The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Uncle dans leg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Pacific Blue used to like smelling fingers at the Astoria
:lol:

Old Paddy with the round about rant that I think(?) i agree with lol.
nobody forks...with the jesus

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Strangelove wrote: As an aside, Edler to Ottawa to play with Karlsson makes a lot of sense amirite? :mex:
How about Karlsson to Vancouver to play with Edler....? :mex:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:16 pm

micky107 wrote: Maybe the league is moving away from "Big & Heavy", but probably not for long.
But you cannot discourage smaller skilled players either or even big skilled players that don't fight in the park, after school.
Team philosophy is the answer but you gotta have ALL the pieces and we aren't even close yet, but wait, there's more!
Yeah, agreed. Even though it seems like the league is moving away from big doods, I think there will always be room for big guys who can play. Especially in the playoffs when the refs leaves their whistles in their pockets, it's great to have big doods who can grind out those 7 game series. Big strong teams like the B and the Kings will be back hoisting the Cup sooner than later.

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Per wrote: How about Karlsson to Vancouver to play with Edler....? :mex:
Edler for Princess Phaneuf, think they both would waive? :P

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:55 pm

olpaddy wrote: U don't think the GM re ups 23???
OMG that would KILL poster Meds!! :lol:

I'm in. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Big strong teams like the B and the Kings will be back hoisting the Cup sooner than later.
That's an interesting point. It seems to me that the big bad old-time hockey teams are the rarity amongst cup winners, especially pre-2011.

LA x2 and Anaheim were true bruisers, Boston wasn't until the Final - the hockey media in SJ was actually complaining about the tuff Canucks racking up PIMs in the 2011 WCF. But Boston had the right amount of toughness and favour from the refs to neutralize the Canucks.

I don't think most people would consider the other champs of the past 20 years to be old-time tuff hockey - Detroit, Colorado, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Tampa. I suppose NJ was a tough, dirty team.

It seems to me that about 1 out of every 4 Champions is a big bruising team. The rest win on skill. Other than 2011-2014, anyway.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:38 am

At the end of it all, I think the right word is "Durability".
"evolution"

Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Puck » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:35 pm

micky107 wrote:At the end of it all, I think the right word is "Durability".
Fascinating.

If I'm not mistaken, ol' Hank was NHL Iron Man for a long time despite having to endure all kinds of illegal crap from guys like Brown. Well, I must be mistaken, a guy that soft couldn't possibly be durable.

Regarding the Marchand fiasco, that pile of crap should've been ejected for that garbage. It's one of the most embarrassing examples of the NHL's total lack of discipline or control that I've ever seen. Really, there should have been a penalty called at punch 2, maybe 3 then the hockey world would've said "Marchand has cost his team with his undisciplined actions." It was completely appalling officiating. How, after all this time, it's somehow Daniel's fault is fucked up. And don't haul out the tired, cliche "it's a tough game". Yes, it is, but rugby and football are brutal and those leagues would have suspended Marchand in a heart beat.

sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Puck wrote:
Fascinating.

If I'm not mistaken, ol' Hank was NHL Iron Man for a long time despite having to endure all kinds of illegal crap from guys like Brown. Well, I must be mistaken, a guy that soft couldn't possibly be durable.

Regarding the Marchand fiasco, that pile of crap should've been ejected for that garbage. It's one of the most embarrassing examples of the NHL's total lack of discipline or control that I've ever seen. Really, there should have been a penalty called at punch 2, maybe 3 then the hockey world would've said "Marchand has cost his team with his undisciplined actions." It was completely appalling officiating. How, after all this time, it's somehow Daniel's fault is fucked up. And don't haul out the tired, cliche "it's a tough game". Yes, it is, but rugby and football are brutal and those leagues would have suspended Marchand in a heart beat.
Puck, I had to sign in today just to tell you that this post is by far the most intelligent, well thought out on this damn message board since that incident happened. I'm sure Danny was following his coaches order to a tee, and then was let down in the most colossal way by the incompetent biased officiating EVER!! Bravo for putting it into words!

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Puck wrote:
Fascinating.

If Dank fought back and got a penalty for retaliating, the same people who called him soft would have called him selfish.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:31 pm

Well the one time Dank tried taking it a player he got cross checked in the face as retaliation.
The only HW the Canucks need

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Strangelove wrote:
olpaddy wrote: U don't think the GM re ups 23???
OMG that would KILL poster Meds!! :lol:

I'm in. :mrgreen:
Love you too Doc. :lol:

I would throw shit on the ice every game I made it to if they did that.

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Puck wrote:
Fascinating.

If Dank fought back and got a penalty for retaliating, the same people who called him soft would have called him selfish.
No, totally wrong.

They would of said he did what he needed to do to stand up to Bostons antics. It might of also given his teammates some extra zip to their game knowing their leader was standing up to the crap. Instead they did nothing and IMO it had a negative impact on the team and it allowed Boston to know they could intimidate the Nuck players.

Hockey is a game of intimidation.

We were not asking him to go apeshit and get ejected from the game, just stand up for himself.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:45 pm

Reefer2 wrote:We were not asking him to go apeshit and get ejected from the game...
Sometimes I miss Momesso. :D
2017 - The Road to 65™

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Puck wrote:
Fascinating.

Henrik played through a ton of injuries during that streak. Minor ones that noticeably hampered his game at times, same with Dank, who only sat out when it was a broken limb or something, and I think now we are seeing some of that in their decline. Nobody questioned their toughness in regards to their ability to take a pounding and keep playing though. But not too many athletes are inspired by leadership that takes it over and over and never pushes back.

They had a 4-5 year window where the league called shit squarely and they were able to razzle-dazzle their opponents and make them pay on the PP. That window closed in 2011.