The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It must have angered the Dude when Elmer took Gadjovich in the 2nd round. He's 210 pounds for Christ sakes , they need smaller guys not big goons like this. I mean this guy finishes his checks, he gets into fights and goes hard to the net. Dude doesn't like that crap. He wants Canuck players who are 170 pounds and are afraid to play in traffic or play with any tenacity.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Lol Paddy. I honestly think a lot of the posters here admire the Sedins for turning the other cheek.
The only time I ever felt so shitty about the state of the franchise was Lemieux the Turtle zamboni-ing Linden...
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Madcombinepilot wrote:

The player you described wasnt available at the draft. Period. If he was, we would have drafted him. Always lacked a quality that the team needs, or had a quality we didn't want. We drafted skill first in both of your mentioned first rounds, and size and grit in the later rounds.

Take your batflips and mic drops and crap and troll off to the Bluejay boards...
What player wasn't available when they picked? The last 2 years our genius went with a D that won't help the club for another 2 years and a soft thin Swedish player when in both drafts there was more NHL ready players.

Did he do the right thing? We won't know for 3-5 years from now, that is how long it will take the last 2 1st round picks to make an impact on this team.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Lol Paddy. I honestly think a lot of the posters here admire the Sedins for turning the other cheek.
The only time I ever felt so shitty about the state of the franchise was Lemieux the Turtle zamboni-ing Linden...
That video gets my blood boiling every time and not cause I feel sorry for Sedin!
Look: It takes a combination of different skills to make a team good.
We don't seem to grasp that concept.
Maybe the league is moving away from "Big & Heavy", but probably not for long.
But you cannot discourage smaller skilled players either or even big skilled players that don't fight in the park, after school.
Team philosophy is the answer but you gotta have ALL the pieces and we aren't even close yet, but wait, there's more!
A few years back, the league thought, for safety reasons, to move the goal lines forward. They actually did it twice.
It was also thought, it would create more play behind the net. Just one thing though.
The ice length between the goal lines is considerably shorter and it makes a hell of a difference.
It's part of why big and heavy worked so well.
End effect is, it sure as hell is not safer behind the net but plenty more play, for sure.
It would be a bitch to renovate all the buildings but it would be a better game if the length between the goal lines was restored to it's original. Skilled skaters would be rewarded and hitting would become more of the "ART" it was.
Fighting would still be fighting and for the record, I love it. (even the staged ones).....
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Boi ole Boi the old school rock em sock em hockey template is still valid with some. Don Cherry dingbat'ism running rampant, aaaahhhhgain
The two-time Champions, citing abuse to their star players, just traded (a lot) for Ryan Reeves.

Not gonna argue that Juolevi and Petterrson aren't good prospects, but this team is going to need a lot more balls as the younger players transition into the league.

Certainly wouldn't mind them taking a stab at Michael Haley, Chris Thorburn and/or Roman Polak.
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

That video gets my blood boiling too because people focus on it to suggest that the Sedins are soft. The context for Daniel taking those hits was the Chicago series the year before in which, in response to Dave Bollands pestering antics, Daniel got criticized for taking a selfish roughing penalty. Boston likely felt that they could tempt Daniel to take an ill-timed penalty and Daniel took one for the team in the Boston series probably assuming that the refs would be professional.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Lets face it Linc...nobody likes a pussy...everybody knew the refs put the whistles away and it was time to man up....except the sedins? They even let TT in on the action ffs...

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have always laid the blame squarely on AV's "play between the whistles", no retaliation dictate.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

micky107 wrote:Maybe the league is moving away from "Big & Heavy", but probably not for long.
This is one of the factors that has me reluctant to criticize individual personnel moves. I don't see how a GM is supposed to guess what kind of league he is building his team to play in. Build a fast & skilled team for big & tough league, and risk getting run out of the rink. Build a big & tough team for a fast & skilled league, and watch the game skate past you, often from the penalty box. It makes the players who can thrive in either environment extremely valuable, but these are so rare few teams have more than a couple -- not enough to build a team around or an identity upon.

I have a suspicion that the kind of league the head office wants varies according to the kind of team built by the most successful of those organizations with Most Favoured Franchise status in any given season.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote:I have always laid the blame squarely on AV's "play between the whistles", no retaliation dictate.
Yep - and his legacy continues.

As for the speed vs grit team building theory? It seems you need a mix (and always have). This league will always waver between the two, but although the trend is for less fighting, that doesn't mean you don't need some players that will hit and retaliate when the refs don't do their (perceived) jobs.

