Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Canucks Contracts

Post by SKYO »

So this offseason should prove to be interesting and pivotal for the franchise.

Long term vs bridge.

Whose core and whose fringe.

We got a crapload of RFA's:

21yr old Bo Horvat 894K
23yr old Brendan Gaunce 863K
23yr old Reid Boucher 715K
23yr old Joseph LaBate 680K
24yr old Michael Zalewski 632K
24yr old Michael Chaput 600K
24yr old Joseph Cramarossa 724K
26yr old Anton Rodin 950K
26yr old Drew Shore 600K

22yr old Nikita Tryamkin 925K
22yr old Evan McEneny 585K
23yr old Tom Nilsson 575K
23yr old Andrey Pedan 700K
25yr old Erik Gudbranson 3.5M

25yr old Michael Garteig 925K

Only Bo should get a long-term contract imo, 7 years ish, late 4's or early 5's.

Tryamkin fits the mold of a cheaper bridge contract, keep him hungry/motivated.

IF Gudbranson doesn't accept $4M - $4.5M per, I'd trade him.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by rockalt »

I highly doubt Horvat signs a long term deal for less than 5 million. Either you're looking at a bridge deal in the 4 million range or 5 - 6 million long term.

The rest of that forward RFA group is pretty telling. :( I'd qualify Boucher.... maybe Rodin (doubtful) and I guess some combo of the interchangeable parts.

On defence it's more interesting. I can't tell what Gudbranson is worth. Prior to the trade I would have expected him to demand 5 million but this year has been a setback. A bridge deal seems most likely but how many years away from UFA is he? 3? You can't bridge him to then.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hence the diktat now that playoffs are out of reach, play'em so Genius Jim can fish or cut bait.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

May as well throw the UFA guys in here as well. I'll puke if Miller and Skilpr are back.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rockalt wrote:I highly doubt Horvat signs a long term deal for less than 5 million. Either you're looking at a bridge deal in the 4 million range or 5 - 6 million long term.
Quite right. If Bo's agent has even half a brain he asks for the term possible or the long-term $6+M. The latter is in Bo's best interests as there are no guarantee's in this league and a short-term deal could be a bad thing if he gets injured or if suddenly he ends up with shit linemates and doesn't produce.
The rest of that forward RFA group is pretty telling. :( I'd qualify Boucher.... maybe Rodin (doubtful) and I guess some combo of the interchangeable parts.
I would qualify Gaunce (if it's the same salary as what he got this year). Rodin is worth another year if it's similar money. His agent doesn't have a leg to stand on in negotiations, no team will offer more than that.
On defence it's more interesting. I can't tell what Gudbranson is worth. Prior to the trade I would have expected him to demand 5 million but this year has been a setback. A bridge deal seems most likely but how many years away from UFA is he? 3? You can't bridge him to then.
Tryamkin is worth bending a bit to keep, but he's a Russian, so make him earn the big payday as too many young Ruskies sign big and then wilt.

Gudbranson is worth taking to 1 year shy of RFA. If Benning can't get him to do that then trade him to a team with an extension in place just waiting for him to sign.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:May as well throw the UFA guys in here as well. I'll puke if Miller and Skilpr are back.
What's your beef with Miller?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

rockalt wrote:I highly doubt Horvat signs a long term deal for less than 5 million. Either you're looking at a bridge deal in the 4 million range or 5 - 6 million long term.

For Horvat my fave corny ideal is still $5.3M per over 8 years, locked up for life young blood.

Comparables for Guds

Oduya: 3.75M
Hamonic: 3.875M
M. Stone: 4M
Martinez: 4M
Muzzin: 4M
Scandella: 4M
Hjalmarsson: 4.1M
Emelin: 4.1M
Ericsson: 4.25M
J. Johnson: 4.375M
Chris Tanev: 4.45 (no way in hell should guds make more than tanev)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Gotta think Gudbranson gets $4M on any bridge deal that takes him to UFA, and we know how much it costs to buy up UFA seasons for foundational players...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:May as well throw the UFA guys in here as well. I'll puke if Miller and Skilpr are back.
He will want 5-6 million. Markstrom is set to make 3.8. Why exactly is the leagues most boring team tying up 8-10 million in goalies ? Do you want to stick your 6ft 13 ass in a seat to watch that shit ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rodin I think becomes FA due to the number of games he didn't play. Age plus lack of required NHL games and he's UFA. I'd wait until July for sure before deciding on him. But he's not worth anymore than his current deal.

