The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by SKYO »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: I think everyone here is comfortable with a change in plans, and everyone likes the new plan.
Great.
Ronning's Ghost wrote: The dispute is that there is a faction here that maintains that this has been the plan all along

and I'm perfectly prepared to be impressed with how he manages an actual rebuild, now that everyone is clear that that is the mission.

The delay in getting started on that will almost certainly mean that any future success will come too late to meet my criterion for genius management,
As for "the plan" of a rebuild from the get-go, it has some merit, due to the fact the team got younger slowly at first, with acquiring younger players who were 'further along in their development' which worked a bit (baertschi/granlund, and some failed like Willie Desjardin's boys ala Linden Vey)...+astute drafts, yes even though we traded picks to get certain players, team still has done well in their picks, not quantity but good quality picks, so it helps we have a GM whose history is scouting.

Another reason it was good to let Willie go, as it seems management got some input from Willie right away on younger player's to target that WD has coached before, then entire meme's and internet frenzy was made about willie's boys.

As for Trevor Linden I don't really know what a president should be doing day-to-day in the NHL lol but a great example would be Blackhawks prez John McDonough:
In 2007, McDonough left the Cubs and became president of the Chicago Blackhawks, Chicago's National Hockey League franchise. In his tenure with the team, the Blackhawks have moved quickly to revitalize the team’s profile and fan base, in what Forbes Magazine called “The Greatest Sports-Business Turnaround Ever.” Since McDonough joined the Blackhawks, the team has won Stanley Cup titles in 2010, 2013 and 2015, becoming the first organization in the NHL’s salary cap era to capture three championships.

Upon his arrival to the Blackhawks, McDonough welcomed back Hall of Famers Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita and Tony Esposito as team ambassadors, and helped foster a landmark partnership with WGN Television and Comcast SportsNet which allowed all 82 regular-season games to be broadcast on television for the first time in team history. The Blackhawks also announced a partnership with Chicago’s WGN Radio 720 to become the team’s new radio broadcast rightsholder.

McDonough was also instrumental in bringing the NHL Winter Classic 2009 to Chicago, a contest which matched up the Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings in front of 40,818 at Wrigley Field on January 1, 2009. The game drew an 11.8 overnight rating and a 21 share on NBC in Chicago, making it the most-watched NHL game in almost 34 years.

The Blackhawks franchise has undergone an enormous transformation under McDonough’s leadership; since 2007, the team’s season ticketholder base has more than tripled, and the Blackhawks have sold out 340 straight home contests and counting, leading the league in average attendance each season since 2008-09. In less than two years since McDonough’s arrival, the Blackhawks organization jumped from 118th (2007) to 16th (2010) in ESPN Magazine’s Ultimate Standings. The organization’s ranking marked the best among Chicago’s professional sports teams. In 2012, a survey of SportsBusiness Journal readers voted the Blackhawks the NHL team for which they'd most like to work. In the 2015 SportsBusiness Journal survey, the Blackhawks were the highest-ranked NHL team in the category “Team that represents the ‘model franchise’ in all of North American sports.
Helps they 'tanked' and got Kane and Toews to build around, ya know after the dynasty like blackhawks developed their role players and notably dmen Keith and Seabrook with some rough years. (why I'm glad we got Juolevi & tryamkin to develop for these rough years)

As for Benning I'm happy with his drafts and trying to get free agents from from juniors, college and overseas.

His biggest test will be trying to trade a dman plus maybe a forward for a young power forward, I think he's been after one for a long time to no avail as the other wants too much in return.

Might even better to deal a dman + for a 1st rounder to draft a big fella.

And finally management really needs to pick the right coach to lead this young group, it's a pivotal time folks in the rebuild.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovocop
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I love Patrick ?

