Expansion draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Expansion draft

Post by ESQ »

5thhorseman wrote: True dat. What is Sbisa worth at next year's trade deadline? Not a 2nd unless he's had a terrific year.
Its actually, a 2nd + Gaunce for Sbisa, right?

That's why I have such a hard time believing teams are giving up a 1st rounder + another roster player to prevent losing one player. 2nds and 3rds I could believe, but a team like NYI is losing a good player regardless of their side deal, so why compound it by giving up a 1st?

Same with Columbus, who made the playoffs, won a single game, and now won't have a pick until #84 if the rumours are true. Plus losing a decent developing forward in Karlsson (according to the mock drafts).

I also find it interesting that virtually every mock draft has the Knights taking Fleury. With the number of goalies hitting the market (and exposed in the draft), and established vets going for a conditional 2nd and b-level prospect (Smith), I'd be very surprised if McPhee decides to do the Penguins a favour and take Fleury over Rust.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Heres a mock draft from a Sportsnet article this morning...
Why does their defense team look better than ours already?

Funny side not is the criticism of the flamers for not waiting til after the dust settles to trade for Smith

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/asse ... ock-draft/

James Neal Nashville Predators F 29
Mike Cammalleri New Jersey Devils F 35
Reilly Smith Florida Panthers F 26
David Perron St.Louis Blues F 29
Michael Grabner New York Rangers F 29
Cody Eakin Dallas Stars F 26
Lee Stempniak Carolina Hurricanes F 34
Michael Raffl Philadelphia Flyers F 28
Benoit Pouliot Edmonton Oilers F 30
Marko Dano Winnipeg Jets F 22
William Karlsson Columbus Blue Jackets F 24
Charles Hudon Montreal Canadiens F 22
Brendan Leipsic Toronto Maple leaves F 23
Brendan Gaunce Vancouver Canucks F 23
Teemu Pulkkinen Arizona Coyotes F 25
Hunter Shinkaruk Calgary Flames F 22
Nicolas Kerdiles Anaheim Ducks F 23

Player Team Position Age
Matt Dumba Minnesota Wild D 22
Nate Schmidt Washington Capitals D 25
Calvin de Haan New York Islanders D 26
David Schlemko San Jose Sharks D 30
Colin Miller Boston Bruins D 24
Trevor van Riemsdyk Chicago Blackhawks D 25
Slater Koekkoek Tampa Bay Lightning D 23
Frederik Claesson Ottawa Senators D 24
Brayden McNabb Los Angeles Kings D 26

Player Team Position Age
Marc-Andre Fleury Pittsburgh Penguins G 32
Petr Mrazek Detroit Red Wings G 25
Calvin Pickard Colorado Avalanche G 25
Linus Ullmark Buffalo Sabres G 23
Fixed.
What'll really hang you head is if they kick the fuck out of the canucks all year...and it very well can happen. We're in the same division and they are already shaping into a better group on paper. Fuck around...

This might be the year I say no to center ice
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote: What'll really hang you head is if they kick the fuck out of the canucks all year...and it very well can happen. We're in the same division and they are already shaping into a better group on paper. Fuck around...

This might be the year I say no to center ice
Chin Up UDL, they may be a better team on paper, and the Canucks are certainly going to be bad, but there's all the off-ice/culture stuff that Vegas will need to start from scratch. Even if the Canucks are a bad team, they still have established leadership and a leadership group.

Some of those guys are going to be having a blast in Vegas because it's Vegas, others will be doing their best to play their way to another team, most of the higher-end guys will understand they're not there for the long-term.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Remember the goal here is parity and the NHL wants Vegas to be mid pack from the start.

One more team finishing ahead of the Canucks shouldn't dampen your spirits. Look to see who makes the team from training camp, and which kids look likely to get a regular shift - that should determine your watching habits, the the NHL's money-grab-parity-watering-down-expansion™.

This could be an interesting year for the Twinsition - more PP time for Horvat's line will make games more bearable.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

ESQ wrote:Its actually, a 2nd + Gaunce for Sbisa, right?
Yes, that would be the choice, lose one or the other. Can't see Sbisa being worth it, and I consider Gaunce to be a throwaway!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reading a lot of mock expansion drafts and pundits. A large number have Las Vegas selecting Boucher from the Canucks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:
ESQ wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:Is it just me or are these first rounders being given up a little too cheaply? Sure, they are mid to late 1st-rounders, so maybe equivalent to the Canucks trading their 2nd to protect Sbisa? Would you do it?
I agree, especially since you're still losing a player. I was under the impression that the rumours of 1st rounders going to LV is still unconfirmed?

So giving up a 2nd and Sbisa and the return is losing Gaunce? No thanks.
True dat. What is Sbisa worth at next year's trade deadline? Not a 2nd unless he's had a terrific year.
Its actually, a 2nd + Gaunce for Sbisa, right?

That's why I have such a hard time believing teams are giving up a 1st rounder + another roster player to prevent losing one player. 2nds and 3rds I could believe, but a team like NYI is losing a good player regardless of their side deal, so why compound it by giving up a 1st?
Pretty sure these trades are worded something like this:

Canucks trade 55th overall pick on the condition Knights draft Dereck Dorsett in the XD.

(Canucks would not lose any of Sbisa, Gaunce, or Chaput, etc)

(so Canucks would not just be "preventing losing one player")

This is why certain teams are willing to trade 1st round picks to Vegas prior to the XD...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Pretty sure these trades are worded something like this:

Canucks trade 55th overall pick on the condition Knights draft Dereck Dorsett in the XD.

This is why certain teams are willing to trade 1st round picks to Vegas prior to the XD...
My way of looking at it is:
- going out the door is Dorsett plus 55th OA.

The return is:
- Luca Sbisa stays on the team.

If you don't do the deal, you keep Dorsett AND the pick, and give up Sbisa.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Hockey Widow wrote:Reading a lot of mock expansion drafts and pundits. A large number have Las Vegas selecting Boucher from the Canucks.
I saw one mock draft even had Jack Skille picked :shock: Not giving LV much more than waiver wire pickups and PTOs. :lol:

But rather than being an indictment of our organisational depth, this really goes to show how few veterans we have left, relative to other teams.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Pretty sure these trades are worded something like this:

My way of looking at it is:
- going out the door is Dorsett plus 55th OA.

The return is:
- Luca Sbisa stays on the team.

If you don't do the deal, you keep Dorsett AND the pick, and give up Sbisa.
Dorsett is just an example... a team might negotiate a 1st... for... player they want to dump in the XD.

You were suggesting teams are giving up 1st-rounders just to protect one player in the XD.

(leaving many players for Vegas to select from... from that team)

Just trying to clarify: The exact player Vegas will take is negotiated in these trades.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

The only guy I don't want to lose in the XD is Boucher. All the rest can go. Boucher is good for 12-15 goals a year on this squad. Not great, but serviceable and brings an element of offensive flair to this anemic bunch.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

There should be no concern about anyone the Canucks lose. Trading away Hansen and Burrows for prospects that don't need protection removed any concern about this expansion draft. There is no team offering less than the Canucks.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote:
Just trying to clarify: The exact player Vegas will take is negotiated in these trades.
Ah okay, gotcha.
Cherry Picker wrote:There should be no concern about anyone the Canucks lose. Trading away Hansen and Burrows for prospects that don't need protection removed any concern about this expansion draft. There is no team offering less than the Canucks.
WE'RE NUMBER 1! WE'RE NUMBER 1!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote:Remember the goal here is parity and the NHL wants Vegas to be mid pack from the start.

One more team finishing ahead of the Canucks shouldn't dampen your spirits. Look to see who makes the team from training camp, and which kids look likely to get a regular shift - that should determine your watching habits, the the NHL's money-grab-parity-watering-down-expansion™.

This could be an interesting year for the Twinsition - more PP time for Horvat's line will make games more bearable.
Every year i argue with myself about center ice and every year when the early bird discount is about to end i break down and cave. Watching this team has become like kicking heroine or something...i know its bad for me but i just cant quit lol

If this team can somehow add a top level 1st line prospect like Vilardi then I'll relax and give in to my addiction once again but if its more 20 minutes a night Sedin yawn hockey then this might be the year i kick the habit
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Knights have six trades lined up maybe one more.
Scott Burnside‏:

Golden Knights have at least six transactions completed with teams. Still talking to a couple of clubs including Toronto.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.