I'd resign Chaput, Boucher and let Megna go. I'm fine bringing Skille back on another PTO and seeing.

Gudbranson ya I'd do a two year 3-4 million per. Horvat 8x6, Trymakin 2 year 2.5-3 per. Hutton got 2x2.8 so I could see Trymakin getting similar.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Mëds wrote:
He will want 5-6 million. Markstrom is set to make 3.8. Why exactly is the leagues most boring team tying up 8-10 million in goalies ? Do you want to stick your 6ft 13 ass in a seat to watch that shit ?
Oh Ok, gotcha. I just assume that if Miller returns Markstrom will be traded and Demko brought in to learn the ropes from Miller.

To be honest, I don't know what options Miller will have available though if he leaves Vancouver. Most teams that are contenders (or close to) already have their starter. The only one that is looking like a decent playoff team without a legit starter under contract next season is Calgary, and Miller apparently wouldn't even consider them.

The California teams have their goaltending situation dialed in. Anaheim isn't as locked in as the other two, but they seem committed to Gibson. They could give Miller Bernier's $4M though.....but Miller would have to be willing to share a job, something he's apparently not keen on.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Oh Ok, gotcha. I just assume that if Miller returns Markstrom will be traded and Demko brought in to learn the ropes from Miller.

To be honest, I don't know what options Miller will have available though if he leaves Vancouver. Most teams that are contenders (or close to) already have their starter. The only one that is looking like a decent playoff team without a legit starter under contract next season is Calgary, and Miller apparently wouldn't even consider them.

The California teams have their goaltending situation dialed in. Anaheim isn't as locked in as the other two, but they seem committed to Gibson. They could give Miller Bernier's $4M though.....but Miller would have to be willing to share a job, something he's apparently not keen on.
Don't assume Miller will chase a Cup. He is good for one more contract, 2-3 years max, and then his career is likely over. I think he is more interested in a family fit at this point. Don't know why you rule Calgary out. But if a Cup isn't in the cards Las Vegas makes sense.

I see Vancouver, Vegas, Anaheim and Calgary as possibilities. But I don't rule out Dallas either. Major transportation hub, easy commute to LA.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Don't assume Miller will chase a Cup. He is good for one more contract, 2-3 years max, and then his career is likely over. I think he is more interested in a family fit at this point. Don't know why you rule Calgary out. But if a Cup isn't in the cards Las Vegas makes sense.

I see Vancouver, Vegas, Anaheim and Calgary as possibilities. But I don't rule out Dallas either. Major transportation hub, easy commute to LA.
Calgary, Dallas, Vegas, Flyers, Sabres, Jets, TB, maybe isles/sens I think would be looking to upgrade their goalie situation.

Bishop, Darling, Miller would be the top tier UFA goalies to target this July 1st.

Like an old Ed Belfour that won in Dallas, I can see them signing MillerTime, he just suits them somehow, they'll buyout Niemi and then give $3M-4M per for 3 years for RM. Sure they'll try to get Bishop, MAF, Darling first probably but will be outbid by other teams.

Bishop will get silly paid.

Darling imo will get around 4x4 ish.

& then there is the whole MAF situation, Vegas may very well scoop him up.

Having said that if the Canucks re-sign Miller for a couple years (after expansion draft dust settles), that's the final nail in the coffin for Markstrom as JB might put out some feelers out there if there's any interest in Markstrom in a hockey deal at the draft/summer.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

A good question to ask is; Who would you rather see as number one, for a year or two, with Demko backing him up and getting use to NHL goaltending?

I like Miller.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Rodin I think becomes FA due to the number of games he didn't play. Age plus lack of required NHL games and he's UFA. I'd wait until July for sure before deciding on him. But he's not worth anymore than his current deal.

I'd resign Chaput, Boucher and let Megna go. I'm fine bringing Skille back on another PTO and seeing.

Gudbranson ya I'd do a two year 3-4 million per. Horvat 8x6, Trymakin 2 year 2.5-3 per. Hutton got 2x2.8 so I could see Trymakin getting similar.
Agreed. Except Gudbranson is going to be closer $4M - $4.5M. He makes $3.5M right now...