The Sedins - time for them to hang em up?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Sedins - time for them to hang em up?

Postby nuckster » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 am

Yes, we all love and appreciate what the Sedin's have done for Vancouver over the years, but lets face it, they're mere reflections of what was, and now they're old 'has beens' trying to make a case for hanging around yet another year. Their time has come and gone, and the writing is on the wall. If not for their contracts (and another frikin 12 million for the pair of them), they should opt for the Naslund class act and acknowledge when enough is enough - time to retire.

For a rebuilding team they are dead-weights taking up roster space that prevent us from being able to slot in more 'up-an-comers' for appraisals. Despite the reasons for substantiating an immediate retirement, they will continue to remain here for another year and take up space. The whole sentiment about having them around for helping to create a 'winning culture' is a bunch of malarky. I think it was just this last week when Daniel was quoted as saying that it was due to the young rookies being brought into the line-up this year that has accounted for the Canucks failure to succeed. Well ofcourse there's some truth to that, but it's equally true that his and Hank's production has dropped off to the point where it has become laughable to justify paying them the money that they're getting.

Two years ago their production dropped off after Xmas; 1 year ago it dropped off before Xmas; this year they never really got it going other than the odd game earlier on in the season. Jeese; what's next year going to look like!? To have them continue on as our powerplay go-tos would be absurd, yet, if they're around next year, that's probably what we'll see - putting us down into 29th in the league again. No siree, we need to 'cut bait' and move on. The Sedin era has come and gone

Here's where RD is quite justified to lament about Gillis' contract negotiations. The situation would be so much easier to deal with if we weren't on the hook for yet another year at 12 million for the pair of them. Yet looking back, i recall that much of Vancouver drew a collective sigh of relief knowing that they were going to be locked up for the long term. It's just a little shitty contending with end days of that contract - hence my lament.
cc oldtimer
nuckster
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: The Sedins - time for them to hang em up?

Postby SKYO » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:52 am

The major problem is they've been used as 1st liners up until this year pretty much, it wasn't till other teams started to focus on Baertschi and Horvat that the Sedins have been relegated to 2nd liners where THEY said they should be for this team to be better, it's what they believe needs to happen for team success.

By all sounds of it they sound committed to play next season as that's what they continue saying this season, talking about how the young guys and themselves have to play much better next year.

The next coach, whoever it is, right from training camp onwards have to lay down the law right off the bat and say the Sedins will be regulated to secondary supporting roles from here on out.

That has to be understood right from the get go.

So then the focus should be on how can we surround the youth with quality players to work with them for a new start, and not focus on the sedins on whose going to play with them and what QB they need, what right shot guy, that's secondary now to what we can do to help the young guns.

To me that'll be tough for a coach as they love to play seasoned vet's who make the better % of safe plays in key moments, but yeah a vet NHL coach whose worked with vets and talented youth before and has good systems to help our young defense should be an important step.
Canucks 2017/18
A NEW HOPE
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby CrzyCanuck » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:41 am

I think the Sedins are still good for 50 points when given the right linemate.

This year has been a total chaos. They cannot really babysit the pluggers like what they used to do before.
You can still put a fire hydrant there, but the pass will never get there anymore. (Burrows is more of an AI-powered fire hydrant)

An offensively gifted young player might just be the catalsy to get them up and running again.

I'd like to see a full season of:

Sedins + Goldobin for even strength
Sedins + Boeser for powerplay

But then of course, both Goldobin and Boeser need to make the team next year for this to happen.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
CrzyCanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:49 am

Isnt the combined cap hit 14 million, not 12?

At any rate, I remember when Gillis took over and he was asked about the twins. And his reply, completely paraphrased, was that although they were special players he wasn't sure they were the type of players to build the core around. He damn near got crucified. He tried to explain what he meant, yes first line players, yes deserving of new contracts, but you build around different players. After the initial shock the story died. The twins got re-signed. You can thank Burke for Gillis throwing the extra million each their way. Most people were relieved when they signed, but most also felt the term was one year too long. Word was the twins were prepared for a shorter term but that's all on Gillis.

