The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby micky107 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:01 am

Always finding it necessary to point out that no matter what is said for public consumption, the GM these days has a President. In our case, that is Linden and his wants and desires, IMHO, are in play.
Makes it a little harder to rate JB cause you never really know for sure...
"evolution"
User avatar
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2940
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby SKYO » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Meds wrote:
SKYO wrote:Also why if we can't move up in the draft, the team should try to move Tanev+ for Drouin to fulfill that missing game breaker which would be a franchise defining moment and as bonus would help sell seats in Rogers Arena. (Drouin & Horvat both same age as well @22)


I would do both if Dallas has interest in Edler.

Edler + 2nd + ______ to Dallas for 3rd overall + Lehtonen/Niemi.

Tanev + 3rd + ______ to Tampa for Drouin.

Sign Brian Campbell as a guy who might be good for Hutton's development.

There's a fair number of other UFA defensemen who are 35+ who might come for a year or so, and offset the loss of our top pairing until we rebuild our blueline. Ideally you overpay Markov for one season as Montreal may be in tough to keep him now.


Pull your head out of your ass Meds.
Canucks 2017/18
A NEW HOPE
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby Meds » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:05 am

SKYO wrote:
Meds wrote:
SKYO wrote:Also why if we can't move up in the draft, the team should try to move Tanev+ for Drouin to fulfill that missing game breaker which would be a franchise defining moment and as bonus would help sell seats in Rogers Arena. (Drouin & Horvat both same age as well @22)


I would do both if Dallas has interest in Edler.

Edler + 2nd + ______ to Dallas for 3rd overall + Lehtonen/Niemi.

Tanev + 3rd + ______ to Tampa for Drouin.

Sign Brian Campbell as a guy who might be good for Hutton's development.

There's a fair number of other UFA defensemen who are 35+ who might come for a year or so, and offset the loss of our top pairing until we rebuild our blueline. Ideally you overpay Markov for one season as Montreal may be in tough to keep him now.


Pull your head out of your ass Meds.


Didn't i just take one of your own ideas and run with it a bit? :eh:
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5391
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby Cornuck » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:08 am

Meds wrote:
SKYO wrote:Pull your head out of your ass Meds.


Didn't i just take one of your own ideas and run with it a bit? :eh:


Pull your head out of Skyo's ass? :|
2017 - The Road to 65™
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 6806
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby Meds » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:12 am

Cornuck wrote:
Meds wrote:
SKYO wrote:Pull your head out of your ass Meds.


Didn't i just take one of your own ideas and run with it a bit? :eh:


Pull your head out of Skyo's ass? :|


Ok, there's fun and games, and then there's just being mean for the sake of being mean. :(
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5391
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby Cornuck » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:39 am

Meds wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Meds wrote:
SKYO wrote:Pull your head out of your ass Meds.


Didn't i just take one of your own ideas and run with it a bit? :eh:


Pull your head out of Skyo's ass? :|


Ok, there's fun and games, and then there's just being mean for the sake of being mean. :(


Just letting you know I'm here, watching... :D
2017 - The Road to 65™
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 6806
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby Meds » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:58 am

Cornuck wrote:
Meds wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Meds wrote:
SKYO wrote:Pull your head out of your ass Meds.


Didn't i just take one of your own ideas and run with it a bit? :eh:


Pull your head out of Skyo's ass? :|


Ok, there's fun and games, and then there's just being mean for the sake of being mean. :(


Just letting you know I'm here, watching... :D


Oh I know. I know. :P
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5391
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby SKYO » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:37 am

"We must accept the end of something in order to begin to build something new."

Sedins era is finished.
Canucks 2017/18
A NEW HOPE
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:28 am

SKYO wrote:"We must accept the end of something in order to begin to build something new."

Sedins era is finished.


The End is the Beginning
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 9522
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby micky107 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:48 am

Well, Dorsett has now become somewhat of an enigma and I would think the odds of Vegas picking him are remote, to say the least.
When he comes back from his procedure, he may well have to re-create his game, even though he says otherwise.
I can just see him taking on guys who go after some of our younger players and in all honesty, they need to start fending for themselves to some degree.
With a roster spot at stake, I would try and move him if only for a 6th or 7th round pick.
At 2.65 mill for two more years, it might be impossible.
I don't hate the little rascal but he isn't right for what we are doing now..
"evolution"
User avatar
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2940
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby SKYO » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Let's just hope the Canucks have learned to sell veteran assets at their prime during this current rebuild, if we are not going to win a draft lotto just like the last 47 years of the franchise existence, we better stockpile draft picks to increase the odds of drafting diamond in the rough picks, like Cup champs - Kopitar a mid 1st, Bergeron 2nd rd, Krejci 2nd rd, Datsyuk 6th rd, Zetterberg 7th rd, Brad Richards 3rd rd.

Now with Benning at the helm, I think we finally have an American pro sports minded development manager, scout the shit out of the world to look under ever nook and cranny, draft well, develop well, be in charge of the minor league team as well to develop your prospects, it's just like any successful American football, basketball, baseball and hockey team that wins a championship - it starts with scouting, drafting and developing properly and then having the rich owners to keep your talent (which thank to the aquabro's we do)
Canucks 2017/18
A NEW HOPE
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby SKYO » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:33 am

Alright back to the long term planning of the franchise.

I'd like to take the angle of the Blackhawks back in 2004-2007 when they were sucking balls, but were building a foundation, the gritty depth and their defensive pillars for their next 10 years in Duncan Keith who had a couple of very mediocre AHL seasons in Norfolk scoring a paltry 25 pts & 26 pts seasons, goes to show you never 100% know what you're going to get in a player with their AHL stats. (god speed JV!)

And Brent Seabrook who had some subpar seasons in those days, but had FOUR full WHL season's before making it to the pro's.

Once Chicago did that, all they simply added :mrgreen: was a couple top tier all-stars after those rough years and boom they go on a modern dynasty.


All which should ground us Canucks fans as to what this season should be about ---- and that's developing the building blocks now to create solid foundation for the next 10 years.

Thus what I'm getting to & what I've wanted for years now is to really create a solid defense here in Canuckville.

Which is why I'm glad JB took Juolevi over that shitbag Tkachuk who is j.Ruttu/Avery hybrid who is going to get bashed 24/7. Notice Tkachuk chilled when Gudbranson was around?

Anyways back to the lecture at hand, the objective this year is to solidify the defense and one step is Juolevi & figuring out between Hutton, Stecher and Pouliot on who to keep and build with, along with Guddy.
Tryamkin is a keeper 100% and hope to god he will make his triumphant return but that won't be for a couple years.

Keepers: Tanev, Juolevi + one of the QB's, (Guddy is question mark, the hardest question of the year, imo if you can't get a superb deal, I'd like to re-sign him $4m per x 4) Need that size/toughness until Tryamkin gets here.

Edler & MDZ only have one more year on their contracts here, Edler could be dealt this offseason for future's.

The only way I'd deal Chris Tanev is if it's for a dman that is better than him, like Carlson (if the Caps can't afford to re-sign him/or he just wants a change of scenery), or go younger and acquire Liljigren from Toronto.

This defense has to be figured out this season towards the offseason, as once that is figured out - the Canucks have a shotgun offense ready to roll out!


Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen (rugged homie who will only get tougher with age, dude just turned 21).
Gadjo - LIND - Goldy
Gaudette - Lockwood - Grans

------------

Juolevi - Carlson anyone?
Canucks 2017/18
A NEW HOPE
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby Ronning's Ghost » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:03 am

Yes, Chris Tanev is clearly the best defender the Canucks have right now, but he's 27, not the biggest guy, and takes a lot of punishment. I fear he will no longer be a regular NHL contributor by the time the Canucks are serious championship contenders again. I think the better rebuild strategy is to sell high and recover assets with good prospects of developing the ability to replace what he brings now in a few years.
Ronning's Ghost
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:37 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:Yes, Chris Tanev is clearly the best defender the Canucks have right now, but he's 27, not the biggest guy, and takes a lot of punishment. I fear he will no longer be a regular NHL contributor by the time the Canucks are serious championship contenders again. I think the better rebuild strategy is to sell high and recover assets with good prospects of developing the ability to replace what he brings now in a few years.



Ya Tanev is are steady guy back there. Brings so much to the table. But I have to agree, at 27 with his yearly injuries adding up he won't be much good to us 3-4 years from now, which if the plan goes well is when we should be competing in all seriousness. If we trade him now, well when he's healthy, we could get a nice return.

I'd hate to see him go but when he's healthy we win too much and heck, we aren't ready to compete yet. It plants a false sense that we are ready.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 11621
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: The Rebuild...

Postby SKYO » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:51 am

Hockey Widow wrote: It plants a false sense that we are ready.


Chris Tanev - the analytics KING - you want to win right now or in the the next couple years - he's your' man.
Canucks 2017/18
A NEW HOPE
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests