The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by theman »

Hockey Widow wrote:The sense is that Dallas wants Tanev and the 5OA for the 3OA. That's a deal I don't make. The cost of Tanev just to move up two spots, no thanks. But as McKenzie said, Tanev for just the 3OA is still a high price for the Canucks. But I would do that one for a lot of reasons.

Although Buffalo's 8OA plus Kane would intrigue me. I doubt they throw in Reinhardt with the pick. That's the weed talking.
I would not make that trade either. Tanev for 3OA and their late first I would. I would even throw in a 4th or 5th rounder. no thanks to Kane.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
SKYO wrote:I'd keep Baertchi, he and Bo actually have great chemistry, with a team lacking much of that, might as well keep what little chemistry we have.
True, I just think much of Baercheese's success is because of BoHo, Bo is the one driving the bus and carrying the line. Bo seems to play well whoever he's with. I remember in his rookie year, he was with Dorsett-Hansen on the 4th line and they were pretty good together (almost elite 4th line). As for Baer, I haven't noticed him playing really well when he's with other guys.
I don't see Baertschi getting us over the top in any trade, with no GM aggressively asking for Sven in a deal, thus combined with his cheap contract, chemistry with Horvat, not afraid to attack the net, likely getting over 40 points if healthy for the year, I see no reason to try to deal him at this point.
Despite the exhaustion of playing his third game in three nights, Brock Boeser performed well, with six shot attempts, two of them on goal. He nearly had his second goal in as many games after a slick passing play by Bo Horvat and Ben Hutton, but Mark Scheifele tied him up as he drove to the net. The early returns on the chemistry between Horvat, Boeser, and Sven Baertschi are encouraging, which is good, because they’ll pretty much be the first line next season.

Their line created the opening goal with 21 seconds left in the first period, as Baertschi won a puck battle behind the net with some swift stick work, then found Horvat, who relayed the puck to the point. While Chris Tanev moved the puck to Alex Edler, Baertschi set up in front and shoved Josh Morrissey in front of goaltender Michael Hutchinson and Edler’s point shot deflected in off Morrissey’s leg. I choose to believe that Baertschi did that intentionally, mainly because I used to believe that about the Sedins, but they’ve deteriorated to the point that I’m not sure they do anything intentionally any more. I need to believe at least one person on the Canucks is a wizard.
http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bu ... 1.13022730
Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser seem to have instant chemistry and should be a solid youthful energetic scoring line moving forward.

Bart and Bo seem to be good pals as well, so lets not piss off our future captain during negotiations hey!? :D

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... the-sedins
In the Canucks’ final 43 games last season [2015/16], linemates Baertschi and Horvat outscored the Sedins 47 points to 46.

The step they took last year was exactly the step I wanted to see,” Daniel Sedin said. “The last half they were really good. If they can do that for a whole season, who knows where they’ll end up.

“But if you want to be top-line players, you’ve got to bring it for 80 games. You have to want to be the go-to guys. You want to get the power-play time, the offensive faceoffs, be out there at the end of the game. That’s why you play hockey. And if you ask Sven and Bo, they want the same thing. I hope they do, at least.

#22 “I look more at Sven’s game because I’m a winger myself. I see that (drive) in him. He’s a guy I can see really take off this year. To me, Sven is a more skilled player than I am. So I watch him, too. I might not ask him about it, but I’m watching him to see how he does things. He has all the tools to be a great player.”

Horvat said. “Even if we’re not on the same line, we’re talking about what we think we should do and what’s best for us to help the team win and get on the scoresheet. We’re pretty good buddies off the ice and I think we have good chemistry on the ice, too. The main thing is we respect each other as hockey players. We know what each other can do.
Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser ftw. down the road I can see Boeser play with our future center we hopefully acquire via draft or trade.

Ideally Virtanen if he can develop would be the right fit with Bart-Bo as well, as he provides some much needed grit to that line, another tool to help em take off.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

So Vcr takes Cody Glass in TSN draft preview today...over Vilardi. Who knows anything about this kid? The write up is good on him but what i saw of Vilardi in the memorial cup screams gold.

6'2" and 179 lbs at 18 yrs old not bad at all
Cody Glass:
A dangerous two-way center that thinks the game at a high level, never making the same mistake twice. He is analytical and patient in the development of his strengths. He transitions up-ice quickly and is able to create and dictate offensive chances on the rush. He attacks hard and fast and consistently displays excellent puck control. His decision making is very good, indicative of his high level of hockey sense. He plays a complete game and elevates his play as energy levels rise. At the next level, he will need to be even faster and more physically assertive to make his presence felt. All-in-all, an intense, quick-thinking competitor that can elicit a crowd's excitement when he's on the ice. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.ph ... S5I7Q.dpuf
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...the Stars will draft 3rd, the Canucks will draft 5th, Tanev stays a Canuck. Enough already
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

RoyalDude wrote:Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...the Stars will draft 3rd, the Canucks will draft 5th, Tanev stays a Canuck. Enough already
Back to reality eh?
All the hype
All the, let's do this, lets do that
Dreaming and excitement of block-buster moves
Then a moment of clarity comes along and the realization that no matter how it's wrapped,
you know what's in the box.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...the Stars will draft 3rd, the Canucks will draft 5th, Tanev stays a Canuck. Enough already
Agreed RD, most rumours are made by talking heads or in forums like this. I do not expect any major deals with the Nucks and we start with what finished last season.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Heres a damn good article about the team.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vanc ... t-preview/
Vancouver Canucks 2017 NHL Draft preview

Iain MacIntyre
June 19, 2017, 2:09 PM

From their roulette-wheel loss that cost them a chance to draft Gilbert Perreault as an expansion team in 1970 – the consolation prize of Dale Tallon turned into a respected general manager – the Vancouver Canucks have had as much good luck as they have Stanley Cups.

So, the curb-stomping the Canucks suffered in the last two draft lotteries was as predictable as it was characteristic for a franchise known chiefly for its failures despite a prolonged period of NHL excellence at the start of this century.

The Canucks head to Chicago this week holding the fifth overall draft pick instead of the second despite finishing 29th in the 30-team league. Last year, they picked fifth instead of third after finishing 28th.

It is clear the NHL draft lottery is less a policing mechanism against tanking than a get-rich-quick scheme open to all non-playoff teams, which has turned the secretive “lottery” into a fan spectacle. Great for everyone, except the most-needy teams.

After a 10-season run by the Canucks ended in 2013 with 443 wins, seven division titles and five trips to the second round of the playoffs, general manager Jim Benning and hockey-ops president Trevor Linden have struggled to rebuild a team that became old and stale and was devoid of prospects after previous regimes traded away draft picks for rentals and chose poorly with the picks they retained.

Starting in 2007, the Canucks had a run of first-round picks that included Patrick White, Cody Hodgson, Jordan Schroeder and Nicklas Jensen. And until 2013 first-rounder Bo Horvat made the team as a 19-year-old, the previous most recent Canuck draft picks in their lineup, Alex Edler and Jannik Hansen, had been chosen in 2004.

Think about that a minute.

From this mighty black hole, the Canucks are only now starting to emerge.

Through better drafting (we think), the aggressive pursuit of free agents out of college and junior hockey and a couple of deadline trades in February, Benning has thickened the Canucks’ deck of prospect cards considerably since he replaced Mike Gillis as GM in 2014.

But he remains glaringly short of aces, which is why this draft is vital to a franchise that hasn’t been this poor on the ice since the 1990s.

Drafting second, the Canucks would have snared Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier. But at No. 5, assuming Benning doesn’t trade down for volume, the team will still get a promising centre like Cody Glass or Gabriel Valardi or maybe dynamic defenceman Cale Makar.

The five-hole equals the Canucks’ highest draft position since Daniel and Henrik Sedin were selected second- and third-overall by Brian Burke in 1999. And with four picks in the top 64 spots and six selections in the first four rounds, the Canucks haven’t had this many at-bats in the top half of the draft since the NHL was a 26-team league 20 years ago.

“I want us to hit on those top four picks,” Benning says. “I want them to be NHL players and continue to add to our prospect pool.

“We want to add skill to our group. Whether it’s a playmaking centre or defenceman who can run our power play on the back end, we want to continue to add skill pieces to our group.”

