The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

micky107
CC Legend

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by micky107 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:01 am

ESQ wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 am
Who would you rather:

32 years old, $7.857 mil cap hit, under contract to age 40 Shea Weber; or

33 years old, $6.875 cap hit, under contract to age 39 Brent Seabrook?
Well, just for perspective, of course.
32 year old, (birthday was Friday), one year left on a 5 million cap hit contract.
Wants to stay and would more than likely, give a good discount of no more than 4 mill. on a 3 year deal.
Frugal?, maybe. That's what I'd do.
"evolution"

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 am

Blackhawks would add picks/prospects to Seabrook to shed that contract, and could retain 15%-20% salary possibly.

While the Habs would want a premium still for Weber out of pride's sake as they gave up PK Subban for that dude.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 am

The Hawks may finally be thinking, mmm, maybe "WE" should start thinking about gathering picks & prospects.
Dynasty officially done. oh-well. :lol:
"evolution"

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:29 pm

I should add for next season I'd like to see Brandon Sutter fully converted to right wing, only taking faceoffs, then playing right side as he is not a possession player, nor a playmaker, he's an opportunistic forechecker who can penalty kill and pop in 20ish goals on a good year.

I think Sutter would be better suited riding shotgun on Gaudette's line.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:50 pm

ESQ wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 am
Who would you rather:

32 years old, $7.857 mil cap hit, under contract to age 40 Shea Weber; or

33 years old, $6.875 cap hit, under contract to age 39 Brent Seabrook?
The last 3 years of Weber's contract are at just $1M per in real dollars.

He either retires at that point or easily traded to a cap-floor team.

(if he's on LTIR by then, he definitely gets traded to a cap floor team)

(hell, the 4th-last year of that contract is only $3M real dollars)

($4.5M is the minimum on any year in Seabrook's contract)

Unlike Seabrook's contract, Weber's does not have a NMC/NTC.

Weber still has plenty of game, Seabrook not so much.

So yeah, gimmee Mr Weber.

____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 am

SKYO wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 am
Blackhawks would add picks/prospects to Seabrook to shed that contract, and could retain 15%-20% salary possibly.

While the Habs would want a premium still for Weber out of pride's sake as they gave up PK Subban for that dude.
No way does Chicago retain on Seabrook. You may get picks, but the reality is Seabrook is still a top-3 D on most teams, and probably the best dman on this team.

Doc - with Weber, I guess we'd be on the other side of the Luongo rule? If he retires early, Nashville and Montreal get dinged for cap recapture and we don't?

Makes me think the asking price on Weber would be a lot higher, but I believe in the abilities of the imaginary GMs here to get her done!

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Seabrook isn’t better than Tanev and probably not better than Edler
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:27 pm
You mean, he's not better than the #1 and #2 on the "Worst Defence in the NHL"?

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:30 pm

ESQ wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:29 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:27 pm
You mean, he's not better than the #1 and #2 on the "Worst Defence in the NHL"?
At this stage of his career he probably isn’t.

He turns like a bus nowadays
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:36 pm

ESQ wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 am
Doc - with Weber, I guess we'd be on the other side of the Luongo rule? If he retires early, Nashville and Montreal get dinged for cap recapture and we don't?
Yup.
ESQ wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 am
Makes me think the asking price on Weber would be a lot higher, but I believe in the abilities of the imaginary GMs here to get her done!
Gotta love imaginary GMs! :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:23 am

I thought this was quite a funny look at how the Jets (re)built a team that's looking like a contender.

Spoiler alert - the key was patience. 15 players on the roster were drafted by the organization. Only 3 minor UFA acquisitions, 4 players acquired via trade.

Of course, the flip-side to this "model" is that
(a) it took an unbelievably long time for the franchise to win its first playoff game, made the playoffs twice in 18 years, and only once in the decade prior to this season.
(b) at the end of the day, the franchise's fortunes were turned by the lucky bounce in the lottery to get Laine.

My takeaway - to get the luck to win the lottery, you gotta be bad for a looooong time.

But could you even imagine this fanbase trying to handle a Jets-style (re)build?! :lol: :lol:

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Honestly, the key to most success is having a little bit of luck.

Whether it's the ability of players to stay healthy, get a slightly higher draft pick, having one of your later picks pan out and develop better than anticipated, have the puck take a bounce your way, etc.

And we are definitely due for some luck if nothing else!

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Whether it's the ability of players to stay healthy, get a slightly higher draft pick, having one of your later picks pan out and develop better than anticipated, have the puck take a bounce your way, etc.

True dat!

I'd say the TSN turning points for the Jets was #1 winning the lottery for Laine, and #2 having the 2011 7th OA pick Scheifele turn into a PPG center (in his draft +6 year).

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:12 pm

ESQ wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:38 pm
Aaronp18 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:17 pm

True dat!

I'd say the TSN turning points for the Jets was #1 winning the lottery for Laine, and #2 having the 2011 7th OA pick Scheifele turn into a PPG center (in his draft +6 year).
The Jets were built with their 1st or 2nd rounders mostly, they didn't have much luck in the later rounds since 2011 sans Hellebuyck in 5th round. But most definitely having some lotto luck really brought their team up a big notch, Laine is a true game changer.

And their defense big guns were via trade - they [atlanta] jumped on Byfuglien when the Blackhawks couldn't afford to re-sign him in 2010.

Chicago Blackhawks traded Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager, Brent Sopel and Akim Aliu to the Atlanta Thrashers for Marty Reasoner, Jeremy Morin, Joey Crabb, a 1st and a 2nd round selection in 2010.

Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman admitted that the deal was "simply a salary cap move."

"It's exactly what we set out to accomplish," he added. "To get some draft choices. ... There were a lot of other considerations and we're satisfied where we ended up."

Rick Dudley, who in April was promoted to general manager in Atlanta, said the deal made the Thrashers
"significantly better, immediately."
For Myers, the Jets were fortunate that Sabres Murray really wanted Kane..
The Jets sent Evander Kane, defenseman Zach Bogosian and goaltending prospect Jason Kasdorf to Buffalo for Sabres’ blueliner Tyler Myers, winger Drew Stafford, winger Joel Armia (former 2011 first-round pick/sixteenth overall), the rights to Brendan Lemieux (former 2014 second-round pick/31st overall), and a first-round pick (25th overall) in the 2015 NHL draft, which became center Jack Roslovic.

Kevin Cheveldayoff: “I’m excited about what this trade brings to our organization,”. “At the end of the day, it is a big deal, but we think it’s something that’s going to help us both in the short term and really help us in the long term.”

Murray, in the midst of a rebuilding process with the Sabres, said he knew getting Kane would be expensive. “Either you’re in and you know you’re going to pay a big price, or you’re out,” said Murray. “[Evander] is going to be a big part of any success we have here. He plays hard. He plays in traffic. He doesn’t play a perimeter game. He plays the game right.”
https://thehockeywriters.com/evander-ka ... bres-jets/
What can the Canucks take away from those deals is, use cap space & picks wisely to steal a dman that a team can't afford.

We don't really have a Kane type to make that Jets/Sabres splash, but our big trade chips are Edler and Tanev, with a couple young dmen and a lot of younger wingers.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:27 pm

ESQ wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:23 am
But could you even imagine this fanbase trying to handle a Jets-style (re)build?! :lol: :lol:
I get a kick out of this elitist horseshit. What history of excellence should we feel entitled to?

This franchise has iced some horrible teams and the Canucks are still here.

If the fans in Vancouver are so fair weathered then they should move the franchise to Seattle.