The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Richardstroker69 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:33 am

ESQ wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm
To me, Tryamkin is still the most exciting defensive prospect in the franchise.

He was such a physical beast that he didn't need to arrive in shape, or get in fights or try to play "physical". He has the physical power to just destroy opponents without much effort, and nobody could fight him for retribution - just ask Jamie Benn.

Would I count on him returning? No. But until his current contract expires, I would definitely make room for him.
When he was here he was physically the strongest in the league and I don’t think it was close. Hell he just leaned on Richardson and broke his leg. I think he’d look good playing with Hughes.

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by ukcanuck » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:30 pm

Whelp,
For me this recent slide puts the focus on goaltending depth more than lack of defensive skill as a rebuild issue.

We already knew that the defense isn’t good enough but the injury to Nilsson really highlights how veneer thin we are in goaltending.

There doesn’t seem to be any evidence that Markstrom can carry the workload of a true number one. Ditto for Nilsson

The pipeline with Demko and that other kid
Depietro (?) seemingly going backwards in a timeline to Vancouver.

What is a Canuck GM to do?

Where can we find a bridge number one and get rid of one of Markstrom or Nilsson in order to have long term goaltending in order to bail out the Ds learning curve.

User avatar
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by dangler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:35 am

ukcanuck wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:30 pm
Whelp,
For me this recent slide puts the focus on goaltending depth more than lack of defensive skill as a rebuild issue.

We already knew that the defense isn’t good enough but the injury to Nilsson really highlights how veneer thin we are in goaltending.

There doesn’t seem to be any evidence that Markstrom can carry the workload of a true number one. Ditto for Nilsson

The pipeline with Demko and that other kid
Depietro (?) seemingly going backwards in a timeline to Vancouver.

What is a Canuck GM to do?

Where can we find a bridge number one and get rid of one of Markstrom or Nilsson in order to have long term goaltending in order to bail out the Ds learning curve.
Markstroms been playing good, he's just been playing too many games in a row. Nilsson was playing great until the injury. They both play their best when they can take a few games off and reset. Together they should be able to get through this season. Next season Demko should be in the mix.
Canucks also have Thiessen whom some have said could be turn out to be a #1 down the road.
Retool Rebuild

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12036
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:36 am

I hope they don’t do a damn thing. Markstrom has looked shaky for sure but pissing away more assets for a goalie is asinine at this juncture of the rebuild.

I keep hearing rumours of them signing Bobrovsky and it scares the hell out of me. He’s 31 and will want major term and cap hit.

Stay the course. Be patient
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 12493
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:31 am

Listen Bubbles, when ya break it down, it’s not a great draft class. After Hughes, the next tier is 2 to 5 and it’s a group that ain’t making me do back flips like “if we draft one of them it will put us over the top” Not! From 6th pick to 30th, what!ever! It’s a mish mash of mix em ups. I could care less if we are drafting 6th or 20th, they are all on the same level.

Get a real good goalie, I’m mean Real Good. Cause the tenders are letting the kids down. I’m enjoying this season, first in awhile all because the kids are alright, I like it when they win, it puts hair on their backs, it’s good for the mojo. #winningculture #playoffs #losingisforlosers #Blobisdrunkagain #onetotwoyears #docrules #fuckoffreefer
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12036
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:57 am

Wrong again. It’s a great draft class.

Sneaking into the playoffs with 82 points and getting skullfucked again like in 2015 would be horrible for this team.
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3513
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by ukcanuck » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:22 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:57 am
Wrong again. It’s a great draft class.

Sneaking into the playoffs with 82 points and getting skullfucked again like in 2015 would be horrible for this team.
If they have the skill for that then that too would be a learning experience.

But yeah I think we are at a crucial point in the rebuild. No room for errors in trades or free agent signings.

But I’m not sold on long term with two tweener goalies

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4096
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Reefer2 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:12 am

dangler wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:35 am
Markstroms been playing good, he's just been playing too many games in a row. Nilsson was playing great until the injury. They both play their best when they can take a few games off and reset. Together they should be able to get through this season. Next season Demko should be in the mix.
Canucks also have Thiessen whom some have said could be turn out to be a #1 down the road.
Agreed with too many games in a row, hard on majority of the goalies.

