The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:It's actually funny reading some people screaming for a rebuild but can't recognize that's exactly what Benning has been doing. But I guess if he called it a rebuild instead of a transition it would change everything he has done.
I... don't really get this either. What's left to rebuild? The Sedin's, Edler, and Tanev? Benning's playing with a brand new deck, and he picked all the cards.
Exactly! To the clowns at TSN 1040 it won't be a rebuild until we railroad the Sedins out of town.
They live in bubbles.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:
herb wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:It's actually funny reading some people screaming for a rebuild but can't recognize that's exactly what Benning has been doing. But I guess if he called it a rebuild instead of a transition it would change everything he has done.
I... don't really get this either. What's left to rebuild? The Sedin's, Edler, and Tanev? Benning's playing with a brand new deck, and he picked all the cards.
Exactly! To the clowns at TSN 1040 it won't be a rebuild until we railroad the Sedins out of town.
They live in bubbles.
It wasn't a rebuild until now because Dan Hamhuis and Radim Vrbata refused to waive. :roll:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote:
Topper wrote:
herb wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
They live in bubbles.
It wasn't a rebuild until now because Dan Hamhuis and Radim Vrbata refused to waive. :roll:
Yep, time for the rebels to REPENT.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Again who are these people ?
How's that "eight by twelve two bit room"?
Bubbles wants to smoke your old stogie! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Again who are these people ?
How's that "eight by twelve two bit room"?
Bubbles wants to smoke your old stogie! :mrgreen:
Hey! :devil:
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Strangelove wrote:Yep, time for the rebels to REPENT.
Most of this board set the threshold for genius-level management at "Canucks reach conference finals by 2020".

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10898

I think that is a little over-generous, and set higher standards for genius-level performance myself, but if it happens, I will enthusiastically repent. Until then, I remain skeptical.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I think it's quite logical for linden to avoid the label "rebuild"

Why force his own hand?

If he's in a classic rebuild then the coach must put rookies in spots they might not be able to handle because everyone is an expert in assessing talent.

Benning has to magically dump veterans on expiring contracts for draft picks in a market where where 15 other teams are doing the same.

And they can't touch the free agent market because handing out contracts to vets is a anethema to the concept of a rebuild.

Far far better to say and do what he has said and done. Keep open every avenue available to improve the roster while turning over those ridiculous NMC and no trade contracts stocks piled by the Gillis years.

Restock the decade long drought in the prospect pool.

Get younger and faster, while still trying to provide a sheltered environment of veterans in order to not destroy the confidence and attitudes of those prospects that are auditioning for the future by having the blind lead the blind a la Edmonton, Colorado and
Others.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ukcanuck wrote:I think it's quite logical for linden to avoid the label "rebuild"

Why force his own hand?
Why acknowledge reality? Maybe it would instil some confidence that this management team had a viable plan for the franchise. We know why he doesn't, because it would acknowledge the "while remaining competitive bit" plan has not worked. Everyone knows it hasn't worked, but changing the tone to "three years in" makes it sound like this has been the plan all along. Clearly, it was never the plan to finish as a bottom-feeding team in back-to-back seasons.
ukcanuck wrote: If he's in a classic rebuild an idiot then the coach must put rookies in spots they might not be able to handle because everyone is an expert in assessing talent.
Fixed.
ukcanuck wrote:Benning has to magically dump veterans on expiring contracts for draft picks in a market where where 15 other teams are doing the same.
Isn't this called "doing his job"?
ukcanuck wrote:And they can't touch the free agent market because handing out contracts to vets is a anethema to the concept of a rebuild.
Why? UFA is a great place to find cheap, placeholders that cost nothing to acquire. Shitty teams should not be handing out big-money, big-term contracts to UFA's (see: Eriksson, Loui).
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

herb wrote:
Topper wrote:
herb wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
They live in bubbles.
I could honestly care less if it's called a rebuild or a retool.That doesn't excuse the poor decisions that have been made by this management team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I could honestly care less if it's called a rebuild or a retool.That doesn't excuse the poor decisions that have been made by this management team.
Hey Blob, given how you disagree with many of the decisions management has made let's make you GM for a day...