I said he's a top 2 pick in a draft that is a bit weaker..... he's a centre which this team needs among other things and I would be fine with either him or Nico. Tanev is one of my favourite Canucks, Sutter plain sucks even if he could stay healthy and Jake is trending towards being a bust regardless of his health. Goldobin has scored 4 goals in 2 games in the AHL. The Fake has 9 goals in 67 games. They were picked in the same draft.
Virtanen and Goldobin are two different types of players. JV is a power forward. I am not saying he will be the next Neely or Bertuzzi but JV brings something that the Canucks sorely lack, a top 6 or 9 with size and grit. On the other hand, Goldobin is a skilled forward. If he doesn't score, he brings nothing else to the team.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Except he isn't a power forward. Never really was. He overpowered some tiny kids in junior but when he met his match against men he changed his style. Either that or his shoulder is so damaged he can't play a physical game. Either way at this point he is a long shot to make much of an impact in the NHL. He needs at least one more full year in the minors and he needs to produce. You don't reward a putrid season like that.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Benjo
CC Veteran

Post by Benjo »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Except he isn't a power forward. Never really was. He overpowered some tiny kids in junior but when he met his match against men he changed his style. Either that or his shoulder is so damaged he can't play a physical game. Either way at this point he is a long shot to make much of an impact in the NHL. He needs at least one more full year in the minors and he needs to produce. You don't reward a putrid season like that.
Virts problem is between the ears. He sucks at anticipating the play and by the time he gets to the player he wants to crush, the pucks long gone and he gets an interference penalty or suspension. He has raw tools, but I feel he'll always lack on thinking the game.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benjo wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Except he isn't a power forward. Never really was. He overpowered some tiny kids in junior but when he met his match against men he changed his style. Either that or his shoulder is so damaged he can't play a physical game. Either way at this point he is a long shot to make much of an impact in the NHL. He needs at least one more full year in the minors and he needs to produce. You don't reward a putrid season like that.
Virts problem is between the ears. He sucks at anticipating the play and by the time he gets to the player he wants to crush, the pucks long gone and he gets an interference penalty or suspension. He has raw tools, but I feel he'll always lack on thinking the game.
Practically every Canuck fan and local media member was happy to be drafting Virtanen, the local kid, power forward blah, blah, blah. Now it's after the fact, and Benning is an idiot for drafting him and not William Nylander whom at the time nobody in this market wanted to touch Girl Face. Blobbee keeps going on about size and grit and toughness and Don Cherry Canadiana, no fucking way the Bloobees wanted Girl Face over the local power forward who could be the next Cam Neely. He will argue he wanted Ritchie but no offence to Ritchie, he can't hold a candle to Nylander. It is what it is, it's a crap shoot always, the draft is. Win some ya lose some, We won on Boeser and Tryamkin and Demko and Gaudette and Lockwood and Brisebios and Horvat and Juolevi (and no Blobbee, Oli won't be a bust), we lost on Shinkaruk, Virtanen and McCann. It's still a winning record at the Benning draft table unlike the losing record at the Gillis draft table. Which is all you can ask for batting above .500. Benning is batting .750. Gillis batted .125.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

....and Benning turned McCann and Shinkaruk into good serviceable parts that we needed.

From all accounts Virtanen did everything that was asked of him. This off season will be telling for him. Has he learned what he needs to do to carve out and NHL career or he will he be glad the season is over and go back to his old ways? There is a roster spot that is his for the taking if he puts in a good off season and shows up at camp ready to take it.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Benjo wrote:
Well then as long as he stays away from the party life, takes care of his health, becomes stronger, we should stay patient with him, took Kassian much longer to come around thanks to that lifestyle, he's now 26, Virtanen is only 20.

Virtanen won't be a superstar but at his prime if he can score 20+ goals, play a 200ft game while playing that aggressive, chippy game with some heat seeking missile like body checks, he'll be a quality top 6 guy.

Since he's not the next Cam Neely, for now we should develop him in the bottom six, low pressure, keep his game simple, you get a feeling if we dealt him, with time he'd eventually start off as 3rd/4th liner then blossom to a energetic top 6 guy.