Regarding Thiessen, did we not already hear that about Demko, Dip and now Thi. Great we have 3 potential #1s, no we just have to ease them into the lineup. Demko must get some games this year, 10 games will not kill his confidence but it sure in the hell gets him to understand what it is like to play in the NHL and then take it back and work on it for the start of next season.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 5339
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by micky107 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:57 am
Wrong again. It’s a great draft class.

Sneaking into the playoffs with 82 points and getting skullfucked again like in 2015 would be horrible for this team.



WRONG.


Image


It would not be horrible for this team!!!
Or me!!!!
And trust me when I tell you that no matter what people say now; if we manage to eke our way in;
The excitement around this town, and , yes, HERE TOO, would be off the fucking ding-dang wall.
Most importantly, the team would feel SUPERCHARGED, and that would be rather nifty for development.
This isn't 2015, damn it.
Have a very pleasant day :) .
"evolution"

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9658
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by SKYO » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:38 pm

Yeah for construction folks, what's the best way to build a house for rookies? building a shitty house time after time? or do you build a good one, then a better one, until you build a multi-million dollar west side mansion.

All the best eventual championship teams gradually build up season after season until they win it all, blackhawks before went to the playoffs increased their teams points each year, 2005-65pts, 2006-71pts, 2007-89pts -> 2009-3rd round playoffs.

Canucks could in theory could reach mid-80's pts this season, and people want to see an improvement (OR ELSE).
2017-69pts, 2018-71pts, 2019-85pts? that's the goal imo, then for the 2019/20 season we'll have some fresh trained troops for the defense for a much needed influx of energy (Hughes, Juolevi) maybe EK. :D

Demko will have another year of experience, Jim Benning's preferred slow-cook style of goalies (Jimmy hates rushing goalies into the league).

That's the goal for this team now, to improve each year until they can win it all.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by rats19 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:44 pm

SKYO wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:38 pm
Yeah for construction folks, what's the best way to build a house for rookies? building a shitty house time after time? or do you build a good one, then a better one, until you build a multi-million dollar west side mansion.

All the best eventual championship teams gradually build up season after season until they win it all, blackhawks before went to the playoffs increased their teams points each year, 2005-65pts, 2006-71pts, 2007-89pts -> 2009-3rd round playoffs.

Canucks could in theory could reach mid-80's pts this season, and people want to see an improvement (OR ELSE).
2017-69pts, 2018-71pts, 2019-85pts? that's the goal imo, then for the 2019/20 season we'll have some fresh trained troops for the defense for a much needed influx of energy (Hughes, Juolevi) maybe EK. :D

Demko will have another year of experience, Jim Benning's preferred slow-cook style of goalies (Jimmy hates rushing goalies into the league).

That's the goal for this team now, to improve each year until they can win it all.
Good plan Skyo
You are who you hang with.....

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 18165
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Strangelove » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:52 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:36 am
Markstrom has looked shaky for sure

Elmer should have signed Old Man Miller to a 5 year contract back in 2014.
Image
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12036
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:52 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:36 am
Markstrom has looked shaky for sure

Elmer should have signed Old Man Miller to a 5 year contract back in 2014.
Image
I didn’t say that

I guess you could brag to your friends that they won three more games if that’s wot you need
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12036
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:35 pm

micky107 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:36 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:57 am
Wrong again. It’s a great draft class.

Sneaking into the playoffs with 82 points and getting skullfucked again like in 2015 would be horrible for this team.



WRONG.


Image


It would not be horrible for this team!!!
Or me!!!!
And trust me when I tell you that no matter what people say now; if we manage to eke our way in;
The excitement around this town, and , yes, HERE TOO, would be off the fucking ding-dang wall.
Most importantly, the team would feel SUPERCHARGED, and that would be rather nifty for development.
This isn't 2015, damn it.
Have a very pleasant day :) .
Yes it would

Get off the canned heat
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 12493
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:55 pm

Is Booze Macenzzi all over the map agai tonight?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Post Reply