The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote:Mittelstadt isn't totally out of shape, lacking upper power.

Special Olympics?
:lol: At least he gets a medal
Speaking of love child he looks like the offspring of Steve Armitage and Constable Ann Drennan.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Constable Ann Drennan.
:lol:
Don't remind the dude about the one that got away...he'll blame Gillis for that too
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

:lol:
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
bckev wrote:I don't think I would trade Tanev for first over all, I would want more. I think Sbisa is worth a first on his own.I agree I wouldn't offer much to sweeten the pot to move up. This draft is too volatile, there is a good chance that the best player of the draft may be taken in the second or third round. This is a draft with lots of players with upside, but they all come with blemishes. How well they are developed will be huge. I can see trading Tanev for an established player so you know what you have coming in. Nathan Mckinnon would work for me.

LOL is this guy the love child of Doc and Dude ?

Talk about overating Canucks players. Sbisa is worth a 5th rounder at best and Taney would do well to return a top 10 pick
You hear so many rumours, I have no idea what Tanev would fetch at this point in time. I doubt he would secure the 1st overall, no matter how weak the draft may be. However, based on the Larsson trade and others last year, I would say he is easily worth a top ten pick in weaker draft year.
As for Sbisa, I'm going to split the difference with you two. No way you get a first but he's also worth more than a fifth.
Even noted Canuck hater Mark Spector seems to agree:

"VEGAS PICK PROJECTION
Luca Sbisa, D
This is a tough choice, because there really isn’t a lot to pick from on a depleted Canucks roster. But Sbisa fits the bill as a player who can help Vegas through its maiden season, and then be turned over at the 2018 trade deadline to a contender seeking blue line depth. Have a good year in Vegas, and he might recycle into a second- or third-round draft pick. That thought process will be a big part of the Golden Knights’ protocol in this expansion draft."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vanc ... t-preview/
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Rocky Dennis wrote: "VEGAS PICK PROJECTION
Luca Sbisa, D
This is a tough choice, because there really isn’t a lot to pick from on a depleted Canucks roster. But Sbisa fits the bill as a player who can help Vegas through its maiden season, and then be turned over at the 2018 trade deadline to a contender seeking blue line depth. Have a good year in Vegas, and he might recycle into a second- or third-round draft pick. That thought process will be a big part of the Golden Knights’ protocol in this expansion draft."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vanc ... t-preview/
Yeah a lot of mock drafts have Vegas picking Sbisa as he does hold trade value - more trade value than gaunce/pedan/boucher anyways, especially at the 2018 TDD a perfect depth dman for a contender.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

One of Vilardi, Heiskanen, Glass and Makar.

I'm pissed if Helmet Head Steve Drennan is the pick
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Penguins and the Blackhawks the modern cap gods of championships.

Now with the Leaves and Oilers about to take their place soon upon the upper echelon of teams, IF the Canucks want a championship within the next 10+ years, the team needs another top tier center to help big Bo Horvat asap.

Patrick or deal for S. Reinhart fits the mold, Benning do what you gotta do to make it happen.

As the recent champs prove all you need is a few QB's and some meh dmen to help your all-star centers.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blobbee didn't like William Nylander either, because of how he looked. Is Mittlestadt the next "should have ignored how silly he looks and drafted him?"
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Blobbee didn't like William Nylander either, because of how he looked. Is Mittlestadt the next "should have ignored how silly he looks and drafted him?"
That's a load of shit. I had no problem with Nylander
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

It is getting near draft and I just spent an hour going over various mock drafts again. It would seem Vilardi is our best choice and after him the high schooler from Minn. Makar is tempting but we need size and skill up front rather than an uber QB for PP. Pittsburgh just won without their best D who was injured. An earlier comment on strength up the middle seems bang on. We got Horvat and I truly believe he would get the number one in this draft IF we were dumb enough to trade him.

He was one thing the old GM got really right
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

damonberryman wrote:It is getting near draft and I just spent an hour going over various mock drafts again.

It would seem Vilardi is our best choice and after him the high schooler from Minn. Makar is tempting but we need size and skill up front rather than an uber QB for PP. Pittsburgh just won without their best D who was injured. An earlier comment on strength up the middle seems bang on. We got Horvat and I truly believe he would get the number one in this draft IF we were dumb enough to trade him.

He was one thing the old GM got really right
Yes at number 5 Vilardi is the first choice, if he's not available take the talented Swede Pettersson.

But they might take Glass akin to taking Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander.

2nd round - two of: Urho Vaakanainen, Filip Chytil, Henri Jokiharju, Bowers, Joni Ikonen
3rd round - Robin Salo
4th round - goalie time Cayden Primeau, if still around small fella Mason Shaw.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

For the second round I'd rather Benning take two of Shaw, Gadjovich, Brook or Salo. I don't think Salo will be available in the third round.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Would be nice to pick up Gadjovich or Comtois in the second round. This team needs to stop targeting the 175 pound guys and load up on some beef.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I'm with everyone that says we don't want smallish players. However, some of these kids are just that, kids! There are kids in the draft nearly a year apart in age, that year at 17-18 can make a massive difference.

This is where the research and interviews come in, what players are close to maturity and who is going to be able to put on 20-30 lbs of muscle?

It's great to grab an 18 year old who has a close to NHL physique but those are pretty few and far between. Instead look for the players who are dedicated, willing to put in the effort to gain muscle and work their ass off on their game.

We aren't going to get an NHL ready prospect unless we move up, so look for someone who is still filling out and will be ready in a year or more!
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

I am hopeful that the Canucks are able to get Vilardi at 5. However, if he is gone by that point then it likely means that Makar or possibly Heiskenan are available at 5. A couple of rankings, Button for one, have Heiskenan going after Makar. I likely take Heiskenan at that point over Pettersson and see if I can deal with our center needs another way.