The team has 2 significant contracts to deal with this off season, Horvats and Tryamkins...

Tell us the term and dollars you'd give each and why...

I'd like to hear how a good GM handles these contracts.

Take care
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rikster wrote:
Hey Blob, given how you disagree with many of the decisions management has made let's make you GM for a day...

The team has 2 significant contracts to deal with this off season, Horvats and Tryamkins...

Take care
Bubbles and Nuckles have all the answers. Like Trumps main campaign catch phrase "it's going to be so easy" it's sad to see two long time CC'ers turn into Tony Gallagher since their boi Gillis was fired by Rogers Arena
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Moving forward my list of good management decisions would be:

1. Signing Sutter as coach
2. Not trading any defense away letting the new coach have depth on D
3. Signing Gudbranson to a one or two year "show me" deal.
4. Signing Horvat to an 8 year deal for less than 6 million
5. Signing Groot to an 8 year deal for around 4 million
6. Only penciling in 8 forwards on the Canucks - Hank, Dank, Bo, Bear, Sutter, Granlund, Eriksson, and Dorsett
7. Using Miller's money to help sign FA forwards
8. Signing 5 respectable FA forwards to short term contracts
9. Planning to start all rookies in Utica to create team depth when injuries inevitably occur
10. Waiving all tweeners to Utica - including Boucher, Megna, Chaput and Gaunce
11. Finding a cheap competent FA placeholder goalie to replace Miller for one year till Demko is ready
12. Trading down in the draft and acquiring another first round draft pick in the much deeper 2018 draft
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rikster wrote:

Take care
Rikster I have been on board with some of managements decisions. I don't hate everything they've done and I have given Elmer credit when he has made decent moves.

To your question I would add Erik Gudbranson in there as well.

I would get Horvat on an eight year deal if I could. He is everything you want in a player and his desire to constantly improve is impressive. He is a guy you can build a team around. So does 5 - 5.5 million per year get it done ? That's what I'd like to see.

Big Nikita needs to be brought back. He is a future top 4 guy and he improved leaps and bounds this year. A great draft pick by Elmer. I'd think a two or three year deal at 2.5 million should get it done.

Gudbranson is a tough one. He can walk July 1, 2018 if they only sign him to a one year deal. That would be poor asset management to say the least. He was a little underwhelming in his 30 games here but I like a lot about this player. Try and get him on a three year deal under 4 million per. If he wants to sign a one year show me contract then I guess they could re-up him for longer term Jan 1 if they like what they see.

I hope the Aquilinis are not giving Elmer the green light to go nuts in free agency this year. Sign a couple guys to mid level one year contracts and flog them at next years deadline. Keep as much cap space this year as you can and then you have the twins and Sbisa freeing up another 18 million. Get rid of Sutter any way you can and try and resurrect Louis Eriksson.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
rikster wrote:

Take care
Bubbles and Nuckles have all the answers. Like Trumps main campaign catch phrase "it's going to be so easy" it's sad to see two long time CC'ers turn into Tony Gallagher since their boi Gillis was fired by Rogers Arena
Brilliant response !!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Good decisions moving forward for me

Draft Liljegern if we don't end up in the top 2 draft positions ( I think he's the best player available after Hischier and Patrick) the Swedish Doughty and bring him to the NHL next season

Keep Juolevi up with big club.

Trade Tanev for a good young forward in that 23-24 year old range

Trade Edler for a good young forward. The 6'-3" 200 lb Brisebios or the 6'-3" 200 lb McEneny or your future Edler replacements

Sign Miller to two years

Cook Demko for another year

Get rid of journeymen Megna, Boucher, Chaput, Skille

See what Molina and Shore can provide

Gaunces last chance

Sign Horvat, Tryamkin and Gudbranson

Virtanen back to Utica

Boeser stays

Start work on getting your farm team in California with the rest of the Pacific NHL teams
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau