The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 8964
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by SKYO » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Thinking of the golden nuggets predictions on the team drafted/traded for to build around for the long haul:

Horvat Boeser
Dahlen Pettersson
Gaudette Virtanen

Hughes _____
Juolevi Woo

Demko


Then you got the expensive vet players that a lot of people loathe due to their contracts in Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson.
The unknowns: Gadjovich, Kole Lind, Lockwood, Palmu, Jasek, Rathbone, Brassard, Brisebois, Chatfield, Madden.
The expendables: Goldy, Baertschi, Granlund, Leipsic, MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot.

imo the key ingredient missing for now is a big gritty Shea Weber 'type' right side top pairing dman who has a cannon of a shot.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3731
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by micky107 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:54 pm

SKYO wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:41 pm
Thinking of the golden nuggets predictions on the team drafted/traded for to build around for the long haul:

Horvat Boeser
Dahlen Pettersson
Gaudette Virtanen

Hughes _____
Juolevi Woo

Demko


Then you got the expensive vet players that a lot of people loathe due to their contracts in Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson.
The unknowns: Gadjovich, Kole Lind, Lockwood, Palmu, Jasek, Rathbone, Brassard, Brisebois, Chatfield, Madden.
The expendables: Goldy, Baertschi, Granlund, Leipsic, MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot.

imo the key ingredient missing for now is a big gritty Shea Weber 'type' right side top pairing dman who has a cannon of a shot.
Maybe, (some day), we could acquire Evan Bouchard. I understand he fits that description.

sorry, bad joke. I admit it.
"evolution"

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 pm
Only 2" difference in heights :mrgreen:
I was thinking that perhaps the angle of the photograph was deceptive in that regard.

Or Maybe young Mr. Woo is taller than advertised ? :roll:

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10065
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:22 pm

micky107 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:25 pm
Looks like a regular Canuck fan turn out for last years games.
It’s nice weather out.

Can’t blame people for not wanting to sit inside in a day like today
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1961
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Hank » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Younger people have jobs, Mick.

The midget speaks:

Try to focus on 1 year from now...

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4454
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Uncle dans leg » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:09 pm

The kid sounds like hes going back to Michigan if he doesnt make the NHL

I would love to see some scrimmage footage from today...any links?
nobody forks...with the jesus

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 8964
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by SKYO » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Makes sense, the big meeting is next week, Michigan or the Canucks.
imac:

Agent Pat Brisson and #Canucks GM Jim Benning spoke today about 7th pick Quinn Hughes turning pro.

Each side will discuss what’s best for D-man’s development, and they’ll try to agree on a decision within a week.
His style of play I think he could put up at least 30 NHL pts next season with sheltered minutes, offensive zone starts, powerplay etc.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12636
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Word is that Hughes and his agent want to see a clear path to him being in the top six or he will return to Michigan. Not out there as a threat but simply they don’t see the benefit of Utica at this point in time over a developmental year in Michigan.

His preference is to sign and play in the NHL but if the pathway isn’t there this year he’s ok with one more year in the NCAA.

So the Canucks it seems wont be able to park him in Utica this year. They have to decide if they want to clear room and “guarantee” him a spot or if they think he’s better suited in college for now.

He’s not the first player, college or otherwise, that doesn’t see the AHL as a good developmental option. We see this a lot with Swedes, Finns, Russians. All who would rather develop in other leagues for another 1-2 years than play in the AHL.

I don’t get the sense this is hardball threats or negotiation tactics but rather a preference if he’s not on the Canucks roster. As a fan I’d rather him being in Utica and available for call up but from a developmental perspective in college he will have more time to work on the off ice things he needs to work on.

If Benning has a hard on to get him signed he will have to commit to moving D.

In some ways this resembles Trymankin’s perspective. He didn’t see a role or pathway to top four and wasn’t willing to resign and risk Utica. He chose to return to the KHL.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1037
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by DonCherry4PM » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:00 pm
Word is that Hughes and his agent want to see a clear path to him being in the top six or he will return to Michigan. Not out there as a threat but simply they don’t see the benefit of Utica at this point in time over a developmental year in Michigan.

His preference is to sign and play in the NHL but if the pathway isn’t there this year he’s ok with one more year in the NCAA.

So the Canucks it seems wont be able to park him in Utica this year. They have to decide if they want to clear room and “guarantee” him a spot or if they think he’s better suited in college for now.

He’s not the first player, college or otherwise, that doesn’t see the AHL as a good developmental option. We see this a lot with Swedes, Finns, Russians. All who would rather develop in other leagues for another 1-2 years than play in the AHL.

I don’t get the sense this is hardball threats or negotiation tactics but rather a preference if he’s not on the Canucks roster. As a fan I’d rather him being in Utica and available for call up but from a developmental perspective in college he will have more time to work on the off ice things he needs to work on.