Winger Brock Boeser, the Canucks’ first-rounder in 2015, scored four times in nine games after joining the Canucks straight from the University of North Dakota late in the season. And with enticing prospects Jonathan Dahlen and Nikolay Goldobin acquired by Benning in deadline trades for Alex Burrows and Jannik Hansen, the Canucks finally have a little prospect depth on the wings.

After missing out on Pierre-Luc Dubois a year ago, when Benning made Olli Juolevi the first defenceman chosen, the Canucks were expected to target a centre exclusively in this year’s draft. But the surprise return to Russia for family reasons of Nikita Tryamkin after an encouraging rookie season diminished what had looked like a strong corps of young defencemen in Vancouver.

The team has long needed a power play quarterback, but Tryamkin’s defection to the Kontinental League – at the likely cost of millions of dollars – opened another spot on the blue line.

Benning will select a centre or defenceman at No. 5.

“When I look at our organization, I see those as our two biggest needs,” he said. “We’re going to look at everything. If we feel we can trade down and still get a grouping of players we really like, we’ll look into that. But having said that, though, in the five-hole we can get a player. . . who has a potential to be a really good player and a building block for our team.”

The Canucks need a few more of those.

Tape II Tape
Ryan Dixon and Rory Boylen go deep on pucks with a mix of facts and fun, leaning on a varied group of hockey voices to give their take on the country’s most beloved game.
Listen Now | Subscribe | Boylen on Twitter | Dixon on Twitter
2017 Draft Picks
With four picks in the top 64, there is a lot riding on this draft for Benning and the Canucks. The team is at its nadir on the ice, finishing in the bottom three the past two seasons. And after a lot of mixed-messaging, Linden finally used the R-word in April: “rebuilding.”

Younger, faster and with more prospects than when Linden and Benning took over from Gillis three years ago, the Canucks still need skill, depth, size and toughness. They need everything, but will focus in Chicago on drafting a playmaking centre or a defenceman capable of running a power play and contributing offence.

55 (from Columbus)
112 (from San Jose)

CANUCKS’ TOP THREE PROSPECTS IN THE SYSTEM

Brock Boeser, 20, RW — After 43 goals and 94 points in 74 games at the University of North Dakota, this robust winger turned pro last March and had four goals in nine games with the Canucks.

Thatcher Demko, 21, G — Demko has been considered the Canucks’ goalie-of-the-future since he was picked 36th in 2014, and the 6-foot-4 netminder who draws comparisons to Cory Schneider has done nothing to diminish that projection.

Olli Juolevi, 19, D — Fifth overall pick from 2016 plays a refined game and has the skating and puck-moving abilities that have become the foundation of good NHL defences.

TWO PLAYERS WHO MAY BE AVAILABLE IN ROUND 1

Cody Glass, C, Portland, WHL — Glass has the playmaking skills the Canucks need in a potential successor to top centre Henrik Sedin, but also possesses size and mobility.

Cale Makar, D, Brooks, AJHL — Canucks haven’t had a natural power-play quarterback since Christian Ehrhoff left in 2011, and Makar is the best offensive defenceman in this draft.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
SKYO wrote:I'd keep Baertchi, he and Bo actually have great chemistry, with a team lacking much of that, might as well keep what little chemistry we have.
True, I just think much of Baercheese's success is because of BoHo, Bo is the one driving the bus and carrying the line. Bo seems to play well whoever he's with. I remember in his rookie year, he was with Dorsett-Hansen on the 4th line and they were pretty good together (almost elite 4th line). As for Baer, I haven't noticed him playing really well when he's with other guys.
I don't see Baertschi getting us over the top in any trade, with no GM aggressively asking for Sven in a deal, thus combined with his cheap contract, chemistry with Horvat, not afraid to attack the net, likely getting over 40 points if healthy for the year, I see no reason to try to deal him at this point.
Despite the exhaustion of playing his third game in three nights, Brock Boeser performed well, with six shot attempts, two of them on goal. He nearly had his second goal in as many games after a slick passing play by Bo Horvat and Ben Hutton, but Mark Scheifele tied him up as he drove to the net. The early returns on the chemistry between Horvat, Boeser, and Sven Baertschi are encouraging, which is good, because they’ll pretty much be the first line next season.

