shouldn't have used them as an excuse. Don't see this guy as a mentoring type. Makes it worse if the team has to go out of it's way to try and figure out ways to bolster his confidence again next year. Take 70 points for me to feel better about this acquisition.
Last edited by Micky on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Green season with Utica now done. Will we see a quick announcement.
ZCS Lions of the National League A in Switzerland? the marc crawford route.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Hitchcock already mentally preparing the Dallas Stars leaders such as Benn, Stars want to win now and need help on defense, cue Edler trade.

Todd Reirden take notice of the vet..

https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/benn-rea ... -288877584
Stars coach Ken Hitchcock loves to talk. Stars captain Jamie Benn, well, not as much. Benn has been more of a lead-by-example kind of guy, picking his spots when to exert some vocal leadership. But Hitchcock wants Benn to be more vocal as he enters the fifth year of his captaincy with the Stars.

"He's quiet because he only thinks it is not his place, but now he has found out it is his place," said Hitchcock. "In this generation, dealing with millennials, you can't have leaders that aren't vocal. They have to be vocal. He's understanding. Some of it is things that I have learned that could help him, but he is going to become a vocal, determined leader and I think it is going to help us go in a positive direction."

That's fine with Benn, who said he is ready to grow more and expand his responsibilities as a leader under Hitchcock, who was named the team's head coach last week.

"There are steps I need to take as a leader. I think Hitch is going to help me out in that department," Benn said. "There's going to be a lot more responsibility, and these are steps that I need to make as a captain and as a leader in helping this team win."
I think Stecher is the most vocal on the team aha, loves to motivate and talk plans on the ice/bench.
(not saying captain, just saying)
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Skyo; That last sentence is bang on and you have no idea how glad I am to see someone else noticing that.
I've seen it right from training camp. He is 100% invested and motivated. If something goes wrong with his own game, he will go to no end to rectify it. He sometimes thinks he can do too much but I'll take that attitude.
He and Edler worked hard on their pairing and contrary to what some, (one) around here would say, get along very well. All the D-pairings, by the second half of the year, were under tremendous fire because the forwards were not picking up their assignments when the game transitioned back to the defensive zone, (which was a lot).
Maybe bad coaching or simply a matter of so many revolving line mates on the forward lines.
"evolution"
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Maybe bad coaching or simply a matter of so many revolving line mates on the forward lines.
Aren't those somewhat linked culprits?

The Canucks have become an organization that seems notorious for punishing young talent for mistakes and turning a blind eye towards certain "favourites" who should see regular benching.

AV did it. Willie did it. 2006/07 - 2016/17. A full decade, and the only coach who didn't play favourites when it came to a good dressing down, or a spot on the pine, was Torts.....and he lasted one season. Torts made a few weird calls behind the bench, but his only actual mistake that stands out was when he started Lack over Lou at the outdoor game.

There's no defending his having Sully coach while he chilled at home in Point Roberts.

Torts was proof that too many of our vets and leaders can't handle the heat in the kitchen. A pressure cooker is too much for them.....but I guess that's why they don't want to play anywhere but Vancouver now, where the expectations are rock bottom for the next while.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Meds wrote:
There's no defending his having Sully coach while he chilled at home in Point Roberts.

Talking on his 1985 huge cordless house phone in his plush robe smokin big cigars and sipping whiskey from jars and shit :lol:
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

LOL; Elliot Friedman doing his "thing", stirring shit up.
Says Canucks have been talking to Ralph Krueger about the coaching job.
No idea if that's true.
Krueger said he's had some interesting chats, whatever that means.

Maybe the important thing here is to realize just how important the Sedin's pre-game hall-soccer really is.
The Silly Season is at hand..
"evolution"
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Kruger said he's been talking to the Canucks for weeks. He's an intelligent man and he knows hockey. I'd have no problem with him as a coach , manager or as president.I think he is making a lot more money as chairman of Southampton though so not sure he'd be overly interested.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Kruger said he's been talking to the Canucks for weeks. He's an intelligent man and he knows hockey. I'd have no problem with him as a coach , manager or as president.I think he is making a lot more money as chairman of Southampton though so not sure he'd be overly interested.
Krueger to work with Linden would be preferable in some executive role.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

SKYO wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Kruger said he's been talking to the Canucks for weeks. He's an intelligent man and he knows hockey. I'd have no problem with him as a coach , manager or as president.I think he is making a lot more money as chairman of Southampton though so not sure he'd be overly interested.
Linden can be head of hotdog sales. If a guy like Kruger comes in and Benning ,Weisbrod and Linden still have jobs they should just stay the hell out of his way.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I suspect Green head coach (should be Sutter) Krueger associate coach with Baummer, and Lowry head coach in Utica.
We are all Jim Benning.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Linden can be head of hotdog sales. If a guy like Kruger comes in and Benning ,Weisbrod and Linden still have jobs they should just stay the hell out of his way.
Yeah somewhere in management would be preferable with his hockey mind, apparently Krueger is a Tim Robbins motivational rah rah type. I think he'd be great to help out in the exec role to show TL how it's done.

But not as coach though, I think management should go for a younger coach whose put in his dues as an assistant/associate NHL level experience, a lot of the coaches who went on to win Cups started off their careers learning from a veteran coach, learning how to run a team that includes veterans and youth.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

SKYO wrote: apparently Krueger is a Tim Robbins motivational rah rah type
:lol:
Well he did dig his way out of edmontoilet long before his sentence was up...
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

No big surprise but John Stevens is head coach of the Kings.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/l-ki ... ead-coach/