The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1619
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by ESQ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Agree with most of your write except I don’t think for any reason within the next 2 season will anyone take LE. I am assuming based upon Strange that his last 2 seasons his actual pay goes down but it will allow a bottom feeder to reach the minimum cap.
What would you be willing to trade to an expansion team to take LE's contract in a draft?

I doubt a pick will do it, possibly a Goldobin/Hutton/Dahlen-level young player.

After this year he doesn't have an NMC, so I think we can count on keeping him until end of 2019 (earliest possible date for an expansion draft), then seeing some wheeling-dealing to get rid of him in the expansion. But unless he breaks out of his funk, they'll be paying a heavy price to get rid of that contract. Such a heavy price it may be worth re-considering...

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3593
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 pm

ESQ wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:06 pm
Reefer2 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Agree with most of your write except I don’t think for any reason within the next 2 season will anyone take LE. I am assuming based upon Strange that his last 2 seasons his actual pay goes down but it will allow a bottom feeder to reach the minimum cap.
What would you be willing to trade to an expansion team to take LE's contract in a draft?

I doubt a pick will do it, possibly a Goldobin/Hutton/Dahlen-level young player.

After this year he doesn't have an NMC, so I think we can count on keeping him until end of 2019 (earliest possible date for an expansion draft), then seeing some wheeling-dealing to get rid of him in the expansion. But unless he breaks out of his funk, they'll be paying a heavy price to get rid of that contract. Such a heavy price it may be worth re-considering...
All depends on when the deal is done, the later the less we have to pay but it may cost a 2nd or 3rd. Of course it really depends on how well he is playing.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10247
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:35 pm

It will cost a first
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9030
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by SKYO » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 am

Sedins retire would be the breathe of fresh air this franchise needs.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5826
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Meds » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 am

SKYO wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 am
Sedins retire would be the breathe of fresh air this franchise needs.
Moving Edler would be sufficient in that regard.

He’s the stalest piece of the old pie.

Hank and Dank back on 1 year deals at $4M or less would be fine for this team. They are on pace for 58 and 54 points respectively, most teams are paying $12M for 112 points these days, and their production has stepped up since Bo went down, so their points are again coming against the toughest competition.

It would require parting ways with Edler and one other vet to keep the transition going.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9030
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by SKYO » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:58 am

Nay, team needs a new facelift meds, Sedins and Edler gone this offseason is just what the doctor ordered.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7405
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Cornuck » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am

SKYO wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 am
Sedins retire would be the breathe of fresh air this franchise needs.
Who do you replace them with (or fill their spots with)?
2017 - The Road to 65™

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11243
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by RoyalDude » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:12 am

Cornuck wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am
SKYO wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 am
Sedins retire would be the breathe of fresh air this franchise needs.
Who do you replace them with (or fill their spots with)?

Cornuck, in September the Sedins turn 38. Replace them with anybody.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10247
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:44 am

I have a feeling the Dude got lit right up last night. Like pissing his pants, falling down, incoherent yelling, puking, bright red eyes drunk.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9030
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by SKYO » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:09 am

Cornuck wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am
SKYO wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 am
Sedins retire would be the breathe of fresh air this franchise needs.
Who do you replace them with?
Horvat.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11243
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by RoyalDude » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:50 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:44 am
I have a feeling the Dude got lit right up last night. Like pissing his pants, falling down, incoherent yelling, puking, bright red eyes drunk.
Speak for yourself Otis. I imagine Bubbles followed his Friday routine, piss it up all night long at the Gilnetter with copius amounts of Russells beer by the pitcher, cheeseburger and fries for dinner, and then did his usual stumble drunk, mumble talk walk home along Kingsway only to end up passed out the rest of the night at the railroad tracks before lougheed
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3593
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Reefer2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:55 am

Cornuck wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am
SKYO wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 am
Sedins retire would be the breathe of fresh air this franchise needs.
Who do you replace them with (or fill their spots with)?
Short term UFA, 2 year deals, like a Vanek deal.

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7405
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Cornuck » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:55 am
Cornuck wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am
Who do you replace them [Sedins] with (or fill their spots with)?
Short term UFA, 2 year deals, like a Vanek deal.
It's a fine move if we get Vanek like players / results, and not another LE. Do we risk getting 1-2 duds or stick with a known quantity?
2017 - The Road to 65™

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10247
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:50 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:44 am
I have a feeling the Dude got lit right up last night. Like pissing his pants, falling down, incoherent yelling, puking, bright red eyes drunk.
Speak for yourself Otis. I imagine Bubbles followed his Friday routine, piss it up all night long at the Gilnetter with copius amounts of Russells beer by the pitcher, cheeseburger and fries for dinner, and then did his usual stumble drunk, mumble talk walk home along Kingsway only to end up passed out the rest of the night at the railroad tracks before lougheed
Lol Weibo Ludwig gettin after it. What’s on the menu tonight ? I’m thinking Andina beer, chilli,nice salad and finish it off with some vodka/oj/7up. First off my kid has a game in North Van. Hey Dud is Fen Burdett Stadium still around ?
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2621
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Madcombinepilot » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:01 pm

SKYO wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:09 am
Cornuck wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am
SKYO wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 am
Sedins retire would be the breathe of fresh air this franchise needs.
Who do you replace them with?
Horvat.

Look at the ice time.. Horvat has already replaced them. Twins are having a decent final year as 37 year olds on an expiring long term contract. They stepped up nicely when everyone was hurt, but the lack of organizational talent still meant we couldn't win games.

But in the limited role they had when everyone was healthy, they were fine.

Why replace them with unknowns in the locker room when you can resign them to fair (third line, 38 year olds players) contracts. Low base salary with incentives.

Until the team is deep enough to handle losing 3 forwards to injury and not having to call up Pylons like Chaput and Gaunce in the lineup for any reason, keep them.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Post Reply