If he can overcome that diva lifestyle and be a pro, he can be a good mentor to another prospect if we ever get another guy like that, as he's been through that.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:....and Benning turned McCann and Shinkaruk into good serviceable parts that we needed.

From all accounts Virtanen did everything that was asked of him. This off season will be telling for him. Has he learned what he needs to do to carve out and NHL career or he will he be glad the season is over and go back to his old ways? There is a roster spot that is his for the taking if he puts in a good off season and shows up at camp ready to take it.
So his lack of production this season has no bearing on him playing in the NHL next season ? Have a good summer and and you get an NHL job. I can't see it. This isn't a 4th line project, he's a top 6 pick. He HAS to start actually producing at the AHL level and start getting some confidence at putting the puck in the net. This whole diatribe about him going down there and doing what they told him to do is a load of shit. I watched him play five times and have read reports on his play and he hasn't not been very effective at all. Giving him a job after a half dozen good pre season games would be a massive mistake.

I'm pulling for the kid but at this point he needs to start seriously improving.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well Virtanen is a prospect now, shouldn't matter where he's drafted, 1st round or 2nd round, if a prospect needs development, he needs development.

I agree though, another year in the AHL will do him some good, the big winger with a nice shot Anthony Mantha went that route, full time in the A with some call-ups here and there, but mostly a full two good season's with Grand Rapids Griffins, now he's a rippin' it up with Detroit.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:....and Benning turned McCann and Shinkaruk into good serviceable parts that we needed.
Granlund is working out so far, but we'll have to see what Gudbranson's deal looks like. We need someone that could do things he's supposed to do (physical, mean, top-4)... but he was not good this year, certainly not worth what we gave up for him.

This is one of the annoying things about Benning, he gets his tunnel vision and will give up whatever it takes to get the specific player he wants. Often, he overrates the player he's acquiring (Sutter, Gudbranson have been oversold). The Canucks could use a Malkin, but I wouldn't want Benning giving up Horvat, Juolevi, the 2nd overall this year, and our next 4 first round picks. Just because we need something, doesn't mean we should acquire it any cost.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

So his lack of production this season has no bearing on him playing in the NHL next season ? Have a good summer and and you get an NHL job. I can't see it. This isn't a 4th line project, he's a top 6 pick. He HAS to start actually producing at the AHL level and start getting some confidence at putting the puck in the net. This whole diatribe about him going down there and doing what they told him to do is a load of shit. I watched him play five times and have read reports on his play and he hasn't not been very effective at all. Giving him a job after a half dozen good pre season games would be a massive mistake.

I'm pulling for the kid but at this point he needs to start seriously improving.
Emphasis on " if he puts in a good off season and shows up at camp ready to take it we are saying the same things Blob. I've never advocated for handing a kid a job. I've been critical of how both Virtanen and McCann were handed jobs. I've said all along Jake would probably be better served with another year in Utica.

I'm the one who called him 40 watt. I'm just not ready to pronounce him dead yet.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Have you finished the book draft on Granlund yet, Bubbles? Can't wait to read it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Wot duz Granlund have to do with a Virtanen?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Wot duz Granlund have to do with a Virtanen?

Your books, you haven't written the book on Granlund yet, but have written it on Virtanen. Can't wait until I read the Granlund book, talking Pulitzer Prize potential here.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote:Well Virtanen is a prospect now, shouldn't matter where he's drafted, 1st round or 2nd round, if a prospect needs development, he needs development.

I agree though, another year in the AHL will do him some good, the big winger with a nice shot Anthony Mantha went that route, full time in the A with some call-ups here and there, but mostly a full two good season's with Grand Rapids Griffins, now he's a rippin' it up with Detroit.
Ultimately he needs to have some success in the A for a prolonged period whether it's 40 games or 70. He needs to pan out as a top 9 forward that puts up some decent numbers for it not to be colossal blunder.