Speed and skill have always been needed in hockey - but for the teams that don't have it, they can rely on other measures to slow the other team down. Maybe it's the coach setting up a trap or it's a few players that make the skill guys keep their heads up (and slow down a little).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

In terms of the Boston series, the refs didn't entirely put down their whistles given the call on Rome for a hit that in the playoffs shouldn't be called when things get relaxed. I agree with Cornuck that you need a mix of players on a team and some that hit and retaliate. Apart from Torres and Rypien, we haven't had a lot of those types. In fact, I don't recall Marchand or Keith ever receiving payback from the Canucks which in my mind should have been addressed by the team in a meaningless regular season game. Perhaps the memories of Bertuzzi/Moore still linger on.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

RoyalDude wrote:
olpaddy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
olpaddy wrote:Juolevi for his sake I hope that this team doesn't sign a d-man in free agency...
Personally I think Juolevi is at least a year away.

And no way does the Genius sign anyone that would block him on the left side.

Don't forget Edler is only with us for two years maximum.

As an aside, Edler to Ottawa to play with Karlsson makes a lot of sense amirite? :mex:
II don't see it with Edler in Ottawa they are still trying to get Dion to waive... Its one thing for Burrows to waive to get closer to home and go to Ottawa its another for Edler to Waive to go to a team who isn't a lock to win anything & to go to a Canadian city... U don't think the GM re ups 23???

Doc Im know scout don't profess to be one or anything like that but I have seen Oli play live 10-12 times in the last two years... I think he is a nice player I like him as a player but when u draft in the top 5 I need more than nice... Thats where Walt Jr comes in to play... I think hes Oli Maata and I like Oli Maata like him alot but not at 5th overall...

Pacific Blue if u read this chime in IMO if Juolevi was in a draft with Makar Heiskenen and Rasmus Dahlin I think he is the last blueliner picked.. No shame in that by any means but I hope people don't make the kid out to be a saviour.. Doc I think he is two years away..
Boi ole Boi the old school rock em sock em hockey template is still valid with some. Don Cherry dingbat'ism running rampant, aaaahhhhgain

Paddy old friend whats the deal, do not tell me you are suffering from some kind of inferiority complex like the Blob and DougINs MacKenzie? Next thing ya know we will all be arguing who's Dad is tougher. You win by your first line skill and sorry the soft Sedins are our first line skill guys and not Getzlaf and Thornton. The way the ball bounces sometimes but to displace that aggression on drafting a Finn defenseman instead of a retaliatory cry baby winger is, well, comical and not intelligent discussion. Come on Paddy, you're better than this. You being upset that Juolevi will not apparently be the next Doughty, Karlsson, Burns, OEL to make up for not drafting a dumb ass cry baby face washer who beats up euro Wennbergs is pretty sad my friend. Olli is a very good prospect, accept it. Accept that he's not Brent Burns
Sidenote My ol man is tougher :P anyways Listen the game has changed, but one thing that will never change is intimidation... The game is a skating game a skill game BUT the team that has won back to back Stanley Cups with the Best Player in the game went out and traded for Ryan Reeves... intimidation will always be a part of this league in some form...

My thoughts on Juolevi remain the same I think he is a nice d man to take a d man that high he should be a top pairing guy a 1 or at the very least no worse than a 2 Best case scenario in two years is he a 2nd pairing guy He is Oli Maata... Both guys played in London Both guys roughly similar stats similar builds Juolevi could fill out like Maata who carries probably 20-25 pounds on Juolevi... But if the Pens came to Pacific Blue and offered you Oli Maata for the 5th pick in 2016 or Maata for the 5th pick this year I kinda think I know what your response would be.. I just thought Walt Jr at 5 last year Provided more Value to this team...

As far as the Twins go They will probably be re upped not based on merit or their play but new deals will be given because they are mentors... I don't feel that they are cutout for that role... I get they are the faces of the franchise but turning the other cheek to the point where they have had their dignity taken away... Thats no exaggeration its sickens me it absolutey sickens me to watch... it reminds me of My Bodyguard u remember that classic Pacific Blue with Chris Makepeace who was a tour de force in one of the littlest Hobo episodes any ways Chris make Peace hires a body guard to protect him from Moody but he takes a shit kickin and then he runs away turning the other cheek

sorta like this

fortunately in the movie there is redemption not unlike a Bob Marley Song sweet redemption... Chris Makepeace stands up for himself versus Matt Dillon's moody with the Help of Chucks Spy handler.... I also feel that as long as these twins are involved with this club on ice we will never see redemption we will always run away or get speed bagged or dive or have Joe Thorton ask us to smell his fingers... We deserve a happy ending Pacific Blue

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pacific Blue used to like smelling fingers at the Astoria
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Pacific Blue used to like smelling fingers at the Astoria
:lol:

Old Paddy with the round about rant that I think(?) i agree with lol.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: As an aside, Edler to Ottawa to play with Karlsson makes a lot of sense amirite? :mex:
How about Karlsson to Vancouver to play with Edler....? :mex:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.