Their line created the opening goal with 21 seconds left in the first period, as Baertschi won a puck battle behind the net with some swift stick work, then found Horvat, who relayed the puck to the point. While Chris Tanev moved the puck to Alex Edler, Baertschi set up in front and shoved Josh Morrissey in front of goaltender Michael Hutchinson and Edler’s point shot deflected in off Morrissey’s leg. I choose to believe that Baertschi did that intentionally, mainly because I used to believe that about the Sedins, but they’ve deteriorated to the point that I’m not sure they do anything intentionally any more. I need to believe at least one person on the Canucks is a wizard.
http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bu ... 1.13022730
Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser seem to have instant chemistry and should be a solid youthful energetic scoring line moving forward.

Bart and Bo seem to be good pals as well, so lets not piss off our future captain during negotiations hey!? :D

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/n ... the-sedins
In the Canucks’ final 43 games last season [2015/16], linemates Baertschi and Horvat outscored the Sedins 47 points to 46.

The step they took last year was exactly the step I wanted to see,” Daniel Sedin said. “The last half they were really good. If they can do that for a whole season, who knows where they’ll end up.

“But if you want to be top-line players, you’ve got to bring it for 80 games. You have to want to be the go-to guys. You want to get the power-play time, the offensive faceoffs, be out there at the end of the game. That’s why you play hockey. And if you ask Sven and Bo, they want the same thing. I hope they do, at least.

#22 “I look more at Sven’s game because I’m a winger myself. I see that (drive) in him. He’s a guy I can see really take off this year. To me, Sven is a more skilled player than I am. So I watch him, too. I might not ask him about it, but I’m watching him to see how he does things. He has all the tools to be a great player.”

Horvat said. “Even if we’re not on the same line, we’re talking about what we think we should do and what’s best for us to help the team win and get on the scoresheet. We’re pretty good buddies off the ice and I think we have good chemistry on the ice, too. The main thing is we respect each other as hockey players. We know what each other can do.
Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser ftw. down the road I can see Boeser play with our future center we hopefully acquire via draft or trade.

Ideally Virtanen if he can develop would be the right fit with Bart-Bo as well, as he provides some much needed grit to that line, another tool to help em take off.
Didn't Boeser play more minutes with the Sedins than Bart and Bo? I'm pretty sure that the Twins earned points on 3 of his 4 goals. Could be wrong, but I do recall him seeing quite a few minutes with them over the last 6 games.

Both twins actually looked a little revitalized by the injection of his speed, youth, and willingness to go to scoring areas.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Aye B Shocked, if Makar and Heiskanen make it to 5. I'm for real
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

If Makar lands on the Canucks laps they gotta take him, but with New Jersey really wanting him it's looking like Makar won't be available by #5. Dallas might keep #3 until they see what NJ wants to do, doubt NJ will fork over any top 4 d or top 6 wingers to trade down to #3, so it's a gridlock of teams waiting to see what NJ does.

Dallas should have a trade in place for #3 in case NJ just keeps their pick and drafts Patrick/Hischier.

I lowkey think this is Benning's greatest work building up Heiskanen, Makar and Liljegren so Vilardi can fall to #5
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Hischier
Patrick
Makar
Heiskanen

And instead of picking Glass or Vilardi , Elmer picks Casey Armitage

He can be the number one center on the Special Olympics squad
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Chef Boi RD's choice at 5

First - Makar
Second - Heiskanen
Third - Glass
Fourth - Vilardi

Totally choice
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

The d men won't be there at 5

Elmer will pick Helmet Head
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote:The d men won't be there at 5

The photos of him running sideways like a tard and unable to do a single chin up dropped his ass almost right out of the top 10. I'd say it comes down to Glass and Vilardi
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:The d men won't be there at 5

The photos of him running sideways like a tard and unable to do a single chin up dropped his ass almost right out of the top 10. I'd say it comes down to Glass and Vilardi
Blobbee's favourite - Sam Bennett was a bigger embarrassement on the pull ups. Much publicized.