Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10476
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:33 am

I’d like to see the “good teams” that Stecher is a 4/5 on. Certainly not Nashville, Tampa, Boston, St Louis, any of the Cali teams, Toronto... it’s doubtful he is in Philly or NJ either. Carolina? Nope. Pittsburgh? Nope. Washington, Vegas? Lol

I don’t hate on the guy but he plays big minutes here because he plays on the leagues shittiest blueline. You could replace every d man on the roster with a minimum wage scrub outside of Tanev and Edler and the d wouldn’t be any worse as a group but it would be cheaper.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2664
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Madcombinepilot » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:37 am

Meds wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:05 am
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:14 pm
I am not upset by this. It shows that Benning can learn. I was worried that Stetcher would get Hutton money, which is too much.

This is not a bad signing.
Hutton gets $2.80M per year.

Stecher gets $2.33M per year.

The difference really isn’t that much.
If stetch was getting 3 mil, people here would be losing their shit.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10476
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:43 am

All the rotten contracts add up MCP. What if lightning strikes in the 19-20 season and the team is actually competitive? They have to re up Boeser and due to the fact they have 40 odd million tied up in bottom end scrubs they can’t buck up for some help on the blueline or down the middle. The constant over paying of 10-50 % for marginal non core players needs to stop.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2664
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Madcombinepilot » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:25 am

Blob, I agree with you. The rotten ones do add up.. but we are no talking Erickson terrible with this one.

My comment that at 2.3, Benning seems to Be getting it under control. He didn't give the extra million to Stetcher. The problem with being a team that has been on the bottom of the standings, is that nobody really wants to play for a rebuilding team (at least very few do), and you have to overpay (more than the usual overpayments) to get UFA to come here, and to get RFA to stay. 2.8 for Bhutt is about a million to much. For Stetcher, 2.3 over 2 years (with the second year the expansion year so we don't have to protect him) is close enough on salary (I am not going to quibble over a couple hundred thousand) and bang on for term.

Like I said in my origînal post, Benning seems to be learning to negotiate a bit.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11355
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by RoyalDude » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:20 am

Stech is a good example in the room representing, determination, preparation, drive, heart and wanting to be the best player he can be, he’s an obstacle overcomer, you need that shit in the room, and plenty of it, instead of the lazy, smiley, happy-go-lucky good time Charlie’s like Jake, Ben, Blob McKenzie and Olli.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5836
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Meds » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 am

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:37 am
Meds wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:05 am
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:14 pm
I am not upset by this. It shows that Benning can learn. I was worried that Stetcher would get Hutton money, which is too much.

This is not a bad signing.
Hutton gets $2.80M per year.

Stecher gets $2.33M per year.

The difference really isn’t that much.
If stetch was getting 3 mil, people here would be losing their shit.
This is probably true.

But the difference in their respective salaries is only 0.6% of the total salary cap, so they aren't that far apart.

I'm fine with it, but I would prefer to see one of Stecher or Hutton dealt for something else. Hutton is bigger, but hasn't shown the compete level that Stecher has, they both make the same number of mistakes, or at least it feels that way, but Hutton has had an extra season here, and has taken steps backwards, while Troy has made subtle progress and certainly not regressed.

Hutton's size, skating, and potential to recapture his rookie season form with a fresh start, probably make him an easier piece to trade.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7914
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:50 am

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:25 am
Like I said in my origînal post, Benning seems to be learning to negotiate a bit.
Well I should hope so, he held all the cards in this negotiation.

I'm curious what Stecher's camp would have asked for in arbitration. Maybe he points to Hutton's deal and the Canucks probably look to Pouliot?

Stetcher isn't twice the dman Pouliot is (not even sure he's better).

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17012
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Strangelove » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:50 am
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:25 am
Like I said in my origînal post, Benning seems to be learning to negotiate a bit.
Well I should hope so, he held all the cards in this negotiation.

I'm curious what Stecher's camp would have asked for in arbitration. Maybe he points to Hutton's deal and the Canucks probably look to Pouliot?

Stetcher isn't twice the dman Pouliot is (not even sure he's better).
The arbitrator looks at what comparable players around the league get.

Toy Stretcher will get a million less than the average NHLer for 2 years.

Overall he had a crappy season last year according to my eye

... but we need to keep him around for at least a year or two for a few reasons.

And hey, he's still plenty young enough (and has the work ethic) to improve...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7914
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:18 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:50 am
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:25 am
Like I said in my origînal post, Benning seems to be learning to negotiate a bit.
Well I should hope so, he held all the cards in this negotiation.

I'm curious what Stecher's camp would have asked for in arbitration. Maybe he points to Hutton's deal and the Canucks probably look to Pouliot?

Stetcher isn't twice the dman Pouliot is (not even sure he's better).
The arbitrator looks at what comparable players around the league get.

Toy Stretcher will get a million less than the average NHLer for 2 years.

Overall he had a crappy season last year according to my eye

... but we need to keep him around for at least a year or two for a few reasons.

And hey, he's still plenty young enough (and has the work ethic) to improve...
I don't disagree. I just don't see an arbitrator giving him any more than what he got.

It's another slight overpayment for a depth player, nothing to get bent out of shape about.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9106
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by SKYO » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:27 pm

I can see some Jared Spurgeon potential in Stecher, not gonna be a killer QB type, but a smart, hard working 2nd pairing right side dman who can put up some points and hopefully he can get some powerplay time next season to further help that cause.
But for years now, people have been comparing Stecher to Jared Spurgeon, Minnesota’s 5-9 big-minute blue-liner whose first full year in the league looked nearly identical to Stecher’s rookie season.

The pair share the same agent.

“He’s the guy I try to model my game after a lot,” Stecher said. “I had inside access to him. I could talk to him. I got game film on him. That helped me a lot.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... to-canucks
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2180
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:44 pm

I'm glad Troy Soldier resigned; it's a reasonable contract for a player of his age. He is on the small side for my liking, but he has decent all around skills. I think it's good to have homegrown guys on the team who have a Canuck's logo tattooed on their butt and bleed Canuck colours (Jake is one also). Man, seeing pics of him as a kid with Canuck jerseys, going to games and a Canuck puckhead hat makes me think, we gotta keep this guy.

Stecher also has great determination and a great work ethic, so I think it'll help him improve his game. We have only begun to see what he can do in the NHL and I'm still hoping he can become a poor man's Brian Rafalski.




User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4113
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by micky107 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:44 pm

Benning will be hard pressed to throw in the towel on any of his college treasures.
It really is that simple.
"evolution"

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4646
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:11 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:20 am
Stech is a good example in the room representing, determination, preparation, drive, heart and wanting to be the best player he can be, he’s an obstacle overcomer, you need that shit in the room, and plenty of it, instead of the lazy, smiley, happy-go-lucky good time Charlie’s like Jake, Ben, Blob McKenzie and Olli.
This is true. He does bleed green and blue and heart can carry a mediocre player much farther than skill without heart.

That said, Lloyd indicated that Stetchers' analytics are in line with a #4/5 on a good team...this i would love to see in some sort of verfiable format. The eye test tells me that just isnt the case but would welcome being proven wrong.
nobody forks...with the jesus

Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Lloyd Braun » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:56 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:11 am
This is true. He does bleed green and blue and heart can carry a mediocre player much farther than skill without heart.

That said, Lloyd indicated that Stetchers' analytics are in line with a #4/5 on a good team...this i would love to see in some sort of verfiable format. The eye test tells me that just isnt the case but would welcome being proven wrong.
Fair enough. I just went looking specifically for zone exit data so I could post a link -- which is the only reference I made to analytics -- and couldn't find anything. I must've misremembered.

The '#4/5 on a solid defensive core' thing is obviously an opinion. It's not quantifiable.

If you're interested, this article offers a decent breakdown of some of the publicly available stats from last season.
https://canucksarmy.com/2018/05/06/canu ... stecher-2/

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4113
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by micky107 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Any bets, (guesses), on Jake?
My thoughts are 1.8 per, for 2 yrs.
"evolution"

Post Reply