If Benning has a hard on to get him signed he will have to commit to moving D.

In some ways this resembles Trymankin’s perspective. He didn’t see a role or pathway to top four and wasn’t willing to resign and risk Utica. He chose to return to the KHL.
Thanks for the update, Wids. Obviously it would be more fun for us this year if he were either on the team or in Utica but might be best to have another year in Michigan. Not sure how applicable it is, but Boeser seemed to do just fine without the intermediate step from NCAA to AHL to NHL.

Other than learning to play a system similar to what the Canucks have, anyone have any thoughts in respect of the benefits of being in the AHL vs. NCAA? I have read some places that AHL has much higher overall skill but read others that there isn't really that much of a difference.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 8964
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by SKYO » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:29 pm

I think the AHL is best for when you are close to ready but not quite there yet.

NCAA is great for working out and practicing a lot as they don't play as much games vs the pros, so they train hard all year as I think they only play like 40-42 games a season? vs AHL - 80?games NHL 82.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1037
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by DonCherry4PM » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:35 pm

SKYO wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:29 pm
I think the AHL is best for when you are close to ready but not quite there yet.

NCAA is great for working out and practicing a lot as they don't play as much games vs the pros, so they train hard all year as I think they only play like 40-42 games a season? vs AHL - 80?games NHL 82.
Considering his size then, NCAA could conceivably be better in terms of muscle/weight gain?
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 8964
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by SKYO » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:45 pm

Such a tough call considering his skating is NHL caliber already along with his scoring skills he's probably already better than MDZ, Pouliot, Hutton and Stecher skill wise.


Friedman: "There's been a strange undercurrent of rumor w/ Colton Parayko, that maybe St. Louis potentially might be willing to do something there. It was around the draft. It went away. It didn't happen. It would take a huge price, but I think teams asked about it." #stlblues
That be my dream top defense pairing of Hughes - Parayko....a perfect duo of complimentary skills.
I'd give up Tryamkin++ for a Parayko type.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12636
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:26 pm

I guess it depends upon what needs developing. Hughes already has NHL skill, speed, awareness, hockey IQ. The only negative appears to be strenghting up to prepare for the rigours of the NHL. That being the case the NCAA would be a better option than Utica. It gives him one more year of physical growth and one more year of off ice work.

Of course that’s the knock on Pettersson too.

I think Hughes could play in the NHL. But is Benning ready willing and able to move out 2-3 on D.

I say 2-3 counting D that need to clear waivers.

Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
Hutton
MDZ
Pouliot
Stetcher
Biega
Sautner

They could clear out bodies and use him as the 7-8 guy with an off ice developmental planned days, off ice training type of deal. Similar to what they wanted/tried to do with McCaan and Virtanen.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7858
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:26 pm
I guess it depends upon what needs developing. Hughes already has NHL skill, speed, awareness, hockey IQ. The only negative appears to be strenghting up to prepare for the rigours of the NHL. That being the case the NCAA would be a better option than Utica. It gives him one more year of physical growth and one more year of off ice work.

Of course that’s the knock on Pettersson too.

I think Hughes could play in the NHL. But is Benning ready willing and able to move out 2-3 on D.

I say 2-3 counting D that need to clear waivers.

Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
Hutton
MDZ
Hughes <------ Right around here
Pouliot
Stetcher
------------
Biega
Sautner

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12636
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:42 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:34 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:26 pm
I guess it depends upon what needs developing. Hughes already has NHL skill, speed, awareness, hockey IQ. The only negative appears to be strenghting up to prepare for the rigours of the NHL. That being the case the NCAA would be a better option than Utica. It gives him one more year of physical growth and one more year of off ice work.

Of course that’s the knock on Pettersson too.

I think Hughes could play in the NHL. But is Benning ready willing and able to move out 2-3 on D.

I say 2-3 counting D that need to clear waivers.

Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
Hutton
MDZ
Hughes <------ Right around here
Pouliot
Stetcher
------------
Biega
Sautner
Oh ya it can be done, no problem. It’s just if Benning wants to do that.

We could take these nine
Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
Hutton
MDZ
Pouliot
Stetcher
Biega
Sautner

Trade one for a pick(s) next year and run with the other 8. Giving us Juolevi and others a chance to be the injury call ups and let Hughes go back to Michigan. In this scenario I would then want to trade 4+ of those 8 at the TDD clearing room in 2019 for Hughes, Juolevi, Brisbois and whoever else.

Of course we could trade a few of our D now, sign deHaan and keep Hughes.

So numerous scenarios exist it’s just if Benning is willing to do it.

I’ve changed my opinion on this so many times. As it sits I’m all in for keeping Hughes and Juolevi. Keeping Tanev and Edler. Trading as many of the following:
Hutton
Stetcher
Pouliot
MDZ
Gudbranson
Biega
Sautner.

Sign FA to fill the void.
The only HW the Canucks need

Post Reply