They are well past their prime. We all know that. But I doubt they retire and I doubt we ask them to waive their NMC. Not until Dank gets 1000 points anyway. The team is planning a big celebration once both twins have reached that milestone. The team will want that PR. The twins deserve that recognition.

What I think most if not all will agree on is that we need to transition them off the number 1 PP, we need to transition them to a secondary role, we need to stop using them as the go to guys when we need a goal in the last couple of minutes, we need to shelter them defensively more. We can't take away salary or cap, we are stuck with that.

But we simply cannot blame them for the demise of this franchise. That would ignore all of the other problems. Their cap won't hurt us next year, then it's off the books. By that time only Luongo will be left on the buyout/retention list as well. The year after Edler comes off the books.

The boat anchor will be Eriksson. But I think in two more years his trade protection goes to a modified NTC so we may be able to move him if we need/want to.

And I guess you missed the part during the season where both Dank and Hank said they have made no decision on retiring and would wait until their contracts are up to decide and if they still feel they can play and the Canucks want them they would look at doing a one year deal.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:53 am

CrzyCanuck wrote:I think the Sedins are still good for 50 points when given the right linemate.

This year has been a total chaos. They cannot really babysit the pluggers like what they used to do before.
You can still put a fire hydrant there, but the pass will never get there anymore. (Burrows is more of an AI-powered fire hydrant)

An offensively gifted young player might just be the catalsy to get them up and running again.

I'd like to see a full season of:

Sedins + Goldobin for even strength
Sedins + Boeser for powerplay

But then of course, both Goldobin and Boeser need to make the team next year for this to happen.

Granlund was doing nicely there before he shut it down for the season. The advantage of having a Burrows or Hansen there was you had a winger who was fast and defensively responsible. Not sure if that translates into a Goldobin, yet.

Honestly if all we fix are special teams we will see a huge huge improvement in the standings. Get Edler out of there on the PP and find that mix on the PK. If we can climb back into the top 10-15 in each we make the playoffs baby!

F/O this year we were top ten, what an improvement. Again, fix the PP and PK and watch us win more and climb the standings. We can hold our own 5-5, not the best, not the worst, average.

Oh, and we improved in loser points as well this year.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby rikster » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:39 am

Yes, we all love and appreciate what the Sedin's have done for Vancouver over the years

You have a strange way of showing it...

The NHL is an inflationary business and in any inflationary business the time will come when the cost of the employee exceeds the value that employee gives his employer...

It's not just the Canucks;

The Wings will be paying a 36 year old Zetterberg $6.1 for 4 more years and a 36 year old Kronwell $4.75 for 2 more years

The Bruins paid a 40 year old Chara $6.9 this year and he has another year on his contract

San Jose paid 37 year old Thornton $6.75 this year and a 37 year old Marleau $6.6

Chicago has another 4 more years on the 38 year old Hossa contract at $5.275

Rangers and 35 year old Lundvquist have another 4 years at $8.5 after this year

Not sure why anyone would fret about contracts next season given where the team will be against the cap ceiling and with Edler and Eriksson being the only other over 30 players on the team it needs the quality of character and positive influence in the room that the twins provide....

As a season ticket holder, I'm looking forward to next season and the development of the youth and I would renew just to see the twins last season in their careers ..At this point it's not about points or salary costs its just sitting back and showing appreciation for the 17 great years they gave this organization....

Take care...
rikster
MVP
MVP

Postby bckev » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:20 am

well said
bckev
CC Veteran

Postby Uncle dans leg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:39 am

No way in hell they walk away from their last year. Theyll be back and the team will again challenge for the top percentile in the lottery once again.
Welcome back to 1984...the distant horizon looks like their may be a hint of light but until they can dig up at least one legit top liner it'll be much the same as it was back then...
nobody forks...with the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Postby micky107 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 am

rikster wrote:
Yes, we all love and appreciate what the Sedin's have done for Vancouver over the years

You have a strange way of showing it...

