The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by 2Fingers »

Skyo please explain to us how a no nothing university player is supposed to be a stop gap for this team. Unless I am mis reading what you wrote, and I could be, he would help this team until we get a bonafide forward?
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Kerfoot will be turning 23 years old in a couple months, he's no spring chicken, he has elusive speed, two-way ability superb on-ice vision/hockey sense with an above average passing skill, all which should make him a decent bottom six center pretty quick.

After Horvat and Henrik, Kerfoot would probably be the 3rd best center at setting up his wingers with superb passes.

A lot of NCAA players who come out of college are pretty good right away in the NHL due to all practice, training and years going by to strengthen up.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

ESQ wrote:
SKYO wrote: Team would just need a stop gap playmaker for the next couple of years like Kerfoot who seems more and more likely to reach UFA.
I think you've cracked the code! That explains why JB has been saying he's looking at a dman at #5.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Boy, I'd luv to see JB get that 3rd pick from Dallas. I wouldn't mind offering Tanev+ for it (throw in Bearcheese?).
Dayum, that is an aggressive proposal! I dig it. I don't think Tanev+ a 2nd would get it done.
Tanev and Baertschi is too much.
Moves like this are impatient and irresponsible.
If you believe in our general manager's ability to find talent, why would you want to deplete the team to the point
of almost complete ineptitude?
That would not make for a very good atmosphere for developing our team over the next couple of years.
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

micky107 wrote: Tanev and Baertschi is too much.
If you believe in our general manager's ability to find talent, why would you want to deplete the team to the point
That would not make for a very good atmosphere for developing our team over the next couple of years.

Well, I think we have a lot of wingers in the similar mold of Baercheese (dinky forward types): Granlund, Boucher, Rodin, Goldolbin, Dahlen, etc. For whatever reason, I was never big on Baer and I think some of those other guys have better potential than him. I wouldn't mind selling high on Baer. Maybe Dallas can simply throw us a pick or prospect to even out the trade a bit.

And yeah, I really don't think we'll be competing any time soon, so I don't mind sucking it up for a couple more years. When Babcock got to TO, he said there was going to be a lot of hurt until the team would start to be good again. Fortunately for them, they won the Matthews sweepstakes, which almost instantly turned it around for them. For us, our mgmt team tried to mitigate the hurt by trying to stay competitive; it failed and it looks like the hurt is probably going to last at least another couple years and last longer than it should have been.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
micky107 wrote: Tanev and Baertschi is too much.

Well, I think we have a lot of wingers in the similar mold of Baercheese (dinky forward types): Granlund, Boucher, Rodin, Goldolbin, Dahlen, etc. For whatever reason, I was never big on Baer and I think some of those other guys have better potential than him. I wouldn't mind selling high on Baer. Maybe Dallas can simply throw us a pick or prospect to even out the trade a bit.

And yeah, I really don't think we'll be competing any time soon, so I don't mind sucking it up for a couple more years. When Babcock got to TO, he said there was going to be a lot of hurt until the team would start to be good again. Fortunately for them, they won the Matthews sweepstakes, which almost instantly turned it around for them. For us, our mgmt team tried to mitigate the hurt by trying to stay competitive; it failed and it looks like the hurt is probably going to last at least another couple years and last longer than it should have been.
I don't think Baer is an elite player but he does have a chemistry with Horvat. Sometimes these good fortune, somewhat surprising things happen.
I actually think we are just beginning to see how good Granlund is going to be.

I do mind sucking. Doesn't need to be that way.. Not saying big points in the standings but you most assuredly can play a more entertaining brand of hockey than we have been witness to,

Honestly, if it hadn't been for this board and needing to watch to stay informed, I would have cranked off the TV or switched to an old episode of "Mayday" or something.

Over the last 2 years, we have either looked confused or disinterested out of the gate in the first periods.
In particular, at home.
"evolution"
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

I'd keep Baertchi, he and Bo actually have great chemistry, with a team lacking much of that, might as well keep what little chemistry we have.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

The most success Sven has ever had, be it in the Dub or AHL, was under the tutelage of Green.

Sven stays.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote:
SKYO wrote: Team would just need a stop gap playmaker for the next couple of years like Kerfoot who seems more and more likely to reach UFA.
I think you've cracked the code! That explains why JB has been saying he's looking at a dman at #5.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Boy, I'd luv to see JB get that 3rd pick from Dallas. I wouldn't mind offering Tanev+ for it (throw in Bearcheese?).
Dayum, that is an aggressive proposal! I dig it. I don't think Tanev+ a 2nd would get it done.
Adam Larsson got the Devils Taylor Hall.....at the time Hall was only surpassed in LW scoring by Benn and Ovechkin over the previous 4 seasons.

Tanev isn't as physical as Larsson, but he's more mobile, and just as smart. Tanev has also been a guy who makes his d partners better with his reliable consistency. That 3rd pick is a total crapshoot at this point and who knows if the player is the next Joe Thornton, Claude Giroux, or Alexandre Daigle. Tanev + a 3rd rounder should make that trade doable, toss in something else and take back Niemi or Lehtonen as a 1 year cap dump and let Miller walk. All things being equal a 2nd round pick or a prospect make the trade far more palatable for Dallas management to sell to their fans.

But truth be told, fans put way more stock and place a much higher value on draft picks than they often are worth simply because of the excitement that goes along with speculating about how good a player may turn out to be.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:Kerfoot will be turning 23 years old in a couple months, he's no spring chicken, he has elusive speed, two-way ability superb on-ice vision/hockey sense with an above average passing skill, all which should make him a decent bottom six center pretty quick.
I love how you took the scouting report from HF, reworded it, and made it your own. Way to seize the creative initiative. Brilliantly done. :lol:
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

I just have to dumb it down for you meds.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:I just have to dumb it down for you meds.
The bit about him being no spring chicken brought it home for me. Thanks bud. :P
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

I'm here to help! 8-)

Bob McKenzie: "Trading Tanev to pick Makar is a stiff price"

http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-799?smc=10
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:I'm here to help! 8-)

Bob McKenzie: "Trading Tanev to pick Makar is a stiff price"

http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-799?smc=10
If it's straight up Tanev for the 3rd, then it's not stiff at all. Any and all decisions on players and trades should be made with an eye focused on (God forgive me) 2-3 years from now.

In 3 years Tanev will be 30, that's not when we contend, that's when we should be fighting for the final few playoff spots. 2 years beyond that is when we contend, at that point Bo should be the uncontested leader of our team at a ripe old age of 27. He shouldn't be expected to be our top scorer, or even the defacto #1C, but there better be a quality group for him to lead. Tanev won't be a major part of that, but moving him now and selling high, means he can contribute with his departure. And if Makar is NHL ready, well then we have a RHD coming in to replace the RHD going out.

Another reason why Benning should have forced Edler out via the expansion draft. He should have cut one of these side deals with Vegas, told them he would leave him exposed for a pick and conditional future something.

If a player isn't part of the future of the franchise then don't show them the loyalty that they feel entitled to unless they are, like the Sedins, the first 1000 point players in franchise history, or some other such reason.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:I'd keep Baertchi, he and Bo actually have great chemistry, with a team lacking much of that, might as well keep what little chemistry we have.
True, I just think much of Baercheese's success is because of BoHo, Bo is the one driving the bus and carrying the line. Bo seems to play well whoever he's with. I remember in his rookie year, he was with Dorsett-Hansen on the 4th line and they were pretty good together (almost elite 4th line). As for Baer, I haven't noticed him playing really well when he's with other guys.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The sense is that Dallas wants Tanev and the 5OA for the 3OA. That's a deal I don't make. The cost of Tanev just to move up two spots, no thanks. But as McKenzie said, Tanev for just the 3OA is still a high price for the Canucks. But I would do that one for a lot of reasons.

Although Buffalo's 8OA plus Kane would intrigue me. I doubt they throw in Reinhardt with the pick. That's the weed talking.
The only HW the Canucks need