The NHL is an inflationary business and in any inflationary business the time will come when the cost of the employee exceeds the value that employee gives his employer...

It's not just the Canucks;

The Wings will be paying a 36 year old Zetterberg $6.1 for 4 more years and a 36 year old Kronwell $4.75 for 2 more years

The Bruins paid a 40 year old Chara $6.9 this year and he has another year on his contract

San Jose paid 37 year old Thornton $6.75 this year and a 37 year old Marleau $6.6

Chicago has another 4 more years on the 38 year old Hossa contract at $5.275

Rangers and 35 year old Lundvquist have another 4 years at $8.5 after this year

Not sure why anyone would fret about contracts next season given where the team will be against the cap ceiling and with Edler and Eriksson being the only other over 30 players on the team it needs the quality of character and positive influence in the room that the twins provide....

As a season ticket holder, I'm looking forward to next season and the development of the youth and I would renew just to see the twins last season in their careers ..At this point it's not about points or salary costs its just sitting back and showing appreciation for the 17 great years they gave this organization....

Take care...

I think the ridiculously expensive, long term contracts handed out to aging veterans, even if they have been elite players, IS ridiculous and is very much hindering the game in general. Not to mention the fact that it makes it close to impossible for teams to pay really good mid-range contracts to very good players that, at any time, could still turn out to be great players.
Pro Sports is not a Fairy-tale and should not be operated that way.
Respect is great but there are other ways to show it.
Compromising team success and growth should not be one of them, Sorry...
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Cornuck » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:11 am

micky107 wrote:I think the ridiculously expensive, long term contracts handed out to ...

...hockey players in general is a joke - but these are the realities we deal with. Wishing otherwise won't help.

The Sedins are not going anywhere. We have them next year, and I'll be able to enjoy watching them play what will likely be their last year. They will be our second line, and might even have a goal scored to work with next year.

I'm expected them to come out next year fully motivated. I hope they surprise us (in a good way).
2016 - The Road to 65™
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby UWSaint » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 am

The Canucks don't have 12 NHL forwards in their system, even with the Sedins. The Canucks don't have 6 clear top 6 forwards without the Sedins. And top 9 minutes are enough to develop top 6 skills -- it isn't like there are other skillful players to play with....

The Canucks are not going to be spending to the cap, even with the Sedins.

There is no internal cap in place, to my knowledge. If the Canucks could spend into the playoffs and maintain the rebuild, they would. But they can't, because they can't do both.

Henrik and Daniel are unlikely to be bad influences.

You saw how the team tanked when Burrows and Hansen left. This is because the team had poor depth. Cutting the Sedins stresses this further.

If these facts were different, the proposition would be worth entertaining seriously, though I still think there is something to be said for seeing your contractual obligations through when it comes to the franchise's best ever players because (1) it is the right thing to do and (2) to do otherwise sends a bad signal to other players considering Vancouver.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
CC Veteran

Postby Madcombinepilot » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Give the twins some talent to play with (Gretzky couldn't make Chaput a better player!!) and they will be 50-60 point players. They can decide what they want after that.

Chaput and Megna make everyone worse on this team.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with untill you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Postby herb » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:28 pm

As recently as last week, Henrik Sedin said that they will play next year and they do not want to play anywhere else. They would consider playing in Vancouver beyond next year if the Canucks see a future for them.

They are not being traded. They will not retire early. To paraphrase UW, this team would be a bad AHL team without them.
herb
CC Legend

Postby rockalt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:08 pm

I don't understand the sentiment that the Sedins are somehow dragging this team down or should retire early. It makes absolutely no sense.

Let's say we save the 14 million in cap space next year. Who are we going to spend it on? Would those players be so much better than the Sedins so as to catapult this team into contender status? No? Then what's the point? This team will be uncompetitive next year with or without the Sedins. May as well keep them as your second line in a leadership role.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Ya, it's crazy talk getting rid of the twins. Unless someone makes an offer we can't refuse and they waive it just isn't going to happen.

The team will build the PR around the 1000 point thing. There's money in that.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Next

Return to Canucks Corner Chat